HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Thinking about getting the Vapor 6.0's. Any reviews?

I currently use pro stock X:60's from the Utah Grizzlies ECHL.
Just looking to get a decent skate without paying too much.
Very decent skate similar to the old X:50. Make sure it fits you well obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Anyone know whats the difference between Bauer's Vapor and Supreme Total One line? I tried out the NXG yesterday and it felt great. Probably will be purchasing a pair this spring if i find a good deal.
I covered that on the very first page...

Searching through the rest of the thread should give you answers as well.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

I covered that on the very first page...

Searching through the rest of the thread should give you answers as well.
Oh i see. Seems the total one series suits my feet better.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Oh i see. Seems the total one series suits my feet better.
How do you know? You need to try them on to make that call.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
How do you know? You need to try them on to make that call.
Because i tried out the NXG's and they felt great. I can't deal with a narrower boot. My feet hate CCM's for some reason, even you said in your starting post that they were similar to Supreme's.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:35 PM
eww7633

Have a pair of Reebok 5ks, 2010 I believe. I do like the skate but my right foot is much wider than my left (and also a half size bigger). This causes my right foot great pain while playing. I'm thinking of getting a pair of CCM u+ 12s or CLs in an E width. Does anyone know an online shop that will sell two different size skates? I saw one but forgot who it was. And as far as size, should I stick with a nine even though my right toes are a bit smushed in the cap, or should I get a 9.5 and have my left skate be a bit bigger on that foot?

Old
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eww7633 View Post
Have a pair of Reebok 5ks, 2010 I believe. I do like the skate but my right foot is much wider than my left (and also a half size bigger). This causes my right foot great pain while playing. I'm thinking of getting a pair of CCM u+ 12s or CLs in an E width. Does anyone know an online shop that will sell two different size skates? I saw one but forgot who it was. And as far as size, should I stick with a nine even though my right toes are a bit smushed in the cap, or should I get a 9.5 and have my left skate be a bit bigger on that foot?
No shop will sell you a pair in different sizes, unless there is the extremely rare circumstance that they have a mismatched pair in your model, width and size lol, or some other unnatural circumstance. If you come across this site, post the link, I'm curious lol. If you have the money, consider custom skates. Having too much room can be more detrimental than having too little. I would say look at the 9 and allow that boot to break in, giving you more space up front.

Quote:
Because i tried out the NXG's and they felt great. I can't deal with a narrower boot. My feet hate CCM's for some reason, even you said in your starting post that they were similar to Supreme's.
Cool, I think that they are similar in certain aspects, but that is all dependent on the individual. Like you, I fit decently in the NXGs but feel all kinds of awkward pressure points in the CCM.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just got a pair of CL's, went with E width. After first bake, took a skate & my left boot wasn't near wide enough for my foot. Turns out that my left foot is wider than my right. Did a second bake & put pressure on my left outsole (pushed out with my foot) during the hot fitting. Worked perfect, the boot/ foam widened to my foot. They're unbelievably comfortable now.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

spent 1.5 hours trying on all skates last night, APX, one9, nexus1000, ccm lite and ended up getting the one9 they feel so good on my feet i am really excited to use them (coming off injury)

Old
03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Kulikov Is King
LETS GO PANTHERS!!!

So i got my CCM u+ CL Baked. and i feel like it did nothing. I got it done at my LHS but when i put them on my feet they really didnt feel warm... is this normal with this skate? or did something go wrong?

Old
03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
I had that same skate and just upgraded to 20ks a few weeks ago. You can go back the last couple/few pages and read about my experiences a bit if you wish.

I can say this though. I purposely bought a smaller skate that my 5ks. At first I liked it, then I had a bit of a worry. After a bake and a few skates I think I could have went even smaller! I obviously don't know you or you feet, but keep this in mind. Your foot will stretch out the skate a bit and I would think as long as your feet aren't too different your skates will adjust to each foot properly after a bake and some time.

Also, the 20ks were the first time I baked a skate and it makes a pretty dramatic difference. I could be wrong, but I think today's skates are generally "worse" fitting before a bake than earlier years.

CCMs are able to be baked before you buy too, so maybe you want to try that? My LHS guy said they REALLY change when you bake, so if they feel like crap when you try them on, it could be completely different after a bake. Just some fyi.

Good luck.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:20 PM
HeavyCn

Bauer Dilemma

I currently am skating in a pair of Bauer Nexus 600's. They fit ok, but I am busting out of them a little bit and the heel hock could be better. I have tried both the Graf insole and the Superfeet yellow insole and the Superfeet push my feet up to much and when I lace them up I get lace bite, while the Graf inserts are better but the heel lock still just is not there. I already wear skate socks and have switched between cloth and waxed laces. I have tried on every skate currently out and in every one I either bust out of it, or the heel lock is not good. The only other skate that comes close to working is the Bauer Supreme One.9. In the D width the heel lock is excellent without even lacing them up but the forefoot seems to be a little to small and hurts a bit. When I go up to a EE width the heel becomes like my Nexus 600's, just ok but not to where it should be. Should I pick up a pair of One.9's and get the forefoot stretched or would I be better just sticking with the Nexus 600's and try to get something to get a better heel lock? Or is there another skate I have passed over that would work better? If it helps to suggest skates I am 6'1" and 230 lbs with a wide forefoot and a high instep. Any help or input would be appreciated!

Last edited by HeavyCn: 03-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
AIREAYE

I would try a bunch of things with your existing skates before considering new ones. Insoles should play no part in achieving better heel lock.

Check out this thread for some insight into Stable26 socks and Ankle Booties : http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...eel-lock-help/

Old
03-05-2013, 08:37 AM
thedonger

i agree with air in trying the stable 26 before buying new skates. they've been getting some buzz from equipment managers.

if that doesn't work out, see if you can find some graf g9's in your area. probably the deepest skates i've tried on to date(and i've tried on flexlite 4.0 pro's which were the precursor to the nexus), but the heel didn't seem to be as roomy as the flexlites.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:16 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i agree with air in trying the stable 26 before buying new skates. they've been getting some buzz from equipment managers.

if that doesn't work out, see if you can find some graf g9's in your area. probably the deepest skates i've tried on to date(and i've tried on flexlite 4.0 pro's which were the precursor to the nexus), but the heel didn't seem to be as roomy as the flexlites.
I can attest to the GRAF 709. I have a huge problem with skates being deep enough and they are the only skate that has passed a depth test with a pencil. The heel lock is superb, even when loosely laced up. Try them and see if they work for you.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
HeavyCn

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I can attest to the GRAF 709. I have a huge problem with skates being deep enough and they are the only skate that has passed a depth test with a pencil. The heel lock is superb, even when loosely laced up. Try them and see if they work for you.
Thanks everybody for their input. I will definitely try a pair of the stable 26 socks. Also if those don't work and I want to try the 709 would I get the same size as my Nexus 600's since they seem to fit well in the forefoot or should I get a narrow size? Would it even be feasible to go down a size to an 8 or 8 1/2?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCn View Post
Thanks everybody for their input. I will definitely try a pair of the stable 26 socks. Also if those don't work and I want to try the 709 would I get the same size as my Nexus 600's since they seem to fit well in the forefoot or should I get a narrow size? Would it even be feasible to go down a size to an 8 or 8 1/2?
I wore a 9 Bauer and fit in a 9 GRAF. The 709 comes in a Regular and Wide width, which you might want to try both. I believe the 709 has a slightly narrow forefoot.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Duffman

This past weekend I dropped into a used sporting goods store to see if they had any goalie pants. While I was there I took a peak at the skates since I knew the local Reebok sales rep had been through the store recently to sell "old" gear.

I ended up coming across an unused pair of Reebok 10k goalie skates that were my size and a near perfect fit (I have never found a perfect fitting skate of any kind). They had never even been sharpened!!! Needless to say I bought them since my skates were 10+ years old and falling apart.

I have never had any of my skates heat molded. Can I get them baked or do it myself? I'm thinking about doing a "test run" on my roller blades that are not yet broken in.

Since I bought them "used" I know that they have no warranty. Is it worth the risk of ruining the skates?

Old
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
AIREAYE

Nice! I wouldn't attempt it at home, only at a trusted store with an oven where you pay them for a bake. If hesitant, I would leave it. If it fits really well now and considering that they're goal skates as well as Reebok, you might want to break them in the old fashioned way.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Duffman

While wearing them for a pick-up skate I just had the normal aching on the outside of the balls of my feet.

I'll probably follow your advise and break them in the old fashioned way (i.e. have at least 2 beers in the hour prior to skating and several after).

Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
While wearing them for a pick-up skate I just had the normal aching on the outside of the balls of my feet.

I'll probably follow your advise and break them in the old fashioned way (i.e. have at least 2 beers in the hour prior to skating and several after).
A few more of those and you won't even feel the difference!

Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Man Bear Pig

My Bauers have been killing me lately for some reason. Damn lace-bite. I now wear something on my ankle as well as two pairs of socks.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
My Bauers have been killing me lately for some reason. Damn lace-bite. I now wear something on my ankle as well as two pairs of socks.
I had pretty bad lace-bite from my forward skates. I used lace-bite pads under the tongue of my skate that I bought at hockey monkey. After buying them and using them I could have saved a few bucks by just using a piece of 1" thick foam. The foam just has to be dense enough to prevent the laces from digging in but suft enough to comfortably fit under the tongue.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:01 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah, I use Elite's lacebite gel pad for the same reason.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Duffman

Quote:
The weird thing is that I don't need them on my goalie skates.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I hadn't had lace bite in years so it was a bit of a shock to see swelling the size of a golf ball on my ankle. I went to the local shop, guy sells them but had to order some.

Closed Thread