HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings VIII: Less then a month until the deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 03:41 AM
snizzbone*
ignore listed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
great, we're look for a winger next.
Lupul, JVR, Frattin, MacArthur, Kulemin

Old
03-06-2013, 03:58 AM
HappyGilmourr
#FireShapiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I have always been a fan of Statsny and I think his drop in production is ENTIRELY due to the fact the avs have given him no support opting to give the best wingers to ROR and Duschene Leaving Statsny with scraps.

Put Statsny with Kessel and JVR or Kessel and Lupul and watch what he does.

JVR Statsny Kessel

Lupul Kadri Clarkson/Horton looks like a solid top 6 to me
I agree I would make a move for Stastny. He is the only player even potentially available. I would say there is a 99% chance Getzlaf stays put. Stastny isn't a legit front line guy right now, but he could be a 70 point guy again playing with Kessel and JVR or Lupul. Then with the emergence of Nazem Kadri that is 2 potent guys down the middle... Then centre starts to look like a strength... Kadri and Stastny could both put 70 points.

I like your lines, but I think Kulemin could be that Clarkson/Horton type of player on the second line. He's struggled at times but its only because our coaches have an obsession with playing Kulemin with Grabovski... It's like because Grabo speaks russian they HAVE to play together. They haven't had that insane chemistry in over a year now but yet they are STILL playing together... Kulemin always plays good with elite players. This is a guy who did a pretty good job of riding shot gun with Malkin in the KHL, and a player who did very well with Kessel a couple of years ago (remember the Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel line?) Kulemin does an amazing job of creating space for top line players, and he's being seriously misused right now IMO. Kulemin would rack up some big points playing with Kessel or Kadri IMO.

JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin

Old
03-06-2013, 03:59 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
great, we're look for a winger next.

Backstrom >>>>>> Kessel

Old
03-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Defense

I would look to get Ovechkin out of Washington. Instead of paying a premium for a rental at trade deadline I would look to add this guy. If he doesn't work out, I'm sure Toronto can used one of the amnesty buyouts for him. I believe a move like this would be safe with the financial muscle MLSE has, but Ovechkin Leaf jersey sales and hype would be through the roof anyways so no real loss there.

Ovechkin a Leaf, Toronto would explode and this is a guy that loves being under the spotlight and thrives. Just like he does well under the microscope with Team Russia in international play.. id give him a shot.

An Ovechkin - Grabovski - Kulemin line would be interesting to watch. Or even seeing Kessels underrated play making abilities setting up Ovechkin with one-timers *drools* If Ovechkin did well with Semin, no doubt Kessel and Ovechkin could possibly work.

All that aside, I wonder if Ovechkin will ever ask a trade out of Washington. Anything is possible... heck Gretzky was traded. If the Leafs traded for Ovechkin, it'd go down in history... but Im also aware of the risks taken here at that contract but for me he is still only 27 years old.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
I wouldn't touch Backstrom with a 10' pole. Bad apple.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
SteveV*

Nazem Kadri?

Old
03-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Stephen Weiss is a glorified Tyler Bozak. I'll pass.
Greg Brady just said he was Phil Kessel's best\last chance to be a 40 goal scorer. Lmao. What an idiot. Stephen Weiss is Matt Stajan 2.0.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Greg Brady just said he was Phil Kessel's best\last chance to be a 40 goal scorer. Lmao. What an idiot. Stephen Weiss is Matt Stajan 2.0.
Brady and Lang are unlistenable, their ratings must suck.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
JackJ

Getz is the only center "available" worth overpaying for. Probably re-signing in Anaheim.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
pspot

I wasn't making the Riberio comment as a negative. There aren't to many C let a lone players that can put up 70+ a season

just not sure thats the guy you'd want as your #1 C. you want them to be able to be creative and take chance and I'd rather that as my #2

either way its good to seem him producing

....we really need a trade or a rumour

Old
03-06-2013, 08:46 AM
slozo

I suggested Backstrom a couple of weeks ago . . . and I honestly don't think it's as long a longshot as some may think.

IF the Caps continue to look like they miss the playoffs . . . there will absolutely have to be a shake-up. And we know it won't be Ovechkin (unmoveable, essentially, because of his monster contract and now underachieving ways) and it won't be the coach (he's too new). The next biggest name that they could get great return for is Backstrom, who has also dipped severely in production from those heady days of two years ago.

I think Stastny is perhaps a bit overrated, but I think he's a good option as well. Definitely a distant second to Backstrom, IMHO.

I don't think Getzlaf is going anywhere - I think he's the one to stay in Anaheim IF - and it's a big if - they break up the Big Three this summer / deal one of them this year.

I think Pavelski is gettable, but San Jose won't get rid of Couture, he is their keeper I think.

The rest I don't think I, nor Leafs management, are interested in.

The Deal To Be Made:
To Washington - Tyler Bozak, Joe Colborne, 2nd rounder.
To Toronto - Nicklas Backstrom

Old
03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
I would do it. Similar offensive output but Backstrom plays the more important position. Don't know if Washington would be interested but that is the type of trade I would include Kessel in.
That right there is why Washington wouldnt do it. Backstrom plays the more important position. Not to mention with Kuznetsov coming up in the near future, they shouldnt be too concerned with scoring goals or adding wingers.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
To Pittsburgh: Kessel, Benn

To Toronto: Eriksson

To Dallas: Malkin, Kulemin

Eriksson - Kadri - JVR
Mac - Grabovski - Lupul
HAHAHHAHAHA. Malkin. AHAHAHAhAH

Old
03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
hockeywiz542

Countdown to TradeCentre: The NHL Eastern Conference Report

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/2/0/878435/clip/537

Quote:
Countdown to TC: The East Report

We go across the country and look at the needs of the Canadian teams in the Eastern Conference.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:11 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Can we get back to talking trades?

If Nonis is seriously considering a top centre, and dangling Kessel .. What are realistic targets?

Giving the depth of wingers the Leafs have, it's not a completely outrageous idea
To be honest... Realistically, Kessel cannot get us a 1st line C, and he cant get us a top top C prospect.

Wat he CAN get (IMO) would be a 1B type of centre (think M. Richards, though LA would not do that trade so im just saying value wise) or a really good C prospect + other pieces, but not a Huberdeau/Galchenyuk calibre centre prospect.

Something like ~Coyle+ from Minnesota, where that + was a solid piece like Brodin. The type of centre prospects i think Kessel can get in a package? Coyle, Z-bad, Bjugstad, maybe a guy like Strome, etc. (again, only talking value, not team needs)

In terms of NHLers? Talking about value only and not team needs, M. Richards, Pavelski, J. Staal, Krejci, etc.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
To be honest... Realistically, Kessel cannot get us a 1st line C, and he cant get us a top top C prospect.

Wat he CAN get (IMO) would be a 1B type of centre (think M. Richards, though LA would not do that trade so im just saying value wise) or a really good C prospect + other pieces, but not a Huberdeau/Galchenyuk calibre centre prospect.

Something like ~Coyle+ from Minnesota, where that + was a solid piece like Brodin. The type of centre prospects i think Kessel can get in a package? Coyle, Z-bad, Bjugstad, maybe a guy like Strome, etc. (again, only talking value, not team needs)

In terms of NHLers? Talking about value only and not team needs, M. Richards, Pavelski, J. Staal, Krejci, etc.
thats been my thought as well.

Coyle is an interesting option, could he be a #1?
Johansen in Cls might be another one

or try and get a top pick for Mackinnon or Barkov
Buffalo definitely doesn't want to rebuild and they could have a really high pick.....imagine Kessel traded twice within the same division for a top pick lol

Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Get true #3 centerman, move Kadri to the first line, Grabovski to an offensive role.

Using an small, offensive centerman as your shutdown centerman isn't the best use of a 5.5 million cap hit.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Frattin
MacArthur-McClement-Komarov
Fraser-Steckel-Orr

Kulemin to Pittsburgh for a pick.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Anthrax442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
I would look to get Ovechkin out of Washington. Instead of paying a premium for a rental at trade deadline I would look to add this guy. If he doesn't work out, I'm sure Toronto can used one of the amnesty buyouts for him. I believe a move like this would be safe with the financial muscle MLSE has, but Ovechkin Leaf jersey sales and hype would be through the roof anyways so no real loss there.

Ovechkin a Leaf, Toronto would explode and this is a guy that loves being under the spotlight and thrives. Just like he does well under the microscope with Team Russia in international play.. id give him a shot.

An Ovechkin - Grabovski - Kulemin line would be interesting to watch. Or even seeing Kessels underrated play making abilities setting up Ovechkin with one-timers *drools* If Ovechkin did well with Semin, no doubt Kessel and Ovechkin could possibly work.

All that aside, I wonder if Ovechkin will ever ask a trade out of Washington. Anything is possible... heck Gretzky was traded. If the Leafs traded for Ovechkin, it'd go down in history... but Im also aware of the risks taken here at that contract but for me he is still only 27 years old.
I agree that that cesspool in Washington needs to be broken apart, but I don't think that they will trade Ovy, unless he expressly asks for it. They have invested too much into building up his brand.

I really have a problem with the way the NHL set itself up - there are franchises out there that should be dumping players left and right, and rebuild, they are holding on to them. Calgary, Detroit, Florida, Washington and a bit in Colorado are the 1st ones that should be in an aggressive rebuild. They lose the value of their tradeable assets too fast.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
thats been my thought as well.

Coyle is an interesting option, could he be a #1?
Johansen in Cls might be another one

or try and get a top pick for Mackinnon or Barkov
Buffalo definitely doesn't want to rebuild and they could have a really high pick.....imagine Kessel traded twice within the same division for a top pick lol
I would say a top pick for Kessel is very unlikely...

BUT, Buffalo might be an exception. They already have some really good pieces to build around, they have the goaltending, and they have the longterm centre depth. Myers is the question mark though, id guess theyd move a top pick for a D before trading it for a forward.

Not to mention if its a top 3 pick, it definitely wouldnt be traded for Kessel. Those guys could potentially step into the NHL next year and already perform at a relatively high level. My guess is it would be pretty unlikely to get a top 10 pick in this draft for him.

But if we could get say Coyle and Brodin for him? Id do it. But then again i value centres/D much more than wingers, especially wingers thay play Kessels type of game.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Nothing really new asides from Burmi from the jets being available.

03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Anthrax442

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Get true #3 centerman, move Kadri to the first line, Grabovski to an offensive role.

Using an small, offensive centerman as your shutdown centerman isn't the best use of a 5.5 million cap hit.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Frattin
MacArthur-McClement-Komarov
Fraser-Steckel-Orr

Kulemin to Pittsburgh for a pick.
I think Kadri would work better with JvR and Frattin and I don't really think there's much chance MacArthur stays on this team. They were grinding their teeth when they gave him his last contract, I don't think they will re-sign him for that or more. I wouldn't trade Kulemin- he is 2nd best PKer on the team.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I would say a top pick for Kessel is very unlikely...

BUT, Buffalo might be an exception. They already have some really good pieces to build around, they have the goaltending, and they have the longterm centre depth. Myers is the question mark though, id guess theyd move a top pick for a D before trading it for a forward.

Not to mention if its a top 3 pick, it definitely wouldnt be traded for Kessel. Those guys could potentially step into the NHL next year and already perform at a relatively high level. My guess is it would be pretty unlikely to get a top 10 pick in this draft for him.

But if we could get say Coyle and Brodin for him? Id do it. But then again i value centres/D much more than wingers, especially wingers thay play Kessels type of game.
I could see Buff, NYI and maybe even FLA rather an NHL ready star type player instead of another pick.

I think you'll see the teams hold on to their picks for the chance at Jones and then if they don't get him will see some movement at the top of the draft.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I think Kadri would work better with JvR and Frattin and I don't really think there's much chance MacArthur stays on this team. They were grinding their teeth when they gave him his last contract, I don't think they will re-sign him for that or more. I wouldn't trade Kulemin- he is 2nd best PKer on the team.
I think Carlyle likes MacArthur with Kadri, so they might be keeping him for the time being and I wouldn't be surprised to see him extended and kept as a fallback for Kadri if he doesn't mesh with Lupul and Kessel.

Might be better to move Kulemin for team and player.

Someone else will have to perform PK duties.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

This probably wont get accepted very well.

Marcel Goc always manages to impress me when we play Florida. Is good in mostly every situation (not great). For some reason i feel like giving him a try on the top line with Kessel.

Cheap way of attempting to see if there is something there. I only mention this because the leafs may need to dish Bozak due to his salary demands. We will need a stop gap. Hes got an extra year on his contract and is basically the same price as Bozak. Allows us to develop and attempt to sign someone in UFA. Basically a shot in the dark, that saves us from spending to much money at the deadline.

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 03-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
This will probably wont get accepted very well.

Marcel Gotch always manages to impress me when we play Florida. Is good in mostly every situation (not great). For some reason i feel like giving him a try on the top line with Kessel.

Cheap way of attempting to see if there is something there. I only mention this because the leafs may need to dish Bozak due to his salary demands. We will need a stop gap. Hes got an extra year on his contract and is basically the same price as Bozak. Allows us to develop and attempt to sign someone in UFA. Basically a shot in the dark, that saves us from spending to much money at the deadline.
What are Bozak's salary demands?

Don't believe what you hear on the sports shows, they're just throwing out numbers.

I was wondering about Legwand? Maybe it is time for Nashville to change this up?

Closed Thread