HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
hes lucky it got him in the brow, still a brutal injury but taking it directly in the eye or in the orbital bone is worse, hope hes ok

Old
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

vCash: 500
Ryane Clowe is just going to become the overpaid lug that is the whipping boy for losses. We don't want that.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
I really like Anisiminov last night. Try acquire him, move Gagner and Schultz for a bettter d-man.

As for Hemsky to STL. Caught a clip of Davidson this morning. He talked about how he has the hardest working team in the league and loves it. They will really have to love Hemsky and his work ethic.

Also sign and trade is a loophole accrording to Sportsnet. Man did I laugh. It was reported pretty much as soon as they brought up the 8 year deals for your own players and 7 years for guys who are UFA's from other teams. The real funny part is who the hell wants Weiss to a 7 year deal let alone 8?

Old
03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I really like Anisiminov last night. Try acquire him, move Gagner and Schultz for a bettter d-man.

As for Hemsky to STL. Caught a clip of Davidson this morning. He talked about how he has the hardest working team in the league and loves it. They will really have to love Hemsky and his work ethic.

Also sign and trade is a loophole accrording to Sportsnet. Man did I laugh. It was reported pretty much as soon as they brought up the 8 year deals for your own players and 7 years for guys who are UFA's from other teams. The real funny part is who the hell wants Weiss to a 7 year deal let alone 8?
I'm assuming that's NICK Schultz. I wonder if you could make a deal with the Jackets to get Anisimov and Tyutin around Gagner ++

I was thinking of this on my way to work, to change things up.

To BUF: Hartikainen, Peckham and Potter

To Edm: Leopold, Regehr and McCormick

They're both UFAs, so try to sign one or both if they work out. The Oilers may have to add, but it changes the dynamic of the blueline.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Really? I wasn't impressed with him at all. I know he scored a goal, but I really don't think he was in any way good tonight. Not to mention that goal was a travesty. It was a decent shot and all, but how is he allowed to just walk in like that?

My biggest problem with the idea of trading for Johnson is that you'd have to pay a top pairing price to get him (not to mention top pairing salary once you did) and he's just not a top pairing guy IMO. And while 26 isn't at all old, I don't know if there's really any more growth left in his game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He damn near scored on another shot which he rang off the bar. He adds a guy that can lug the puck up ice, has a big shot, and can play a physical brand of hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the tools. Jack Johnson looks exactly like you would want a defenseman to look like. He can get around the ice well on his skates, he can hammer the puck, he's 6'2" and well north of 200lbs. He's an absolute specimin. Unfortunately, he's kind of just a collection of desireable parts.

Jack Johnson to me is like a 12 year old driving a Ferrari. The machine is capable of amazing things, it's just that the guy behind the wheel was never taught to drive.

EDIT - I know this post makes it seem like I think Johnson is completely useless. I don't, I just don't think he's more than a 2nd pairing defenseman (at least not on a team that's going anywhere).
I agree with both of you the issue for me is as long as you aren't giving up 1st pairing assets for him I think you have to take him. We need to be able to push one of the current top 4 down to the bottom pairing and get back that theory of defense by committee.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm assuming that's NICK Schultz. I wonder if you could make a deal with the Jackets to get Anisimov and Tyutin around Gagner ++

I was thinking of this on my way to work, to change things up.

To BUF: Hartikainen, Peckham and Potter

To Edm: Leopold, Regehr and McCormick

They're both UFAs, so try to sign one or both if they work out. The Oilers may have to add, but it changes the dynamic of the blueline.
I like putting Schultz probably gets the blood boiling for some. Gagner, Schultz and Martindale/Hamilton?

The real problem with your Buffalo deal is we could be left with nothing, which isn't that bad but I hate to lose Harti for nothing.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:

JD was talking about Columbus, his new team.

Your point still has merit on Hemsky's work habits though. Hitchcock is as demanding as they come.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post
JD was talking about Columbus, his new team.

Your point still has merit on Hemsky's work habits though. Hitchcock is as demanding as they come.
Oh wow, I completely dropped that one.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
How about not trading a guy, who while in a slump would be on par for 60+ pts in a season... Big fat no to trading Ebs, as he's only 22 and going to get better.

This board....

Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
oil10

Time to shake it up . . . come on Tambo !

Okay come on Tambo ....... time to do your job. What are you waiting for?

Here are the players I think should stay;

Hall/Gagner/Eberle
?/RNH/Yakupov
Hartikainen/Lander/Paajarvi
Brown/?/Jones

J.Schultz/?
?/Petry
?/Fistric
Peckham

Duby
?

Deal the rest and get;
- a big winger, with grit and skill, for the 2nd line
- a big C for the 4th line
- a puck moving D and 2 stay at home D, with size and grit
- a back-up

I know this all won't happen this year but start getting part of it done. We need some changes NOW !!

Old
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
frag2

#FireTambo

Old
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

I'm wondering if it isn't a better strategy to try and trade our "spare parts" for draft picks? Considering the deals that have taken place around the NHL this season, Fistric, Brown, Ellerby, Loktionov, Gagne, Ponikarovsky, Thomas, Lovejoy, all dealt for draft picks.

I'm not saying the Oilers need to acquire more lottery tickets for the upcoming powerball, but doesn't it seem like GM's are more willing to part with players for picks, than project for project?

Perhaps the best course of action is to slowly deal our excess, who have just as much, or little, value as many of the players that have already moved, for draft picks, then turn around at the deadline, and use those picks to try and find players that the team feels better suits their needs.

Do I believe our management can execute a strategy like this? Probably not. But that doesn't mean it isn't the best way to turn some of our garbage into gold.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hahaha
The only bright spot

Steve Tambellini ‏@FakeOilersGM
Just ran into a Blue Jackets fan named "Jarmo" & he offered me a 1st round pick for Ryan Whitney. Wow! If only he was a real NHL GM. Oh well

Old
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
joestevens29

The whole Clowe to Boston, can't figure it out. Where does he fit in Boston and really isn't SJ going to need a NHL player back?

Could be a blockbuster, which also doesn't make sense for two playoff teams. Or is it simply Clowe for Horton, switch up?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
IE: keep everything of value, ditch everything worthless (except Hemsky - only everyone but the Oilers thinks he's worthless after all), bring in significant pieces using the worthless pieces? Man, this is SO EASY

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
MoneyGuy

Tambo can't execute the changes. He needs to be the first change. I won't say Tambo needs to be executed.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
IE: keep everything of value, ditch everything worthless (except Hemsky - only everyone but the Oilers thinks he's worthless after all), bring in significant pieces using the worthless pieces? Man, this SO EASY
Makes you wonder why other teams haven't given us their gems for our junk already!

Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
zeus3007*

You guys seem to think its easy to swing trades. Trades don't happen mid-season very often. There needs to be a trade partner before we can actually make a trade, no? What team is going to give us their 2nd line power forward, big 4th line center who can actually play the game, any decent defenseman, let alone 3...these are the holes we need to fill via free agency or by off season trades most likely.

EDIT - And hopefully by a new GM.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
MoneyGuy

"What major shake up? What are you suggesting?"

Tambo to Jason Gregor. http://oilersnation.com/2013/3/5/tam...trade-and-more

Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You guys seem to think its easy to swing trades. Trades don't happen mid-season very often. There needs to be a trade partner before we can actually make a trade, no? What team is going to give us their 2nd line power forward, big 4th line center who can actually play the game, any decent defenseman, let alone 3...these are the holes we need to fill via free agency or by off season trades most likely.

EDIT - And hopefully by a new GM.
true, but in the time that Tambo has been GM, every other GM has made more and more significant moves than he. He is THE least active GM in the NHL, having not made a single significant move in 4 years.

what is happening here is the players sense that:

Management doesn't care --> players don't care --> I don't care.

Go Blackhawks!!! I'm on the bandwagon. wake me up when (if) the Oil every look like an organization the gives a s--t.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
"What major shake up? What are you suggesting?"

Tambo to Jason Gregor. http://oilersnation.com/2013/3/5/tam...trade-and-more
Yeah, I translated that on Google Translate from "Tambo" to "English":

"HELP ME PLEASE!"

Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

The only major change this team can afford right now is a new GM.

One that has experience. Has built pretty good teams. More importantly, one that we know can but Lowe in his place if he tries micromanage from the other side of the Oilers office.

*cough*

Old
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
OilCanada92

Not saying it's a easy progress to make a trade but I think management really needs to change. Look at Montreal. New gm, and a new coach and the atmosphere is just completely different. Also, having a new GM might make players "actually'' play! A new GM doesn't care that Hall,Eberle, and RNH are kicking around. If he gets a offer that will help the team. He could easily ship them out, and if they want to stay that 110% will come out of them. Katz wants a "new" arena team. Time to just wipe the Old time Oilers and bring in guys who are pro at this.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:24 AM
BowDangles

At the beginning of the season I was completely against trading Ales Hemsky because I thought he was going to be the player he was 3-4 years ago (ppg). But that does not seem like it is going to be the case... I think the Oilers need to move him as soon as they can while he is still playing all right and is not injured.

Hemsky's spot could be the spot to be filled by a bigger more physical player. I would love to see a player for player deal, hopefully they can get a player that is bigger, physical, maybe a little less skilled but has upside, and fits our age group.

A Zach Kassian type player would be ideal, Vancouver would never move him but is their similar players out there on different teams?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Everest

Quote:

Anisimov would be a dream score. The 'Jackets did well to get him as part of the Nash trade.

I have no idea what his contract status is but Im going to assume he is a valued part of their puzzle and one they don't talk about trading. At all.

One guy who CBJ might have in play though...Dubinsky. He can play centre. In fact I still say NYR shrunk his usefulness when they put him on the wing.

Closed Thread