HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Game and 3 Stars : 3/5 : COL @ DET

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Jimmeh 42 76.36%
Jimmeh 20 36.36%
Jimmeh 19 34.55%
Jimmeh 17 30.91%
Franzen 26 47.27%
Jimmeh 13 23.64%
Kronwall 14 25.45%
Brunner 25 45.45%
Jimmeh 9 16.36%
Smith 7 12.73%
Kindl 6 10.91%
Jimmeh 13 23.64%
Ericsson 3 5.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Datsyuk parking in the crease didn't help.
He never does anything wrong though...

I know it is very little, but I do find it funny when people aren't even pointing out that is his guy that gets two opportunities because he completely lost him and then stretched himself out too far when he finally did notice allowing the rebound.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
He missed that time with an injury not for a vacation.

And when he's been playing he's barely gone more than 1 game without registering a point.

I guess some fans just have players they love to hate.
He's not talking about the injury, he's talking about Franzen's tendency to completely disappear for weeks at a time while playing. And he definitely does. Today he was working, people including myself who rightfully call him out for his laziness, were noticing his work even before he scored. We said so. "Wow, Franzen is actually skating out there today!"

We don't base our criticism on the scoresheet, unlike his supporters who seem to be able to do nothing else other than say "goal leader." The guy doesn't work hard enough most of the time. Tonight, he worked. Good for him. Let's hope he keeps working.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Howard.
Howard.
Howard

Could have given Franzen a spot, but he didn't clear it out. Cost us a goal, wiped out his own.
this

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
He never does anything wrong though...

I know it is very little, but I do find it funny when people aren't even pointing out that is his guy that gets two opportunities because he completely lost him and then stretched himself out too far when he finally did notice allowing the rebound.
You also blamed Datsyuk when Cleary turned the puck over to Duchene in the 1st. Obviously the username says it all, but that was one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard today.

Datsyuk got beat on their lone goal, no question. But I find it funny that you love to point out any errors he makes (even when there is no error in the case of the Cleary turnover - just a terrible play by Cleary.)

Datsyuk made 4-5 great defensive plays tonight against the likes of Duchene, Parenteau, and Landy. He also set up Cleary for 3 quality scoring chances and Abby for 1. He's playing against top lines with two wingers that should be nowhere near a top line role.

Datsyuk did suck in faceoffs tonight though. A few draws he got beat before he even made a move. He did, however, win the last 2 draws at the end of the game.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Howard and Kronwall have had a lot more pressure put on them due to the departures of Lidstrom and Stuart. Does that excuse any hiccups in their play? Well, for me it does to a point; whether it does for you is another thing entirely.

Franzen, on the other hand, has been playing with 2 of the other top 4 forwards on the team all year, and has been in the top-6 for the last couple of years. His quality of linemate hasn't dropped off at all, and some might argue that it's gotten better.

I expect someone who can score 30 goals a year to play the way he did tonight EVERY night. Taking 2 weeks off then getting a handful of points in a couple of games does not cut it in my book.
If Franzen played like this every night he'd be a 40+ goalscorer, and that's just not gonna happen. It would be nice if he showed up more often than he does, but don't expect him to play like he did tonight regularly or your gonna be disappointed.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:26 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
If Franzen played like this every night he'd be a 40+ goalscorer, and that's just not gonna happen. It would be nice if he showed up more often than he does, but don't expect him to play like he did tonight regularly or your gonna be disappointed.
Oh don't worry, it's waaaaay too late for that.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Franzen looking like pre-contract Franzen.

Howard was great this game.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:51 AM
14ari13

Howard
Kronwall
Franzen

HM Datsyuk and Brunner

I thought this was one of the best games Brunner has played. He set up Fraznen for the goal, but he set up both Franzen and Z several times in this game. Great game by Brunner.
I thought Datsyuk had some very good shifts and made it happen we were carrying the play in their zone.
But the best part is Dastyuk pass the puck to Kronwall and then the puck goes off of the boards and the goalie and then in. Even the boards can score, but not Abby

I also thought Smith had a very good game.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:55 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Franzen couldn't even score 40 goals during his best year. What makes you think he could if he "tried really really hard"?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:47 AM
14ari13

I do not know why people complain about Datsyuk in this game.
He set up Kronwall, got an assist and you could see on our 2nd goal how the whole Avs team collapsed because of Datsyuk and that allowed Kronwall to take a great shot.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Shoalzie

Yimmy was great...old man Giguere wasn't half bad either.

Mule looks good when actually moves his feet. He probably loves seeing that 'A' crest also.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:34 AM
JPE123

Several guys had good games. Smith is looking better every night now offensively and he's playing better D. Howard was really good. Kindl improving every game. Brunner had a great night. The Mule showed up to play. I thought the Eaves, Andersson Miller line played good shifts everytime. Really need scoring from our top 6, 2 goals against Colorado does not translate well against better competition. Very happy for the 2 points

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
SoupGuru

Did anyone else find it slightly amusing that after trying Tatar on Datsyuk's wing for a couple of shifts, literally the next shift that Gator is back on the line, the Wings score? Not saying he had anything to do with it or anything.... just kind of funny.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

I'm going to pull this from the other thread because I think it's worth a PGDT discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Our special units are a big problem. We did not score a PP goal even 5 on 3.
Was the last PP goal vs the Canucks?
Babcock needs to get this "right-handed point man" crap out of his head. Is it nice to have? Absolutely. Is is necessary? Absolutely not. Brunner would be much better served playing the half-boards with Z and Franzen, with Ericsson and Kronwall on the points.

Second unit should be Tatar/Filppula, Datsyuk, and Cleary/Abdelkader/Andersson for a net-front/puck retrieval guy, with Smith and Kindl (or White if/when he comes back) on the back-end.

And they have GOT GOT GOT to tighten up on those 5-on-3 PPs. I mean ****, guys, how hard is it to play a box with one man at the net (also known as a pentagram) and get that puck moving around? Wear the PKers down with quick puck movement, and take some shots. It's not rocket surgery.

(Also, perhaps the GDTs should be locked after the game and the discussions permanently moved into the PGDTs? Just a thought...)

Last edited by RedMenace: 03-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
Really need scoring from our top 6, 2 goals against Colorado does not translate well against better competition. Very happy for the 2 points
Yeah, I agree with this. The Abby and Cleary experiment isn't working. The line of Andersson, Tatar and Eaves has been great, I'd like to see them kept together. I've been pulling for Sheahan to get a call up while we have all these injuries just to see how he looks playing in the NHL on a scoring line. Lashoff has locked down an NHL roster spot, it just goes to show that "playing big mins in the A" isn't the cure all for everyone to become a better NHL'er. I'd like to see something like:

Mule-Z-Brunner
Abby-Pavs-Sheahan
Eaves-Andersson-Tatar
Miller or Cleary-Emmerton-Tootoo

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
Did anyone else find it slightly amusing that after trying Tatar on Datsyuk's wing for a couple of shifts, literally the next shift that Gator is back on the line, the Wings score? Not saying he had anything to do with it or anything.... just kind of funny.
I'll take coincidence for $400, Alex (although it was both funny and a at the same time, knowing that + got him another 2 weeks with Datsyuk ).

A couple of weeks of ago, I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch one day, then drove out in a snowstorm and proceeded to wreck my car after an old hag who apparently gave up using her side view mirrors for Lent cut me off. It never occurred to me to blame the sandwich.

That grilled cheese sandwich had more to do with my car accident than Gator did with that goal

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
That grilled cheese sandwich had more to do with my car accident than Gator did with that goal
Grilled cheese sandwiches are such jerks, which is why I try to eat them before they cause any trouble.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
This has officially put me into tears, and potentially a little bit of pee...
i cannot stop laughing.

Haven't watched the game yet, have it downloaded, even tho i know the outcome.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
You also blamed Datsyuk when Cleary turned the puck over to Duchene in the 1st. Obviously the username says it all, but that was one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard today.

Datsyuk got beat on their lone goal, no question. But I find it funny that you love to point out any errors he makes (even when there is no error in the case of the Cleary turnover - just a terrible play by Cleary.)

Datsyuk made 4-5 great defensive plays tonight against the likes of Duchene, Parenteau, and Landy. He also set up Cleary for 3 quality scoring chances and Abby for 1. He's playing against top lines with two wingers that should be nowhere near a top line role.

Datsyuk did suck in faceoffs tonight though. A few draws he got beat before he even made a move. He did, however, win the last 2 draws at the end of the game.
I like Datsyuk, I just don't like the tone of how people talk about him sometimes around here. He isn't a God. He makes mistake, not all the time but it just amazing to me that when he is involved the cover up that goes on. He does great things to bad things at a rate of 9 out of 10. Just a little sick of the cover when he blows his responsibilities. I have really never seen anything like it with the treatment of our great players. Even as rare as it was when Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Zetterberg made a mistake it was noted.

I am a huge Datsyuk fan, you can believe what you want I guess. We are all lucky to have witnessed him play for this long hopefully we get a couple more years. That doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes and usually when he does he makes up for them. Like your point about the last two draws.

Of course the Cleary turnover was Cleary's fault, was pointing out the reason Duchene walked in was the puck support broke down, it happens. Realistically if the first guy does his job on those plays although Franzen's clearing up the wall on the backhand is a much harder play Datsyuk is probably fine. But that doesn't totally forgive the next event. Sorry for being honest it isn't because I don't like the guy, I do expect a lot out of him and it is pretty easy to notice when he makes a mistake it is rare.

By the way I actually think Datsyuk played well tonight, just being honest one of his few mistakes played a large role in their lone goal. Sorry did the same thing when Zetterberg turned it over on a blind weak backhand then got out of position a couple weeks ago that resulted in a goal.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Of course the Cleary turnover was Cleary's fault, was pointing out the reason Duchene walked in was the puck support broke down, it happens. Realistically if the first guy does his job on those plays although Franzen's clearing up the wall on the backhand is a much harder play Datsyuk is probably fine. But that doesn't totally forgive the next event. Sorry for being honest it isn't because I don't like the guy, I do expect a lot out of him and it is pretty easy to notice when he makes a mistake it is rare.
Like blaming Howard for Ericsson's penalty against Chicago leading to the goal. Could he have done something about it? Sure. Is it his fault? No. Just because he can cover for another guy's mistakes doesn't mean jack. Cleary had ample chance to not turn it over. He turned it over. He does it a lot.

Calling out Datsyuk for that is just covering for Cleary. That's all on him.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Like blaming Howard for Ericsson's penalty against Chicago leading to the goal. Could he have done something about it? Sure. Is it his fault? No. Just because he can cover for another guy's mistakes doesn't mean jack. Cleary had ample chance to not turn it over. He turned it over. He does it a lot.

Calling out Datsyuk for that is just covering for Cleary. That's all on him.
No, it explains how he walked in virtually alone after. I have no problem calling out Cleary, it was a dumb mistake, he and Quincey more than any other two get frustratingly caught with the puck.

In fact the real dumb move by Cleary is originally he had Datsyuk as an outlet or you just bang it off the boards, Datsyuk moves up once he gets jammed up on the boards it is a chance play one Datsyuk usually wins in this case he didn't. It does not matter because they did not score, but it was an odd misread and one you would rather not see him do given who the chance would go to if he doesn't get the puck. But Datsyuk's guy on that play is Duchene that is his read.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.