Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild News And Notes II

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
So they claimed him from Carolina and now they're putting him on waivers? Poor Boychuk.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Haha agreed. I saw the BREAKING part of the tweet and figured it was a trade or signing.

On another note, Pittsburgh has put Zach Boychuk on waivers. Think the Wild will put in a claim? I personally say no just due to the fact we have only the one roster spot left.
This is why they won't claim him....and they need that roster spot to sign Haula next month.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
DANOZ28

vCash: 500
we jumped to #13 power ranking w nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658513

Old
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
we jumped to #13 power ranking w nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658513
Haha, I love how the headline is about "joining the party". Yet another sign?

Old
03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
LA is 19th in the league standing but 6 in the power rankings? Oh Kay.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
In case you haven't noticed they've been playing great the last two weeks. If the power rankings were based on standing alone they wouldn't even bother to make em'.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
In case you haven't noticed they've been playing great the last two weeks. If the power rankings were based on standing alone they wouldn't even bother to make em'.
We've been playing great the past two weeks and have a better record. I understand the idea of power rankings but you have to consider overall play throughout the year. Otherwise there would be very different rankings from week to week. Do you really feel Ottawa should be 12th with how they've been playing? Yeah, didn't think so.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
After a slow start they've started turning it around. They just were on like a five game winning streak, and they have 2-3 games less played than most teams sitting in a playoff spot.

E: I don't understand Detroit though. They've won 3 games in their last 10. "They have a couple of players injured and almost won Chicago" ...mmkay.

Last edited by Haite: 03-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Power rankings!

Mar 04 Devils Insider #10
Quote:
It looks like the Wild might be on the verge of turning it on. They’re finally a few games above .500. Depth scoring will continue to be their Achilles heel moving forward. They get a crack at the Blackhawks this week, which will either be a signature win for the Wild or at least a good game to measure where they are against the best team in hockey right now.
Mar 04 ESPN #10
Quote:
The Wild have quietly managed to go 5-2-1 and creep within two points of the Northwest Division lead.
Mar 04 Foxsports #14
Quote:
Minnesota got some redemption for Oilers forward Taylor Hall’s illegal hit that injured Cal Clutterbuck with a victory Sunday. Hall (hamstring) didn’t play, but now that rematch is behind them, the Wild can continue what has been a solid run of late.
Mar 04 CBS Sports #17
Quote:
I'm still not jumping all in on the Wild but they're playing some alright hockey, especially at home where they are 8-2-1 ... It's been a big lift getting increased production from Devin Setoguchi, who has a goal and four assists in the last four. That must continue.
Mar 04 Bleacher Report #18
Quote:
The offseason signings of forward Zach Parise and defender Ryan Suter shook the hockey world to its core (h/t ESPN), but the results have not been showed on the ice for the Wild. With so much money wrapped up in those two star players, the ability for Minnesota to surround them with more talent is a task proving too tough to handle.
Mar 04 NYPost #20
Quote:
Here’s how tight the Western Conference is: The Wild’s 4-2 win over the Oilers on Sunday put them in a tie for fourth in the conference. A loss would have put them in eleventh.
Mar 04 TSN #20
Quote:
Five wins in the last seven games for the Wild, whose leading scorer in February was Matt Cullen. Just wanted to acknowledge a Cullen leading a scoring race, no matter what split was involved.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

frankly i'm surprised TSN didn't rank the Oilers ahead of us.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

I know boogaard and fedoruk both had substance abuse issues.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ddiction_n.htm

Last edited by Jarick: 03-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 12:35 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

From Russo's blog

Quote:
By the way, the Wild is contemplating flipping Darcy Kuemper and Matt Hackett soon. Hackett is playing much better than he was at the time of the Kuemper callup and also the Wild doesn't want Kuemper getting stale. They want him playing. So to reward Hackett and to get Kuemper playing, that could be a move on the horizon.
Also Clutterbuck's a pretty cool guy.

Quote:
My son is a squirt C hockey player for the Sibley Area Red Team and was having practice at St Thomas Academy on Saturday...some of the boys were on the ice when Cal showed up to use half the ice for some rehab skating....my son is a goalie and him and another boy crossed center ice to go talk to Cal. He couldn't have been nicer, even putting my son in the net and taking a few shots on him. After about 15 minutes of him skating solo, he came over and asked our coaches if he could join in with the team practice....he spent about 30 minutes with the boys, doing drills, scrimmaging, participating in a shootout. Obviously, the boys were thrilled. After practice ended, he came in their locker room and signed pucks, hats, jerseys and posed for a picture with the boys. It is a day they will never forget.....so, I wanted to pass along what a class act Cal Clutterbuck is and that he will be a lifelong favorite in the Hazzard household....thank you, Jennifer

Old
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
From Russo's blog

Also Clutterbuck's a pretty cool guy.
I can back up the claim that Clutterbuck is cool with the kids:

Three years ago I took my 10 year old son up to St Louis Park arena to watch a bunch of Wild players and other NHLers do a pre-training camp skate. Since this wasn't advertised, there were literally no other fans there (I found out through someone who knew someone else...)

Anyways, my boy wanted to get Cal's autograph and brought a notebook and pen with him. As Cal was coming off the ice, my son went up to him and very shy-like, asked him for his signature. Cal not only signed it, but made sure every other player coming off the ice signed it as well: Brent Burns, Derek Boogaard, Mark Parrish, Nick Schultz, Paul Martin, Nick Backstrom, PMB, Dustin Byfuglien, etc.

He also invited my son to sit next to him on a bench outside the locker room while he was taking off his skates and just shot the breeze with him for about 5 minutes. This really left a lasting impression on him and Cal is still his favorite player to this day.

Clutterbuck is one of those players who just "gets it" when it comes dealing with fans.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Alright, where are the folks who want to trade Clutter? I've wanted to re-sign him for a while now and this is just another reason why, although it doesn't really have much of an impact on his future here.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

Three years ago I took my 10 year old son up to St Louis Park arena to watch a bunch of Wild players and other NHLers do a pre-training camp skate. Since this wasn't advertised, there were literally no other fans there (I found out through someone who knew someone else...)

Anyways, my boy wanted to get Cal's autograph and brought a notebook and pen with him. As Cal was coming off the ice, my son went up to him and very shy-like, asked him for his signature. Cal not only signed it, but made sure every other player coming off the ice signed it as well: Brent Burns, Derek Boogaard, Mark Parrish, Nick Schultz, Paul Martin, Nick Backstrom, PMB, Dustin Byfuglien, etc.

He also invited my son to sit next to him on a bench outside the locker room while he was taking off his skates and just shot the breeze with him for about 5 minutes. This really left a lasting impression on him and Cal is still his favorite player to this day.

Clutterbuck is one of those players who just "gets it" when it comes dealing with fans.
Alright, that's a pretty good story...

I have gained more respect for Clutterbuck with some of these stories...

Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

But he's such a dirty player

-Said everyone who never watched him play.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Was about to post that Hackett-Kuemper bit, I'm behind the times I guess.

I like the idea.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pierre LeBrun speculates on trades (butbutbut ESPN doesn't know hockey!)

Quote:
If there’s a target need for Minnesota, it’s for a veteran defenseman. But Fletcher makes it clear he’s not giving up high-end futures in any trade.

"We’re not looking to trade our top prospects at this time," said the Wild GM. "If there’s something we can do to help our team over the next month, we’ll look at it but we’re not looking to make wholesale changes, that’s for sure."

But it appears that regardless of their standing, Fletcher has little intention of moving UFA-to-be Matt Cullen, who has been the subject of trade rumors.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I still wish we had picked up Carlo Colaiacovo.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I still wish we had picked up Carlo Colaiacovo.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The gold standard in Carlo Colaiacovo .gifs

Old
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

The only Carlo Colaiacovo .gif

Old
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Beegoalie

I thought about the Hackett/Keumper flip..meant to ask Russo about it but forgot. Glad the Wild are thinking about it.

Makes sense to keep them both playing..althought I like how they finally payed Kuemper the respects he deserved after playing so well. He hasn't had much of a let down either just gotta keep him playing. Too young to be sitting around all season. Keep rotating them, nothing wrong with that.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Can't wait to see Gustafsson. I'm going to guess he starts with the Aeros next year.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
tyratoku

So according to This site, the Wild currently have a 46.7% chance of making the playoffs. It was at ~55% before last night's game.

Meh.

Closed Thread