HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

European Championship

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
  #1
Slimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GBG
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
European Championship

The creation of an European Championship is in the works and Kalervo Kummola of the IIHF is quoted as saying that the tourney would comprize of 16 to 24 countries and the starting date is set to somewhere in 2014-2015.

The existing format of the Euro Hockey Tour would be scraped, accoarding to René Fasel of the IIHF, and replaced with a European Championship. Discussions whether the World Championship of Hockey and the European equivalent should be held every other year has also been mentioned.

Possible teams participating as of the current IIHF ranking:

1. Ryssland.
2. Finland.
3. Tjeckien.
4. Sverige.
5. Slovakien.
6. Norge.
7. Schweiz.
8. Tyskland.
9. Lettland.
10. Danmark.
11. Vitryssland.
12. Frankrike.
13. Österrike.
14. Italien.
15. Kazakstan.
16. Slovenien.
17. Ungern.
18. Ukraina.
19. Storbritannien.
20. Polen.
21. Holland.
22. Litauen.
23. Estland.
24. Rumänien.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
  #2
Swep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
The creation of an European Championship is in the works and Kalervo Kummola of the IIHF is quoted as saying that the tourney would comprize of 16 to 24 countries and the starting date is set to somewhere in 2014-2015.

The existing format of the Euro Hockey Tour would be scraped, accoarding to René Fasel of the IIHF, and replaced with a European Championship. Discussions whether the World Championship of Hockey and the European equivalent should be held every other year has also been mentioned.

Possible teams participating as of the current IIHF ranking:

1. Ryssland.
2. Finland.
3. Tjeckien.
4. Sverige.
5. Slovakien.
6. Norge.
7. Schweiz.
8. Tyskland.
9. Lettland.
10. Danmark.
11. Vitryssland.
12. Frankrike.
13. Österrike.
14. Italien.
15. Kazakstan.
16. Slovenien.
17. Ungern.
18. Ukraina.
19. Storbritannien.
20. Polen.
21. Holland.
22. Litauen.
23. Estland.
24. Rumänien.
That'd be

1. Russia
2. Finland
3. Czech Republic
4. Sweden
5. Slovakia
6. Norway
7. Switzerland
8. Germany
9. Latvia
10. Denmark
11. Belarus
12. France
13. Austria
14. Italy
15. Kazakhstan
16. Slovenia
17. Hungary
18. Ukraine
19. Great Britain
20. Poland
21. Netherlands
22. Lithuania
23. Estonia
24. Rumania




I like the idea, although you'd probably get bored watching Russia beat Estonia with 26-1. But it'll definitly be more interesting than Euro Hockey Tour.
It could be great for spreading hockey in the smaller nations.

There was also an idea about a Ryder Cup for hockey (North America vs Europe) in swedish media today which I'd love to see. Players seemed positive to it aswell.

More meaningful international tournaments would be great for the sport. Ditch the current World Championships and bring back the World Cup, with all the best players available. The Euros could be every two years to make it more interesting, played between the World Cup and Olympics.

A four year period could look like this:
Olympics
Euros
World Cup
Euros

The Euros would be played around the same time the WC is being played right now, making some NHL players available.


If they go through with this and the World Cup, the World Championships need to go, otherwise it'd be too much.

Swep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
  #3
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
That's a great idea, I'm always in favour of international competitions such as this one.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  #4
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,890
vCash: 500
Otherwise it could be nice but would "top" countries play against teams like Romania or Estonia at this point? I think top 6 or 7 should play against eachother, would anyone buy tickets on blowout games? Probably they have designed that somehow.


EHT right now has it nice sides, it has tough competition and helps the countries to develop their national team and test players because of it. Too easy (or absolutely too hard) games wont help anything..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:15 AM
  #5
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Meh, I'd rather see the tough countries play each other than much weaker competition. Makes for better practice as well. And I'm not interested in the Ryder Cup idea because that team would have like two Finns, one as the backup goalie and one as the extra forward. So it'd be more like Sweden & Russia Vs. Canada & USA than Europe vs. NA. That doesn't interest me in the least.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:20 AM
  #6
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
I can't see this idea becoming more than a glorified version of the Euro hockey tour. The purpose of international breaks during the season is to allow coaches to test new players and try line combinations, not to be used for some made up competition.

As far as I'm concerned, dropping the EHT and allowing teams to arrange their own fixtures would be enough.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 AM
  #7
DrunkElkCZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brno, Czech Rep.
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 590
vCash: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swep View Post
A four year period could look like this:
Olympics
Euros
World Cup
Euros
Did you mean World Championship or World Cup? Otherwise I really like this. IMO this would increase the prestige of the WC.
And in fact, I would really like to see those bottom teams playing, since I've never seen many of those teams before

DrunkElkCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
  #8
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
I would love to see hockey goes basketball way when it comes to international competitions.

year one : Olympics
year two : european championship
year three : world championship
year four : european championship

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:44 AM
  #9
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Ryder Cup - no chance, many reasons, one of them that Europe is not created by one or two nations.

Euro Championship - good idea but first must be reschedulled international calendar. World Championship can not be played in April/ May but in January/February. If this dont happen, KHL will not allow this Euro Championship.

I dont know formula of Euro Championship, but members of russian hockey federation said that there would be 4 groups (A-D) of 4 teams accroding to ranking. October/December/February would be played games within group (2 games every month) and in April final among group A-B, C-D and NT can promote/relegate for next season.

We will see. There is one problem, World Championship in May. That must be changed if you want to see Euro Championship/Ryder Cup/World Cup or whatever.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
  #10
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Otherwise it could be nice but would "top" countries play against teams like Romania or Estonia at this point? I think top 6 or 7 should play against eachother, would anyone buy tickets on blowout games? Probably they have designed that somehow.
Agree. I would also add a NA team if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swep View Post
A four year period could look like this:
Olympics
Euros
World Cup
Euros
That would be great.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
  #11
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Ryder Cup - no chance, many reasons, one of them that Europe is not created by one or two nations.

Euro Championship - good idea but first must be reschedulled international calendar. World Championship can not be played in April/ May but in January/February. If this dont happen, KHL will not allow this Euro Championship.

I dont know formula of Euro Championship, but members of russian hockey federation said that there would be 4 groups (A-D) of 4 teams accroding to ranking. October/December/February would be played games within group (2 games every month) and in April final among group A-B, C-D and NT can promote/relegate for next season.

We will see. There is one problem, World Championship in May. That must be changed if you want to see Euro Championship/Ryder Cup/World Cup or whatever.
World championship in May is fine, having them mid-season would make all national leagues stop for one month, which is pretty ridiculous for all players not involved in national team play. And you can kiss NHL players good bye if you have the tournament mid-season.

I just don't understand this need to have a Euro hockey tour/Euro championship/Ryder cup/whatever. Just let national team coaches have their exhibition games and use them as they see fit. Even if it doesn't produce the best hockey, the point is to be ready in May.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  #12
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
World championship in May is fine, having them mid-season would make all national leagues stop for one month, which is pretty ridiculous for all players not involved in national team play. And you can kiss NHL players good bye if you have the tournament mid-season.
so you are against hockey at Olympics? As we know, majority if not all players from euro leagues dont play at Olympics and dont play for clubs in national leagues either. So?

If you dont have problem with OG break, why do you have problem with World Championship in february? Who says it must be one month break? Who cares about NHLers? Where is written that they would not participate? KHL has been in talks with NHL about this topic ....

European clubs want to create Champions League or any competition in Europe. When do they want to play it? During NT breaks when the best players are at EHT (or will be at Euro Championship)? Look, ET final is played during most prestigious EHT tourney ... yeah, great timing for ET final.. great for sponsors, fans, broadcasters etc. Really?

President and vicepresidents of KHL said it correctly: current international calendar, World Championship in May and EHT breaks, are not only against interest of KHL but also interest of euro leagues.

KHL will expand, has infuence in IIHF and does not agree with current schedulling. Do tyou think that KHL will agree with such ridiculous ideas? And will be anything approved without permission/support of KHL? Not, it wont.

I am not naive, everything is about power/influence/money. Now, all 3 attributes are in KHL, the most powerful league in Europe. By powerful I mean hockey diplomacy... if you know how politics works, you can predict who will win this hockey battle..

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  #13
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
so you are against hockey at Olympics? As we know, majority if not all players from euro leagues dont play at Olympics and dont play for clubs in national leagues either. So?
No, I'm not against hockey at the Olympics, far from it. A break once every four years for a special event is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
If you dont have problem with OG break, why do you have problem with World Championship in february? Who says it must be one month break? Who cares about NHLers? Where is written that they would not participate? KHL has been in talks with NHL about this topic ....
It should be a one month break because coaches need some exhibition games to find the right roster, you can't play a league game on Wednesday, jump into a plane and play in the WC's opening game on Friday.

And I care about NHLers. The WC is a rare opportunity to see a lot of the best players in the world, I wouldn't like to lose that opportunity. It's not written anywhere that they wouldn't participate, but you're just fooling yourself if you think there is chance the NHL would agree to a mid-season break for the WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
European clubs want to create Champions League or any competition in Europe. When do they want to play it? During NT breaks when the best players are at EHT (or will be at Euro Championship)? Look, ET final is played during most prestigious EHT tourney ... yeah, great timing for ET final.. great for sponsors, fans, broadcasters etc. Really?
I consider the ET to be nothing more than an exhibition tournament, so I don't care so much about its timing. Of course, a real champions' league would be played with full rosters available, it shouldn't be played during NT breaks. With regular seasons being 50 to 60 games long, it should be possible to fit around 10 extra games without needing the national team breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
President and vicepresidents of KHL said it correctly: current international calendar, World Championship in May and EHT breaks, are not only against interest of KHL but also interest of euro leagues.
I know you pretty much live for the KHL, but not everything has to be in its interest, or in the interest of all national leagues. International hockey is part of the calendar too, and both side need to make concessions so everything can work. I'm also frustrated when league play stops mid season, but I can see why NT coaches need to play exhibition games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL will expand, has infuence in IIHF and does not agree with current schedulling. Do tyou think that KHL will agree with such ridiculous ideas? And will be anything approved without permission/support of KHL? Not, it wont.
This opinion will probably come as a shock for you, but the KHL is just another European league, who may have more money available, but certainly shouldn't have more of a say at how things should work than all other leagues. If other leagues can work their schedule around the international calendar, there's no reason why the KHL couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I am not naive, everything is about power/influence/money. Now, all 3 attributes are in KHL, the most powerful league in Europe. By powerful I mean hockey diplomacy... if you know how politics works, you can predict who will win this hockey battle..
That's unfortunate but true. However, national federation also have something to say, leagues will have to share the pie.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
  #14
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
No, I'm not against hockey at the Olympics, far from it. A break once every four years for a special event is fine.

It should be a one month break because coaches need some exhibition games to find the right roster, you can't play a league game on Wednesday, jump into a plane and play in the WC's opening game on Friday.
Nobody says we need World/Euro Championship every year. So, I have no problem with such break every second year. Ok, NT coaches needs time to select team. Why not such long break before OG? IMO OG is more important tourney than World/Euro Championship

Quote:
And I care about NHLers. The WC is a rare opportunity to see a lot of the best players in the world, I wouldn't like to lose that opportunity. It's not written anywhere that they wouldn't participate, but you're just fooling yourself if you think there is chance the NHL would agree to a mid-season break for the WC.
There is chance NHL would agree to a mid-season break for the WC. You just need to negotiate with NHL. it is classic game - we give you World Cup, you give us break in february. No problem. Btw, nobody says that NHL must do a break when Euro Championship takes place.

Quote:
I consider the ET to be nothing more than an exhibition tournament, so I don't care so much about its timing. Of course, a real champions' league would be played with full rosters available, it shouldn't be played during NT breaks. With regular seasons being 50 to 60 games long, it should be possible to fit around 10 extra games without needing the national team breaks.
Do you want Champions League without russian/KHL teams? If yes, so it would be another meaningless exhibition tournament without support of fans/broadcasters/sponsors. if last sentence was not true, we would have Champions League without Russians now. If you want Champions League with Russians, you will have problem with schedulling with current international calendar. Btw, do you want Champions League without europeans KHL teams like Slovan?


Quote:
I know you pretty much live for the KHL, but not everything has to be in its interest, or in the interest of all national leagues. International hockey is part of the calendar too, and both side need to make concessions so everything can work. I'm also frustrated when league play stops mid season, but I can see why NT coaches need to play exhibition games.
That is not about pro/anti KHL attitude. It is about reality. KHL is only european league which is able to produce REAL international club competition. I though ET is real competition, but you said it is only "an exhibition tournament, so I don't care so much about its timing" Acc.to this ET is not so important for you as hockey fan. On the other side KHL is important for fans/media in Russia, Slovakia, Czech rep, Latvia etc.

I agree that there must be concessions from everyone. On the other side I dont know why KHL should agree with such schedulling. KHL has only one request to IIHF - move World Championship to january/february. It would not hurt either national league,nor IIHF. Participation of NHLers can be negotiated. European leagues would have more flexibility with schedulling of Champions League style of competition.

Now we have international breaks during season, it is 21 days since october to february. Almost a month, so the leagues have one month break now. Why to have 3 breaks if we can have one or two?

Quote:
This opinion will probably come as a shock for you, but the KHL is just another European league, who may have more money available, but certainly shouldn't have more of a say at how things should work than all other leagues. If other leagues can work their schedule around the international calendar, there's no reason why the KHL couldn't.

That's unfortunate but true. However, national federation also have something to say, leagues will have to share the pie.
The most important word is "shouldn't ", but reality is not like that. All best euro leagues (NLA, SM-Liiga, Elitserien, DEL, Czech league) have 12-14 clubs, cca 50 games in regular season, play-off best of 8, dont want to expand. KHL is another story, 26 clubs, will expand, has 52 regular season games - wants 60-70, play-off is best of 16. So yes, KHL is unique. I agree that not everything must be done like KHL wants, but there must be cooperation among KHL and euro leagues. And this cooperation will not happen if international calendar is not changed. I know, it would be shock for many people.

Only thing I want is true euro-russian hockey competition and I dont care if it is one league as KHL wants or Champions League as Europe wants. Unfortunatelly I dont see this happening within current int.calendar.

I give you an example and hope wont be banned. The example is good for explanation how KHL´s diplomacy works from my point of view. ... so. Russian wanted to create Nord/South Stream, there was rival project of Nabucco. As I know, South Stream is under construction, Nord Stream works. Gazprom´s "envoy" is these project was Gerhard Schröder. What is happening in hockey? Rene Fasel, reelected IIHF president, has been "a good friend" of KHL/Medvedev for year or two. Why? Jari Kurri, explayed of Finland, is a guest at SKA St.Pete games. The same Kurri plays for veteran team of russians, called Gazprom Export team. Why? Slovan Bratislava and Sparta Praha (which is owned by owner of Lev Praha/KHL) play ET. Why? Only because touney has so great quality? As I said before, I am not naive. KHL has its, lets say spies, in IIHF and ET. Persons which can influence something in behalf of KHL. My opinion, I can be wrong.

Hockey in Europe does not have money to create european competition, NHL/Canada+US/ does not care about euro hockey, no reason for them. Only Russia/KHL have money in Europe. The craziest scenario is that NHL and KHL make a deal, create some super Cup, KHL will behave like NHL (no players to World Championship) .. do we want it? I dont.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  #15
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Doubt people will care much in Sweden. Guess it'll be like Euro hockey tour+1, and considering the interest for EHT in Sweden is almost 0, it will take a lot for it to work.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  #16
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/pitchblog/414985.htm

I like this idea. Games played in different countries, f.e. game Sweden - Slovakia is played in Sweden, etc.

EDIT
fans proposal only, nothing serious


Last edited by vorky: 03-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
  #17
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I like this idea. Games played in different countries, f.e. game Sweden - Slovakia is played in Sweden, etc.
How will this work out? Sweden can't even get enough interested people to watch the world championship in their own nation. Who do you think will show up to watch Sweden play against Slovakia, Swiss, Denmark, Latvia, Norway, Germany?

Hockey in many countries (including Sweden) is not popular enough to garner interest when their national team is playing against less skilled nations, and Sweden is supposed to be one of the countries with the most hockey interest.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
  #18
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Is it smart to move WC to january/february ? In same time there is handball WC or EC, depends on year.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
  #19
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,999
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Is it smart to move WC to january/february ? In same time there is handball WC or EC, depends on year.
Absolutely not. Considering how long the tournament lasts, the risk of players getting injured would be far greater no to mention player fatigue.

The fans are used to and prefer having the tournament in late April/early May. Many Finns plan vacation trips around it.

Also when it comes to Swedes not having an interest in the Worlds, every one knows the biggest fault last year was the ticket prices. They came to their senses and the prices are more affordable for this year's tournament.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:24 AM
  #20
Slimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GBG
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Absolutely not. Considering how long the tournament lasts, the risk of players getting injured would be far greater no to mention player fatigue.

The fans are used to and prefer having the tournament in late April/early May. Many Finns plan vacation trips around it.

Also when it comes to Swedes not having an interest in the Worlds, every one knows the biggest fault last year was the ticket prices. They came to their senses and the prices are more affordable for this year's tournament.
Absolutely agree. I bought tickets to this years tourny and prices was my main concerne. I foolishly thought the Sweden games wouldn't be sold out yet but to my surpize the Chezch game only had a seat or two left. Bought tickets for the Suiz(?) game on friday and the Can - Den game on saturday instead.

As for the proposed EC, I think it could work. Put the tourney in a country who has yet to hold a big hockey tourney before and which is close to a lot of big hockey countries. Reasonable prices and affordable acomodations and you have yourselfes a succesfull EC.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:55 AM
  #21
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Absolutely not. Considering how long the tournament lasts, the risk of players getting injured would be far greater no to mention player fatigue.

The fans are used to and prefer having the tournament in late April/early May. Many Finns plan vacation trips around it.

Also when it comes to Swedes not having an interest in the Worlds, every one knows the biggest fault last year was the ticket prices. They came to their senses and the prices are more affordable for this year's tournament.
Biggest fault yes, but at the same time, if it was a football european/world cup game, the prices could have been 500 euros/ticket and an arena 4x as big as Globen would still easily be sold out. The prices had to be lowered because they thought the interest was bigger than it was. If that tournament was with Canada in Toronto it would be sold out with even higher prices than we had in the hockey championship in Sweden.


Last edited by Jonimaus: 03-07-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:54 AM
  #22
Slimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GBG
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Biggest fault yes, but at the same time, if it was a football european/world cup game, the prices could have been 500 euros/ticket and an arena 4x as big as Globen would still easily be sold out. The prices had to be lowered because they thought the interest was bigger than it was. If that tournament was with Canada in Toronto it would be sold out with even higher prices than we had in the hockey championship in Sweden.
Supply and demand.. But I don't see how, with reasonable prices, there wouldn't be enough interest for Sweden games against Norway or Denmark, at least, to be regarded as a success.
And with the WC held every other year the interest for the tournamnet in North America would hopefully increase. Having to sit out a tournament and glanse at a distance while euro countries have at it might just make the NA crowd hunger for some international competition.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:54 AM
  #23
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,999
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
Supply and demand.. But I don't see how, with reasonable prices, there wouldn't be enough interest for Sweden games against Norway or Denmark, at least, to be regarded as a success.
And with the WC held every other year the interest for the tournamnet in North America would hopefully increase. Having to sit out a tournament and glanse at a distance while euro countries have at it might just make the NA crowd hunger for some international competition.
The problem with the high prices last year wasn't only with local fans but foreign fans. Even at this board one Latvian fan said he used to go to World with huge group of people and due to high prices, they didn't go last year. The more reasonable prices help bring in more tourists from those countries and thus better atmosphere to the games.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
  #24
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I can't see this idea becoming more than a glorified version of the Euro hockey tour. The purpose of international breaks during the season is to allow coaches to test new players and try line combinations, not to be used for some made up competition.

As far as I'm concerned, dropping the EHT and allowing teams to arrange their own fixtures would be enough.
made-up competition......? aren't all competitions made up to begin with?

anythings better than the completely uninteresting and pointless EHT.


Last edited by EbencoyE: 03-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.
EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:55 PM
  #25
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
made-up competition......? aren't all competitions made up to begin with?

anythings better than the completely uninteresting and pointless EHT.
This would be better how? It will actually be worse because no one will care about the games with the lesser teams.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.