HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

3/5 Glendale news on Coyotes sale

Old
03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
zack40

vCash: 500
@Killion , not sure with Bettman you never know, I'll be supprise if they move this years for some reason they want to keep the team there no mather what .. I'm sure they want to move but elsewhere than Canada. Bettman was not so happy to move the trasher to winn... they want to make hockey grow in the state.

zack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianFive View Post
I feel sorry for the genuine Coyotes fans.
Welcome to hf RussianFive!... and ya, this file, its handling by the NHL, wannabe owners & the City of Glendale itself absolutely pathetic. Real people if not directly getting played certainly feeling like they are, hurt & hurting.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Perhaps if Balsillie had just been trying to buy the Coyotes in a normal transaction, a deal could have been worked out. But instead, he decided to team up with Richard Rodier to try to bypass the NHL bylaws by buying a team out of bankruptcy. And personally, I think the NHL should have Hamilton on a "never give this city a team" list because the city threw in with Balsillie and Rodier.
Well this makes a lot of sense. Forever boycot a city due to one past potential owner who tried to move a team to that city against the league's will. Balsillie's greatest crime seems to be he didn't act in perfect harmony with the Old Boy Network's rules and regulations, some of which are written down, some aren't.

If that's the threshold for banning a city from having an NHL team for all time, off the top of my head we better get NHL hockey out of these markets, and the list below is actual NHL owners, not the actions of wannabe potential NHL owners:

- Toronto - Harold Ballard was a criminal and went to jail.
- Anahiem - Samuelli ended up in jail on securities fraud.
- Edmonton - Pocklington ended up in jail.
- Los Angeles - McNall. Jail.
- Nashville - Boots is still in jail.
- Los Angeles - Anschuitz inappropriately loaned money to Boots and "forgot" to tell Gary and the rest of the league.
- Minnesota - Leipold inappropriately loaned money to Boots and "forgot" to tell Gary and the rest of the league.
- Tampa - I'm not even sure the original owners existed. Then Len Barrie got involved somehow, years later.
- St Louis - the owner refused to let the team draft one year.
- NY Islanders - Spano. Fraud.
- Ottawa - Melnyck is regularly under securities violations investigations.
- Buffalo - Adelphia company, racketeering.
- Florida - Blockbuster guy charged too much for late fees on VHS rentals.

I'm sure I'm missing quite a few. The Carousel of Less-Than-Stellar Owners is constant. The NHL has long had a sordid history of getting involved with crooks and weasels. If you're telling me Balsillie is any worse than any of these guys, good luck with that.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
saskganesh

nice list/hall of shame.

re: St. Louis. They didn't draft because the corporate owners of the Blues (Ralston Purina) got a new executive who wanted to divest themselves of the hockey franchise. They tried to sell the team to Wild Bill Hunter ('Toon Berries) and when that was nixed, they simply abandoned the team and turned their focus firmly back to pet food.

Not criminal. Just irresponsible. And comedic.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
People still think Hamilton is a good idea? Seriously?

And KC isn't getting a team before QC or Seattle, whether they already have an arena or not. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that after Seattle, the next American city the NHL would look at is Houston. Dat TV market.
yeah, what a crazy idea it would be to put a team in a market that would instantly become top five revenues in the entire league. i mean, how wacky would that be?

i must admit, im baffled by the continued criticism here of balsillie. it seems that people think it was perfectly fine for the city of glendale to steadfastly refuse adjusting the disastrous lease with moyes (yet was willing to bankrupt the city for a subsequent potential owner), and the NHL was prepared to bend moyes over and steal the franchise from him to give to reinsdorf. and yet it was such an evil thing for balsillie to go thru the BK courts to purchase the team, satisfy all creditors, pay the city a huge premium and start making money for everyone concerned.

it should be plainly obvious to anyone capable of objectively thinking about it ... were the team to have been moved to hamilton that year, not only would all of this mess and millions of dollars in losses have been avoided, but the league would be in better shape.

the longer this has dragged out the more it is clear that the two people least responsible for this outcome are moyes and balsillie. everyone else has p*ssed in the pool.

GuelphStormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
yeah, what a crazy idea it would be to put a team in a market that would instantly become top five revenues in the entire league. i mean, how wacky would that be?

i must admit, im baffled by the continued criticism here of balsillie. it seems that people think it was perfectly fine for the city of glendale to steadfastly refuse adjusting the disastrous lease with moyes (yet was willing to bankrupt the city for a subsequent potential owner), and the NHL was prepared to bend moyes over and steal the franchise from him to give to reinsdorf. and yet it was such an evil thing for balsillie to go thru the BK courts to purchase the team, satisfy all creditors, pay the city a huge premium and start making money for everyone concerned.

it should be plainly obvious to anyone capable of objectively thinking about it ... were the team to have been moved to hamilton that year, not only would all of this mess and millions of dollars in losses have been avoided, but the league would be in better shape.

the longer this has dragged out the more it is clear that the two people least responsible for this outcome are moyes and balsillie. everyone else has p*ssed in the pool.

There was the issue of the 30 yr lease with COG, and the hundreds of millions already spent in building the arena for the team. Never mind the penalties for breaking the lease.

Novels rivaling War & Peace in length can be written about the handling of this from start to finish (I reserve publishing rights for CF's version), and COG can bear a lot of blame for mishandling Moyes' requests for subsidies, and he can bear blame for not nurturing a better relationship--- but there was no way out of the lease to move the team when JB made his bid.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
There was the issue of the 30 yr lease with COG, and the hundreds of millions already spent in building the arena for the team. Never mind the penalties for breaking the lease.

Novels rivaling War & Peace in length can be written about the handling of this from start to finish (I reserve publishing rights for CF's version), and COG can bear a lot of blame for mishandling Moyes' requests for subsidies, and he can bear blame for not nurturing a better relationship--- but there was no way out of the lease to move the team when JB made his bid.
there were about 50,000,000 ways out, Fugu.

GuelphStormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
there were about 50,000,000 ways out, Fugu.

All had to be negotiated with COG. Like I said, the city has to bear its portion of blame, but the team was bound contractually to the arena. Those types of contracts aren't unilaterally voidable.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
If that's the threshold for banning a city from having an NHL team for all time, off the top of my head we better get NHL hockey out of these markets, and the list below is actual NHL owners, not the actions of wannabe potential NHL owners:

- Los Angeles - Anschuitz inappropriately loaned money to Boots and "forgot" to tell Gary and the rest of the league.
- Minnesota - Leipold inappropriately loaned money to Boots and "forgot" to tell Gary and the rest of the league.
- Tampa - I'm not even sure the original owners existed. Then Len Barrie got involved somehow, years later.
Don't forget Calgary, where Nelson Skalbania once did time in the clink for theft.

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
rkhum

I am irriatated the NHL held a lockout over revenue and not once did the players make a stink about how this Phoenix fiasco is hurting their revenues and holding everyone down.
Let it go.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Tony O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Well this makes a lot of sense. Forever boycot a city due to one past potential owner who tried to move a team to that city against the league's will. Balsillie's greatest crime seems to be he didn't act in perfect harmony with the Old Boy Network's rules and regulations, some of which are written down, some aren't.

U.S. District Judge Cormac J. Carney rejecting the government's charge against him of lying to investigators, and the case was thrown out.

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
datbwoymjp
Wa gwan?

I hope they're new uniforms are like the Thunderbirds.

datbwoymjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Please keep detailed discussions of other markets confined to threads about those markets. The Hamilton topic is interesting but off-topic for this thread.

Thanks!

edit: The Hamilton-related conversation has been relocated: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1338133 Please continue that discussion in the appropriate thread. Thank you!

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 03-07-2013 at 09:05 AM.
tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote