HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 500
Gionta is making way too much money.
It's still not a good idea to trade your captain 1. when you're in 1rst place 2. right before the playoff.

This is coming from a fan that don't really like Gionta and would like Gorges as the team captain.

+ he has a NTC and he won't waive it.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I see Moen, Armstrong and Weber used as trade bait from the roster. Maybe some mid rd picks as well. Any af those pieces packaged up to land the coveted 3rd line heart and soul gritty type.

To varying degrees (and values) Boyle, Clutterbuck, Parros, Carcillo, Bollig could be good targets as bottom 6 size/strength/grit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
To me, he's the one (Moen) who we the Habs need an upgrade on.
That's why I see him as part of a package deal to get that player MB would like. And I think it'll be one of those 5 names I mentioned. I only hope we don't give up too much to get it. MB has done well thus far, but this deadline will still be his 1st. We'll see

Old
03-06-2013, 08:12 AM
coolasprICE

1. People, Brian Gionta will not be traded. Better chance of getting re-signed. You're wasting your time speculating about this.
2. People, Brian Gionta will not be traded. Better chance of getting re-signed. You're wasting your time speculating about this.
3. People, Brian Gionta will not be traded. Better chance of getting re-signed. You're wasting your time speculating about this.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Gionta is making way too much money.
It's still not a good idea to trade your captain 1. when you're in 1rst place 2. right before the playoff.

This is coming from a fan that don't really like Gionta and would like Gorges as the team captain.

+ he has a NTC and he won't waive it.
People on here obsess too much on salary and cap hits. If the guy is not giving the effort or is a poor example for young players, by all means, dump his ass...but to do that to Gionta because he is a 4 mil player and not a 5 mil player would be moronic.

It would send the worst possible message to the young players. Every team in the NHL has at least one, if not 3-4 players playing below their cap hit. It's a non issue as long as it's not the whole team.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If this is the goal then who are they looking to move?

Patches DD Gallagher ......... DD? I wouldn't. Maybe Gally - city would riot
Gally Pleks Ryder................ Pleks? Therrien loves him. Ryder? That would be pointless, could have traded Cole for what they want now.
Prust/Bourque Eller Gionta... Looks like Gionta.

So to bring in that top 9 gritty physical player would mean that Gionta is on the move. No other way to fit that player into our top nine.

I don't know if management is ready to cut Gionta loose. I was never a big fan of Gionta for this team. For Boston, Philadephia, Toronto, yes. For Montreal no.

If they are really looking for a top 9 looks like Gionta is the candidate to go.
Regarding the bolded part: 34 years old Cole was showing signs of decline and he has two more years left to his contract at 4,5M$ per season. Moving him without receiving a heavy contract in return (that was the main objective) probably was not an easy task. The 3rd round pick was icing on the cake.

Going directly from Cole to “big forward with a fair contract”, was a major challenge. Borderline wishful thinking imo!

If Bergevin really wants to get bigger upfront (top 9), moving Ryder out is a legit option. If Desharnais is looking for a 4M$+ per season contract, he would also be a good option.

My 3 candidates (to help us get bigger in the top 9) are: 1. Ryder, 2. Desharnais (if he is looking for 4M$+ per season) and 3. Gionta.

------------------------------------------------

This team needs Bourque.
Moen needs to play with more intensity.
Ryder + a 2nd round pick (+ Weber if necessary) can help us get (not a rental) bigger up front.
I still wish for a Dumont/Armstrong swap on 4th.

As for the D, unless Diaz is out for the season, I would stand pat and wait for Tinordi. Next season 3. Tinordi – Diaz with Bouillon as the #7D would be great.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I hope we do go out and get some size and grit, but not this Moen/Armstrong garbage. A team of Prust's would be great!
This reminded me of this...and made my day!

Old
03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hope it's true. If you get rid of those 2nd rounders in 2013, you better hope it's not for half of a season of Dominic Moore.
When Bergevin had the PC after the Cole/Ryder trade he said something that really stuck with me. The Anglo reporter asked him his thinking behind the trade. Marc explained it and then added in bold highlights, "AND we got a third pick in 2013. That was an important part of the trade for me."

A GM that gives that sort of answer will not trade a 2nd for a few weeks of Dominic Moore.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Ryder + a 2nd round pick (+ Weber if necessary)
LOL. Will that be the new Ryder + Halak + 2nd

Old
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
.but to do that to Gionta because he is a 4 mil player and not a 5 mil player would be moronic.
Prust is a what? 2.8 player. You think Gionta is playing better than Prust? So your remark should be he is a 2.5 million player getting paid 5 million.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:30 AM
onice

Quote:
Gionta......has a NTC and he won't waive it.
So did Cole.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
So did Cole.
Cole wanted to move

Old
03-06-2013, 08:53 AM
onice

Quote:
Cole wanted to move
You're speculating.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:01 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
1. People, Brian Gionta will not be traded. Better chance of getting re-signed. You're wasting your time speculating about this.
I highly doubt this

Old
03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
WestIslander

Montreal has 6 picks in the top 90 this summer, this is the deepest draft since 2003 where we saw one of the most talented and deep drafts in the history of the NHL, I would not trade any pick between rounds 1 and 3, only 4 and beyond because I honestly think that we can rebuild this team for years to come after this summer alone and draft around:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - XXXXX
Gallagher - XXXXX - Collberg
XXXXX - Eller - Kristo
XXXXX - White - XXXXX
Leblanc

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin
Thrower

Price
Tokarski

Old
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

If you're looking for a 2nd Prust out there, and let's be honest, we certainly could use one to replace on of our 4th liners, Boll and Thorburn are your best picks.

I fail to see any opening on the top-9 unless we dump one of the guys already there to be honest. What we could use is a big body on the backend and an agitator/pugilist/energy player who actually adds speed to the team on the 4th line.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Guilliam

The obsession with Gionta on these boards nowadays is absurd. For all his shortcomings he's still on pace for a 25-30 goals season, provides good defensive play and leadership.

I say let him finish his contract here, it will give us another year to find out if one of our young guns is captain material.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Montreal has 6 picks in the top 90 this summer, this is the deepest draft since 2003 where we saw one of the most talented and deep drafts in the history of the NHL, I would not trade any pick between rounds 1 and 3, only 4 and beyond because I honestly think that we can rebuild this team for years to come after this summer alone and draft around:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - XXXXX
Gallagher - XXXXX - Collberg
XXXXX - Eller - Kristo
XXXXX - White - XXXXX
Leblanc

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Ellis - Emelin
Thrower

Price
Tokarski
I honestly think that if this team is going to win a Stanley Cup in the coming years, Plekanec will be part of it. You need veterans and I can't thinkof a better one than Pleky.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
The obsession with Gionta on these boards nowadays is absurd. For all his shortcomings he's still on pace for a 25-30 goals season, provides good defensive play and leadership.

I say let him finish his contract here, it will give us another year to find out if one of our young guns is captain material.
Habs need a scapegoat every year. Gomez and Kostitsyn are gone, Bourque is playing okay, so attention needs to be diverted elsewhere. This year it's Gionta and soon it will be Price.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Habs

Every year Hab fans think they are going to get some dynamic, game changing player near the deadline. It never happens, it's TSN prying on your abilities to wish upon a falling star. This year will be no different.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Every year Hab fans think they are going to get some dynamic, game changing player near the deadline. It never happens, it's TSN prying on your abilities to wish upon a falling star. This year will be no different.
All I'm hoping for is a decent bottom-6 player capable of dropping the gloves and having some speed in his game, along with a depth d-man capable of clearing the crease. If the bottom-6 player can win faceoffs as well it would be a huge plus.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Andy

The forward group is fine. Fix the D. Losing Diaz on the back-end shouldn't hurt this much. Since he's been out the defense has been all over the place. Habs need a bigger body back there and a stabilizing presence.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
The Doors

Gionta's not going to be traded, they wanted to move a contract and went with Cole. O'Byrne or Murray to be a bottom pairing UFA-to-be D with size, a healthy Bourque. "We've got Rene Bourque back and that's like a trade deadline pick up"

Old
03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
It's such a ratings grab that TSN now has Tradecentre shows one month ahead of the deadline. All to say "montreal might want some size but Bergevin won't probably most likely might but absolutely will somewhat think to trade for a rental".

Old
03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It's such a ratings grab that TSN now has Tradecentre shows one month ahead of the deadline. All to say "montreal might want some size but Bergevin won't probably most likely might but absolutely will somewhat think to trade for a rental".
I thought the same thing, i'm okay with TSN 690 talking about the habs all day and all that, but Tradecentre 1 month before the real Tradecentre? cmon now calm down

Old
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I agree with people talking about bringing in help on D. This team could really use a physical defenseman to clear the front of the net. Unfortunately most teams aren't exactly looking to get rid of those types of players.

Closed Thread