HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Backstrom (To Re-Sign or Not to Re-Sign?)

Old
03-06-2013, 05:15 AM
651*

vCash: 500
With Harding's situation I think it's almost a necessity to keep Backs. He is a very good 'tender just had that occasional off night last night.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:54 AM
DANOZ28

its supply & demand. if several teams want/ need an experienced goaltender then backs can demand the moon. if nobody needs a 6 mill / no playoff wins goalie then we should be able to re-sign him at 3.5! that was easy!

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:58 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
its supply & demand. if several teams want/ need an experienced goaltender then backs can demand the moon. if nobody needs a 6 mill / no playoff wins goalie then we should be able to re-sign him at 3.5! that was easy!
There is plenty of teams that would be interested in him if he was available, he is an upgrade to a few teams in the league.

Its a tough situation because of Harding's MS. i think the team was baking on going Harding/Backstrom and then trading Backs at deadline to call up Hackett/Kuempur but that didn't work out.

This is now a situation where Backstrom has all the cards, he can demand 4-5 mil with a minimum 3 year term and GMCF may not have much choice if he still wants to make the playoffs other then giving the job to a rookie.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
There is plenty of teams that would be interested in him if he was available, he is an upgrade to a few teams in the league.

Its a tough situation because of Harding's MS. i think the team was baking on going Harding/Backstrom and then trading Backs at deadline to call up Hackett/Kuempur but that didn't work out.

This is now a situation where Backstrom has all the cards, he can demand 4-5 mil with a minimum 3 year term and GMCF may not have much choice if he still wants to make the playoffs other then giving the job to a rookie.
You mean a maximum 3 year term, right? I don't think a lot of teams want to be locked into a goalie pushing 40 years old. He'll be in the $3m-$4m range and the 2-3 year range.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
klog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Yeah. But Backs is by far the best Vet goaltender on the market unless Jimmy Howard somehow hits FA.

That won't happen.

klog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Kaptain
I am Jax

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by klog1 View Post
That won't happen.
I know........

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You mean a maximum 3 year term, right? I don't think a lot of teams want to be locked into a goalie pushing 40 years old. He'll be in the $3m-$4m range and the 2-3 year range.
Ya know, it's funny Dr, but I had a whole counter-post ready to submit, thinking 2-3 years for 3-4 would be stability, etc. But, when I considered the prospects, Hackett, Kuemper, and Gustafsson, I deleted my post before I sent it. I almost never disagree with your opinion oddly enough.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote