HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

MLS vs. NHL Going Forward?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
In the UK, I think Sky has PPV for a number of the games.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Average attendance in MLS is something like 18000. and I believe the Sounders are the only team that consistently use a stadium with more than 25k capacity. I think Caps games are usually capped at around 21000 and they typically get 19k/20k a game.
LA's stadium seats 27,000 when they sell upper bowl seats (they don't always because of an agreement with Cal State-Dominguez Hills, long story). New England (Gillette Stadium) and D.C. United (RFK Stadium) both play in cavernous football stadiums, but never really threaten to fill them the way Seattle does. D.C. is working on a new venue at Buzzard's Point that is making real headway and will likely be in that 20-25,000 range.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
In the UK, I think Sky has PPV for a number of the games.
It's all on there regular channel, from what I am reading. They charge approx 9pounds a month as a carriage fee. ESPN is around 6US for all there channels.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
gelu88

Sports broadcast rights are a huge bubble that is certain to collapse in the next few years.

Sports rights are subsidized by the general carriage fees of all the people that don't watch sports but have the channel in their package.

We are in a time of increasing "cord shaving" if not "cord cutting" that undermines the business model that carriers, sports channels and leagues have gotten used to in recent years.

If only the people that actually watched a certain game paid for it, no existing contract could come close to breaking even.

Products like NHLCI, MLSLIVE, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc are still in their initial stages, ie: blackouts, restrictions, etc. But as existing contracts expire, I can see leagues wanting to exert more direct control over their consumers.

I as clueless as anyone else over how things will turn out, but the way we consume sports 10 years from not will almost certainly be very different than we do know.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:33 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
Really, which Euro 2012 games did you watch? Did you call out sick from work to watch a sport you don't care about? Which country are your ancestors from that you supported in Euro 2012?

Yes, I'm calling ********. Euro 2012 does not attract casual fans on the level of the Olympics or World Cup. Most sports fans in the US have no idea what Euro 2012 is.
I watched a few games that were on weekends. Only teams I recall watching awas the Croatia-Ireland game. I am Irish and Swedish. I might have, but do not remember watching any of Sweden's games. I also watched most of the Championship game. No, I did not call out sick from work to stay home and watch. However, I also would not do that for US Olympic hockey, either.

Anymore questions?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:36 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelu88 View Post
Sports broadcast rights are a huge bubble that is certain to collapse in the next few years.

Sports rights are subsidized by the general carriage fees of all the people that don't watch sports but have the channel in their package.

We are in a time of increasing "cord shaving" if not "cord cutting" that undermines the business model that carriers, sports channels and leagues have gotten used to in recent years.

If only the people that actually watched a certain game paid for it, no existing contract could come close to breaking even.

Products like NHLCI, MLSLIVE, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc are still in their initial stages, ie: blackouts, restrictions, etc. But as existing contracts expire, I can see leagues wanting to exert more direct control over their consumers.

I as clueless as anyone else over how things will turn out, but the way we consume sports 10 years from not will almost certainly be very different than we do know.
Funny you mention this, because Cablevision has sued Viacom over something that sounds like to what you are alluding. Basically Viacom says, "if you want our channels, you have to take them all." They own a few popular channels and a bunch more that most people do not care about. This was similar to what was done in the movie industry in the 50s. Companies would tell theaters, "you want Psycho (for example), then you have to also take these 4..." SOmeone sued, congress or the supreme court or whomever agreed with the movie theater and the practice was outlawed.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:13 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I dont believe the MLS is as big as the NHL, I dont think anytime soon the MLS will take over the NHL. People may argue that the MLS has higher attendance ratings but I think that has a lot to do with the seating capacity in soccer games and not so much of the popularity of the league. You can easily fit over 30k people in a soccer arena with no issues... The highest in the NHL is 23? And even if they make ways to increase it to 25 I dont see it ever going above that.

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world without a doubt. I love the sport and I am a fan of professional leagues. And as one, I can honestly say that no one really cares about the MLS. In NY, Red Bull tickets are cheap and on a nice day its a great thing to do. But as ticket prices go up, youll see fans drop immensely. One kid in my town loves to gather up 2-3 dozen people and buy a bundle. We go because he organizes. This usually happens in most cases because they give cheap tickets away when you buy in bulk. Once a year the Croatian Community here buys 200 tickets for like $60 and that includes open bar at the bar before hand lol. Once MLS goes to Queens which it should in a year or two, no one will care about the "big market" MLS team in New Jersey. Idk one person who is a die hard Red Bull fan.

I can also say that real soccer fans or players dont care about the MLS. They watch English Premier League. They watch Italian Serie A and La Liga or Bundeslga or Mexican Premier or Brazilain League 1. They watch the teams in their heirtage or the Champions League.

US Soccer has increased globally but even that is kind of at a stand still.

Beckham was not even close to being the top player in Europe or the World. He was a positional role player for years until going to the MLS. His name made the MLS big. Now that he is gone, I cant see LA Galaxy or MLS being as relative to the media. Not that it will affect much of its rating in the entire league or the back0to back champs in LA but my point is that the NHL has to many real fans to drop off to the 5th.

The sport has grown tremedously in the last 10 years. Watch it grow even more.

Ratings went up extreme even with a lockout. That has a lot to say about the NHL and hockey growth in America...
Excellent post, although I doubt too many people in Queens will become die-hards of an MLS team. I know soccer is huge in Queens, but the team will be just like you described the Red Bulls. A nice evening out when the weather is nice.

If you want further proof of how irrelevant the Red Bulls are in NY, check out bars in Manhattan. You will see bars that advertise which English, Italian, Spanish games they are showing on which days. I have never seen a sign that says, "Come watch the Red Bulls here" and offer drink specials during the game. They are as significant as the Liberty. And yes, they will open early in the morning to get people in and will get a decent crowd.

However, I seriously doubt the MLS really thinks they ever will get to the level of the European leagues, nor are they looking to take over the US Sports market.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Jussi
Thank you, Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez View Post
But does that make up the difference?
I was just googling and Sky Tv pays about a Billion Pounds for the league, a league with no commercials when the game is being played.

How is this profitable? The teams would get sponsorship dollars, where is broadcaster getting revenue from outside of people subscribing?
I think the advertisement boards around the pitch don't always show the same ads to the fans in attendance than the tv audience.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
It's all on there regular channel, from what I am reading. They charge approx 9pounds a month as a carriage fee. ESPN is around 6US for all there channels.
Sky is a case of vertical integration... to get the full Sky Sports experience, you need to have Sky as your carrier. And then you're charged for all the Sky networks, etc.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Funny you mention this, because Cablevision has sued Viacom over something that sounds like to what you are alluding. Basically Viacom says, "if you want our channels, you have to take them all." They own a few popular channels and a bunch more that most people do not care about. This was similar to what was done in the movie industry in the 50s. Companies would tell theaters, "you want Psycho (for example), then you have to also take these 4..." SOmeone sued, congress or the supreme court or whomever agreed with the movie theater and the practice was outlawed.

United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc., 334 US 131 (1948).

Forced the studios to divest themselves of their theater holdings and outlawed block booking and other restrictive practices.

More than you care to know: Breaking the Studios: Antitrust and the Motion Picture Industry

Old
03-05-2013, 05:18 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
But does that make up the difference?
I was just googling and Sky Tv pays about a Billion Pounds for the league, a league with no commercials when the game is being played.

How is this profitable? The teams would get sponsorship dollars, where is broadcaster getting revenue from outside of people subscribing?
It's nearly all from subscriptions (I'm pretty sure).

It'd be like if the NFL was on HBO.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:55 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Yup, this is only one more data point it the trend.

Cablevision is reluctant to raise the prices of its consumers, since it understands the threat of cord cutting and losing consumers, but for the moment Viacom has the upper hand, since it owns the content.

But the development of Netflix and League owned broadcast services risks to render both parties obsolete in their own way.

Obviously I don't want to make any absolute prognostications, and I doubt the current business models will just disappear, but it will certainly be eroded.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
LA's stadium seats 27,000 when they sell upper bowl seats (they don't always because of an agreement with Cal State-Dominguez Hills, long story). New England (Gillette Stadium) and D.C. United (RFK Stadium) both play in cavernous football stadiums, but never really threaten to fill them the way Seattle does. D.C. is working on a new venue at Buzzard's Point that is making real headway and will likely be in that 20-25,000 range.
DC United doesn't sell the upstairs anymore. Max attendance is a shade over 20k. The Eastern Conference Final last fall was a sellout.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:15 PM
RussianFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I dont believe the MLS is as big as the NHL, I dont think anytime soon the MLS will take over the NHL. People may argue that the MLS has higher attendance ratings but I think that has a lot to do with the seating capacity in soccer games and not so much of the popularity of the league. You can easily fit over 30k people in a soccer arena with no issues... The highest in the NHL is 23? And even if they make ways to increase it to 25 I dont see it ever going above that.

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world without a doubt. I love the sport and I am a fan of professional leagues. And as one, I can honestly say that no one really cares about the MLS. In NY, Red Bull tickets are cheap and on a nice day its a great thing to do. But as ticket prices go up, youll see fans drop immensely. One kid in my town loves to gather up 2-3 dozen people and buy a bundle. We go because he organizes. This usually happens in most cases because they give cheap tickets away when you buy in bulk. Once a year the Croatian Community here buys 200 tickets for like $60 and that includes open bar at the bar before hand lol. Once MLS goes to Queens which it should in a year or two, no one will care about the "big market" MLS team in New Jersey. Idk one person who is a die hard Red Bull fan.

I can also say that real soccer fans or players dont care about the MLS. They watch English Premier League. They watch Italian Serie A and La Liga or Bundeslga or Mexican Premier or Brazilain League 1. They watch the teams in their heirtage or the Champions League.

US Soccer has increased globally but even that is kind of at a stand still.

Beckham was not even close to being the top player in Europe or the World. He was a positional role player for years until going to the MLS. His name made the MLS big. Now that he is gone, I cant see LA Galaxy or MLS being as relative to the media. Not that it will affect much of its rating in the entire league or the back0to back champs in LA but my point is that the NHL has to many real fans to drop off to the 5th.

The sport has grown tremedously in the last 10 years. Watch it grow even more.

Ratings went up extreme even with a lockout. That has a lot to say about the NHL and hockey growth in America...
Completely agree. The NHL won't lose its status to the likes of the MLS. As the likes of Stephen Brunt has noted time and again, MLS are getting their fans from people who are already likely committed to other teams and leagues throughout the world. MLS teams are second teams for people who perhaps support Barcelona or will watch the Premier League for Liverpool games, but will go to see Toronto FC games as it's a rare opportunity for them to have a day out watching the sport at a professional level.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
patnyrnyg

In your opinion, what is the definition of a "real" soccer fan?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-06-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: removed deleted post quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
In your opinion, what is the definition of a "real" soccer fan?
The people who sacrifice their time and money to actually go out and watch MLS games are real soccer fans, for example. I just find the concept of a bunch of people who will only watch ManU despite never having been anywhere near Manchester hilarious. Especially the notion that they consider themselves to somehow be more discriminating than people who follow "lesser" leagues. Check this out:

I live in Vienna and this is my club, Rapid Wien. They suck. Whenever they qualify for Europe they get dismantled by every other team. You gonna tell those people they aren't "real" soccer fans because they don't glory hunt for ManU?

Old
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
The people who sacrifice their time and money to actually go out and watch MLS games are real soccer fans, for example. I just find the concept of a bunch of people who will only watch ManU despite never having been anywhere near Manchester hilarious. Especially the notion that they consider themselves to somehow be more discriminating than people who follow "lesser" leagues. Check this out:

I live in Vienna and this is my club, Rapid Wien. They suck. Whenever they qualify for Europe they get dismantled by every other team. You gonna tell those people they aren't "real" soccer fans because they don't glory hunt for ManU?
No, but I am not saying you have to root for ManU to be a real soccer fan. I have heard from many people who are into soccer that they do not bother with the MLS because it is not a good product. Why should they go watch something they deem inferior. They watch soccer on tv, and still play in mens leagues. They are not REAL soccer fans because they have no interest in the Red Bulls? That is a pretty ridiculous claim. I have no interest in the AHL, NCAA hockey, and only a faint interest in Major Jr., no interest in the KHL or any or the European hockey leagues. Does this mean I am not a REAL hockey fan? The poster you were quoting was not saying ManU, they were saying that real soccer fans watch the other leagues.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 03-06-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
No, but I am not saying you have to root for ManU to be a real soccer fan. I have heard from many people who are into soccer that they do not bother with the MLS because it is not a good product. Why should they go watch something they deem inferior. They watch soccer on tv, and still play in mens leagues. They are not REAL soccer fans because they have no interest in the Red Bulls? That is a pretty ridiculous claim. I have no interest in the AHL, NCAA hockey, and only a faint interest in Major Jr., no interest in the KHL or any or the European hockey leagues. Does this mean I am not a REAL hockey fan? The poster you were quoting was not saying ManU, they were saying that real soccer fans watch the other leagues.
Everything is inferior to the top handful of clubs in the world. It doesn't make you (not you personally, obviously) more of a fan because you support a team (in a city you've never been to) that hardly ever loses. It makes you a glory hunter.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Everything is inferior to the top handful of clubs in the world. It doesn't make you (not you personally, obviously) more of a fan because you support a team (in a city you've never been to) that hardly ever loses. It makes you a glory hunter.
You support a team where you cannot attend games, have to hope they are on tv locally, and if not search to get info about your team. I would say that effort makes you more of a fan. Secondly, all the people I know who follow European leagues are either a) from europe and still follow their old team or b) Americans who do not have a favorite particular team, simply watch the games. Those is in B will watch whatever English, Italian, Spanish, International game is on.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Lol at the assertion that every American who is a fan of a big club is just a "glory seeker." Yeah, a great many are, maybe most, but speaking as an Arsenal fan, I know plenty of Americans who know the game and the club and are as passionate about it as any fan in London. Go down to the Blind Pig in New York for a Sunday morning match against a bottom feeder and tell the people who have packed it in wall to wall that they don't care.

Everyone has their own reasons for why they became a fan of a certain team. For me, growing up in North Carolina, there was no MLS team, and I ended up latching on to Arsenal. After moving to New Jersey, I have started going to as many Red Bulls games as I can and would consider myself to be a fan. It's an awesome game day experience going out in the Ironbound beforehand and then walking over to the stadium, and of course I get to watch Thierry Henry play.

But, just because I suddenly live near an MLS team does not mean it's going to suddenly replace my passion for Arsenal. The great thing about Arsenal is that it has a history unlike any American team, and I know that it will still be around after I'm long gone (the sad fact is, I can't confidently say that about my other favorite team, the Carolina Hurricanes). I also know that no matter where I visit or live in the entire world, there will be an Arsenal supporters club. When I moved up here, Arsenal in a sense became the closest thing to a home team that I have, because I can go watch every match with hundreds of fellow supporters. It's rare that I can find someone to talk Canes hockey or NC State sports with outside of North Carolina, but wherever I am, if I am wearing something Arsenal related I always seem to end up in conversation with someone about them.

And yes, there is a massive gulf in the quality of play. MLS has been improving rapidly, and hopefully that will continue, but sometimes the games can just be flat out awful (then again I've seen plenty of brutal Arsenal matches as well).

03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
It's rare that I can find someone to talk Canes hockey or NC State sports with outside of North Carolina
As a side, check to see if there is any NC State Alumni association chapter in the NY Metro area. A LOT of colleges have them, and they often set up deals with bars to watch football/basketball games. Drink and food specials during the game and they make sure the game is on with sound. Depending on the place, it may be a private room with sound or it may just be a section of the bar.

As far as the Canes, Van Diemens on 2nd ave in Manhattan (around the high 20s low 30s) shows pretty much every hockey game. Have gone in on occassion to watch Rangers games and seen people with all different kinds of jerseys in there watching games.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Ugmo

It's fine if you support Arsenal. As long as you don't consider yourself to be somehow superior and more discriminating because you won't lower yourself to watch a "lesser" league.

But to Pat, that's pretty amusing that you think someone is more of a fan because they have to do a quick internet search to find out when their favorite team several thousand miles away is on TV so that they can watch from the comfort of their living room.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Quote:
As a side, check to see if there is any NC State Alumni association chapter in the NY Metro area. A LOT of colleges have them, and they often set up deals with bars to watch football/basketball games. Drink and food specials during the game and they make sure the game is on with sound. Depending on the place, it may be a private room with sound or it may just be a section of the bar.

As far as the Canes, Van Diemens on 2nd ave in Manhattan (around the high 20s low 30s) shows pretty much every hockey game. Have gone in on occassion to watch Rangers games and seen people with all different kinds of jerseys in there watching games.
Thanks, I'll have to check out Van Diemens sometime. There is a tri-state alumni club for NCSU that does game watches sometimes at Brother Jimmy's locations; I have been to a few, so I guess I was exaggerating a tad.

I think this Europe vs. MLS thing is how it is for all sports, it's just that in this case it's being turned into a geographic argument. Out of all the people who are hockey fans, how many actually have an interest in going to an ECHL game? How many basketball fans are following the NBADL? European soccer, even though it is across the ocean, is more accessible for most Americans than the MLS. It's more publicized, more widely discussed and more culturally relevant, except in cities that actually have MLS teams, and even then it's not a certainty. If you look at the marketing and business model most MLS teams are using, it is much more similar to an AHL team than an NHL team.

It's a big mountain that the MLS has to climb, and one that is fairly unique in this country because it's the only "major" team sport where we have to compete with superior leagues in other countries.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
krudmonk

Quote:
Why do you defend front-runners just because their chosen winning team plays abroad? Anyone attaching themselves to the Lakers or Patriots here gets a stigma, but somehow they are cultured and discerning if they throw their allegiances to giant soccer clubs in Europe.

Those types aren't watching other leagues, they are watching a few big clubs. There are very few overseas fans of teams that aren't perennially near the top of the table. Just look at which games get televised, most involve the same few clubs over and over and over.

And real soccer fans know that European leagues are not of any one standard, as we view the NHL being just above the KHL. Real soccer fans judge the play on the pitch, not the perceived status of a broad range of teams.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
nyrmetros

The Metrostars are my local club, but damn what Portland and Seattle have done is freken incredible in terms of a supporters culture.

This is a scene ripped right out of the pages of Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAzedcKokaU

Closed Thread