HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
  #176
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
What is funny about the Leighton circus is that some people said it was a waste of energy to talk about a guy who was going to play 10 games maybe......what an understatement considering he's only played 1 game and been waived

Michael Leighton
GP GA GAA SA PCT
1 5 5.08 26 .808
The sad part about this is, that Boosh isn't any better.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
  #177
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,527
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
What is funny about the Leighton circus is that some people said it was a waste of energy to talk about a guy who was going to play 10 games maybe......what an understatement considering he's only played 1 game and been waived

Michael Leighton
GP GA GAA SA PCT
1 5 5.08 26 .808
In fairness that is just one start. Had it been better and I used that one start to assert that he was doing a good job, I would be flamed beyond belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think Homer may have just been appeasing Leighton (I hope he is but yeah have my doubts)....it's really kind of Lavi's call anyway. Lavi is big on rewarding goalies with playing time for their "body of work" in practice like he had done with Bob. All indications are that Leighton was no better than a cardboard tutor shooter cutout in practice...
Yeah I think this accurate. I don't think Holmgren would tell him, sorry buddy, you will never see the NHL again. Or maybe he did, but Leighton won't come out and say, well Homer said I am toast. Goodnight.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
  #178
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
In fairness that is just one start. Had it been better and I used that one start to assert that he was doing a good job, I would be flamed beyond belief.



Yeah I think this accurate. I don't think Holmgren would tell him, sorry buddy, you will never see the NHL again. Or maybe he did, but Leighton won't come out and say, well Homer said I am toast. Goodnight.

Sure it's one start but he looked like he didn't belong that whole game..his positioning etc was poor. I remember Meltzer saying the same thing but he also said in fairness he hadn't played since the last leap year or something.

The thing is that supposedly in practice he wasn't very "challenging." Then he got a paper cut on his finger or whatever...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:20 PM
  #179
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,527
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sure it's one start but he looked like he didn't belong that whole game..his positioning etc was poor. I remember Meltzer saying the same thing but he also said in fairness he hadn't played since the last leap year or something.

The thing is that supposedly in practice he wasn't very "challenging." Then he got a paper cut on his finger or whatever...
Oh I know. I am not saying that he should be given another shot to get the backup role or anything like that, just pointing to his line from this season thus far is not a fair criticism. He looked like crap. That is fair criticism. Pointing to his numbers in such a small sample size is dubious at best. Like I said, if that one game was a shutout then he got injured, I would get laughed out of here I posted that exact same post only with the hypothetical stats.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  #180
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sure it's one start but he looked like he didn't belong that whole game..his positioning etc was poor. I remember Meltzer saying the same thing but he also said in fairness he hadn't played since the last leap year or something.

The thing is that supposedly in practice he wasn't very "challenging." Then he got a paper cut on his finger or whatever...
I hadn't heard about the practice comment. What's the source? If true, it would be a very good indication (not that he needed much!) of why Laviolette kept Leighton nailed to the bench.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
  #181
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,427
vCash: 5602
In the past few weeks, Brodeur, Anderson, Khabibulin, Harding, Kiprusoff, and now Ward (after the fact), all got hurt, while Dallas hasn't been able to keep any of their goaltenders healthy. Leighton still wasn't claimed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
  #182
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,909
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
In the past few weeks, Brodeur, Anderson, Khabibulin, Harding, Kiprusoff, and now Ward (after the fact), all got hurt, while Dallas hasn't been able to keep any of their goaltenders healthy. Leighton still wasn't claimed.
and yet Holmgren thought he was worth $950,000

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
  #183
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm quite certain Michael Leighton will not prove himself worthy of an NHL job like Craig Anderson has...

I mean the fact that he can't even prove himself in practice pretty much confirms my belief...
Hindsight is 20/20. Do you think that the 3 GM's that waived Anderson in 2006 thought that he would have proved himself worthy of an NHL job and be one of the top netminders 6 years later?

All I am saying is that you posted that Leighton was waived a bunch of times. So was Anderson (ironically both were with the Blackhawks and played together in the AHL) so one truly never knows what can happen.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
  #184
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,775
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and yet Holmgren thought he was worth $950,000
Get ready to see him signed for 850k this offseason.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
  #185
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,527
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Get ready to see him signed for 850k this offseason.
He deserves at least double that. I think you are forgetting his three shutouts against Montreal.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
  #186
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Do you think that the 3 GM's that waived Anderson in 2006 thought that he would have proved himself worthy of an NHL job and be one of the top netminders 6 years later?

All I am saying is that you posted that Leighton was waived a bunch of times. So was Anderson (ironically both were with the Blackhawks and played together in the AHL) so one truly never knows what can happen.
This is a ludicrous analogy ..it's a false equivalency. We know what has happened with Leighton time and time again..huge sample size. Leighton has been given a ton of opportunities to prove himself in the NHL compared to Anderson and has been waived over a dozen times. I mean for the life of God..Leighton had the opportunity of a lifetime to prove himself in a Cup Final and crapped the bed. There are tons of players let alone goalies who never even get that chance....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
  #187
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,527
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
This is a ludicrous analogy ..it's a false equivalency. We know what has happened with Leighton time and time again..huge sample size. Leighton has been given a ton of opportunities to prove himself in the NHL compared to Anderson and has been waived over a dozen times. I mean for the life of God..Leighton had the opportunity of a lifetime to prove himself in a Cup Final and crapped the bed. There are tons of players let alone goalies who never even get that chance....
I think that is why he was talking about hindsight. Yes he was given all these chances and blew them but when he was signed after being waived all those times, it was possible for him to turn out to be better than what those waiving teams thought they were waiving. Clearly that was not the case, but I believe what he was saying is that just because you sign someone that got waived (even multiple times) it doesn't mean that the guy is going to be waived again in the future or that it is a per se bad signing.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
  #188
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,775
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He deserves at least double that. I think you are forgetting his three shutouts against Montreal.
*token response here*

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  #189
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think that is why he was talking about hindsight. Yes he was given all these chances and blew them but when he was signed after being waived all those times, it was possible for him to turn out to be better than what those waiving teams thought they were waiving. Clearly that was not the case, but I believe what he was saying is that just because you sign someone that got waived (even multiple times) it doesn't mean that the guy is going to be waived again in the future or that it is a per se bad signing.
With Leighton the "possibility" was like humans figuring out how to travel at the speed of light. In any case, if we limit it to the Flyers..they should have cut off ties with him after the Finals and when he wasn't forthcoming with his back injury. Unfortunately, he was resurrected like Lazerus for a critical game in the playoffs that nearly got the Flyers ousted in the first round. He went AWOL after that outing and had some kind of nervous breakdown supposedly. To add insult to injury...Holmgren actually considers him to be an option at backup after Bryz had a terrible season last year. It just baffles the mind that this Leighton caricature continues to get chances at the NHL level after he has proven time and time again more so than Anderson that HE DOES NOT BELONG!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
  #190
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,921
vCash: 50
Also, Craig Anderson is an exception to the rule. That is a ridiculous comparison.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  #191
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Also, Craig Anderson is an exception to the rule. That is a ridiculous comparison.
That's my point, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
  #192
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,527
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
*token response here*
Haha. Yeah, it is clear that I was very wrong on my whole "Leighton is an NHL goalie" argument. Forgive me?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.