HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Players similar to Zach Kassian

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  #1
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Players similar to Zach Kassian

The reason I ask is because Edmonton needs a physical player in their top 6 and they don't come cheap so their best bet is to get a player like Zach who is a little younger with upside to play in the top six..

Vancouver and Edmonton most likely will not deal significant pieces to each other so I am wondering if there is similar players to Zach out there on different teams that Edmonton might be able to pry away with a player like Ales Hemsky??

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
  #2
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Tyler Biggs Toronto
Tom Wilson Washington

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
  #3
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Tyler Biggs Toronto
Tom Wilson Washington
They would need to be players who currently are able to play in the NHL as a bottom six but with upside of top six... I don't think they would want to trade Hemsky for a prospect that has yet to play an NHL game

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
  #4
DanrikCarter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Young power forwards?

Saad - Chicago
Budish - Nashville
Foligno - Buffalo
Biggs - Toronto
Clifford? - LA
Bjustad - Florida
Wilson - Washington

DanrikCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
  #5
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
They would need to be players who currently are able to play in the NHL as a bottom six but with upside of top six... I don't think they would want to trade Hemsky for a prospect that has yet to play an NHL game
I agree that a Kassian type is one of the things that the Oilers need, particularly with the hope that your young guys all "arrive" at the same time and make you contenders in a couple more years.

The problem is prying one away from another team. For the Canucks it took moving a Hodgson...and then putting up with the hysteria every time Hodgson scores a goal.

I like Hemsky but I am not sure he is enough to score a young power forward from another team. Unless you give up someone with a great pedigree (and all your young #1s have that) then I don't see Edmonton being able to pull off a deal.

To get a true young, star power forward, you may have to dangle Hall, RNH, Eberle or Yak...much like the canucks had to offer up Hodgson.

Is that something Tamblowe would contemplate?

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  #6
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I agree that a Kassian type is one of the things that the Oilers need, particularly with the hope that your young guys all "arrive" at the same time and make you contenders in a couple more years.

The problem is prying one away from another team. For the Canucks it took moving a Hodgson...and then putting up with the hysteria every time Hodgson scores a goal.

I like Hemsky but I am not sure he is enough to score a young power forward from another team. Unless you give up someone with a great pedigree (and all your young #1s have that) then I don't see Edmonton being able to pull off a deal.

To get a true young, star power forward, you may have to dangle Hall, RNH, Eberle or Yak...much like the canucks had to offer up Hodgson.

Is that something Tamblowe would contemplate?
To get Kassian the Oilers would have to serve up Yakupov or equivalent

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
  #7
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,978
vCash: 500
You don't get those players for free.

You have to pay for them, or draft them higher than you'd like and hope they work out.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
  #8
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,235
vCash: 500
Knowing that forsberg slipped in the draft does Edmonton regret not trading the first overall for the caps two picks?

Wilson was said to be ready this year.

Not saying this deal was on the table but often fans act like two mid firsts can't land the number one overall and I think this might be a case where the two picks look better. The caps will have an abundance of young power forwards.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 AM
  #9
GoBs
Registered User
 
GoBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Caron. Uses his size on the boards, but not overly physical.

He's probably good enough to play his effort in the AHL just isn't there consistently. Is prv still in the AHL maybe a prospect swap could work to get them both back on track.


Last edited by GoBs: 03-06-2013 at 11:30 AM.
GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 AM
  #10
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 50
We had to trade our top prospect and a bottom pairing D to get Kassian and a roster dump. Granted Edmonton's top prospect > Hodgson, but we also don't have the cavalcade of young talent the Oilers do.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
  #11
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,922
vCash: 500
jordon caron is feeling like hes available out of boston... regressed bad this year but has played a bottom 6 role in the past for a very deep and very talented team

is his problem something fixable that a new team would fix? what is his ultimate upside?

i think boston would much rather have a guy with skill like a paajarvi type. i think Paajarvi has more value then Caron. If I was Boston I would seriously consider giving up Caron and a first for Paajarvi.

Would Caron be of interest though? he has regressed alot this year...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
  #12
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,825
vCash: 500
It's not like Kassian cane cheap. It cost Vancouver a young right-handed center who's playing, at least offensively, like a legit #1C this year, while making progress in the weaker parts of his game (faceoffs, D, skating).
I feel like Edmonton would be better off either trying to draft a guy like that or looking for a player who's struggling but might just need a change of scenery.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
  #13
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 39,311
vCash: 50
biggest comparable imo is Kyle Clifford

especially since both have seen good ice time, but dont have a long leash meaning that when inconsistency strikes, they get relegated to the fourth line. As a Canucks fan i am really excited about Kassian, but it will be a few years (at least) before he can realize his full potential imo. He has a lot of trade value right now for the Canucks, especially since we have no one like him in our system.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  #14
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It's not like Kassian cane cheap. It cost Vancouver a young right-handed center who's playing, at least offensively, like a legit #1C this year, while making progress in the weaker parts of his game (faceoffs, D, skating).
I feel like Edmonton would be better off either trying to draft a guy like that or looking for a player who's struggling but might just need a change of scenery.
How Cody Hodgson is playing this year is irrelevant to the trade value he was worth at the time, Cody was a player with upside but had a past of injuries that seemed to be holding him back.. I don't believe the Oilers would have to give up any of their star kids right now because their value is much more higher than Cody's ever was last year..

What is the general consensus on Nino out of NYI? Does he play physical or is he just another version of Paajarvi? (big, fast, skilled, no physical presence whats so ever)

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
  #15
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
How Cody Hodgson is playing this year is irrelevant to the trade value he was worth at the time, Cody was a player with upside but had a past of injuries that seemed to be holding him back.. I don't believe the Oilers would have to give up any of their star kids right now because their value is much more higher than Cody's ever was last year..

What is the general consensus on Nino out of NYI? Does he play physical or is he just another version of Paajarvi? (big, fast, skilled, no physical presence whats so ever)
Most people had Cody ranked much higher in value then Kassian at the time and thought the Van got ripped off. Also Nino would not come cheap at all.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  #16
sBarry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
biggest comparable imo is Kyle Clifford

especially since both have seen good ice time, but dont have a long leash meaning that when inconsistency strikes, they get relegated to the fourth line. As a Canucks fan i am really excited about Kassian, but it will be a few years (at least) before he can realize his full potential imo. He has a lot of trade value right now for the Canucks, especially since we have no one like him in our system.
While Cliffy is more of a comparable to Kassian because of the physical nature of his game, I don't think that the Kings would be willing to move him right now. Maybe Edm could pry out a Dwight King, but he's less physical with his big frame, so I don't know if he's exactly what they're looking for.

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
  #17
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
To get Kassian the Oilers would have to serve up Yakupov or equivalent
What are you smoking?

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  #18
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
How Cody Hodgson is playing this year is irrelevant to the trade value he was worth at the time, Cody was a player with upside but had a past of injuries that seemed to be holding him back.. I don't believe the Oilers would have to give up any of their star kids right now because their value is much more higher than Cody's ever was last year..

What is the general consensus on Nino out of NYI? Does he play physical or is he just another version of Paajarvi? (big, fast, skilled, no physical presence whats so ever)
Isles think Nino has 30 goal pf potential. He plays a physical, chippy game.
Snow has ignored Nino's trade demand. Nino's rep's given two interviews, saying in both that he doubts Nino gets dealt.

Only opposing fans seem to think, that 20 yr old Nino can be acquired cheaply.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  #19
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Most people had Cody ranked much higher in value then Kassian at the time and thought the Van got ripped off. Also Nino would not come cheap at all.
I agree that most people did, including myself. But that was mainly because people look at point totals over any other aspect of the game first.

Hodgson was putting up more points and will do so most likely for the rest of his career but that was not what Vancouver needed. They needed a physical presence, exactly what Edmonton now needs.

If you look at who is going to put up more points than you are missing the point of the trade.. I would be more than happy to trade someone along the lines of Hemsky/MPS for someone less skilled and more physical.. Assuming that they have enough skill to play in the top 6, but do not need to be a point producing beast.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
  #20
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
How Cody Hodgson is playing this year is irrelevant to the trade value he was worth at the time, Cody was a player with upside but had a past of injuries that seemed to be holding him back.. I don't believe the Oilers would have to give up any of their star kids right now because their value is much more higher than Cody's ever was last year..

What is the general consensus on Nino out of NYI? Does he play physical or is he just another version of Paajarvi? (big, fast, skilled, no physical presence whats so ever)
I'd think that if a Zach Kassian clone was available, the Oilers would have had to offer Paajarvi, or if they gave one of the big 4 the other team would have to add to Kassian. But if you're looking for someone young with upside like that, then it will cost a very good prospect/player.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
  #21
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Further to my point, Edmonton needs a player who can play along side Nuge and Eberle and bang bodies around without the play always dying on their stick.. The points and goals will come from other players on the team, but the puck retrieval from laying a hit on a defensemen is what is currently missing.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
  #22
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I'd think that if a Zach Kassian clone was available, the Oilers would have had to offer Paajarvi, or if they gave one of the big 4 the other team would have to add to Kassian. But if you're looking for someone young with upside like that, then it will cost a very good prospect/player.
I think in the perfect scenario, Paajarvi would be the guy to trade. He does not really fit into the top six currently because we have enough soft skilled guys.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM
  #23
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Further to my point, Edmonton needs a player who can play along side Nuge and Eberle and bang bodies around without the play always dying on their stick.. The points and goals will come from other players on the team, but the puck retrieval from laying a hit on a defensemen is what is currently missing.
Those players are worth a lot and even Boston would like more of them. They don't come cheap. You have to draft them, or hope you find a dummy team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  #24
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
kassian isn't even that physical, he's just huge.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
  #25
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Further to my point, Edmonton needs a player who can play along side Nuge and Eberle and bang bodies around without the play always dying on their stick.. The points and goals will come from other players on the team, but the puck retrieval from laying a hit on a defensemen is what is currently missing.
Isles are looking for the same, for the Moulson-Tavares line.

Boyes, 5 goals and 18 assists, has put up points, but neither Boyes or Moulson bang bodies, provide a physical presence. I'd hoped at the start of the season that Okposo would play that role.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.