HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 way trade proposal Rangers Sabres Canucks

Old
07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I just probably don't rate Kesler or Cooke as high as others, I guess.
that could be it. Cooke had a few freak injuries last year, but before that was 9th place in Selke voting as a 24 year old... he has the hands to get 15-20 goals tops, but has great wheels. Most Canuck fans wished he would fight more, but he can hit like a truck. Kesler's offense is still unknown, some games he would dazzle on break-aways and some he would fire horrible passes. He is extremely fast, and developed a wicked physical presence last year, even beat Iginla in the fight of the year in my view. I see him as a faster John Madden to be honest, and guys like that (although on the stat sheet don't look like much) become irreplaceable.

As you guys know with Ortmeyer, he may not put up a ton of points but the intangibles he brings (similar to Cooke and Kesler) are very important for the team and setting the tempo early in games.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi View Post
Cooke had a few freak injuries last year, but before that was 9th place in Selke voting as a 24 year old...
If that is the best reason you can come up with for why Cooke is so good, I'm sorry, but you really just haven't convinced me. Personally, I don't see why the Rangers would make this trade. Briere's contract is ridiculous, and we have many Kesler type prospects in our system. No thanks.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Choice

No way the Sabres are giving up Briere for that

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Captain11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41 View Post
Rangers get Briere and Ryan Kesler
Sabres get Rozsival, Hossa and Matt Cooke
Canucks get Rachunek, Adam Mair and Nigel Dawes

Rangers get a younge centre and a skilled 2ed line that is small but can score. Sabres cut salary in the sense where they get 3 players making total about 5.5 rather than one player making that. Nucks get a dman that can play today in the NHL, a gritty 4th liner that can replace Ruutu and a young prospect. And this opens up a spot for Staal, Liffiton, Lampman or Pock to make team out of camp.
is there a quota your trying to fulfill? if so can you just post them all now.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:08 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
If that is the best reason you can come up with for why Cooke is so good, I'm sorry, but you really just haven't convinced me. Personally, I don't see why the Rangers would make this trade. Briere's contract is ridiculous, and we have many Kesler type prospects in our system. No thanks.
not trying to convince you.. Cooke is the type of player you have to watch to appreciate all he brings to a team, and I am not suprised or upset that he is being extremely under-vauled here.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

We have plenty of defensemen. I don't know how one could say we need "NHL defenseman"

Roszival, highly paid, has ZERO place on the Sabres blueline, too IMO

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi View Post
not trying to convince you.. Cooke is the type of player you have to watch to appreciate all he brings to a team, and I am not suprised or upset that he is being extremely under-vauled here.
Just to let you know, this proposal doesn't have Cooke coming to the Rangers, so I don't really see how he is being undervalued. I've watched the guy play, and he is definitely one of those players that is just worth more to his team than he is in a trade.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
McDonagh27

Pass on Briere... down the road, either Immo or Dubi will be just as good and will probably cost a lot less... Shanahan is making 4 million, and he scored 40 goals last season! For those you want to justify his 5 million dollar salary, that's just ludiciris.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:31 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Briere is a superstar with superstar numbers they aren't going to move him for a B package of players. I like Rozsival and i think he fits the Rangers but Buffalo isn't taking him and hossa in a package for Briere. Not to mention Rozsival and Hossa can both jet to Europe if they don't like what Buffalo is going to offer.
I have to disagree with "superstar with superstar numbers." He's one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL, but in no way is he a "superstar." He's never put up more than 60 points in a season, he's had one point per game season (this past season), and he's scored only 30 goals once. That's not superstar numbers. I know people will say, he's played in a defense first system, which is not entirely true. Briere isn't a defensive-minded player. He fits in with the system because he's fast.

5 million is way too much for him.

Last edited by CM Lundqvist: 07-23-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: More
CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
Pass on Briere... down the road, either Immo or Dubi will be just as good and will probably cost a lot less... Shanahan is making 4 million, and he scored 40 goals last season! For those you want to justify his 5 million dollar salary, that's just ludiciris.
EXCELLENT point.

A guy who scored 40 goals and was A GAME from being a point-per-game player last season only got 4 million.

There is NO WAY Briere should have gotten 5 million.

Good point about Dubinsky as well, I believe he can be a 20-30 goal 60 point guy one day.

Old
07-23-2006, 10:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Rangers get Briere and Ryan Kesler
Sabres get Rozsival, Hossa and Matt Cooke
Canucks get Rachunek, Adam Mair and Nigel Dawes
The problem with this (and just about every one of your) proposed trades is that they are 3 or 4 for 2. Other than the Havlat/Bell deal, how many 6 or 8 player trades are made nowadays? Start thinking 1-1 or 2-1 and you get a whole lot closer to reality.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I have to disagree with "superstar with superstar numbers." He's one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL, but in no way is he a "superstar." He's never put up more than 60 points in a season, he's had one point per game season (this past season), and he's scored only 30 goals once. That's not superstar numbers. I know people will say, he's played in a defense first system, which is not entirely true. Briere isn't a defensive-minded player. He fits in with the system because he's fast.

5 million is way too much for him.

He scored 65 points in 03-04.

He also scored 19 points in 18 playoff games...2nd line centers don't get a PPG in the regular season and playoffs, and if they do,I'm curious to see what production a 1st line center puts up.

TVanek26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

who starts these stupid threads?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 12:17 AM
BigE

Rangers getting Briere and Kesler? Wow, I'd take it!

...too bad no one else would.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:39 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If I'm Buffalo I say "no tank you!" and when the opposing GM attempts to correct my verbal typo I hang up!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 09:21 AM
shoothepuck

This is silly.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Sabres and Nucks both need an NHL dman, and Sabres cut salary.
The Sabres are set on D - Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Numminen, Campbell, Kalinin.

If you are going to argue that Briere isn't a star because he's never scored more than 65 pts. you haven't watched enough of him. He scored 25 goals in just 48 games just year. If he played the entire season he would have had 43-56-99.

No way a Cup contender trades away Briere for parts they don't need. If the Sabres are going to cut salary, Biron, Afinogenov, and/or Dumont are the ones who will go, not Briere.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Another useless Jorts thread, what a shock.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Another useless Jorts thread, what a shock.
i'm just in shock that he proposed a deal with us getting back good players...i'm surprised he doesn't have us getting back chris taylor and josh green instead of briere

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48 View Post
He scored 65 points in 03-04.

He also scored 19 points in 18 playoff games...2nd line centers don't get a PPG in the regular season and playoffs, and if they do,I'm curious to see what production a 1st line center puts up.
That 65 point season wasn't a point per game season. His best year before this past season was his rookie year. He hasn't scored over 70 points. A first line center should AT LEAST be scoring that.

Briere is a 2nd line center on a championship team. Buffalo was so deep that they were able to put him on the 1st and not worry about it.

Old
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Bring Back Krajicek*

no thanks from a vancouver standpoint, for the reasons jtuzzi stated.

Bring Back Krajicek* is offline   Reply With Quote