HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JT Miller

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

vCash: 500
I like him. If people are skeptical of his upside, I get that. I don't know that he'll ever develop much of an offensive game. But that's okay. If people are skeptical with whether he belongs, I'll disagree vehemently. He belongs. At worse he's a solid Bottom 6 guy, and at his worse, that's exactly what he's been.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:52 AM
The Mouth

He's had a typical rookie campaign up and down, but when he is up he looks like he belongs, I never got that feeling this season with Kreider and Miller is a bit younger too. I like that he isnt afraid to take shots and has a bit of a swagger about him. I said when he was called up, he wasnt ready for the NHL but I was wrong. If he can cut out the turnovers he surely looks like he can help us on the third line this year. I think the Dubi comparison is a pretty good one.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
He's had a typical rookie campaign up and down, but when he is up he looks like he belongs, I never got that feeling this season with Kreider and Miller is a bit younger too. I like that he isnt afraid to take shots and has a bit of a swagger about him. I said when he was called up, he wasnt ready for the NHL but I was wrong. If he can cut out the turnovers he surely looks like he can help us on the third line this year. I think the Dubi comparison is a pretty good one.
Dubi done right. No Renney influence here, JT is a Torts and Gorts product.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
dethomas07

The kid has a well earned spot on this team.. Watch him closely the guy has a great 2 way game and pose with the puck.. Def reminds me a lot like Dubi and if we get that out of him this pick will be a home run.. Very impressed and love his game..

Old
03-05-2013, 08:08 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

Like the kid a lot. Think he will do very well in the Rangers system. Dont think he will be playing in the NHL by the end of this season but next season will his time to shine. He is going to get enough games in this year to know what he needs to work on and tighten up. He will get a training camp with the team next year. I expect him to do well for us next season. I also expect Kreider to do the same. I do think JT will have more initial success as a Ranger than Kreider.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Harpua

he looks confident, has from the get go, you can't teach that

Old
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Kwayry

Great game by JT, he has so much poise with the puck at this age, it is amazing. What this game showed me is JT will be the 3C sooner rather than later.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's looked better the last two games.

Gotta string together more than two to belong, though. Here's hoping he keeps this level of play up.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Lundsanity30

I have no problem if he's our future 3c.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Young kid... Plenty of time/room to grow... He's got some guts to his game, which I like....

Old
03-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Kwayry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I have no problem if he's our future 3c.
I am just ticking off our needs.
3C - check

And looking further down the line, Stepan - Miller - StCroix/Lindberg down the middle is not a pipedream anymore.
But like somebody else said, he needs to show more consistency. But I am hopeful after this game.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

OT: what number C was Richie when he won the cup with the Lightning?

Last edited by JohnC: 03-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
I thought he played his best game since coming up last night.

He was finding Gaborik all night long, if Gabby could have finished on his chances, Miller would have had an assist or 3. I think the Rangers should keep those two on a line together. They seem to gel fairly well.

03-06-2013, 08:46 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I thought he played his best game since coming up last night.

He was finding Gaborik all night long, if Gabby could have finished on his chances, Miller would have had an assist or 3. I think the Rangers should keep those two on a line together. They seem to gel fairly well.
Agreed. Miller likes to hold and carry the puck, whereas Gabby is most useful on lines where he isn't called upon to do that as much. It definitely works in theory, and it looked good in action last night.

RANGERS =
Old
03-06-2013, 08:59 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
OT: what number C was Richie when he won the cup with the Lightning?
No forward played more than him in the SC series vs CGY. Probably a toss-up between him and LC if you look at who was 1/2C that year.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Levitate

He's good with the puck, if he improved his finishing ability he could be a 2nd liner. I like that he's getting chances, especially compared to someone like Boyle who looked better for a few games and is now back to looking terrible with the puck at all times.

Looks like a real good pick at this point as he has helped solidify the middle of the lineup

Old
03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
You guys saying send him down must not be watching the same guy that I am...He hasn't been scoring but like I said in the original thread about him getting called up, he won't be a scoring guy at this level. He doesn't really have that sort of skillset to score 60-70 points. I think he's a really good long term 3rd liner winger, like Dubinsky was but probably more talented. Some nights, Miller looks like the best Ranger forward for long stretches of time. Some nights he makes some rookie mistakes, like every other rookie in the league.

Also not for nothing but who else is there to replace him if you send him to the minors? What forward would you rather have on the 3rd line? I think the whole "send him to the minors, let him develop forever" mindset is garbage. He's played AHL level hockey, he's won gold at the World Juniors. He's a young kid who will be a good player in the league for a long time, let's let him develop here since he isn't HURTING the team.
Agree with this.

In addition Miller has his head on straight. He's a mentally tough kid that has not lost his confidence when things have not gone well. He comes back and makes poised, confident plays with the puck. That's a very good sign that he's in the right place.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Still too early to know what this kid will be.

But I like what I see so far. Wish he wasn't being rushed onto the team like this, but if he can handle it and gets decent icetime I'm okay with it.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

But I like what I see so far. Wish he wasn't being rushed onto the team like this, but if he can handle it and gets decent icetime I'm okay with it.
Why? Any rookie is going to have ups and downs but he's been getting good ice time and has looked pretty damn good thus far. Each game he seems to be a little better and smarter.

He's also throwing his weight around and has shown he belongs here. Are you basing this strictly on age?

If someone belongs in the NHL, I don't care about there age. Joe Thornton once said that his rookie year on Boston, where he barely got ANY ice time a game (i think he played like 5 mins most nights) was a better experience and made him grow much more as a player than a season in the AHL would have.

It's a completely different level of learning being with professionals in the NHL versus the AHL. Much rather have him here if he can play at the level he has been.

He's also got a lot of hockey sense and isn't an idiot out there. If he can improve his faceoffs, he'll be a very good 3C for us at the very least.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:

I don't think he's been rushed at all. The team was stale, wanted to add a little youth, so they called Miller up, and he earned his spot. If he looked like he didn't belong, I have no doubt they would have sent him down. He's played well, though, and even when he was making mistakes, they weren't the kind of mistakes Kreider was making - Miller was trying to make something happen out there, and he generally recovered well after a bad turnover or ill-advised pass. He hasn't really been turning over the puck lately, he's continuously improving as the season goes along.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Agreed. I think he's made enough gaffs that if we weren't so thin on depth, he would have been sent back to Hartford. The fact that he's handling the situation so well mentally and emotionally speaks well to the kids character. Looking forward to what he can do as he gets older.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Thought he had a very good game last night and took his game to another level.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
The number one thing I like about him is that he isn't a chronic dump and chaser.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. I think he's made enough gaffs that if we weren't so thin on depth, he would have been sent back to Hartford. The fact that he's handling the situation so well mentally and emotionally speaks well to the kids character. Looking forward to what he can do as he gets older.
Exactly. He's a rookie who s gonna have his ups and downs. I wonder how patient the coaches and the fans in this thread will be then

I don't think his mistakes have been so bad, good outweighs the bad at this point and he's been getting some good icetime, probably the thing that matters most.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts had him in some spots last night. Taking defensive zone draws in the 3rd. Miller's biggest issue was the long shifts. He would get himself into trouble. Miller can play both wing and center. He played wing growing up. The US hockey program moved him to the middle. Wing is easier to play for a young kid because of the defensive responsibilities. He looked fine in his own end last night. No glaring mistakes. Miller should be a center long-term. Keep him on the wing when Richards comes back. Its so hard to find centers. Centers and Defensemen.

Closed Thread