HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I can't believe (Timonen)

Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
we gave Kimmo an extension, and for 6 friggin million dollars!! I know we could have spent that money better. he looks weak and confused out there more and more, I just can't watch it anymore.
Not a big deal. It's money that can be earmarked for extensions to Giroux, Schenn and Couturier. Homer can't spend that now for a multi-year deal the Shelley and Lilja's of the world.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The team has a lot of problems that will get exposed in the playoffs. They wont have the "flip the switch" bull that people said a few years ago. Say the team doesnt change how they are playing, go .500 the rest of the way while playing ****** hockey and somehow make the playoffs, do you have confidence they will do "damage"?

This is based off of you hoping that they "realize" how to play after 42 games and decide to play better in playoffs. In the end though, if we do miss playoffs and grab a decent pick, we can restock alittle and maybe make a run in a year or so. Our defense is average at best while our goaltending is really inconsistent. Our offense is still young and has potential but when you are playing guys like Talbot in the top 9, and have rookies with slumps (Couturier) its hard to get consistent offense.

One good thing coming out of all of this is Jake Voracek. He is seriously playing on another level, almost Giroux like from last season. If and this is a big IF, this is the REAL Voracek, we might have a really good player on our hands.
As I stated before, I dont think this team can win a cup, but I do think they're a playoff team. After you get into the dance, who knows what happens.....

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
As I stated before, I dont think this team can win a cup, but I do think they're a playoff team. After you get into the dance, who knows what happens.....
Well right now we are competing against other teams that look like playoff teams also.

1. Montreal
2. Pittsburgh
3. Carolina
4. Boston
5. Toronto
6. Ottawa
7. New Jersey
8. New York Rangers

What teams do you think we are better than? Carolina doesnt count since they are in a different division. Maybe you can make a case of Toronto and Ottawa but both those teams are playing some great and consistent hockey.

I think we are better then the Jets and Islanders, but wouldnt be surprised of the Lightening are right next to us come the end of the season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?? 55 points? That equates to over 100 points in a regular 82 game season.

Ive seen this multiple times on this board, that we have to go 16-8 just to make it. No..we really only have to hvae a winning record in the next 24 games. That would guarantee us around 47 points.

Lets look at the 1994-95 season when teams played only 48 games

In the east it took 47 points to make the playoffs, in the west, it took 42.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/199495_NHL_season
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

We have 23 now, if we win 12 more games, thats 47 points, thats a playoff spot, end of story.
In 1994-95, every game was only worth 2 points. Now thanks to the overtime loss rule, some games are worth 3 points. So basically there is more points to go around so it will take more points to get into the playoffs.

Last year, the total number of points combined for all teams was 2760 in 1230 games, so on average each game was worth 2.24 points.

This year, there has been 750 points in 333 games for an average of 2.25 points per game.

So basically points are inflated about 1.125X what they were in the 94-95 season (2.25 points per game/2 points per game).

So if it took 47 points to get in in 94-95, it should take roughly 47 X 1.125 = 52.875, so 53 points to get in.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
In 1994-95, every game was only worth 2 points. Now thanks to the overtime loss rule, some games are worth 3 points. So basically there is more points to go around so it will take more points to get into the playoffs.

Last year, the total number of points combined for all teams was 2760 in 1230 games, so on average each game was worth 2.24 points.

This year, there has been 750 points in 333 games for an average of 2.25 points per game.

So basically points are inflated about 1.125X what they were in the 94-95 season (2.25 points per game/2 points per game).

So if it took 47 points to get in in 94-95, it should take roughly 47 X 1.125 = 52.875, so 53 points to get in.
That's a great analysis. I couldnt remember where the 55/53 came from but that was it.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post

Thats if you take the east. In the west, teams got in at 42, so in reality, take the average and knock the 53 down to around 50 or so.

Either way, my point initially was that in order to make the playoffs, this team would only have to play slightly above 500 hockey, not go 18-6 or whatever

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Thats if you take the east. In the west, teams got in at 42, so in reality, take the average and knock the 53 down to around 50 or so.

Either way, my point initially was that in order to make the playoffs, this team would only have to play slightly above 500 hockey, not go 18-6 or whatever
That's what, 15-9? This is a team that cant even play .500 hockey half the season in. And this is just to slide into playoffs and hoping the teams above us dont play more consistent then we are.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I only got to catch bits and pieces of yesterday's game on my phone as I was at work (game center app) and I was wondering why kimmo played about as much as Gus in such a big game (both over 22 min). Was he that bad or was Gus playing well? I know Grossmann was injured so some players were relied on a little more then usual but kimmo really wasn't.
Probably because grossmann got hurt and they wanted to play gus more than gervais to replace his minutes

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
MsWoof

He had them right where he wanted them for next season and I don't blame him one bit for asking for $6 million. He lost money, just as all the other players did, because of the lockout and it's likely his last year so he got what he deserved. We don't have anyone else close to him and he's a workhorse. I know he isn't playing the way we're used to see him playing but that's what happens when you get older.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?? 55 points? That equates to over 100 points in a regular 82 game season.
55 points in 48 games would be the equivalent of 94 points in an 82 game season.

Quote:
Ive seen this multiple times on this board, that we have to go 16-8 just to make it. No..we really only have to hvae a winning record in the next 24 games. That would guarantee us around 47 points.
A winning record over the next 24 games would guarentee us 48 points (or 49 if you dont count 12-11-1 as a winning record).

The reason people keep saying 16-8 is because that would put us at a rate of just under 94 points in a full season which is about what it's taken over the last few years to get into the playoffs.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/199495_NHL_season
That was a long time ago. Tons of factors go into that and we dont need to get into why it doesnt apply to 2013, because it just doesnt.

Quote:
We have 23 now, if we win 12 more games, thats 47 points, thats a playoff spot, end of story.
That equates to about 80 points in an 82 game season which would have put us at 13th and 12th the last 2 seasons. No 47 points would not get us in.

I think the best way to look at it would be looking at the standings now, for this year. Currently the Devils have the lowest points earned per game of any playoff team in the Eastwith 25 points in 23 games. That puts them on a pace of 52 points for the season. We would have to beat that pace to beat them for the last spot so I think the safest bet would be 53 points get you a playoff spot.

The Flyers have 23 points in 24 games so they would need 30 in the last 24 games. That means something like 15-9 would get them in.

Obviously the pace and trends change as the season goes but I think it's safe to say 47 points gets them nowhere near a playoff spot.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Kimmo has looked slow this year, as much as i like him & call him "Our Lidstrom"

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

There's no reason to believe the Flyers will be a playoff team this year.

If a team can't win three games in a row, they aren't going to fare well in the playoffs. And if they are in the playoffs, they should count their blessings, especially in a year where ALL your losses give points to conference rivals.

It's not a slow start anymore. Now, we are a mediocre team. The forward depth we touted for years is no more. Our defense is declining quickly, and Bryz is Bryz. And the pipeline is quite empty.

I didn't disagree with the Timonen signing, but the timing of the move made no sense at all. I wouldn't want to sell off Timonen anyway, but now that he has a contract it will be harder to do so.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:

There was only 12 teams in the West. You had to be 8th from 12 to get in, not 8th from 15. Huge difference.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
There's no reason to believe the Flyers will be a playoff team this year.
You mean other than rooting for your .500 team like a hopeful fan rather than a pragmatic oncologist?

Quote:
they should count their blessings, especially in a year where ALL your losses give points to conference rivals.
I don't know why people keep bringing this up. Since it applies to every team, that's a complete wash. There's just as much a chance that those rivals might have fared worse against western teams than better.
Quote:
The forward depth we touted for years is no more.
Really? With Jake and Brayden breaking out. Simmonds is great. G will probably always be G for the most part (which is enough). Hartnell doesn't seem to have lost a step, Briere's regular season is always like this, and Read was our leading goal scorer before getting hurt. What else do you want, Couturier to be an offensive beast? Because he's not bad. If your argument is based on missing one good third line winger, that's not much of an argument.

Quote:
Our defense is declining quickly
Debatable. Kimmo's looked old for years now. Meszaros' proneness to injury is worrisome. But Coburn's not declining, and Schenn only seems to get better. Enough to balance that out. Grossmann's injury is unfortunate, but again, that seems to be what's left after looking over each component, and doesn't justify "declining quickly".

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
You mean other than rooting for your .500 team like a hopeful fan rather than a pragmatic oncologist?
Last time I checked we were a .500 for.... count it.... 3 days of the season. I like to stand behind a team that competes, not one that disappoints. I root for the Flyers, but if they can't string together more than two wins at time, I am going to call a spade a spade.

Quote:
I don't know why people keep bringing this up. Since it applies to every team, that's a complete wash. There's just as much a chance that those rivals might have fared worse against western teams than better.
It is not a wash. Some teams win more games then others.

Quote:
Really? With Jake and Brayden breaking out. Simmonds is great. G will probably always be G for the most part (which is enough). Hartnell doesn't seem to have lost a step, Briere's regular season is always like this, and Read was our leading goal scorer before getting hurt. What else do you want, Couturier to be an offensive beast? Because he's not bad. If your argument is based on missing one good third line winger, that's not much of an argument.
I like our forwards, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch. I love how Voracek has been playing, but don't we know better to judge a player on a greater sample size than 15 games? Aside from Giroux, and perhaps Hartnell and Simmonds, our forwards are highly streaky.

We used to be able to roll four lines. We can't do that anymore. Partly because Fedotenko, Talbot, Knuble, and co. are black holes, but also partly because many of our forwards are not well rounded players.

Quote:
Debatable. Kimmo's looked old for years now. Meszaros' proneness to injury is worrisome. But Coburn's not declining, and Schenn only seems to get better. Enough to balance that out. Grossmann's injury is unfortunate, but again, that seems to be what's left after looking over each component, and doesn't justify "declining quickly".
Kimmo's looked old for years, and certainly slow, but I've never seen him play as bad as he has at times this season. He's usually reliable, but he obviously can't be used in all situations and be expected to be a #1 shutdown D. Not to mention that the season is only going to get harder for him.

Coburn's game has receded greatly. He's not a guy who's been known for his brainy play, but he's been making gaffes more than I've ever seen him. And my god, he's a penalty taking machine. He's going to be need to be relied on and he's coming up short in that department.

Can't comment on Meszaros because he's barely played in the last calendar year, but I can't imagine him regaining form 100%.

I love Grossmann, but his durability is a concern. I like how Schenn has been playing as well, but time will tell if he is going to be the defensemen we hope he can be.

Overall: Our defense is not good on special team situations, and its transition game is highly suspect. As the season wears on, if these problems don't fix themselves, that is easy prey for competing teams who know how to attack team's weaknesses. Bryz has been able to bail our defense out many times this season, but to what consistency will that be the case? I have to believe that as a whole, yes, our troop on the blueline is going to experience a decline in quality from this point on 'til the end of the season, and perhaps even more from that point on. This is of course, barring any apocalyptic moves Homer might make at the deadline/draft, which is always a possibility.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_NHL_season

55 in 48 doesn't equate to over 100 in 82, so I don't know 'what the hell you're talking about'

1.NY Rangers 67 31-12-5
2.Boston 66 32-14-2
3.Washington 55 26-19-3
4.Philadelphia 63 29-14-5
5.Pittsburgh 58 27-17-4
6.Ottawa 58 26-16-6
7.New Jersey 55 26-19-3
8.Florida 55 22-15-11
9.Toronto 53 24-19-5
10.Winnipeg 50 22-20-6
11.Tampa Bay 46 21-23-4
12.NY Islanders 45 19-22-7
13.Montreal 45 18-21-9
14.Buffalo 43 19-24-5
15.Carolina 40 16-24-8

That is the standings after 48 games played last year, the 8th seed had 55 points. And I see someone else pretty much said everything I did here, so before you go on putting someone else's post down and insulting them, maybe you should do a little research.

Last edited by Philadelphia Ducks: 03-06-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Yeah, 47 points in 48 games won't be enough. 80-82 points in 82 games last year was good for 12th or 13th in the Eastern Conference last year. 3 point games changes the equation.

03-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
They needed a one year signing to fill in the D next year with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Read, and Meszaros all coming off the books after next season.

Who would you have signed to play D next year because if you don't sign someone? This is who you would be playing every night in a best case scenario with no injuries.

Coburn - Schenn
Grossmann - Meszaros(can't stay healthy)
Gustafsson - Gervais

If you're going to start a thread questioning a signing, don't respond saying you don't know who's available or that you dont know who you would sign instead. There really isnt anyone available next season and they knew they could sign him for one season which they arent going to have cap problems anyway.

I'm hoping they worked out a verbal deal and told him they would give him $6m next season if he would agree to sign a deal for the year after at $2m or so if they decide to keep him to keep the cap hit really low that season. That would give them a cheap 2nd pairing option in a season where they need to resign a lot of young players and only have Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann signed on D.
First off, I didn't respond like that anywhere..what are you reading? Secondly, I'll post what I want to post but by all means you do have 37 posts so you must have started these forums.The extension whether you want to admit it or not was stupid and uncalled for, as well as hoping for a handshake deal for 2 mil for 1 more year because he's only getting slower and weaker but let's add more time ..lol.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
This is true, but I fail to believe Holmgren couldnt have gotten him signed at a lower cap hit

Holmgren: "Kimmo, we would like to extend you for another season. How much would it take to get it done?"
Timonen: "I would be fine with $5million"
Holmgren: "We'll give you $6million"
Timonen: "But I said...."
Holmgren: "$6million works for us"
He could have if he waited. Or he could be SOL. He paid the money to play it safe.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
I cant believe how negative this board is right now.

I mean, yeah we've sucked for the majority of this year, but I dont understand why people want to tank and just aim for a high draft pick. Lets be realistic, this IS a playoff caliber team, they're just not playing like (with the exception of a few games). While we are half way through the season, there is still time to turn this thing around. Its not like we're in last place, we're literally a point out of the playoffs.

I think we just have to be realistic with ourselves, this team, most likely will not win the division, and will not get a high seed going into the playoffs, but this team should certainly at least MAKE the playoffs.
Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you............This place can be down right depressing at times. I try and stay positive and focus on the BIG picture without getting too high after wins and too down after losses.Last nights game against the Rangers was just a tough loss. I thought we played pretty well overall and just got beat by a few timely plays by the Rangers.....Thats hockey. Losing Grossman was another tough hit to take, having Read and Harry Z out, Mez still banged up etc are things that make it a tough hill to climb but i am staying positive for the long haul as well without getting on the Fire Lavy, get rid of this player, that player etc etc...
.Part of being a fan is supporting the team through thick and thin.These players are proud athletes who HATE losing or hate going in slumps more than anyone in my view.Each game different players excel and some have tough games.When our club is clicking we can hold our own against anyone. But it is tough to do consistently when the line up has to change due to untimely injuries, suspensions, etc.......Its an already tough gig that is MAGNIFIED by the short season deal.........Its all about who is hot and healthy at the end, and i am staying hopeful for that situation to come our way.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, 47 points in 48 games won't be enough. 80-82 points in 82 games last year was good for 12th or 13th in the Eastern Conference last year. 3 point games changes the equation.
That and the aforementioned total number of teams are easily the big two differences. It's not really complicated. 3 pt games & only (slightly over) half the league gets in.

I think 52 or 53 will be the cutoff. Give or take one point maybe. Having more teams smooths the curve out even more, even if it does only amount to tenths of a point in the end.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

53 points or 30 more points maybe a good number.
So you're looking at say 14-8-2. i think that 20 regulation losses maybe the cutoff. 25-20-3 is a good target. Anything less then that and you are likely on the outside looking in IMO

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

I just love Timonen's quote tonight:

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/flye...away-loss-pens

Quote:
“That’s the mental issue to me. Somebody might [have] a different opinion. You have to be mentally prepared to go in there and do you job, [even] if it’s 4-1 or 1-4.

“Never change your game. That seems to be an issue for us, either way with the score.”
Quote:
Eighteen seconds into the third period, Timonen tried to contain a puck at center ice and instead it came back the other way with Chris Kunitz scoring his second goal of the night, breaking the 4-4 tie.

“I tried to keep in,” Timonen said. “[Sidney] Crosby fell down and there’s a loose puck. I try to get it by the guy and he was close to me. That’s my mistake. I should have played it safe.
Really, like, don't get caught on a bad, wreckless pinch 20 seconds into the most important period of the year with the game tied 4-4?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I just love Timonen's quote tonight:

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/flye...away-loss-pens

Really, like, don't get caught on a bad, wreckless pinch 20 seconds into the most important period of the year with the game tied 4-4?
I wonder what Coburn and Gervias thought about there ****tacular night.
Braydon Coburn is a overrated pile of crap. the sooner he is traded the better.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:23 AM
dookie88

Great part about all of this is that we won't even get a draft pick or something for him at the TDL because nobody is going to take on that contract for next season.
So much fail.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote