HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riley Nash Appreciation Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Riley Nash Appreciation Thread (Part 1)

The next-to-last round of cuts, and which forward remains?

Is it 5'6" (on skates) bust Zach Boychuk?

Is it overrated perennial 30 point AHL "scorer" Drayson Bowman?

Is it Jerome "On waivers again" Samson?

No, it's the future of the franchise, Riley "I Am ****ing Awesome" Nash.

Many doubted me when I predicted Nash would rise to the top this year, but Nash has exceeded even my expectations by doing it before the season has even begun. By the first day of training camp, it was clear that it was Nash who had done the work in the summer, unlike Zach Boychuk who spent all summer eating Cheetos and watching Oprah. Once only possessing tantalizing, generational skill, Nash has now brought the work ethic and conditioning along with it to make his talents impossible to deny.

Sure, Jerome Samson and Zach Boychuk will score their point-a-game in the AHL (with Bowman scoring his customary .5PPG). But they'll be doing that for the next ten years, whereas Riley Nash will become Brandon Sutter 2.5, only with better vision and less unsightly facial hair.

Behold, the future. Riley Nash.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
If Riley becomes the new Anton, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about it...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
The only Nash I care about in the slightest plays in Columbus. Make a topic when he gets traded over here. Or when this Nash becomes anywhere near that Nash.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Stick him on a line with LaRose because when you are on a line with Chad, it is a Good Thing®.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Boom Boom Anton

As soon as my 1 year is up, I'm afraid I have no choice but to change my username to Boom Boom Nash. (either that or Boom Boom samsonboychukbowmansuck)

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
If Riley becomes the new Anton, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about it...
Me neither. At least Babchuk was actually a good hockey player for a few shifts on the PP when we were down by 6 goals already. Nash has been a bust ever since he chose not to sign with the Oilers. Obviously, his <40 points in the AHL cement his status as a bust. Just ask any impartial Oiler fan.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

This feels forced. Riley Nash may very well be a big part of the future, but he ain't got nothing on the Anton and never will.

We should really be appreciating the man, the myth, the legend... Chad "Chad" LaRose.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:52 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The only way to settle this debate (Anton vs Nash vs LaRose) is with a poll. That's sure to give us a final answer once and for all.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:29 AM
TheBigKahuna

Easy. Neither.

This will be short lived.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:14 PM
MD
#woofwoof

getting a little cocky with the part 1 in the tittle

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 AM
totalkev

Riley Nash Appreciation Thread

I know I'm going to take heat for this, but I focused a lot on Riley Nash while at the game on Tuesday night. And at least two or three times, the way he went about his business reminded me of ... Brandon Sutter.

He's very solid along the boards and almost always comes out with the puck, he's very good with his reach and stickwork, and always aware of the entire situation on the ice, etc. He's a better playmaker offensively, but not as good a shooter, and he's not quite as big. But what they bring to the table is very similar.

Obviously, I'm not saying they are clones and we won't miss Sutter. But I am feeling a lot better about our third line with the way Nash is starting to come into his own.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I know I'm going to take heat for this, but I focused a lot on Riley Nash while at the game on Tuesday night. And at least two or three times, the way he went about his business reminded me of ... Brandon Sutter.

He's very solid along the boards and almost always comes out with the puck, he's very good with his reach and stickwork, and always aware of the entire situation on the ice, etc. He's a better playmaker offensively, but not as good a shooter, and he's not quite as big. But what they bring to the table is very similar.

Obviously, I'm not saying they are clones and we won't miss Sutter. But I am feeling a lot better about our third line with the way Nash is starting to come into his own.
I always loved him and thought it was a steal of a guy for a 2nd.

The best part of this whole ordeal, is that two of my best friends (one I used to live with), are crazy Oiler fans and *HATE* him. The trolling possibilities are limitless if he keeps this play up

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Roboturner913

What I've been surprised with is his offensive instincts. That play the other night against Florida where he took it off the boards and whipped it to Jussi is just not something you see from a rookie very often. It's like those two have been playing together for a year instead of a week.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Extremely happy with Nash's play up till now. Honestly didn't expect a lot from him, but maybe that was ignorance talking. Kid made the transition to the big team seamlessly, an hasnt looked out of place one single time that i can think of at this point. And that is exciting. As the OP said, no he isnt a clone of Sutter, but if we could rely on him in that 3rdC spot and allow Jussi to stay on the wing where he is thriving, i have a feeling letting Brandon go for Jordan will soon be an afterthought. Keep it up, Riley.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
TheBigKahuna

Keeper!

I hear he hates Charlotte!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Mr America

Unfortunately, we'll likely run into the same situation Jordan was face with in Pittsburgh where third line centers here are stymied behind Eric and Jordan. If Nash continues to improve, and unless our third line is scoring and getting tons of ice time for third liners, how long is a rising younger player going to be content with playing third fiddle knowing there is no chance to step up to lead guitar?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Sens1Canes2

Rising star lol. Please temper the expectations a WEE bit. He's had two good games offensively.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Funny how this theory wasn't mentioned at all in the interim period

But I know it's gotta feel good to pull that thread out of the "I told you so" file.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
Unfortunately, we'll likely run into the same situation Jordan was face with in Pittsburgh where third line centers here are stymied behind Eric and Jordan. If Nash continues to improve, and unless our third line is scoring and getting tons of ice time for third liners, how long is a rising younger player going to be content with playing third fiddle knowing there is no chance to step up to lead guitar?
When he's a bass player in a garage band. Nash is currently playing in his upside role in the NHL.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Rising star lol. Please temper the expectations a WEE bit. He's had two good games offensively.
I don't think anybody is saying he is, or is going to be, a "star." But right now, he appears to be a solid #3C. I don't think anybody can dispute that since he took over that spot the third line got instantly much better.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I don't think anybody is saying he is, or is going to be, a "star." But right now, he appears to be a solid #3C. I don't think anybody can dispute that since he took over that spot the third line got instantly much better.
True, but part of that is getting Jussi back to wing where he is much more effective. That said, I do like what I've seen so far. He still needs to show that over a longer period of time before we can count on him being the 3C long term.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
You ain't the only one.

I don't know how fair the sutter comparison was. To be honest I think nash is a much better center than sutter was, but that's cuz I was never convinced sutter was a center. He always played like a winger who took draws. Nash is arguably the most positionally sound center we have, no wonder Francis liked him. His support of the d down low has been spot on, but where I've been most impressed is along the boards. He keeps the puck in situations you think he has no chance, he's hard to knock off, and he's always looking to make the smart play.

Overall he rarely turns the puck over. He's a lot like tlusty that way, when he's in nuetral ice or just over the line he doesn't make any chancey passes. Either finds a good target or gets it deep.

He's too good for the fourth line IMO, it'll be curious to see if jr likes him enough to not pickup deadline help now.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 03-06-2013 at 09:17 AM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
True, but part of that is getting Jussi back to wing where he is much more effective. That said, I do like what I've seen so far. He still needs to show that over a longer period of time before we can count on him being the 3C long term.
Spot on. Like everyone else, I think Nash is doing a great job right now. But let's pump the brakes a little with the Sutter comparisons and whatnot.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I ****ing appreciate Riley Nash. He is a future.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Datsyuk Prospect

vCash: 157
Great 3rd line C and another steal by JR landing a top prospect for a somewhat mediocre AHL'er Martin Marincin. Reminds me of the whole Tlusty for Philippe Paradis trade, thanks again Burke.

Datsyuk Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote