HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B.Richards to Toronto

Old
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Don't do the Rangers contract favors. They already lucked out with Gomez (not saying Richards is on that level...), but yea. Let them live with their ridiculous contracts.
Lol. Rangers don't have to live with his contract if they don't want to. Trading him would actually be worse for the Rangers since if he retires before his contract is up (likely), the Rangers would incur a significant cap penalty.

We still have 1 amnesty buyout left and can use it either this coming offseason or next. In the summer of 2014, Richards will have 6 years and 27 mil left on his contract. The buyout would be 18 mil, which might seem like a lot, but to the Rangers it really isn't.

If it wasn't for the cap penalties on back diving contracts, buying him out probably wouldn't be a consideration. But I don't see him playing out the last 3 years of his deal at 1 mil per year. So the Rangers are going to have to decide within the next year and a half what to do with him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Lol. Rangers don't have to live with his contract if they don't want to. Trading him would actually be worse for the Rangers since if he retires before his contract is up (likely), the Rangers would incur a significant cap penalty.

We still have 1 amnesty buyout left and can use it either this coming offseason or next. In the summer of 2014, Richards will have 6 years and 27 mil left on his contract. The buyout would be 18 mil, which might seem like a lot, but to the Rangers it really isn't.

If it wasn't for the cap penalties on back diving contracts, buying him out probably wouldn't be a consideration. But I don't see him playing out the last 3 years of his deal at 1 mil per year. So the Rangers are going to have to decide within the next year and a half what to do with him.
I agree with every Ranger fan that says buying him out is the way to go.

A little advice though....buy out Sather at the same time. The way he hands out horribad contracts, burning your 2 buyouts early will bite the Rangers in the ass quickly.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
daveleaf

Brad Richards is still a wonderful player. All these players that sign these huge contracts go through periods where people feel that they don't live up to them. Did he live up to it in the playoffs?

My suggestion. NYR have become soft. Get some meat back in the lineup and give guys like Richards move to room and not have to worry about guys like Kaletta. What has happened to Nash and Richards only shows the importance of team toughness. Loosing Prust hurt-now they have to pay for it to get it back.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Not the right guy. 32 years old doesn't fit with the core's age, need someone half a decade younger at least.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I'm betting he gets one more year with the Rangers before being bought out, regardless of how he performs. Just way too much risk with his contract in the future.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
New York Rangers

Overpaying via FA since 2000.

Sather just never learns
To be fair to Sather his UFA signings are generally terrible, but he does seem to fleece everyone he trades with.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Inverted

He didn't wanted to come to Toronto as a UFA, why would he want to now?

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree with every Ranger fan that says buying him out is the way to go.

A little advice though....buy out Sather at the same time. The way he hands out horribad contracts, burning your 2 buyouts early will bite the Rangers in the ass quickly.
they have to be used by the 2014-15 season. All teams that want to use them, have to be done by the summer of 2014

after that, IIRC, they are no longer in play.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
NYR should deal Richards. He is expensive and looks disinterested. Im sure TOR can get him for a fair price.
I think he would look great in the Blue and White but I would force the Rangers to take salary back.
You're wrong. And if you force the Rangers to take back salary, they sure as hell wouldn't do it.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
You're not getting it.

Trade Brad Richards and he retires in 3 years, the Rangers are the team with the massive dead-space cap hit for 4 years after.

Buy Richards out in the summer of 2014, there is no lingering cap impact.

Let me repeat that.

Buying Brad Richards out in the summer of 2014 would result in no cap hit going forward.

Let me know what part of this you do not understand.
I bet you're a lot of fun at dinner parties. Take it easy, buddy. Go outside, get some fresh air.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
I bet you're a lot of fun at dinner parties. Take it easy, buddy. Go outside, get some fresh air.

just got a bit frustrated.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

just got a bit frustrated.
Lol fair enough, assuming you won't bite my head off I'd like to ask you a question...

How much would the rangers have to pay Brad Richards if he were bought out in 2014? There'd be 27 million remaining on his contract at that point. Is it the full amount? Half?

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

If they buy out Richards the Rangers credibility when signing free agents will definitely take a hit.

A rich organization like them can afford to buy contracts out even if they are dumped in the minors.

Redden
Drury
Gomez
Richards

All of those contracts didn't work out. They were lucky Drury retired, and Gomez netted them MacDonag from a drunk GM, but Redden and Richards will be precedents and agents, players will both notice.

03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Rymistri

2/3's

roughly 18mil

Rymistri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
If they buy out Richards the Rangers credibility when signing free agents will definitely take a hit.

A rich organization like them can afford to buy contracts out even if they are dumped in the minors.

Redden
Drury
Gomez
Richards

All of those contracts didn't work out. They were lucky Drury retired, and Gomez netted them MacDonag from a drunk GM, but Redden and Richards will be precedents and agents, players will both notice.
That's what people said after Holik, then after Gomez & Drury, it's also what they've been saying since Redden. I don't think people get it, players like to play in New York and especially now that they're competative.

Richards chose to come here (and even turned down more money from calgary). Nash basically forced columbus to send him here. Any player the Rangers have openly pursued/wanted, for as long as i can remember, other than Brooks Orpik, has come here.

It's never going to change. Whether you like it or not, NY has an allure. Players like the big city, the big money, the big fanbase and the anonymity that it provides them in there everyday lives. The Rangers also are one of the highest spending franchises in the league in regards to stadium, training facilities, equipment, medical care, etc.

The ship sailed a long time ago with players knowing how bad uncle glen is at UFA signings. If Richards gets bought out, that money will go to another high-end player.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
That's what people said after Holik, then after Gomez & Drury, it's also what they've been saying since Redden. I don't think people get it, players like to play in New York and especially now that they're competative.

Richards chose to come here (and even turned down more money from calgary). Nash basically forced columbus to send him here. Any player the Rangers have openly pursued/wanted, for as long as i can remember, other than Brooks Orpik, has come here.

It's never going to change. Whether you like it or not, NY has an allure. Players like the big city, the big money, the big fanbase and the anonymity that it provides them in there everyday lives. The Rangers also are one of the highest spending franchises in the league in regards to stadium, training facilities, equipment, medical care, etc.

The ship sailed a long time ago with players knowing how bad uncle glen is at UFA signings. If Richards gets bought out, that money will go to another high-end player.
We will see.

I think a little responsibility will do you guys good when it comes to spending now. Cap is going down next year and some guys need to be signed long term.

No one knows how agents and players will react. When it came to Holik, Redden it wasn't looked as a norm associated with your franchise. After this, it will become one.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
New York Rangers

Overpaying via FA since 2000.

Sather just never learns
What you just did is like Mussolini calling out Hitler.

NYR were the #1 overpayer.
Toronto was #2.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Rangers aren't trading Richards PERIOD, because of the new CBA if he retired before his contract expires, WE are responsible for his cap hit. Rangers would buy out Richards AFTER next season or they will keep him because he's performing. Richards being traded simply won't happen, he will at least be a Ranger for a year and a half.
Exactly this^ and only this, the NMC clause notwithstanding.

Other things being equal as to cap, don't see Brad Richards holds it against us for being overly generous, and now he has to be moved so his savings can help if not single handedly enable us to extend McDonagh, etc.

Other things being equal, we could have considered trading him.
But the above reason is the killer why we must amnesty him, either as soon as possible to get roster flexibility, or try to get another year use out of him right before the amnesty buyout deadline passes.

Unless the league and the NHLPA can revise that proviso, Richards will not be traded.

It is one thing to say, for example, he walks out the last 3 years at $1. whatever mil actual dollars, we'll cover that in exchange for _________ (fill in the blank).

It's another thing to say we eat $6.6mil cap hit in any or all of those years!

As things stand now, no deal.

After the buyout, you can renegotiate your own deal.

I for one (among many others) would be happy to ship you Torts, if that provides inducement

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Redden
Drury
Gomez
Richards

Drury didn't retire. He was bought out. Burying Redden in the minors hasn't affected the Rangers ability to sign free agents. So why would buying out Richards do so? You think Richards will be upset? He earned 12 mil last year and 12 mil (prorated) this year. He'll earn 9 mil next year. If he gets bought out after that, he'll get another 18 mil. That's a total of about 46 mil over 3 years. Yeah, I'm sure free agents will look at that and want no part of it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
Brad had his chance to play for the Buds, but he turned them away over a pittiable amount of money. Brad and Glen must live with their tragic decision whatever the results!
isn't that how everything was signed last CBA..

I know hossa is ripping it up but that guy has another 6 years on the deal and hes already 33+

how about Nsh with Weber signing that mega deal

Bryz in Phil or Loungo in Van they signed redic contracts as well..

crosby whos a bad concussion away from his career being over

Kovy signing a 15yr 100m+ deal

or how about MN signing both 28yr to a 13yr 100m

meyers in buf gettting 12m this year and another 8yrs left on the deal and only has 4 points on the year..

both carter and richards in LAK with their 8+ yrs left

all these teams did it to compete and all these players were sought after by every team in the league.. so please tell me how Sather always does this.. maybe players arent ready to shine in the bright lights on NYC.. SO how are these deals justifiable and richards isn't? you think all those players are living up to their contracts??? I don't think so.. So watch what you say!!

just wait for Malkin, Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Perry and Getz to get their next contracts... Everything goes by market value pal..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
RomanianLeafs

no 10x...it was his decision to sign there and not for us, good for him but we`re not interested..

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
We will see.

I think a little responsibility will do you guys good when it comes to spending now. Cap is going down next year and some guys need to be signed long term.

No one knows how agents and players will react. When it came to Holik, Redden it wasn't looked as a norm associated with your franchise. After this, it will become one.
1) that's your opinion
2) you have no clear way of knowing if the cap is going down
3) rangers will fit under the cap just fine next year, it's the year after where thinks need to be worked out
4) it's already the norm. rangers have always chased big names and overpaid since sather has taken the helm.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Redden
Drury
Gomez
Richards

No it won't.

You would think that, but that's not reality.

The fact of the matter is that three of those 4 players got contracts that they were not worth. How is that a negative?

If anything, Players and Agents would look to keep the Rangers in the bidding on any and every UFA.

Saying the Rangers Rep will take a hit on Signing UFA's is like saying teh Flyers trading recently signed players will make it difficult for them to retain their players on long term contracts.

Neither is an accurate dipiction of reality.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
pld459666

Quote:
We will see.

Good luck with that.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
Lol fair enough, assuming you won't bite my head off I'd like to ask you a question...

How much would the rangers have to pay Brad Richards if he were bought out in 2014? There'd be 27 million remaining on his contract at that point. Is it the full amount? Half?
as Rymistri stated, approx. 18 million.

For James Dolan, a drop of water off a ducksass