HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 6 "Posters who should be GM"

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
How about not trading a guy, who while in a slump would be on par for 60+ pts in a season... Big fat no to trading Ebs, as he's only 22 and going to get better.

This board....

Accurate.

He still has like a 6 or 7 game point streak going too or something.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
A Zach Kassian type player would be ideal, Vancouver would never move him but is their similar players out there on different teams?
Yup - Nino Niederreiter.

Kassian: 6'3", 215. 22GP, 39 hits (1.77/gm)

Nino: 6'2", 210. Last year, 55GP, 129 hits (2.35/gm)

Plays RW or LW. Amongst league leaders in goal in the AHL this year. Would love to get this kid.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I honestly don't think Howson did that bad with Nash.

he shouldn't have leaked to the press he would be gone, but there were limited options and I think he got a decent return.

It's never equal value.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I honestly don't think Howson did that bad with Nash.

he shouldn't have leaked to the press he would be gone, but there were limited options and I think he got a decent return.

It's never equal value.
I'd suggest he got about as close to "equal value" as your ever going to get. I also think Howson was looking for proven talent coming back all along and...IMO...that was a very wise priority to have.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
The Rangers claim Hamrlik

I'm surprised we didn't put a claim on him.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Anisimov would be a dream score. The 'Jackets did well to get him as part of the Nash trade.

I have no idea what his contract status is but Im going to assume he is a valued part of their puzzle and one they don't talk about trading. At all.

One guy who CBJ might have in play though...Dubinsky. He can play centre. In fact I still say NYR shrunk his usefulness when they put him on the wing.
The only way Anisimov is dealt is if he wants too much money, RFA this year. It's a bit of a pipe dream, but someone to keep an eye on.

It's funny people bash the Nash trade, but give the situation I think Howson did quite well.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Ryane Clowe is just going to become the overpaid lug that is the whipping boy for losses. We don't want that.
Honest to god, I'm at the point where it's like 'beggers can't be choosers'.

Clowe might be slowing down and struggling with the Sharks, but he adds something to this team that we lack. He has a mentality that we don't have, he can dig pucks out of corners(shockingly, he actually goes into corners!), and drives to the net.

We're 3 points from being 15th in the west, if we're going to be looking for the 'perfect trade target', then we'll be waiting awhile.

If Clowe can make a positive contribution to the team(And I think he can), then look into acquiring him.

03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

One guy who CBJ might have in play though...Dubinsky. He can play centre. In fact I still say NYR shrunk his usefulness when they put him on the wing.
As a guy who's wanted Dubi for a couple of seasons now, trust me he'd be a perfect addition.

Unfortunately, Jarmo apparently loves him and rumor has it that CBJ will name him captain pretty soon.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
As a guy who's wanted Dubi for a couple of seasons now, trust me he'd be a perfect addition.

Unfortunately, Jarmo apparently loves him and rumor has it that CBJ will name him captain pretty soon.
Wow. Not surprising though.

Doobie was "that guy" in NYR for awhile, too. Then Callahan came in & kinda' stole Doobies thunder.

Im with you...he's a player I always liked and when he started to fall out of favour with Torts' it was looking like the stars might align.

This new GM for the 'Jackets seems to already have a really good feel for "who is what" in the league.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
true, but in the time that Tambo has been GM, every other GM has made more and more significant moves than he. He is THE least active GM in the NHL, having not made a single significant move in 4 years.

what is happening here is the players sense that:

Management doesn't care --> players don't care --> I don't care.

Go Blackhawks!!! I'm on the bandwagon. wake me up when (if) the Oil every look like an organization the gives a s--t.
I don't think being patient was wrong the past few years... but now is the time to make some moves to supplement your core. It's easy to do a good job at GM if you're not willing to move assets in trade and just want to stock up on assets, but there is clearly a desire for the team to be better now (otherwise they wouldn't have replaced coaches) so this is where a GM earns his money. They need to decide who would put this team over the top and go out and get them. No more "what can we get cheap and hope it works" identify players who you want and go get them if the price isn't too outrageous, and if it means giving up someone you don't want to give up you might have to seriously consider it because what they're doing currently isn't getting it done. The easy part of Tambos job is over, now it's time to see how he handles the hard part. TIme to take some risks.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the tools. Jack Johnson looks exactly like you would want a defenseman to look like. He can get around the ice well on his skates, he can hammer the puck, he's 6'2" and well north of 200lbs. He's an absolute specimin. Unfortunately, he's kind of just a collection of desireable parts.

Jack Johnson to me is like a 12 year old driving a Ferrari. The machine is capable of amazing things, it's just that the guy behind the wheel was never taught to drive.

EDIT - I know this post makes it seem like I think Johnson is completely useless. I don't, I just don't think he's more than a 2nd pairing defenseman (at least not on a team that's going anywhere).
Fair enough, but how many true top 4 defensemen do we have right now? He would add something to the mix IMO. That said I doubt that he's on the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Yup - Nino Niederreiter.

Plays RW or LW. Amongst league leaders in goal in the AHL this year. Would love to get this kid.
And Kassian can fight with the best of them and Nino can't so hardly the same player type IMO.

03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Fair enough, but how many true top 4 defensemen do we have right now? He would add something to the mix IMO. That said I doubt that he's on the block.

And Kassian can fight with the best of them and Nino can't so hardly the same player type IMO.
Don't think we need someone that can fight. And Kassian isn't exactly a fighter, he has fought Eager, Clowe, Roussel, Sestito, Staubitz and Matt Martin in his career. Not exactly a best of them list.

Clutterbuck is extremely physical and doesn't really fight.

All we need is a physical player that makes it tough on the other team.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Yup - Nino Niederreiter.

I'd love to get this guy as well. I wonder what it would take?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I'd love to get this kid as well. I wonder what it would take?
PRV, maybe more.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
joestevens29

Completely off the wall, but I think this team needs to be smarter with waivers. Not in picking guys up or sending guys down, but we really need to realize that you only get 2 full years of sending a guy down. We can't be playing 18 or 19 year old players for a full season and then decide the guy needs to play in the AHL.

Prv is in a situation where he probably can stay in the NHL, but in 15 games maybe he needs to be sent down but won't be able to because we burnt up 80 games his rookie year.

I say this because I hate to see Klefbom burn 80 games in his rookie year then realize he isn't good enough.

Also unless my math is out to lunch shouldn't PRV have like 22 games left? Isn't 160 the limit?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

So much for Hamerlik.

Should have claimed him and tried to trade Whitney + for Boyle.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:52 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
So much for Hamerlik.

Should have claimed him and tried to trade Whitney + for Boyle.
not sure what the love fest for boyle is all about, he is a less than medicore player, and just last night i saw hartnell cheapshot someone and boyle just stood beside the ref and didnt do what everyone here seems to think he does. we've gone through the coke machine JF Junk type players. we dont need him and he doesnt help us anywhere but the website where his height is listed.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Yup - Nino Niederreiter.

I couldn't agree more. He plays with a lot of heart and grit in a going to the tough areas sense. He can also be a game-breaker as he proved in the past with his national team. For a player from the opposite conference on a team we have a good trading relationship as well as publicly requesting a trade it sounds like a fit to me.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I couldn't agree more. He plays with a lot of heart and grit in a going to the tough areas sense. He can also be a game-breaker as he proved in the past with his national team. For a player from the opposite conference on a team we have a good trading relationship as well as publicly requesting a trade it sounds like a fit to me.
also with PRV playing really well it may set us up for a perfect trade, even better if we can keep PRV and send stone hands harti and a pick

Old
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Nino played in teh whl, he doesnt need the rink adjustment most euros use and he is only in the ahl because of his age. he should be on the isles imo. disgruntled players come on the cheap so lets make this happen.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
not sure what the love fest for boyle is all about, he is a less than medicore player, and just last night i saw hartnell cheapshot someone and boyle just stood beside the ref and didnt do what everyone here seems to think he does. we've gone through the coke machine JF Junk type players. we dont need him and he doesnt help us anywhere but the website where his height is listed.
I'd be happy with a pick, but the angry masses want warm bodies. Figured we could free up a spot and get rid of the Belanger triangle. Hopefully Horc back soon.

Eager - Boyle - Brown would be a decent line to smash people with.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Nino played in teh whl, he doesnt need the rink adjustment most euros use and he is only in the ahl because of his age. he should be on the isles imo. disgruntled players come on the cheap so lets make this happen.
He shouldn't have been in the NHL last year. He needed time to work on his game which he is getting now.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Agreed, this may be our best shot of getting a young power forward that isn't going break the bank. He is a bit of a project but he has the tools...I'd take a chance. PRV is a lot to give up considering his play lately.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The Rangers claim Hamrlik

I'm surprised we didn't put a claim on him.
really? I'd have claimed Hamrlik and perhaps put Potter on waivers. one done something.
I really believe Hamrlik would have instantly been at least the 3rd best Oiler defender.
seemed to be a simple thing to make the team better right now without giving up anything.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

The problem with Nino is the Isles completely ****ed up his development. Last year he was getting crap minutes when he shouldve been in the AHL developing.

He basically lost last years development and he's behind the curve. He wont come cheap, but if he does want out, he needs to spend the rest of the season in the AHL to refine his game.

Closed Thread