HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins/Islanders

Old
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Frankie4seven

vCash: 500
Bruins/Islanders

Islanders: Kyle Okposo

Bruins: Jordan Caron, 2013 2nd

Bs need a guy on the third line wing who can score and from what I have been reading Okposo could use a change of scenery. I know he isn't the typical physical Bruins type but hey, anything is better than Chris Bourque.

Frankie4seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Isles say hell no.

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
KrisBeKreame

No. No real interest in more picks and prospects for core players.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie4seven View Post

Bs need a guy on the third line wing who can score and from what I have been reading Okposo could use a change of scenery. I know he isn't the typical physical Bruins type but hey, anything is better than Chris Bourque.

Isles are 2-3 pts out of 8th, tied with several other teams.
Snow has recently said in Newsday, he's not making any panic trades, not moving his struggling youngsters.

Okposo's 24, not 34.He makes a cheap salary this season and next season.

Isles have a bunch of prospects. Zero interest in trading a 24 yr old core player, for picks or prospects.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
FrankAm89

I think a more likely trade between these two teams would involve Mark Streit. The Bruins grab a puck-moving defenseman to help out on their (always) struggling PP. The Isles shed some salary and can grab a pick for a guy they will likely lose in free agency.

FrankAm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:17 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Bruins fans don't stop talking about how Caron has no value. So this basically Okposo for a 2nd, which is an easy no.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:10 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAm89 View Post
I think a more likely trade between these two teams would involve Mark Streit. The Bruins grab a puck-moving defenseman to help out on their (always) struggling PP. The Isles shed some salary and can grab a pick for a guy they will likely lose in free agency.
Streit's rep and Snow are in extension talks.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:18 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
No need for the Isles to trade Okposo when his trade value due to play is at it's lowest. He's on a good cap hit and they're young enough they can let him grow without shipping him out early for another struggling player/fringe NHLer and a late 2nd.

Isles easily pass IMO.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:

Instead of the pick in this dee draft i still rather have a prosect like Svedberg, Kholochev or Spooner but i think the value is solid.
I rather keep Kyle and trade Bailey tho

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Your confusing Streit with Lubo. Mark is the team Captain and he stays.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Instead of the pick in this dee draft i still rather have a prosect like Svedberg, Kholochev or Spooner but i think the value is solid.
Imo Snow wouldn't.
Okposo has started slowly every nhl season, except 1.

Last season he was benched for 3 straight games, after going goalless in his first 15 games. He went on to finish with 24 goals.

This season he took 19/20 game to get started. His play has clearly picked up in the last 3 games, starting with the Leafs game. Last night's game against Montreal was his most physical, with him battling all night with Subban.

Isles are roughly $20m below the expected 2013-3014 cap floor, with the only key rfas Hamonic+ Ullstrom. Snow will not look at Okposo's $3m 2013-2014 salary as a drawback.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Imo Snow wouldn't.
Okposo has started slowly every nhl season, except 1.

Last season he was benched for 3 straight games, after going goalless in his first 15 games. He went on to finish with 24 goals.

This season he took 19/20 game to get started. His play has clearly picked up in the last 3 games, starting with the Leafs game. Last night's game against Montreal was his most physical, with him battling all night with Subban.

Isles are roughly $20m below the expected 2013-3014 cap floor, with the only key rfas Hamonic+ Ullstrom. Snow will not look at Okposo's $3m 2013-2014 salary as a drawback.
I love Kyle actually in fact he is one of my favorite players. I wouldnt trade him

unless a team was offering a first or #1 goalie like Bernier.

He is a slow starter and is playing well now.

I was commenting purely on his value which is at a low.

On the otherhand Bailey, Reasoner, Aucoin, Boulton, Finley, and Lubo should all be

dealt at the deadline.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Dan-o16

Okie is starting to turn his play around playing with Nielsen and Bailey. Still his value is at a low point.

This trade doesn't help the Islanders. We have a better, but still struggling, version of Caron in the minors (Nino). We can get at least a late-2nd for Visnovsky. We need more draft picks like we need holes in our heads.

There's just no point making this deal.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Caron has no value right now, don't think many teams would be interested

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
MarchandMadness 63*

Hearing rumors just minutes ago on Boston sports radio of Mike Ribeiro to the Bruins if the Caps are still out of it by the deadline.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
PMD? I thought Hamilton solved that problem.. B's need a solid defensive #4 dman, and a quality 3rd winger.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Chardo

Quote:

Okposo can score? Maybe if you widen the goal. He's legendary at hitting the post.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:42 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Okposo can score? Maybe if you widen the goal. He's legendary at hitting the post.
Zing.

I'd entertain an offer for Okposo unless they handcuff his "I don't feel so fresh until halfway through the season" ass to Tavares and Dawn Braid in the offseason, as he could possibly use a change of scenery, to a team where the "pressure" to be an alternate captain isn't his to handle and he can focus on not falling down and not hitting posts.

That being said, I'd add a pick and/or a prospect to get a more 'ready' roster player back. Okposo does have his qualities, but his flaws are magnified on a still-developing Islander team whereas on a team like the Bruins, he'd be a phenomenal 3rd liner who could pinch hit on the 2nd if injuries struck and obviously wouldn't have one of the "A's" so he could focus on the right things.

He can score goals, he can play okay around the boards, but admittedly part of the reason I want him off the Island and think that the Bruins would actually be a fair fit is because he wouldn't be as miscast as a power forward in an environment where no one seems to know how to be one, and I'd rather see the Isles have an alternate captain that isn't as soft as he is. He could stand to learn something from guys like Lucic and Horton.

Isles need more coming back, though.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Oates2Neely

Forget Okposo, what would it take to land Streit?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Forget Okposo, what would it take to land Streit?
We should sticky this : Streit's rep is in extension talks with Snow.
According to a poster who met Streit at a fan event, Streit sounds confident of getting his extension.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Bruins fans don't stop talking about how Caron has no value. So this basically Okposo for a 2nd, which is an easy no.
I get the feeling some Bruins fans think he has no value because he was a 1st round pick and won't ever be a 1st liner. I think they wanted a goalscoring power forward and that is not what he will be.

What he will be is an excellent defensive forward who can use his body and so far he has had flashes of pretty good scoring ability for small amounts of time.

This has been kind of a lost year for him, starting the year in Providence didn't seem to do him any favors, when the lockout ended he got hurt an the Bruins seem to want to giv Ray Bourque's son every opportunity to stick with the team since he has been great in the AHL even being the leading scorer. From what I have seen, I would rather have Caron over Bourque with ease.

I am not the only Bruins fan who thinks he is worth more than "nothing". I am not convinced that Okposo is that much of an upgrade over Caron to be honest. An upgrade in offense but Caron is great on defense and penalty killing so I am not sure how much better Okposo actually is. I seem to remember a time when Okposo struggled as badly as anyone and he seems to have mostly put it behind him, I would bet Caron does the same.

Some Bruins fans also wanted Blake Wheeler run out of town and thought he was worth nothing as well. He was the whipping boy for a lot of fans for 2 years.

Just like Wheeler, Caron is worth more than nothing. He may not be worth as much as Okposo but it doesn't mean he is garbage, he would play a different role on a team.

I also think that the Islanders would not consider this deal, I just wanted to point out that Caron is getting extremely underrated around the Bruins board.

Last edited by nmbr_24: 03-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.
nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:19 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I

I am not the only Bruins fan who thinks he is worth more than "nothing". I am not convinced that Okposo is that much of an upgrade over Caron to be honest. An upgrade in offense but Caron is great on defense and penalty killing so I am not sure how much better Okposo actually is. I seem to remember a time when Okposo struggled as badly as anyone and he seems to have mostly put it behind him, I would bet Caron does the same.

Brock Nelson, Cizikas , Ullstrom, Sundstrom....great on defense and penalty killing.
2 of the 4 on on the isles. The other two are in their first season in the AHL.

23 yr old Bailey's also very good defensively and on the pk.
Isles have zero reason to want Caron and that's not a knock on Caron. Simply pointing out that he's a redundant piece.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:

lets not be too cheap with our offers... Okposo feels like hes worth way more then a 25-30 pick in the first round. So lets begin our offer with our first if we are seriously trying to grab him for picks/prospects.

i think the ONLY reason Islanders might do this is if they dont feel he is fitting into team culture/landscape. Alot of Islander kids seem to want out... the organization has chewed kids up for years. Is he another on the list?

if he is... a first and caron might be about the best offer they could expect.

I agree with your opinion that he would be a good pickup for us. I see him potentially replacing Horton after this year too. Id give up our first if he was available for it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
lets not be too cheap with our offers... Okposo feels like hes worth way more then a 25-30 pick in the first round. So lets begin our offer with our first if we are seriously trying to grab him for picks/prospects.

i think the ONLY reason Islanders might do this is if they dont feel he is fitting into team culture/landscape. Alot of Islander kids seem to want out... the organization has chewed kids up for years. Is he another on the list?

if he is... a first and caron might be about the best offer they could expect.

I agree with your opinion that he would be a good pickup for us. I see him potentially replacing Horton after this year too. Id give up our first if he was available for it.

Which NYI kids want out?

20 yr old Nino, who was happy in the organization until not invited to camp? Nino, who's salary has gone from $900,000 in 2011-2012 to his current $90,000? I'd be unhappy too

And no interest in trading 24 yr old Okposo, for a late first, that's probably 2-4 yrs from contributing and a redundant player like Caron.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Brock Nelson, Cizikas , Ullstrom, Sundstrom....great on defense and penalty killing.
2 of the 4 on on the isles. The other two are in their first season in the AHL.

23 yr old Bailey's also very good defensively and on the pk.
Isles have zero reason to want Caron and that's not a knock on Caron. Simply pointing out that he's a redundant piece.
The very last sentence of my post I pointed out that I didn't think the Isles would be interested in this and I just wanted to point out how underrated Caron is becoming with some Bruins fans.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote