Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2013 MLS Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
Silvestre had his "Oh ****, MLS isn't a beer league" moment(s) in the first half. He really looked like a totally different player in the second half, whatever Porter told him at halftime worked.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Silvestre had his "Oh ****, MLS isn't a beer league" moment(s) in the first half. He really looked like a totally different player in the second half, whatever Porter told him at halftime worked.
Porter musta told NY not to attack so he would look better.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Nvm....

Last edited by Brock Anton: 03-03-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Well, Portland pretty comprehensively dominated the play in the second half and kept the ball in the offensive end of the field, so that probably helped.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Silvestre was terrible. His play was horrid in the 1st half.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Jay Demerit is out 6-8 months with a ruptured achilles.

03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Jay Demerit is out 6-8 months with a ruptured achilles.
That's horrible. Luckily they signed Rusin/Leveron in the offseason, so the Caps have got some depth centrally.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Gotcha. Also... The passing in this league is atrocious so far from what I've seen. I had heard that the MLS was on par with Ligue !. Doesn't seem to be the case though. Am I far off in any of this?

What are some of the intricacies to notice and appreciate in the MLS?
MLS isn't on par with Ligue 1. That's wishful thinking by somebody. Attendance-wise, they are similar, but not in level of play.

But that's the thing to appreciate about MLS; despite the level of play (which is improving, but it isn't a top international first division yet), there are legitimate fan bases entrenched around the league and some very nice new stadiums. The level of play doesn't have to be world-class for the games to be enjoyable, especially in person. People are buying in. There are one or two franchises that need to be addressed, but the league overall is extremely stable and ready for further expansion.

You don't have to be an MLS fanboy to understand that MLS is poised to move up in the world.

And that's exciting, because as I mentioned in the beginning, MLS is already on the level of a Ligue 1 in attendance. What will happen when the level of play actually is world-class?

Old
03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
MLS isn't on par with Ligue 1. That's wishful thinking by somebody. Attendance-wise, they are similar, but not in level of play.

But that's the thing to appreciate about MLS; despite the level of play (which is improving, but it isn't a top international first division yet), there are legitimate fan bases entrenched around the league and some very nice new stadiums. The level of play doesn't have to be world-class for the games to be enjoyable, especially in person. People are buying in. There are one or two franchises that need to be addressed, but the league overall is extremely stable and ready for further expansion.

You don't have to be an MLS fanboy to understand that MLS is poised to move up in the world.

And that's exciting, because as I mentioned in the beginning, MLS is already on the level of a Ligue 1 in attendance. What will happen when the level of play actually is world-class?
Oh I'm with you on everything you're saying here. That Portland crowd is absolutely awesome, and of course you don't have to have the greatest talent to enjoy the game. Just wish that the style of play was a little bit more patient and the passing more crisp.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

The Timbers & Red Bulls game was one of the most entertaining MLS game that I've ever seen! What a way to fight back and force the draw.
Timbers Army are amazing supporters! Watched the game with my dad who does not follow the MLS was shocked that this was in the U.S.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:45 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Huge loss for the Whitecaps.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
The Timbers & Red Bulls game was one of the most entertaining MLS game that I've ever seen! What a way to fight back and force the draw.
Timbers Army are amazing supporters! Watched the game with my dad who does not follow the MLS was shocked that this was in the U.S.
That was a doozie. Portland and Seattle always seem to have thrillers at home.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
MLS is hit or miss from game to game. It's definitely a league that favors athleticism.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:56 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
I attended the Dallas/Colorado game and was pretty underwhelmed; came home from the bar and caught Timbers / Red Bulls on the DVR and was blown away. I'm trying to make it to Seattle, Portland and Salt Lake this summer, and I hope I get to see a finish like that!

Old
03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Huge loss for the Whitecaps.
They have plenty of depth at center back, though. They should be okay.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I watched the highlights of other games yesterday... What the **** was Donovan Ricketts trying to do on the RB first goal? PTFC needs to dump that guy, he's done.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
A few generally do every year (~5) but which of them is anyone's guess...lots of first overalls in the league are average at best.
Austin Berry has made an immediate impact for the Fire, unlike most of their previous draft picks

Old
03-06-2013, 01:11 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I watched the highlights of other games yesterday... What the **** was Donovan Ricketts trying to do on the RB first goal? PTFC needs to dump that guy, he's done.
Quick decision -> ball rolling towards his feet -> goes to pick it up -> hesitates when realizes it's a back pass -> goal

Hard to call him "done" after a very understandable error..

Anyways, one thing that's always peeved me about the CCL is the 4 births going to US and 1 going to Canada. Canadian teams often are fortunate to even have 1 birth so I'm not saying we shouldn't be happy we have one slots. I think the Amway Canadian Championship and the US Open Cup should give one slot per country. The 3 remaining US slots (which currently can only be won by US MLS teams) should be open to ALL MLS teams (US teams would more often than not win all 3 slots anyways considering any good Canadian team probably would have locked up the ACC). I only feel this way because MLS is a joint league between two countries (something rare in FIFA) and if qualification is based on strong performance in that league then by allowing all teams to compete would be in the interest of sending the best Concacaf teams to the Champions League.

Obviously there are some logistical issues since the MLS slots are locked up well in advance of the ACC taking place.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I agree with you there. Those 3 spots should be open to all.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Quick decision -> ball rolling towards his feet -> goes to pick it up -> hesitates when realizes it's a back pass -> goal

Hard to call him "done" after a very understandable error..
I thought he played okay, honestly. Silvestre was a complete disaster in front of him, though.

Quote:
Anyways, one thing that's always peeved me about the CCL is the 4 births going to US and 1 going to Canada. Canadian teams often are fortunate to even have 1 birth so I'm not saying we shouldn't be happy we have one slots. I think the Amway Canadian Championship and the US Open Cup should give one slot per country. The 3 remaining US slots (which currently can only be won by US MLS teams) should be open to ALL MLS teams (US teams would more often than not win all 3 slots anyways considering any good Canadian team probably would have locked up the ACC). I only feel this way because MLS is a joint league between two countries (something rare in FIFA) and if qualification is based on strong performance in that league then by allowing all teams to compete would be in the interest of sending the best Concacaf teams to the Champions League.

Obviously there are some logistical issues since the MLS slots are locked up well in advance of the ACC taking place.
This was brought up in the previous MLS thread. The CCL spots are not awarded to MLS - they are awarded to the USSF, who then awards them to the US Open Cup winner and the three best American teams in MLS. The USSF has absolutely zero incentive to hurt its own chances in the CCL to help Canadian teams. Even if they wanted to give a spot to a Canadian team, CONCACAF probably would not let them.

If the primary concern of the Canadian clubs is the Champions League, then they should either a.) prioritize the Canadian Championship over early-season MLS games, or b.) break away and form their own first division, assuming they can find enough economically viable teams to make that arrangement work.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJack
Exclusive: Toronto FC close in on Argentine forward Maximiliano Urruti to be their next DP #tfc #mls
22 year old striker from Newell's Old Boys in Argentina.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Kaka to....... Sporting KC?

At around 51 minutes in Robb Heineman says, 'Kaka's agent reached out to us about 3 weeks ago and said he wanted to come to Kansas City.' Who knows if he was being sarcastic, but it sounded like he was serious.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Hard to call him "done" after a very understandable error...
Problem is he has been making mistake after mistake since he joined the Impact last year. His positioning is awful, sucks on crosses (low or high) and has slippery hands. His only redeemable quality is that he is a good shot stopper because of his size and athleticism.

Also, a pro should know that you can't grab a back pass. It should be ingrained in his brain.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
That was a doozie. Portland and Seattle always seem to have thrillers at home.
That's why I find myself watching games that involve the Cascadia teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I attended the Dallas/Colorado game and was pretty underwhelmed; came home from the bar and caught Timbers / Red Bulls on the DVR and was blown away. I'm trying to make it to Seattle, Portland and Salt Lake this summer, and I hope I get to see a finish like that!
I wouldn't mind heading to that neck of the woods to catch a game myself actually. would hope for the same thing!

Actually stoked for the Timbers/Sounders match in a couple weeks. those games are always entertaining.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
This was brought up in the previous MLS thread. The CCL spots are not awarded to MLS - they are awarded to the USSF, who then awards them to the US Open Cup winner and the three best American teams in MLS. The USSF has absolutely zero incentive to hurt its own chances in the CCL to help Canadian teams. Even if they wanted to give a spot to a Canadian team, CONCACAF probably would not let them.

If the primary concern of the Canadian clubs is the Champions League, then they should either a.) prioritize the Canadian Championship over early-season MLS games, or b.) break away and form their own first division, assuming they can find enough economically viable teams to make that arrangement work.
The bigger thing is....there are 4 Canadian teams!!! How many teams do they need in Champs!!! Hell nobody can even beat Toronto, they don't deserve even the one they get it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Problem is he has been making mistake after mistake since he joined the Impact last year. His positioning is awful, sucks on crosses (low or high) and has slippery hands. His only redeemable quality is that he is a good shot stopper because of his size and athleticism.

Also, a pro should know that you can't grab a back pass. It should be ingrained in his brain.
Always has been since he was on the Gals. Pretty good shot stopper that can do little else and even then he only does it half the year cause he is always injured.

Closed Thread