HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #51
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 24,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
And I did too, but I didn't realize he was the best of all time. For all I knew at that point, he was just the greatest because he played for our team in our city. It wasn't till I got older that I then realized, holy crap, he really was the best ever. I was huge into collecting basketball cards when I was younger, and would always see the older cards and look at their stats... I'd see guys that put up way better numbers, but had never heard of them, so I would question just how great he is since you could find other players that had better numbers than him.
He was my hero when I was little so there was little doubt to me, as say a 5 year old kid, that he was the closest thing to a basketball God.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #52
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I know. 'Tis a joke, sir. The joke is that I don't like anything in the South.
The South actually isn't that bad. Atlanta and Raleigh are great. Nashville is a blast, not somewhere that I could live, but know many that could. Have great historical cities like Savannah and Charleston. Have casinos and beaches in Biloxi. Atlanta has grown on me quite a bit, and after my last trip back home, I questioned if I'd actually move back to Chicago when given the chance. The things I love about Chicago I'm not sure are things I'd really enjoy on a daily basis anymore. I can't believe I've been saying this lately, but Atlanta has really made some huge strides as a city the last 3-4 years, enough that I'm not dying to move out of here anymore and will consider staying.

RayP is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #53
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
RoyP is actually French Canadian.

le Roy de P
His French ancestry must be where he gets all of his cooking expertise from. It all makes sense now.

Kurtosis is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #54
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Six hours of sleep is deprivation? Oi vey...

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
  #55
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The South is a mixed bag. After shoveling for the fourth time last night, it sure sounded good anyway.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
  #56
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
I only have about 87k posts more to catch up to Ix. Feels good.

Kurtosis is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
  #57
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Six hours of sleep is deprivation? Oi vey...
Well, I don't have to worry about a kid or anything major, so we live in totally different worlds, DHF.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
  #58
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 24,258
vCash: 500
I'm far enough south that people are afraid of snow though we still get it.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
  #59
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Well, I don't have to worry about a kid or anything major, so we live in totally different worlds, DHF.
Yeah all you have to worry about is where you are going to get your next MD from. Tis a charmed life.

Kurtosis is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
  #60
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
Ray, I did like Nashville. Since I couldn't legally drink, it was good for a couple days. I'll surely be back once I hit the big 21.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
  #61
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The South is a mixed bag. After shoveling for the fourth time last night, it sure sounded good anyway.
You just have to watch out for the redneck spots, which are easily avoidable. The real redneck spots are... interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
His French ancestry must be where he gets all of his cooking expertise from. It all makes sense now.
Not a fan of French food. The one cuisine I never touch.

RayP is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
  #62
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Six hours of sleep is deprivation? Oi vey...
It's cute having a high school-aged kid around here.

As for the snow, my thoughts would all be blanked out on here anyway so I won't bother. Girlfriend's business stayed closed yesterday so she was home all day and shoveled throughout the day. By the time I got home around 1230 the alley looked like it was never even touched. So had to do that and the front one more time. Needless to say I'm glad I'm off today. My body needs it between the shift I had and then shoveling all that when I got home.

I'm definitely feeling a warmer locale.

Blue Liner is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
  #63
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
Not that anybody cares, but I am officially going to the University of Illinois.

Indiana is $10K more a year, so I decided to go with Illinois. I also have a shot at free tuition. In the words of Bart Scott, can't wait.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  #64
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Ray, I did like Nashville. Since I couldn't legally drink, it was good for a couple days. I'll surely be back once I hit the big 21.
Awesome, awesome drinking town. One of the reasons I couldn't live there, that's pretty much all there is to do, and it's a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
It's cute having a high school-aged kid around here.

As for the snow, my thoughts would all be blanked out on here anyway so I won't bother. Girlfriend's business stayed closed yesterday so she was home all day and shoveled throughout the day. By the time I got home around 1230 the alley looked like it was never even touched. So had to do that and the front one more time. Needless to say I'm glad I'm off today. My body needs it between the shift I had and then shoveling all that when I got home.

I'm definitely feeling a warmer locale.
When you guys were talking about moving, I don't know why, but Tampa kept coming to mind.

-hockey team
-nfl team
-baseball team, for now at least
-beaches
-warm 365 days a year
-casinos
-realistic living costs


Not only that, but you really have access to a lot of other great stuff driving wise. Miami, Orlando, Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, and hell even New Orleans is only a 9 hour drive.

RayP is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  #65
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
It's cute having a high school-aged kid around here.

As for the snow, my thoughts would all be blanked out on here anyway so I won't bother. Girlfriend's business stayed closed yesterday so she was home all day and shoveled throughout the day. By the time I got home around 1230 the alley looked like it was never even touched. So had to do that and the front one more time. Needless to say I'm glad I'm off today. My body needs it between the shift I had and then shoveling all that when I got home.

I'm definitely feeling a warmer locale.
Not for long.

Well, I guess we'll still have BBH and his GDT prowess.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:36 PM
  #66
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
You just have to watch out for the redneck spots, which are easily avoidable. The real redneck spots are... interesting.



Not a fan of French food. The one cuisine I never touch.
I love French cuisine. In fact, it may be my favorite. Odd that you don't like it to tell you the truth.

Kurtosis is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:36 PM
  #67
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
These conceal carry dopes marching on the Capitol are being loud...makes it hard to work.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:37 PM
  #68
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
**** having people carrying around weapons.

I can't wait for people to overreact when they (wrongly) think their life is in danger and take a life.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:37 PM
  #69
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Awesome, awesome drinking town. One of the reasons I couldn't live there, that's pretty much all there is to do, and it's a blast.



When you guys were talking about moving, I don't know why, but Tampa kept coming to mind.

-hockey team
-nfl team
-baseball team, for now at least
-beaches
-warm 365 days a year
-casinos
-realistic living costs


Not only that, but you really have access to a lot of other great stuff driving wise. Miami, Orlando, Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, and hell even New Orleans is only a 9 hour drive.

Never been to Tampa itself but all accounts say it's pretty nice. I have family in Ft. Myers and my girlfriend's family has a condo in Naples. Lot of retirees down that way but I also know having lived in another place known for that that the stereotype way overhypes how much that sector of the population dominates the overall population.

And Culk, for all intents and purposes you're still the resident kid around here, soon-to-be-college or not. And that's not a criticism. Congrats on your college selection. If I could do it all over again I might've picked U of I, myself. Hindsight's always a *****.

Blue Liner is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
  #70
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Never been to Tampa itself but all accounts say it's pretty nice. I have family in Ft. Myers and my girlfriend's family has a condo in Naples. Lot of retirees down that way but I also know having lived in another place known for that that the stereotype way overhypes how much that sector of the population dominates the overall population.

And Culk, for all intents and purposes you're still the resident kid around here, soon-to-be-college or not. And that's not a criticism. Congrats on your college selection. If I could do it all over again I might've picked U of I, myself. Hindsight's always a *****.
I appreciate it, sir.

I hope it all works out.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
  #71
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I love French cuisine. In fact, it may be my favorite. Odd that you don't like it to tell you the truth.
Just something about it I don't like. Spanish and Italian are probably my favorite, followed by specifically southern India cuisine. I like northern India cuisine a lot too, but prefer southern. As for Italian and Spanish, the ingredients that they use as their core stuff are all my favorite.

RayP is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
  #72
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
You just have to watch out for the redneck spots, which are easily avoidable. The real redneck spots are... interesting.



Not a fan of French food. The one cuisine I never touch.
The French and the Chinese are probably the two biggest influences in the history of food. I'm not technically skilled to do all that much in the French realm, but the food is pretty damn good.

It's also the basis of Creole cooking, which is easily my favorite type. Spice and rice. Mmm.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  #73
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Huge Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater fan right here, used to have family down there, been there around 15 times. Also have been all over Florida, Daytona, Orlando, Miami, etc. Still prefer the Tampa area overall. It would definitely be at the top of my list if I were to move. Man, I wish I had some gator on a stick right now, mmmm.

digdug41982 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  #74
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,712
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Well, I don't have to worry about a kid or anything major, so we live in totally different worlds, DHF.
If six hours is rough to operate on, real college is going to kick you square in the nuts, or so I'm told.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
  #75
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Just something about it I don't like. Spanish and Italian are probably my favorite, followed by specifically southern India cuisine. I like northern India cuisine a lot too, but prefer southern. As for Italian and Spanish, the ingredients that they use as their core stuff are all my favorite.
Spanish is right up there with French as far as I am concerned. I absolutely love it; they also have the best wine which in my opinion is superior to French.

Kurtosis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.