HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins/Islanders

Old
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Which NYI kids want out?

20 yr old Nino, who was happy in the organization until not invited to camp? Nino, who's salary has gone from $900,000 in 2011-2012 to his current $90,000? I'd be unhappy too

And no interest in trading 24 yr old Okposo, for a late first, that's probably 2-4 yrs from contributing and a redundant player like Caron.
youve cheered your organization for at least the last 10 years or so ive been around here... and time after time you got your heart set on your latest draft picks being the ones to turn your team around.

then for whatever reason it didnt work out for you.

you know far better then i, how you were denied a chance to cheer for all your young prospects to develop into superstars with your team cause some crap happened... something resulted in them leaving town... something was wrong with your organization

you are a true fantatic... a credit to the concept of being able to support a team even when that team has done nothing to deserve your support. I wish you no ill will. if okposo is happy in ny and they are happy with him, then by all means keep him.

im not in the clubhouse... i dont read the kids mind...

just seems to me, something is wrong cause he doesnt seem to put out a consistient effort. that usually indicates hes unhappy with something??? might need a change of scenery???

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post

if okposo is happy in ny and they are happy with him, then by all means keep him.

im not in the clubhouse... i dont read the kids mind...

just seems to me, something is wrong cause he doesnt seem to put out a consistient effort. that usually indicates hes unhappy with something??? might need a change of scenery???

When a player signs a team friendly contract, that goes into his ufa yrs, I'd say that player is happy where he's at. Or when he signs without testing the ufa market, I'd say that's player's happy where he's at. Isles have had Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Neilsen and Okposo do this.

We had a Swiss fan visit or board during the lockout, to tell us Streit was gonna be leaving this summer as a ufa, that he wanted to play for a winning team.Several months later, Streit's telling Newsday he wants to stay, thinks this group is very close to turning the corner.

I'm gonna guess Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Neilsen and Okposo felt the same way.

If 24 yr old Okposo ends up getting a change of scenery, it'll be because he'll been bumped aside by a younger, hungrier and cheaper forward and I'd expect he'd go in a package for NHL talent.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 03-06-2013 at 12:45 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
When a player signs a team friendly contract, that goes into his ufa yrs, I'd say that player is happy where he's at. Or when he signs without testing the ufa market, I'd say that's player's happy where he's at. Isles have had Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Neilsen and Okposo do this.

We had a Swiss fan visit or board during the lockout, to tell us Streit was gonna be leaving this summer as a ufa, that he wanted to play for a winning team.Several months later, Streit's telling Newsday he wants to stay, thinks this group is very close to turning the corner.

I'm gonna guess Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Neilsen and Okposo felt the same way.

If 24 yr old Okposo ends up getting a change of scenery, it'll be because he'll been bumped aside by a younger, hungrier and cheaper forward and I'd expect he'd go in a package for NHL talent.
there was a time we had guys like thornton/samsonov/boynton/raycroft/murry forming the young nucleus of our team. they all spoke well in public for the most part. they seemed to sign contracts fairly easily with us.

but there was a poison going on... a loser culture or something? management of course was partly to blame.

ultimately we won a cup a few years later and all these guys were not part of it. they all had to go.

if your situation is better... then im very happy for you. i was sad to see my favorite players get sent packing. but in the long haul, when the dust settled... it was the right thing for our team to let us get a better culture and a real winning club put together the right way.

i say again... if okposo is available, i personally like him. id give up a first and caron fro him. i hope i dont seem like im saying the guy is crap. i just say if he does get moved, chances are its for clubhouse/culture reasons or personal reasons. as a talent he seems to be what NY needs for talent and as you say his contract seems good.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
there was a time we had guys like thornton/samsonov/boynton/raycroft/murry forming the young nucleus of our team. they all spoke well in public for the most part. they seemed to sign contracts fairly easily with us.

but there was a poison going on... a loser culture or something? management of course was partly to blame.

ultimately we won a cup a few years later and all these guys were not part of it. they all had to go.

if your situation is better... then im very happy for you. i was sad to see my favorite players get sent packing. but in the long haul, when the dust settled... it was the right thing for our team to let us get a better culture and a real winning club put together the right way.

i say again... if okposo is available, i personally like him. id give up a first and caron fro him. i hope i dont seem like im saying the guy is crap. i just say if he does get moved, chances are its for clubhouse/culture reasons or personal reasons. as a talent he seems to be what NY needs for talent and as you say his contract seems good.
You totally ignore the isles lease and budget restrictions. If instead of Snow trading for Thomas phantom $5m cap hit, he instead packaged some of that young talent for Bobby's Ryan with his $5m salary, how much stronger are the NYI, currently two pts out of the 8th seed?

And Like several Bruin fans with their proposals for Streit. Grabner and Okposo, you ignore that the isles have a deep prospect pool, that trading young NHLers like 24 yr old Okposo for a late 1st and a redundant prospect, does nothing except improve Bridgeport for the NYI.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
We should sticky this : Streit's rep is in extension talks with Snow.
Means nothing, really. If they can't come to an agreement in the next few weeks, Snow should absolutely move him.

Quote:
According to a poster who met Streit at a fan event, Streit sounds confident of getting his extension.
Even if it's true, it's a player talking to a fan. Of course he's gonna say that.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Means nothing, really. If they can't come to an agreement in the next few weeks, Snow should absolutely move him.

Even if it's true, it's a player talking to a fan. Of course he's gonna say that.
I agree if they can't reach agreement, Streit will probably be moved.I think Streit's contract demands( 3 yrs/$10m) , are pretty reasonable.

I expect they'll come to an agreement though. The cap floor's gonna be $48m.The Isles have $28m tied up in salaries. Their rfas are Hamonic/Ullstrom/Bailey/Hickey/Poulin and they have to decide on vet goalies Nabby/Thomas.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
You totally ignore the isles lease and budget restrictions. If instead of Snow trading for Thomas phantom $5m cap hit, he instead packaged some of that young talent for Bobby's Ryan with his $5m salary, how much stronger are the NYI, currently two pts out of the 8th seed?

And Like several Bruin fans with their proposals for Streit. Grabner and Okposo, you ignore that the isles have a deep prospect pool, that trading young NHLers like 24 yr old Okposo for a late 1st and a redundant prospect, does nothing except improve Bridgeport for the NYI.
i dont think im ignoring anything about the islanders... just judging them on their history. my bruins often did crap in the past too. your islanders once upon a time won some cups.

not everything the islanders have done in their history is wrong... but in recent times they havent had a lot of success right? and many of their young players were dealt right? and alot of you supporters didnt like the trades that were made right?

if you feel comfortable that snow and ownership will handle okoposo the right way, then i admire you. personally i wouldnt have much faith in things turning out well reguarding this situation.

its like when boston drafted kessel. things like that dont normally work out well for boston. i have very little faith that seguin will be with the team for the long haul cause bruins very rarely keep soft skilled guys with this type of personality around very long. you can go right back to middleton... he had to change before we accepted him

we never did end up accepting janney... or juneau... thornton... kessel... in boston we tend to eat our young if they dont either play a very gritty game, or at least have a good personality that relates well to us.

i personally am much more accepting of players like janney and juneau and thornton and kessel so i was always sad to see these guys tossed away at the very first opportunity that came along. even when we won some of the deals... i still was sad that my team disposes of guys like this so quickly.

as an islander fan i might feel even worst seeing guys like louongo and chara and even gaborik all playing well for other teams and seeing that i didnt get much return for them. i know it was a different islander management team that let these 3 names go.. but has much really changed since then?

i am not trying to slag on the islanders. all that i said is that id be happy to get okposo if he becomes available. i think the op proposal wouldnt be enough. i like okposo and think hes a valuable guy. i didnt say he is available. i didnt say he should be dealt. i only said that if he does become available it probably is due to his struggling which is possibly an indication that he isnt fitting in. i dont really feel i crawled out on a limb to put 2 and 2 together there...

if hes not dealt... then chances are he does fit in right? and there is nothing wrong right? i hope nothing but the best for the kid and your team. of course, i hope even better for my team

Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Forget Okposo, what would it take to land Streit?
Streit most likely is staying. Lubo should be dealt

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
kasper11

General rule of thumb...the Isles have lots of prospect depth. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that they will trade any player or prospect for a package of lesser valued players/prospects/picks (unless the Isle in question is a UFA and the team is out of playoff contention).

The Isles are much more likely to trade someone like Okposo in a package deal than to accept a package for him.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
not everything the islanders have done in their history is wrong... but in recent times they havent had a lot of success right? and many of their young players were dealt right? and alot of you supporters didnt like the trades that were made right?
Kind of hard to have success when your owner uses cap floor tricks, to spend at times below the cap floor in actual salary. Isles would be a much more competitive team, as I pointed out, if they'd acquired Bobby Ryan and his $5m in salary as oppossed to Thomas phantom cap hit.

Quote:
if you feel comfortable that snow and ownership will handle okoposo the right way, then i admire you. personally i wouldnt have much faith in things turning out well reguarding this situation.
I have faith that the isles have taken a cautious approach this season with top youngsters Strome/Nino/Brock Nelson/Reinhart/Donovan. I also have faith that if Snow moves the inconsistent 24 yr old Okposo, it'll be part of a bigger deal then a pick+ redundant prospect.

Quote:
as an islander fan i might feel even worst seeing guys like louongo and chara and even gaborik all playing well for other teams and seeing that i didnt get much return for them. i know it was a different islander management team that let these 3 names go.. but has much really changed since then?
As you point out, Snow was not the gm when Lou and Chara were dealt. He wasn't the gm when Gaborik was passed over. If anything, Snow has proven to be the anti-Milbury, very conservative. I have few complaints about Snow's drafting or trading.

Quote:
i am not trying to slag on the islanders. all that i said is that id be happy to get okposo if he becomes available. i think the op proposal wouldnt be enough. i like okposo and think hes a valuable guy. i didnt say he is available. i didnt say he should be dealt. i only said that if he does become available it probably is due to his struggling which is possibly an indication that he isnt fitting in. i dont really feel i crawled out on a limb to put 2 and 2 together there...
I've posted the same comments about Grabner and Okposo: Snow will show a lot of patience with core players, on team friendly contracts. The first three seasons of both their 5 yr deals, are team friendly.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
YearlyLottery

I would rather keep KO.

Okposo has his flaws but he hasn't been playing terrible as of late.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I think Streit's contract demands( 3 yrs/$10m) , are pretty reasonable.
God, I hope they pass on that. I like Streit, but 3 years is too long for a guy in decline.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
God, I hope they pass on that. I like Streit, but 3 years is too long for a guy in decline.
Keep in mind that Streit's playing with a bad leg, that reportedly will only get better with rest.

I want Streit playing 2nd pairing mins next season and to for the isles to ease in one of Reinhart/De haan/Donovan into the top 4, as his eventual replacement.

So long as the isles don't give him a NTC or NMC, I'm ok with giving him a 3 yr deal.
That salary's not gonna scare of potential trade partners down the road.