HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Braydon Coburn

Old
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
3Fs

vCash: 500
Braydon Coburn

To me, he looks really lost out there. When puck comes down to our end and he is the man after it, I now wonder how bad of a scoring chance for other team his turnover will give the other team. Not getting puck out of zone, passing it right to other team and all the bad decisions I have been watching. It is if he is just floating out there in la la land.

I have always been a fan of Coburn. But this year and especially most recent, has giving me great concern.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

like I said in another thread, for what he's being paid, he's been our worst defenseman by far. He constantly fails to clear the zone and makes dumb plays all the time. When he isn't paired with Grossmann, he's even worse.

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:57 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I've never been a big Coburn fan. He mad a lot of terrible plays last year - but everyone told me how great he was. This year, he's REALLY bad.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:09 AM
BillDineen

We either get dumb Coburn or good Coburn. Despite Metlzer saying he was one of the best D men last night, I thought he was garbage. He is definitely in dumb mode of late.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Psuhockey

He's a complimentary defenseman who needs a good partner to really shine. He would be perfect for St Louis as a partner for Piertangelo or Buffalo for Myers. The sad part is at this point the Flyers have all complimentary guys and no lead guys.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I've been speculating he's injured. He struggles to clear the puck, he's been a lot less physical (aside from one game I can recall), and his shot is now worse than Carle's ever was. It's been going on for a long time now.

If he's healthy...wow.

03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been speculating he's injured. He struggles to clear the puck, he's been a lot less physical (aside from one game I can recall), and his shot is now worse than Carle's ever was. It's been going on for a long time now.

If he's healthy...wow.
Now see, this has crossed my mind also. Is he hiding an injury? If so, they need to shut him down because if he is, hes not hiding it well with his game play. If hes not injured and just has some other issues going on. They need to have him sit in press box for a game to refocused. My opinion of course.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
He's a complimentary defenseman who needs a good partner to really shine. He would be perfect for St Louis as a partner for Piertangelo or Buffalo for Myers. The sad part is at this point the Flyers have all complimentary guys and no lead guys.
He has been around Timmo long enough to not be somebodies sidekick. If this is the problem of late, he just needs to step up to the plate and deliver, like he has been groomed to do. IMO

Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
BringBackStevens

He's regressed. I'd move him before his league image is totally shattered

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
I dont think hes hurt. We saw some of these things last year.
I hope hes gone because I really am beginning to hate him.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
bp spec

I actually used to be a fan of his. But now I'm starting to get real tired of his crappy performances. Seems like he plays without any emotions at all. An angry Coburn is a beast, but I can count those games on one hand.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Keaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I've never been a big Coburn fan. He mad a lot of terrible plays last year - but everyone told me how great he was. This year, he's REALLY bad.
Because no matter how bad a play Coburn could make Carle was bound to do something worse

Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

It's too bad that Coburn has never recovered from that puck in the face from the Pittsburgh series in 07 - 08. That just seemed to suck the wind out of his game and he's been struggling ever since to get back to that level. I think he's a guy who really does need a change of scenery to get back to that level he was once at. Too bad too because he has all the skills to be an all world defenseman. He just isn't able to put it together consistently at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love how quickly people turn on players here. Is Coburn really the new Carle?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Isn't Bryz the new Carle?

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
He's been playing badly enough. This hasn't been a quick turn either. People aren't being knee jerk over one bad game. He's been really bad all season. That's not exactly a quick turn.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
MsWoof

I loved him with Kimmo years ago and hoped he would keep developing but he's never had that angry edge that you'd like to see in a defenseman his size.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:17 PM
cheesesteak

I thought he was our best defenseman last year but maybe I just really underrated Grossmann

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I thought Coburn really turned the corner last year after the final 30 games and the playoffs. I really thought he was ready to be the lead guy and he was the one that this defense could be built around. This season, watching him out there, I'm just completely astonished that he has shown nothing as to what he showed last year. I've heard everything from injuries to Coburn being a slow starter, but he's been in the league long enough now that he knows what he needs to do to be successful, yet he's done none of it and he just looks lost out there. It's painful to watch because this is a guy who has the skill set to do it all. He's big, strong, can skate, can hit, can fight, and has offensive acumen, yet none of that is showing. I'd like to blame Laviolette for his regression, but Coburn has been like this for years - plays bad for a stretch, starts to play good, then starts to play real good and just as soon as you think he's turned the corner and he's going to play good consistently, he falls apart. I've tried. I've really tried to like Coburn, but the inconsistency in his game just kills this team. When they need him more than ever, he's nowhere to be found.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
He's been playing badly enough. This hasn't been a quick turn either. People aren't being knee jerk over one bad game. He's been really bad all season. That's not exactly a quick turn.
Maybe it isn't a quick turn in the sense that he hasn't been great all season, but he is an established player, one who IIRC many people considered untouchable during the last offseason. Now, 24 games later he's the subject of trade proposals galore and getting quite a bit of grief. Admittedly, he hasn't been that great, but as usual around here, his play is the subject of overreaction.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Maybe it isn't a quick turn in the sense that he hasn't been great all season, but he is an established player, one who IIRC many people considered untouchable during the last offseason. Now, 24 games later he's the subject of trade proposals galore and getting quite a bit of grief. Admittedly, he hasn't been that great, but as usual around here, his play is the subject of overreaction.
I think the addition of Schenn and Grossmann continuing to be a beast have made him more expendable than he once was. That said, I'd rather hold onto him unless the return is good. enough to justify trading him. I'm sticking to my "must be injured" theory. He doesn't look like himself.

Play like this is an off and on thing for Coburn, usually...with more time off than on. 20ish sustained games of bad play is odd for him.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
3Fs

Quote:
Like I said in my first post, I'm a fan of Coburn. There is something wrong with him and it is really showing. I hardly ever post on here and do not start threads. I did because I am very concerned with him. I'm hoping its an injury or something. Just watch him without the puck and hes in la la land. When he gets the puck he just flat out screws something up. There is a problem and I hope he gets fixed fast because he is an important part of our future, well he could be.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Yet he still is the team's leader in ice time by a considerable margin, and is the team's go-to shutdown D. Sure, he's looked terrible at times, but if he switches roles with Schenn, we'd be talking about how elite Coburn is and how disappointing Schenn has been (instead of the other way around). Coburn needs a partner that complements his style of play to make use of his skill set. Right now he's responsible for directing the breakout, resulting in a billion giveaways.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Yet he still is the team's leader in ice time by a considerable margin, and is the team's go-to shutdown D. Sure, he's looked terrible at times, but if he switches roles with Schenn, we'd be talking about how elite Coburn is and how disappointing Schenn has been (instead of the other way around). Coburn needs a partner that complements his style of play to make use of his skill set. Right now he's responsible for directing the breakout, resulting in a billion giveaways.
Well where else do you put him? Make Kimo babysit him like he has through his career? Timonen is working with Schenn at the moment.

He has been average this season. That being said, you really cant trade him since we are thin on defense already

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well where else do you put him? Make Kimo babysit him like he has through his career? Timonen is working with Schenn at the moment.

He has been average this season. That being said, you really cant trade him since we are thin on defense already
Exactly, the Flyers don't have anyone else to be his partner. The solution isn't to trade Coburn but to trade for a puckmover who can handle big minutes with him.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote