HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

vCash: 500
I would definitely do a trade & sign for Clowe. If nothing else than for added toughness. Then when he finds his game again, and he will, the trade will be a steal.

These top 9 guys who can fight anyone in the league are ridiculously valuable. Neil wasn't even available when Ottawa cleaned house 2 years ago.

Old
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I don't get the love for David Clarkson though. He has one good season this year. Last year was very mediocre. And everything beyond that has been pretty bad for a player that some believe to be a top 6.

What is it? Was he used as a 3rd/4th liner until last year when they realized he was a good player?

Honest question because I had never heard of him until last season's playoffs.
Clarkson is Prust X 2. He can fight as well, be a leader and score goals. But, he will be overpaid next year, for sure. I guess NJ will do anything to keep him around.

Old
Drive425

Any interest in a tough dman like Tim Gleason? Would he be available?

Old
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
I would definitely do a trade & sign for Clowe. If nothing else than for added toughness. Then when he finds his game again, and he will, the trade will be a steal.

These top 9 guys who can fight anyone in the league are ridiculously valuable. Neil wasn't even available when Ottawa cleaned house 2 years ago.
... Yeah, not long time ago, Habs selected Maxwell just ahead of Lucic...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Mats86

Clowe having a real bad year, injuries after below par last year. Doubt San Jose will be looking for future, they are in playoff race. Rumors they were in on Moen last trade deadline. Where Moen is signed and Clowe UFA...I would be all in offering Moen even up, give up no pics or prospects. If he will waive his no-trade.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
... Yeah, not long time ago, Habs selected Maxwell just ahead of Lucic...
Thing about that is Maxwell was seen as a steal while Lucic was seen as a reach.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I don't get the love for David Clarkson though. He has one good season this year. Last year was very mediocre. And everything beyond that has been pretty bad for a player that some believe to be a top 6.

What is it? Was he used as a 3rd/4th liner until last year when they realized he was a good player?

Honest question because I had never heard of him until last season's playoffs.
Well, he had a breakout year last season with 30 goals... And so far this season he is showing that it might not be a fluke.

But I agree. He's going to be a very risky investment for whoever signs him. Hence why I'm more interested in a cheaper Clowe.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Thing about that is Maxwell was seen as a steal while Lucic was seen as a reach.
What a "steal" ! Another Palushaj or D'Agostini.

A steal is Gallagher, someone with a very stong personnality and character despite his physical shortcomings.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
LePoche69

Yeah, it would be cool that Habs add another big body like Prust, but who can score a bit more, and/or even an enforcer.

But to me, to most worrying thing with the team right now is the defense. It is soft and is horrible sometimes. I don't think that group can beat many team in a best of 7series, certainly not Boston.

I said it since the start of the season, even when things were going very well. This defense is not that good. Markov can't play 25-30 minutes on a constant basis anymore, and he's slow. Subban is good and still progressing, but he makes many dumb plays in his zone. Emelin is ok, but should idealy be a #5-6 d-man. Bouillon gives all he got, but can't play more than 14 minutes a game and should be a #6-7. And Gorges, to me, is greatly overrated. Beside blocking shots, he doesn't do anything very well, and he's plain horrible in any offensive aspect of the game. In the o-zone, he countlessly makes bad passes, and he seems unable to get out of the d-zone in another way that by shooting the puck by the glass. Surprisingly, that defense held together by Diaz' amazing play. Since he's hurt, even in victories, the defense has been below average.

Maybe not at the deadline, but this team really needs a true #1 d-man if it wants to take the next step.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

The other reason to get Clowe would be to avoid the Leafs or Bruins landing him.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
The other reason to get Clowe would be to avoid the Leafs or Bruins landing him.
I am sure he would look great with Peverley and Kelly on the Bruins' 3rd line.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Buy low with Clowe and hope he finds his game again...problem is it might only come back next year

Old
03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Buy low with Clowe and hope he finds his game again...problem is it might only come back next year
Some players showed up in very bad shape for the new, shortened season, physically and mentally. Cole is one of them. Clowe looked like one too.

They should had followed Selanne's and Koiviu's example, two vets who have put the pedal to the metal.

But if Clowe is really fading away and too pricy, SJ have also Adam Burish who can be interesting, and Winnipeg got Thornburn, two guys who can play physically on a 4th line. Jared Boll would be my favourite addition..

Old
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
I am sure he would look great with Peverley and Kelly on the Bruins' 3rd line.
Shudder. I can see Boston managing a good trade to make that possible to. With their trade records these last years... They could pull that off and re-sign him too. Shudder

Old
03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Tusk

Quote:
What a "steal" ! Another Palushaj or D'Agostini.

A steal is Gallagher, someone with a very stong personnality and character despite his physical shortcomings.
Maxwell was projected to go 1st round for the most part, that was the context in which steal was used, no need to laugh at someone about the truth.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Maxwell was projected to go 1st round for the most part, that was the context in which steal was used, no need to laugh at someone about the truth.
I was not laughing at the poster, just at the fact that Maxwell was considered a steal by some scouts or commentators.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Tusk

Quote:
I was not laughing at the poster, just at the fact that Maxwell was considered a steal by some scouts or commentators.
Sorry, that laughing smilie really makes me angry.

In hindsight I agree with you. That 2006 draft looked like it had a few steals for the Habs as Maxwell and White dropped down the rankings when some had them projected in the 1st round. White was like a prime Brendan Morrow, in junior, haha.

I'm all for the Habs adding the right fit of players but not for anything future, I would hold on to every draft pick and not let the recent success curb the original plan.

Although I see one of the 2nd's being dealt now.......

Old
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
A lot of Shark fans are saying he's playing through an undisclosed injury.
If that's the case, acquiring him would have to be long term and it might hurt to insert him this year since with Bourque, we're don't need to change much if the only option is an injured Ryan Clowe who is playing far below his usual level (which is great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
So all the stuff I read about him from people that watch EVERY game is wrong? Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I'll take my opinion on seeing him play over a guy who's reporting other people's opinion on his game in 19 contests to start a weird shortened season. To suggest he generally sucks because of fans bashing him game in the 19 last contests is ridiculous.
Funny thing is that in the last 5-6 days, most people reading our board wouldn't touch Price with a ten foot pole. Oh and that ****** captain of ours who's (as I predicted, yay me!) finally putting up goals (and an important one to boot) is a load of garbage. Gorges is the worst D ever. Markov will never have an impact on the team again, after his knee problems. DD = worst or best.

PK, well it just changes based on what people ate that day.

I say watching the player yourself is the best way to decide. My opinion of Eller and his progression has been spot on for the past 2 years and change. Not synchronous with many people on the board, so a good argument for not basing it on fan bashing. I've seen Clowe play enough times to know that he'd be great. He's not the only option though and again, I wish we just got Raphy and Bourque back ASAP.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
habtastic

Quote:
This is actually a great reason!

Old
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Sorry, that laughing smilie really makes me angry.

In hindsight I agree with you. That 2006 draft looked like it had a few steals for the Habs as Maxwell and White dropped down the rankings when some had them projected in the 1st round. White was like a prime Brendan Morrow, in junior, haha.

I'm all for the Habs adding the right fit of players but not for anything future, I would hold on to every draft pick and not let the recent success curb the original plan.

Although I see one of the 2nd's being dealt now.......
That 2006 draft would had lead the habs to real Cup contenders right now. Habs picked up Fischer, Maxwell, White instead of... Giroux, Lucic, Marchand...

Old
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Tusk

Quote:
That 2006 draft would had lead the habs to real Cup contenders right now. Habs picked up Fischer, Maxwell, White instead of... Giroux, Lucic, Marchand...
Don't get me started, I was on the Giroux bandwagon BEFORE that draft. Great draft for the Bruins.

Anyway ........

Old
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
MarkersMark*

Nick Foligno
Chris Stewart

Weber and a pick for David or Ryan Jones.

Moen for a struggling Abdelkader. Maybe add something and go for a Kyle Clifford.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
bud12

Quote:
Some players showed up in very bad shape for the new, shortened season, physically and mentally. Cole is one of them. Clowe looked like one too.

They should had followed Selanne's and Koiviu's example, two vets who have put the pedal to the metal.

But if Clowe is really fading away and too pricy, SJ have also Adam Burish who can be interesting, and Winnipeg got Thornburn, two guys who can play physically on a 4th line. Jared Boll would be my favourite addition..
please god no And we could probably have Thornburn for nothing since goon Peluso is better at everything

Old
03-06-2013, 03:05 PM
DJ Breadman

Rumor on the main board is that bruins are after clowe

Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I agree with your assessment of Clowe (that he probably showed up out of shape) but what evidence do you have that he would be pricey? He seems like a good buy-low candidate. He's better than his current statline IMO (19GP, 0g6a) but at the same time, it means Wilson can't really ask for a huge return for him either.

I guarantee the Bruins are going to be driving hard for Clowe, and I'd absolutely hate to see them get him.

Closed Thread