HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet????

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Somewhere I read (sorry if it's been posted) that Oates makes an analogy to baseball in regards to the D and wingers. He asked "you never see a left handed shortstop do you"? Maybe not those exact words.
Yep. Friedman's 30 thoughts.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I'm not? Who am I then?
Pardon my fans...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Hockey ain't baseball.

How many right-handed defenseman were on the Caps SCF team?

Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

vCash: 50
0 but rest assured we have ALWAYS had more LH shots than Right, despite George's obsession = No cup! Alzner struggled there, so maybe there is some validity to Murray Oates Bruce and McPhee's concerns.

Poti Sarge Erskine Orlov Hammer are but only a recent list of guys used there.

The problem I have is George may try too hard to find that balance... spending 2nds on guys like Corvo and Wideman prove to be counter productive.

He needs to diversify and go for a RH defensive guy, since Green who is starting to fill that role, is injured again. Get some offense on that left side, so we won't be so damn predictable as we try to breakout, or up in the offensive zone.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

In theory, I like the idea of guys playing on their correct sides, being quicker to make the moves they need to etc.

If, in practice, it leads to them bringing in Joe Corvo rather than a useful NHL Dman? Rage.

Oleksy feels like he's been pushed up the depth chart because of it, but I don't care this season.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Was this posted so all could see?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...hot-topic.html

15. Had a terrific conversation with Oates last week about his dislike for players lining up on their off-wing. He is 100 per cent against it and explains why with an MLB analogy. "You look back through the history of baseball and every shortstop throws right. Why?" "Because it's too hard to make the throw left-handed," is the reply. "Right," he says. "How many plays won't be made because a left-handed shortstop isn't able to turn, get set and make the throw with strength or speed?" He believes the same theory applies to a winger on the wrong side.

16. One play he uses to illustrate this theory is Alex Burrows' 11-second overtime winner in Game 2 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

Watch Andrew Ference off the draw. "He takes two steps, is closed off and has no play," Oates said. He then pointed out something very interesting. Look at Boston's roster now: four left-shooting wings. Four right-shooting wings. Two right-shooting centres. Two left-shooting centres. Three right-shot defencemen. Three left-shot defencemen. (It's true, you can look it up.) That's going to be the blueprint in Washington.

17. Oates, again with a laugh, asked if he's requested GM George McPhee re-sign Mike Ribeiro: "Yes, and I think Alex [Ovechkin] has, too."

18. Final one from him, asked about his relationship with Ovechkin: "The one thing I made sure he'd know is that anything I told him would stay between us...Before I got here, he was guaranteed $100 million. He could easily have said, 'Go fly a kite.' But he's been great. I need this kid to trust me."

19. I relayed all of this stuff to someone, and he said to me, "You know how Ovechkin knows he can trust Oates? Because he never says once that Ovechkin's curve makes it very hard for him to play the left side."

Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Perhaps a set pattern of handedness makes for ease in knowing exactly where a guys stick blade will be. Interchangeable parts.

Try and do a line rush drill with 3 Rs and then 3 Lefts. Its ugly and you just rarely see it even tried in the NHL. There is a reason for it.

Mix them up proper and you see how much more fluid the passing shooting and skating is.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
In theory, I like the idea of guys playing on their correct sides, being quicker to make the moves they need to etc.

If, in practice, it leads to them bringing in Joe Corvo rather than a useful NHL Dman? Rage.

Oleksy feels like he's been pushed up the depth chart because of it, but I don't care this season.
Right.

If you're using the handedness preference to choose between two similarly talented draft prospect, trade targets, free agents, etc., then I have no problem with it.

If you're so dogmatic about it that you over-promote players, disregard skill sets, or force guys into situations where they under-perform, then it's moronic.

For instance, the whole Ovechkin switch would be absurdly moronic if we actually had a functioning Ovechkin. There's nothing on the left side, and some pretty solid depth on the right.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:02 PM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Given our lack of depth on LW, I am fine with Ovi lining up at LW. He has been driving down the LW quite a lot anyways, and its exactly what i wanted to see, a dynamic Ovi that will try and attack from anywhere. He has had strong rushes at RW so teams now really dont know where he is going to attack from.

But conversely, I think a guy like Fehr or Brouwer can move there as well.

I think George needs to get an offensive minded LD. Is it true, that due to an overall lack of RHD, that a lefty with decent offensive skills is usually the candidate to move, since he has a better stick? If so, that may help explain why it seems hard for George to land a solid all situation LD.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Pardon my fans...

Old
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Right.

If you're using the handedness preference to choose between two similarly talented draft prospect, trade targets, free agents, etc., then I have no problem with it.

If you're so dogmatic about it that you over-promote players, disregard skill sets, or force guys into situations where they under-perform, then it's moronic.

For instance, the whole Ovechkin switch would be absurdly moronic if we actually had a functioning Ovechkin. There's nothing on the left side, and some pretty solid depth on the right.
I'm just going to let NBTW be my spokesperson on this...

Old
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Right.

While I see the point you're making, I think all the worrying about this is entirely premature. Corvo has not been brought in. Orlov has not been demoted. Oleksy was brought up because of injuries and played well against a tough team, got a point, and threw a big hit. Kundratek has matured as the season has gone on.

There's not been any indication that I've seen that handedness is going to lead the coaching staff down some primrose path. They believe in it and are holding to it, but they haven't traded away the future to accommodate it. Rather, they've revitalized Erskine, given a rookie an opportunity to grow and be successful, and built a D corps that is improving almost game to game, all while having to ice 55 and 3.

So far so good as far as I can see. Just MHO.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:34 PM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Quote:
While I see the point you're making, I think all the worrying about this is entirely premature. Corvo has not been brought in. Orlov has not been demoted. Oleksy was brought up because of injuries and played well against a tough team, got a point, and threw a big hit. Kundratek has matured as the season has gone on.

There's not been any indication that I've seen that handedness is going to lead the coaching staff down some primrose path. They believe in it and are holding to it, but they haven't traded away the future to accommodate it. Rather, they've revitalized Erskine, given a rookie an opportunity to grow and be successful, and built a D corps that is improving almost game to game, all while having to ice 55 and 3.

So far so good as far as I can see. Just MHO.
I'm just going to let the cool cat CCF be my spokesperson on this...

For now

Old
03-06-2013, 06:37 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I'm just going to let the cool cat CCF be my spokesperson on this...

For now
I've been told CCF is someone else. Need a new nickname I guess.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Halpysback*

What is the last time a properly handed team won a cup?

Old
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Was this posted so all could see?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...hot-topic.html

15. Had a terrific conversation with Oates last week about his dislike for players lining up on their off-wing. He is 100 per cent against it and explains why with an MLB analogy. "You look back through the history of baseball and every shortstop throws right. Why?" "Because it's too hard to make the throw left-handed," is the reply. "Right," he says. "How many plays won't be made because a left-handed shortstop isn't able to turn, get set and make the throw with strength or speed?" He believes the same theory applies to a winger on the wrong side.
Hall of Famer Willie Keeler (aka Wee Willie) was a lefty who played short stop... and quite well, too. And, there are others.

I just happened to finish 2 books on the life of Ty Cobb and 1 on Babe Ruth, and that fact is in Alexander's book on Cobb, I believe.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Hall of Famer Willie Keeler (aka Wee Willie) was a lefty who played short stop... and quite well, too. And, there are others.

I just happened to finish 2 books on the life of Ty Cobb and 1 on Babe Ruth, and that fact is in Alexander's book on Cobb, I believe.
You should email Oates.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
BTCG

Quote:
I've been told CCF is someone else. Need a new nickname I guess.
Easy to tell you two apart: you're the one who makes sense.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Easy to tell you two apart: you're the one who makes sense.
aww shucks...

Old
03-06-2013, 07:17 PM
BTCG

Quote:
You should email Oates.
I had a occasion to listen to a radio program a few years back whose host claimed that baseball was the only sport who had not changed their playing area in any way since the days of Cobb.

I called his producer and told him:

1- in 1969, a couple of stadiums that had pitching clocks (you had only so many seconds allowed between pitches when you played in these stadiums) were ordered to remove them (I think that one was 1969, could be wrong on the year, but they were removed).

-and-

2- In 1969, the height of the pitcher's mound was lowered... taking with it a huge advantage for the pitchers.

The producer became angry: guess he didn't want to admit they were wrong.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:21 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
I had a occasion to listen to a radio program a few years back whose host claimed that baseball was the only sport who had not changed their playing area in any way since the days of Cobb.

I called his producer and told him:

1- in 1969, a couple of stadiums that had pitching clocks (you had only so many seconds allowed between pitches when you played in these stadiums) were ordered to remove them (I think that one was 1969, could be wrong on the year, but they were removed).

-and-

2- In 1969, the height of the pitcher's mound was lowered... taking with it a huge advantage for the pitchers.

The producer became angry: guess he didn't want to admit they were wrong.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
aww shucks...

That'd be superfan #2....again apologies...it gets a bit tedious.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:24 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Hockey ain't baseball.

How many right-handed defenseman were on the Caps SCF team?
That team had no business being in the finals. I'm glad they were but playing the Bruins, Sens and Sabres was an ideal situation for the Caps and we all know the only reason they were there was Olie.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:14 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Clearly its not just me George and the Caps that are cognizant of balance

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
Agreed. RT“@jdmd94: @GlobeKPD Ference would be my odd man out, way too many turnovers, not physical enough. Downside lose LH/RH balance”

Old
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

Anyone else seeing the Oates offense coming to fruition? No, it has nothing to do with scoring 7 goals last night.

The forward skating in with the puck is not driving blindly north. He is often peeling back or slowing down and looking to pass. We are becoming a passing team. And its not just Ribs but when George gives you Ribs and Nick, its obvious how we have to score. With Oates Mr Dish himself as coach, it's no surprise.

More easily seen are players simply driving the net. In swarms. Even diminutive MP last night drove at the D, cuts inside and scores. Fehr the game before driving down the slot straight at the G like a ****ing stud. Ovi and his 3 G plows are well documented. Hendricks is in front of the net like never before. Wolski has potted 2 right in front and had another wiz by his head (Kunds). Ribs a passer is often near the goal himself for easy tap ins. When the passers are getting easy tap ins, watch out.

Even the defensemen have turned very active in recent games, Erskine last night led the rush on the opening goal. The Dmen are cranking shots and guys are driving the net. Its such a simple offense I can't believe it takes 25 games to learn it.

Way to go Oates, this type of offense is not as easily defended because teams now do not know we are headed north and north only.

Closed Thread