HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Destin and Ft Walton Beach are absolutely gorgeous. Lots of good seafood as well. I understand there is a lot of good golfing there as well but that isn't my thing.

I'd like to do a Savannah/Brunswick Island trip, not sure if that is in the cards anytime soon.
Savannah is awesome. Definitely make it there one day, maybe hit up Hilton Head for a few days too if you have kids. Savannah is definitely an underrated drinking town. At night, a ton of fun can be had, and it's with an older crowd and not a bunch of dumb ass college students running around acting like idiots. That's not to say I don't like to just let loose like no other, but that's better suited for a place like Nashville or New Orleans... where falling flat on your face in the middle of the street is acceptable.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Meh on the Spanish. Who doesn't love Italian?
For international cuisine I'd rank my favorites as follows.

1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Spanish
4. French
5. Greek

Not a huge fan of any of the East Asian or Indian cuisines.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't think a lot of people have had good, true Spanish cooking. It's incredible, but difficult to find.
Most people find good Spanish, Mexican, and other culture-inspired food to be Taco Bell. There is a terrible Taco Bell obsession in this country. It's from about 16 to 25.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
RayP

Quote:
Guilty. I like and have had great Polenta, but I'm just not a big wine guy. I'd much rather a cold beer or a jack and coke.
You can still enjoy Spanish cooking without enjoying wine. If you like real Italian food, you'd love Spanish food. I'm not talking the kind of Italian food that has a gallon of red sauce poured over everything. I'm talking the kind of Italian food that is light, seafood heavy, with lots of olive oil. I don't think we had any red meat the entire time we were in Italy. One restaurant owner told us the red meat sold there is awful, actually, and is one of the reasons it's never been big into their cooking. He said even a good filet mignon out there is going to be like chewing on gum.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:

1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Spanish
4. French
5. Greek

I like Italian, but I think it gets overrated. Definitely not tops on my list.

1. Spanish
2. Middle-Eastern
3. French
4. Caribbean
5. Italian

Old
Cullksinikers

Being Italian is a privilege. I get wicked meals all the time.

Old
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Savannah is awesome. Definitely make it there one day, maybe hit up Hilton Head for a few days too if you have kids. Savannah is definitely an underrated drinking town. At night, a ton of fun can be had, and it's with an older crowd and not a bunch of dumb ass college students running around acting like idiots. That's not to say I don't like to just let loose like no other, but that's better suited for a place like Nashville or New Orleans... where falling flat on your face in the middle of the street is acceptable.
Nashville is a great party town. Think I may be hitting up NO this summer for a bachelor party. So done with Vegas bachelor parties.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Most people find good Spanish, Mexican, and other culture-inspired food to be Taco Bell. There is a terrible Taco Bell obsession in this country. It's from about 16 to 25.
Including you. And me at 3 AM piss drunk.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
I work in a very hispanic area with great authentic Mexican. Love it. We routinely go to Don Rafa's after work for Carnita's and a margarita or three.

Taco Bell, as far as cheap fast food goes, crushes everything else.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
RayP

Quote:

1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Spanish
4. French
5. Greek

I would love one day to go to Greece just for the food. They have some downright dirty and disgusting dishes, that sound absolutely amazing. I would kill to get some real Greek made Haggis just to try.

Quote:
Taco Bell couldn't be more of an opposite from Spanish cuisine. It might be similar in theory to Mexican, kind of, but there is nothing Spanish in Taco Bell menus, ever.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:07 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
You can still enjoy Spanish cooking without enjoying wine. If you like real Italian food, you'd love Spanish food. I'm not talking the kind of Italian food that has a gallon of red sauce poured over everything. I'm talking the kind of Italian food that is light, seafood heavy, with lots of olive oil. I don't think we had any red meat the entire time we were in Italy. One restaurant owner told us the red meat sold there is awful, actually, and is one of the reasons it's never been big into their cooking. He said even a good filet mignon out there is going to be like chewing on gum.
I love Italian. Mussels in clam sauce and anti-pasta? Yess'm.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
I would love one day to go to Greece just for the food. They have some downright dirty and disgusting dishes, that sound absolutely amazing. I would kill to get some real Greek made Haggis just to try.

Taco Bell couldn't be more of an opposite from Spanish cuisine. It might be similar in theory to Mexican, kind of, but there is nothing Spanish in Taco Bell menus, ever.
But, but, the Cantina Bowl.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Taco Bell is cheap Tex-Mex through and through.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
RayP

Quote:
Nashville is a great party town. Think I may be hitting up NO this summer for a bachelor party. So done with Vegas bachelor parties.
I still haven't hit up New Orleans, but I think this is the summer I'll finally make it. Reminds me of a drinking game my buddy played down there, details are extremely fuzzy right now... but it was golf themed, with 18 holes. IIRC, I want to say X bar is a par 4. You have to have 4 drinks to par it while there, 5 for a birdie, or 3 for a bogie... You know, like that. Pretty sure he said none of them made it to the 18th hole.

Man, it will soon be a great last 12 months of traveling, starting back in last September. NYC, Chicago, Miami, Cozumel, Rome, Venice, Florence, Nashville, Charlotte, and hopefully New Orleans.

Quote:
Being Italian is a privilege. I get wicked meals all the time.
My grandmother moved to the States from Sicily. She cooks great food, but also can't get a lot of the ingredients she grew up, so what she can do is restricted a lot of the time.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
RayP

Quote:
I love Italian. Mussels in clam sauce and anti-pasta? Yess'm.
If you like dishes like that, then you'd like Spanish cooking. Look for a Spanish tapas place by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
But, but, the Cantina Bowl.

Taco Bell was always the one fastfood place I hated, even when I didn't care about my diet and would eat fastfood regularly. Then again, like DHF mentioned, I was always in an area with a huge Mexican population and had the real stuff easily, and cheaply, accessible.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

My favorite bar has free Golden Tee if you're a regular. We are. I'm usually great until the tenth hole. That's about when the fifth pint kicks in.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
One of the few reasons I still enjoy living at 55th and Pulaski is the abundance of great authentic Mexican food.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
One of the few reasons I still enjoy living at 55th and Pulaski is the abundance of great authentic Mexican food.
Amen to that, work in the barrio, love that ****. Nothing compares in the burbs.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
My favorite bar has free Golden Tee if you're a regular. We are. I'm usually great until the tenth hole. That's about when the fifth pint kicks in.
Free Golden Tee?

I'm moving. Need a roommate? That is the greatest game ever.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

For anyone looking for real Mexican food in the city, go to Don Rafa's on 50thish and Kedzie. Go early. Like noon early. It's in the hood, but their Carnita's and Menudo with a few cerveza's? It made the doubles tolerable.

My favorite restaurant is Chuck's Southern Cafe on 79th. Get the pulled pork nacho's. Trust me. Out. STANDING.

This thread is making me hungry.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
For anyone looking for real Mexican food in the city, go to Don Rafa's on 50thish and Kedzie. Go early. Like noon early. It's in the hood, but their Carnita's and Menudo with a few cerveza's? It made the doubles tolerable.

My favorite restaurant is Chuck's Southern Cafe on 79th. Get the pulled pork nacho's. Trust me. Out. STANDING.

This thread is making me hungry.
I've been to both places and they are amazing. I'm going home for spring break on Friday and will be gorging myself over the next week at the various eating establishments.

RayP and I are currently in the process of planning to have me mail him some Nick n Vito's.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Amen to that, work in the barrio, love that ****. Nothing compares in the burbs.
Work at Mercy? Pass the building every day on my way to work.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Cullksinikers

Even though I hate the Sox, I love a pre-game meal of 35th Street Red Hots.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Blue Liner

I'm a pretty big fan of Carbon Mexican Grill in Bridgeport. Yeah, it might not be "authentic" Mexican food but it's some of the best I've ever had in the city. Everything's made over an open-fire grill and their steak is some of the best I've ever had. Flavor is off the charts. Chicken is great, too.

I, too, am getting hungry.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:20 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
I've been to both places and they are amazing. I'm going home for spring break on Friday and will be gorging myself over the next week at the various eating establishments.

RayP and I are currently in the process of planning to have me mail him some Nick n Vito's.
I always wondered how people started calling Vito & Nicks, Nick & Vito's. damn good pizza though

Closed Thread