Old
03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Are any of those even Cap teams?

NYI are horrible because they never spend money, they are basically a Farm team. Ditto the Thrashers (now they can spend to the cap with the move to the Peg).

What you are failing to see is that the Talent level in the Top 5 is far superior to that in the 20-30 range. Drafting top 5 gives you a MUCH MUCH better chance at getting a legit star player. How many superstars are drafted outside of the top 5? Pretty rare considering, And even then, how many of those rare players were drafted 20-30? i would say even less.

Drafting high almost always gets you good players, its just what you do with them after that matters (ie, dont bring in your young guys and play them on the 4th line ala Calgary/NYI).
Ya Tampa must have been insane putting Stamkos on their 4th line for his first season, sure did ruin him, if they would have rushed him in to a position he wasn't ready for he would be much better now.. Seriously though, Spending a season or two to develop a players all around game instead of creating a fully one dimensional player by only developing their offensive game is a little silly, Sven would have been lost in the top 6 with everyone on the team learning a new system, now that they know it, you can put him up there and give him a significantly larger chance to succeed.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
The Gnome

I would trade kipper, iggy and cammy this year.

This team is not a PO team. We need more size and strength down the middle to Truly compete.

Oh, and better bottom pairing defensemen.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post

This team is not a PO team. We need more size and strength down the middle to Truly compete.

I can't see us ever trading iginla. He's too close to management. So unless King is gone, Iginla won't be either.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:

I would move Gio before Cammy. I think Gio has a higher value around the league and Cammy is a leader in the locker room he would be a great captain once Iggy is gone.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
MarkGio

Sorry Stewie, I meant to reply to your post, not edit it.

Anyways anyone could've made the Flames a money maker in this Economy and with this dollar, let alone King. He's the guy ultimately running the show during this club's failures

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
I disagree. The Hurricanes or the Ducks were not much better than we are in the seasons they won the cup. Plus ducks got better immediately when the signed Niedermayer in the off season two years before and traded for Pronger. Before this point no one really considered the Ducks to be a contender.

All it takes for the Flames is one or two good trades / signings plus continued development from Backlund and Brodie and we could be the next Stanley cup champions.
You do realize that team had:

A. Two first ballot hall of fame defensemen, one being a four time cup winner and the other helping drag significantly weaker teams to the finals.
B. A goalie who won the Conn Smyth despite losing
C. One of the greatest scorers of all time in Selanne
D. A first line center in Andy McDonald (Something we still don't have)
E. Up and coming Getzlaf and Perry, plus a good Dustin Penner
F. The greatest shutdown line seen in the playoffs in probably the last decade+

So potentially we have B, though at his age its unlikely for Kipper. C yeah sure, but again, age is a factor. We're lacking the rest completely.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
I can't see us ever trading iginla. He's too close to management. So unless King is gone, Iginla won't be either.
Agreed. It's just what I ideally would do.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I would move Gio before Cammy. I think Gio has a higher value around the league and Cammy is a leader in the locker room he would be a great captain once Iggy is gone.
I would only move gio over cammy if the return was massive. Cammy is a one dimensional player, while gio is not. Gio is also signed to a great contract.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I would only move gio over cammy if the return was massive. Cammy is a one dimensional player, while gio is not. Gio is also signed to a great contract.
Gio doesn't fit in in this system. Having seen that the Canes fans would offer Mcbain + Rask for him I would move him in a second. Cammy has been very good outside of his first 5 games he like Iginla are making some great passes even when they aren't scoring they are creating something, Gio has been one of our worst defensemen so far.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Ya Tampa must have been insane putting Stamkos on their 4th line for his first season, sure did ruin him, if they would have rushed him in to a position he wasn't ready for he would be much better now.. Seriously though, Spending a season or two to develop a players all around game instead of creating a fully one dimensional player by only developing their offensive game is a little silly, Sven would have been lost in the top 6 with everyone on the team learning a new system, now that they know it, you can put him up there and give him a significantly larger chance to succeed.
You realize that that was part of the reason why Melrose was fired, right? His handling of Stamkos was almost universally panned.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
He hasn't signed an extension and there are no plans to even discuss one until the off season.

The writing's on the wall and it's not hard to read.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
He hasn't signed an extension and there are no plans to even discuss one until the off season.

I still think that he won't leave as an FA. They will most likely discuss an extension at seasons end if they do extent iginla

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You realize that that was part of the reason why Melrose was fired, right? His handling of Stamkos was almost universally panned.
Many teams limit their rookies ice, he is playing with skill just not getting a ton of ice time. Other rookies that have similar time on ice are
Grigorenko, Dalpe, Tatar, Nyquist, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Kreider, Zibanejad, Da Costa, etc

Not all rookies are the same, personally the way we used Sven last game is the way I think we should

Old
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
I still think that he won't leave as an FA. They will most likely discuss an extension at seasons end if they do extent iginla
If he isn't signed to an extension by the trade deadline, he's as good as gone (via trade) IMO.

He may very well re-sign here in the summer, but there are no guarantees in that regard.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Many teams limit their rookies ice, he is playing with skill just not getting a ton of ice time. Other rookies that have similar time on ice are
Grigorenko, Dalpe, Tatar, Nyquist, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Kreider, Zibanejad, Da Costa, etc

Not all rookies are the same, personally the way we used Sven last game is the way I think we should
I know, it's just that that specific example was a poor one. A much better one would have been Seguin, who primarily played on the 4th line in his first year with the Bruins and was even a healthy scratch at times.

Baertschi on the 3rd line with skill and getting somewhere around 13-15 minutes a night is perfectly acceptable. Baertschi on the 4th playing with Comeau and Begin and getting less than 10 minutes a night? Not so much. Thankfully, Hartley isn't Sutter and Baertschi isn't getting the Backlund treatment thus far.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Flames92

Quote:
I know, it's just that that specific example was a poor one. A much better one would have been Seguin, who primarily played on the 4th line in his first year with the Bruins and was even a healthy scratch at times.

Baertschi on the 3rd line with skill and getting somewhere around 13-15 minutes a night is perfectly acceptable. Baertschi on the 4th playing with Comeau and Begin and getting less than 10 minutes a night? Not so much. Thankfully, Hartley isn't Sutter and Baertschi isn't getting the Backlund treatment thus far.
He very well could be once Backlund comes back. We'll be back to the same issue that we had at the beggining of the season with 10 top 9 forwards. At this point if we're out of it either send Baertschi to the AHL and call him back up at the deadline when someone like Stemps or Iggy gets traded or shove him back on the fourth line. Im hoping Hartley goes with the first option.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
He very well could be once Backlund comes back. We'll be back to the same issue that we had at the beggining of the season with 10 top 9 forwards. At this point if we're out of it either send Baertschi to the AHL and call him back up at the deadline when someone like Stemps or Iggy gets traded or shove him back on the fourth line. Im hoping Hartley goes with the first option.
Absolutely. If they can't find a consistent spot for Baertschi in the top-9, then it's far better to send him down and let him dominate the AHL, as opposed to playing 8 minutes a night or sitting in the press box in the NHL.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
These issues could be pretty easily solved is we move Comeau + Stempniak (whos value should be at its highest right now).

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
These issues could be pretty easily solved is we move Comeau + Stempniak (whos value should be at its highest right now).
Yep, but if we are to trade Stemps it would be because we don't have much of a chance of making the playoffs and to know that we'll have to wait till the deadline. So assuming we have a healthy line-up 2 weeks before the deadline, its probably better that Baerstchi gets sent down instead of getting 4th line minutes.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
I'd rather keep Stempniak to be honest.

Mind you I don't want a full tear down, blow up rebuild either.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Quote:

Indeed. It's plainly now (by april 4) or never to trade Iginla. I really don't care what they get back for him, I just want to see him win the cup with Pittsburgh or Boston or somebody out east. They could get a 1st round draft pick and a player in exchange, but who cares? Big deal. It doesn't make the team more exciting to me. As long as they don't get fleeced, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference in the team going forward. A team can hit a home run with any draft pick in any round.
If they are clearly out of it in the last week before the deadline then I wish they would trade him, for his sake.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
MckenziesTimbits
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Detroit also has an outstanding history of drafting well, not only in the 1st round but late in the draft as well.

Something that Calgary (and most other teams) don't quite have.

So Detroit is a poor example.
Detroit also has an easier time signing free agents.

MckenziesTimbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Yep, but if we are to trade Stemps it would be because we don't have much of a chance of making the playoffs and to know that we'll have to wait till the deadline. So assuming we have a healthy line-up 2 weeks before the deadline, its probably better that Baerstchi gets sent down instead of getting 4th line minutes.
Stemps will cool off soon, best to move him now, Baertschi can easily replace his minutes. Id like to have a 2nd in this draft as well and Stamps can get us that.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Stemps will cool off soon, best to move him now, Baertschi can easily replace his minutes. Id like to have a 2nd in this draft as well and Stamps can get us that.
Absolutely. Thats good asset management.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Flames92

Quote:
If i had to guess, i dont think they will move him at the deadline as they might wana keep him if theyre in the playoff hunt. I wouldnt rule out a trade at the draft though