HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Yeah, we've really been getting into Korean. It's probably my favorite Asian cuisine. I love sushi, but hate hibachi. Hibachi is just so ****ing cheesy if you ask me.... And of course that means that is one of the in laws favorite things to do, so we go way too often. It blows.
Korean is quickly on the rise in my family. My dad has been adding kimchi to almost every lunch he's made for the past three months at least, and you couldn't pay me not to eat a bowl of bibimbap.

Hibachi restaurants are lame, but take a tiny hibachi out on a sailboat and it's amazing.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
A gyro plate from Rosie's is enough to feed me and my 6'5" 280 lb brother. It's at least a pound and a half of meat with a pound of fries and six pita's.
Sounds a lot like what I am takling about, would love to try it sometime.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
#Uppermiddleclassproblems

Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Checker's looks like a Steak 'n Shake clone.

Steak 'n Shake is the biggest ripoff ever. Paper-thin patties, man.
I could be wrong, but I think Checkers was around WAY before Steak 'n Shake. I know that Checkers was gone before S'nS even became popular around Chicago.

I also spent 26 hours in a steak n shake when I was two after my parents had to get off the highway in a blizzard in middle of nowhere Indiana or so I'm told.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think Checkers was around WAY before Steak 'n Shake. I know that Checkers was gone before S'nS even became popular around Chicago.

I also spent 26 hours in a steak n shake when I was two after my parents had to get off the highway in a blizzard in middle of nowhere Indiana or so I'm told.
Well, I am not familiar with it, so they look like the same place. Not sure who "copied" who, though.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
RayP

Red Lobster is garbage, and it's not even that cheap really. Pretty sure they don't serve shrimp, but serve shrimp shaped pieces of plastic.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Unlimited shrimp at Red Lobster. Oh, man, I love seafood.

I once knocked out 150 shrimp scampi for $15.
Yeah, I always hit up endless shrimp once a year. Actually just ate a pound of fried shrimp (bigger and better quality) from a little shack in the hood, good eating. I'm probably skipping dinner tonight.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Unlimited shrimp at Red Lobster. Oh, man, I love seafood.

I once knocked out 150 shrimp scampi for $15.
Before or after shooting up your roids? I hear they make you hungry.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Red Lobster is garbage, and it's not even that cheap really. Pretty sure they don't serve shrimp, but serve shrimp shaped pieces of plastic.
One of the worst food posts I've seen.

Carrabba's and Red Lobster have the best shrimp scampi.

However, the best shrimp scampi I ever had was at Fishermen's Grotto at Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco. It was incredible.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
It's like the fast food of shrimp but seafood is pretty down in this area so you don't have a lot of options. Best places are the little hole in the wall places and even those are only in the poor areas (which is weird but it is that way).

Old
DisgruntledHawkFan

I've honestly never been to Red Lobster. Seafood restaurants around here are very iffy, and I certainly wouldn't trust a chain.

Old
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Before or after shooting up your roids? I hear they make you hungry.

HGH!

Old
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Korean is quickly on the rise in my family. My dad has been adding kimchi to almost every lunch he's made for the past three months at least, and you couldn't pay me not to eat a bowl of bibimbap.

Hibachi restaurants are lame, but take a tiny hibachi out on a sailboat and it's amazing.
Where you getting the kimchi from? I got some from my regular grocery store, and it was awful. Went to an Asian grocery store, and it's ****ing incredible, and cheaper. What blows my mind with the Korean food is how cheap it is, yet how much they give you. I also love that they don't stuff you up with grains and crap, but actually fill you up with protein and the good stuff.

One thing that was odd, was with the vegetable plate they brought out, there was a diced up hotdog in it. Not really sure what the hell was up with that, but alrighty then... Asked the server, and what we believe was the owner, but they spoke pretty much no English and responded with "thank you" and bowed when we asked why they put a hotdog in it.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Cullksinikers

Well, it's time to drive home.

It's been a pleasure talking grub.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:

However, the best shrimp scampi I ever had was at Fishermen's Grotto at Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco. It was incredible.
Shrimp doesn't travel well. Anything around this area is frozen. Luckily it does freeze well.

The guy that lives next to the ocean can crap all over our seafood chain restaurants

Old
RayP

Quote:

What's next... Olive Garden is good Italian food? Dude, Red Lobster blows... if you think that's good seafood, then you haven't had good seafood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's like the fast food of shrimp but seafood is pretty down in this area so you don't have a lot of options. Best places are the little hole in the wall places and even those are only in the poor areas (which is weird but it is that way).
That's true... that, and Chicagoans just don't eat a lot of seafood. That's a meat and potatoes town if I've ever seen one.

Quote:
I've honestly never been to Red Lobster. Seafood restaurants around here are very iffy, and I certainly wouldn't trust a chain.
Actually, I might be more inclined to trust a chain up by you guys... because at least you know all their food is frozen and coming from one of their warehouses.

Old
digdug41982

Quote:
Shrimp doesn't travel well. Anything around this area is frozen. Luckily it does freeze well.

The guy that lives next to the ocean can crap all over our seafood chain restaurants
Yeah, another reason to move to a sunny place by the beach, seafood.

Old
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
And EVERYTHING is fried.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
And EVERYTHING is fried.
Oh yeah, that's a given for sure. I know a few awesome places but like you said, it's all fried but I will take what I can get, it's my favorite food.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
What's next... Olive Garden is good Italian food? Dude, Red Lobster blows... if you think that's good seafood, then you haven't had good seafood.

That's true... that, and Chicagoans just don't eat a lot of seafood. That's a meat and potatoes town if I've ever seen one.

Actually, I might be more inclined to trust a chain up by you guys... because at least you know all their food is frozen and coming from one of their warehouses.
I was a butcher/fish monger at Jewel for two years. Any place that doesn't have fresh shrimp within a 100 miles more than likely/should use frozen shrimp.

Also, perch is the worst smelling fish. Seriously, it starts to REEK two days before it goes bad.

Edit: Not that anyone cares

Old
03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's a given for sure. I know a few awesome places but like you said, it's all fried but I will take what I can get, it's my favorite food.
Wagner's on 96th Pulaski has great fresh fish and they fry it/grill it to order. That does mean it takes 20+ minutes for an order though, but the quality makes up for it. Expensive though.

Seriously, I'm getting some take out for the game tonight.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Yeah, it's sad too because I am nothing like that and I am sure a lot of you guys are the same. Maybe it will change, doubt it though. More likely than not, the little shrimp shacks will close down and we'll all be ****ed out of our shrimp entirely.

That's fine, I'll go to DiCola's on Western and cook the little mother****er's myself, or have them do it, either way. Love that place.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Where you getting the kimchi from? I got some from my regular grocery store, and it was awful. Went to an Asian grocery store, and it's ****ing incredible, and cheaper. What blows my mind with the Korean food is how cheap it is, yet how much they give you. I also love that they don't stuff you up with grains and crap, but actually fill you up with protein and the good stuff.

One thing that was odd, was with the vegetable plate they brought out, there was a diced up hotdog in it. Not really sure what the hell was up with that, but alrighty then... Asked the server, and what we believe was the owner, but they spoke pretty much no English and responded with "thank you" and bowed when we asked why they put a hotdog in it.
My dad lives in Evanston, so he usually takes a trip up to Touhy and Lehigh to go to Fresh Farms for his kimchi. I can't really vouch for its quality, but I do know he always has a giant jar of it in the fridge.

Another thing we were surprised to find at Fresh Farms, a Romanian spread called zacusca. My girlfriend's Romanian, and her mom makes zacusca pretty often. When the GF met the family, she brought some two jars of her mom's stuff, and they were both gone within days. Finding it at Fresh Farms saved us a lot of trouble in trying to get it from just over the Canadian border.

Can't help with owners who don't speak English though. That sucks.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
RayP

Quote:
I was a butcher/fish monger at Jewel for two years. Any place that doesn't have fresh shrimp within a 100 miles more than likely/should use frozen shrimp.

Also, perch is the worst smelling fish. Seriously, it starts to REEK two days before it goes bad.

Yeah, it's a shame you guys can't get good shrimp or good crawfish. There isn't anything better than pulling up the sleeves, and getting dirty with some crawfish and others in a low country boil. Crawfish, crab legs, andouille sausage, shrimp, clams, corn, potatoes, and just dump it all on some newspapers and get at it.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

I terrified of cooking fish (even though its my favorite meat) because I'm paranoid about its freshness, so I definitely care.

Closed Thread