HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnny Flippin' Oduya

Old
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
HawkeyLife07

vCash: 500
Johnny Flippin' Oduya

He looks like Lenny Kravitz, but instead of covering one-hit wonders, he's covering the blue line for the best team in the NHL. Johnny Oduya came to this team at last year's trade deadline and many were skeptical, like myself. The general consesus was the team needed to get bigger and tougher. But, you can't hit the other team when the puck is always on your stick.

"Johnny O" decided to wear the number 27 on the back of the best sweater in hockey, making Jeremy Morin irritated and Jeremy Roenick well, who knows, it's JR. Either way the current #27 on the Blackhawks has made quite the impact.

Chicago has 2 more wins than his number 27 since he joined last year (29).

You'd have to add the team's losses and overtime losses in that span together and multiply them by three in order to equal 27.

29-2-7. The Chicago Blackhawks regulation record with Oduya.

--

Johnny Oduya's one-year anniversary with the team was on the 27th (look at that) of February. Yet, they have as many regulation losses as I have... eyes, since that time.

A shaky playoff series with the Phoenix Coyotes is what worried people when Stan Bowman decided to re-sign Oduya for three more years. They weren't sure which player was going to show up for the following season. Then, nobody showed up for the following season, at least not in hockey equipment. But, the lockout (hey, remember that?) finally ended and Oduya took very little time to "show up".

He's not the only thing showing "up". His plus/minus rating is +10 and tied for the best on the Blackhawks squad (with three others).

And, oh yeah, he makes saves too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rue4ElwLnhc

--

If you're playing NHL 13, just trade Oduya. This bum doesn't even have a goal for us this year.

If you're a fan of real hockey and the streak our team is on, you don't care that he doesn't provide much on the scoresheet for the second highest scoring team in the Western Conference.

The Blackhawks have played 22 games and 9 teams in the conference have played less (21 or 20). Yet, they still boast the lowest goals against total with 41. The second closest team being San Jose with 44. They've played 20 games.

--

This impressive number may be influenced largely by the improved play of Niklas Hjalmarsson. The Swedish defenseman hadn't looked himself since the departure of Brian Campbell. Being paired with Nick Leddy for parts of last year didn't seem to work out quite well. Now, paired with Oduya for the majority of this season, Hjalmarsson is impressing people again. It's almost like by acquiring Oduya, we were also acquiring an improved #3 defenseman in Hjalmarsson. There are even nights these two lead the team in ice-time. Go double-check, but Keith and Seabrook are both healthy and playing. This contribution will pay off for himself, the team, the goalies, and the health and fatigue of our star blueliners.

--

This guy has brought as much spark to the team as his name has cheesy puns to sports writers. Oduya not think so? Well that's just 2 (regulation losses in 38 games) bad for you.

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
vegasvic

Gotta love the Flying Farang

vegasvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He's been great

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
Gotta love the Flying Farang
They have a web site...

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Hawkaholic

Glad we traded a 2nd and 3rd for him, he's helped turn this team around.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Blue Liner

Meh, he's soft. Damn everything else he does well.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Meh, he's soft. Damn everything else he does well.
Embrace the soft. The Hawks are modeling the d after Detroit. Puck possession mobile d men. Leba, Rafalski, (in their prime) the list goes on. Not going to acquire a big mobile d man with puck skills. Those are usually lotto picks. The guys with size are usually stiffs.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
jaysoneil

Alright, where's the Odoodoo guy at. He's going to love this thread.

Before he speaks though, Oduya did have a poor playoff performance last year. BUT, he was still new to the team, AND if I remember correctly, there were also a few others just as bad against Phoenix than just Oduya. Doh, I mean, Odoodoo.

Come at me Oduya haters!

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Embrace the soft. The Hawks are modeling the d after Detroit. Puck possession mobile d men. Leba, Rafalski, (in their prime) the list goes on. Not going to acquire a big mobile d man with puck skills. Those are usually lotto picks. The guys with size are usually stiffs.
I was being very sarcastic.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
I was being very sarcastic.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Blue Liner

I would argue d-men with size being stiffs, but I get your point. Stanton turning out to be a solid NHL'er would be fantastic. Be nice to have one good-sized physical d-man other than Seabrook to complement the rest of the core, but I like what we have going no doubt.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Guy rules. What else can I say?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Cullksinikers

"I think the Johnny Oduya acquisition by Stan Bowman was a wonderful addition to this club."

"Oduya think so, Pat?"

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Hey quick question, has he just being good lately, or the whole year so far. I remember when you guys re-signed him a lot of ppl didn't like him.

Only asking because someone mentioned that Habs current GM Marc Bergevin, who was your ast GM last year, was the one that insist on getting him.

Also if you don't mind, how has Andrew Shaw been, he is another guy I've heard Bergevin insisted drafting

Thanks in advance.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Hey quick question, has he just being good lately, or the whole year so far. I remember when you guys re-signed him a lot of ppl didn't like him.

Only asking because someone mentioned that Habs current GM Marc Bergevin, who was your ast GM last year, was the one that insist on getting him.

Also if you don't mind, how has Andrew Shaw been, he is another guy I've heard Bergevin insisted drafting

Thanks in advance.
He's been good this whole season. Been a welcome addition.

Shaw had a bit of a rough start with the Hawks this season but has been very good since, as has been his whole line. They're a big catalyst behind this team's success right now.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

I thought Oduya had a bad game or two to start the year, but I've always been in his corner and he very well may be the single most underrated guy on the roster.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
He's been good this whole season. Been a welcome addition.

Shaw had a bit of a rough start with the Hawks this season but has been very good since, as has been his whole line. They're a big catalyst behind this team's success right now.
Thanks

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Oduya's played well, no complaints, but I think he said it best himself yesterday "It's not hard to be a good player on a team like this" Then he went to talk about how he thinks he can do more by jumping up in the play. No, no, we don't need that, but I have no worries, these guys are listening to their coach and playing the system until he tells them to do otherwise. Let's hope everyone keeps playing the way they have.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Oduya is yet another hard to define player. He's a stay at home puck mover.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

He still turns it over occasionally when pressed, and likely never will be physical around our net but does have a pretty good stick and his play has improved since some spotty performances early in the season. He often executes that all important first pass to clear the defensive zone - Hammer and he are playing well together.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Cullksinikers

Oduya is normally good for us, but he took a lot of heat for having a sub-par playoff series.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Originally I didnt like Stan giving up a 2nd and 3rd rd draft pick this year considering pre-draft expectations of the depth in this years draft. Now the draft may not be that deep. Who knows.

I wouldnt be half wrong in that Oduya alone wouldnt solve the hole on d. However the further additions of veterans in Rosival and Brookbank all combined solidified the d like no one could have imagined. The combination of all the d additions appear to have made up for the loss of Campbell who left a huge hole in the Hawks d.

Shaw has been great. Rough start but provides a lot of sandpaper in his game, something which the Hawks are short on. Combining with Bickell and Stalberg has created a dangerous third line as of late. Could be one of the best third lines in the league right now.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Brookbank has been average at best. Rozi's been amazing. Oduya isn't physical around the net in the traditional sense, but like Hammer, he throws his body in front of point blank slappers without hesitation.

It leads me to believe his turnovers are caused by him over thinking and rushing due too the pressure, not by being scared of contact. You don't sacrifice your body the way he does if you're afraid of getting hurt.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
LandofLincoln*

Quote:
I would argue d-men with size being stiffs, but I get your point. Stanton turning out to be a solid NHL'er would be fantastic. Be nice to have one good-sized physical d-man other than Seabrook to complement the rest of the core, but I like what we have going no doubt.
Stephen Johns isn't that far away maybe another year or 1 1/2 years.

LandofLincoln* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Brookbank has been average at best. Rozi's been amazing. Oduya isn't physical around the net in the traditional sense, but like Hammer, he throws his body in front of point blank slappers without hesitation.

It leads me to believe his turnovers are caused by him over thinking and rushing due too the pressure, not by being scared of contact. You don't sacrifice your body the way he does if you're afraid of getting hurt.
Id start Rozival every time but Brookbank gives the Hawks soild insurance on the blue line as a good 6-7. Upgrade from what they had in previous years.