HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You seem to be taking all goalies in a vacuum, when they really aren't. If Bryz was making 3m a year there would be no argument. However, he's making near 6. He is expected to bail the team out of at least a few of the defensive breakdowns at that salary.
When you're getting a little bit better production than Boosh/Leighton a few years ago at a way higher salary, it's a problem.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I am a Bryz supporter too, but there is no way to defend yesterdays game. No team will play perfect defensively, no goalie gets a pass on a goal because the team ****ed up. He has to make saves in big games vs teams behind us in the standings.
Aren't we all Bryz supporters? I don't think anyone here wants him to play poorly!

03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
When you're getting a little bit better production than Boosh/Leighton a few years ago at a way higher salary, it's a problem.
No I agree with you, I was saying that to BP1974. The salary is a huge component.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He is expected to bail the team out of at least a few of the defensive breakdowns
he did last night. several times. great save on Gaborik when it wasd 2-2 8 mins left in 2nd & another big save on Miller early in the 3rd [another undefended man]

ever think the team should be expected to limit the 'scoring chances' where an opponent is undefended ?

an unscreened shot above the circles = 1 scoring chance, just like a breakaway = 1 scoring chance .... but they are completely different degrees of difficulty.

or, how about the team be expected to score a few goals even strength ?

Old
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
he did last night. several times. great save on Gaborik when it wasd 2-2 8 mins left in 2nd & another big save on Miller early in the 3rd [another undefended man]

ever think the team should be expected to limit the 'scoring chances' where an opponent is undefended ?

an unscreened shot above the circles = 1 scoring chance, just like a breakaway = 1 scoring chance .... but they are completely different degrees of difficulty.

I'm not placing all of the blame on Bryzgalov for losing games. I think the team, while they might not have a large number of D breakdowns, have AWFUL breakdowns when they do have them. It's not just a missed assignment, it can mount up to several on one play which leads to chaos in the D-zone. Like I said, some of the chances. The better the goalie, the more he is expected to bail his team out. Bryz has on occasion, then, more often than not, he can't. He also has begun his weak goal thing again, which is frightening.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Also, regarding your scoring at ES, I think you have to almost expected 2 or less goals against the Rangers. They're a sound defensive team with the best tender in the league. Maybe they'll soften up now that Staal seems to be out for a while, but who knows?

Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

20 shots, 8 scoring chances, 4 goals.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
there is no way to defend yesterdays game. No team will play perfect defensively, no goalie gets a pass on a goal because the team ****ed up.
Quote:
team loss last night. Bryz was just like the rest of the team: not good enough. but i can't single him out.
i hope you are not classifying saying that he wasn't good enough as 'giving him a pass'. he was no better than the rest of the team. earlier in the year, he was. [and was able to overcome their deficiencies]

not as much recently & not last night. as i said.

i'm sorry: that's not "defending him" or "giving him a pass". be fair.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
20 shots, 8 scoring chances, 4 goals.
2 goals by undefended opponents. margin of victory for NYR ? 2 goals.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
So Bryzgalov can get a win if the team plays nearly flawless D? That's true for the average backup goalie. The average backup goalie costs much less than Bryz against the cap.

03-06-2013, 02:20 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So Bryzgalov can get a win if the team plays nearly flawless D? That's true for the average backup goalie. The average backup goalie costs much less than Bryz against the cap.
Al Montoya can do that for $599,000 per year

If that is what it takes for Bryz to win then he gets bought out and we move on.

Probably easier than firing the coach, changing our style and turning over half the team AGAIN to protect our 5.66 million dollar goalie!!

Old
03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
If that is what it takes for Bryz to win
he was getting wins earlier, and this team was playing their usually awful team D.
and he's won 3 of 5 .. just not bailing them out as frequently

Old
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Edmonton is one of the worst defensive teams in the league, easily. Dubnyk has better numbers than Bryz. It's more than the defense being player in front of Bryz.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Price is another guy that's played really well last few years despite not having a lot talent in front of him.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

well, Price isn't our goalie, gives up bad goals, gets pulled ..... no different than Bryz.

Price played "really well" last year ?
Price .916 2.43
Bryz: .909 2.48

seems alot like 'the grass is greener' syndrome to me.

2013:
Price .908 2.35 on the best team in the Conference
Bryz: .903 2.68

Old
03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I wasn't really counting this year. I think they're overachieving so far but I wasn't talking about this year.

Bryz has had better defensemen in front of him than Price during his time here so far.

Just watching them play you can tell which one is the better goalie. It's really no contest Price 100x more athletic than Bryz.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Edmonton is one of the worst defensive teams in the league, easily. Dubnyk has better numbers than Bryz. It's more than the defense being player in front of Bryz.
so you think you insert dubnyk onto the flyers and he's better than bryzgalov on this team?

Old
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
so you think you insert dubnyk onto the flyers and he's better than bryzgalov on this team?
Actually, yeah. I do. I've watched a few Edmonton games, and defense to that team is nothing more than a foreign, barely understood dream...the kind you forget the moment you wake up.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:15 PM
buff

Quote:
well, Price isn't our goalie, gives up bad goals, gets pulled ..... no different than Bryz.

Price .916 2.43

2013:
Cmon... you can't compare Price with Bryzgalov... Not the same league to me... The body language of Price, the technique... all is better than Bryzgalov. I'm sure at the and of the season Price will be at .915+ and Bryzgalov wille be below .900 ...

Old
03-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

I remember so many people comparing Bryz number to the likes of Lundy during the beginning of the season. God they were funny times....... Really don't see them doing that right now?

Bryz has to be better, the team has to be better. The all are playing like crap right now, but lets not sit here and say it's the defense or the goalie. It's all of them.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Price .916 2.43

2013:
Just out of curiosity, which goalies would you take over Bryzgalov? From just a pure talent standpoint not including age, potential, contract, etc.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Actually, yeah. I do. I've watched a few Edmonton games, and defense to that team is nothing more than a foreign, barely understood dream...the kind you forget the moment you wake up.
ha. i'm just preparing myself. i can see it happening. bryzgalov to edmonton for dubnyk and some ****heads and then they win the cup. i'm filling the bathtub and sharpening my razorblades as we speak. i somehow still twisted this into a pro bryz comment. oh well.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Bryz has to be better, the team has to be better. The all are playing like crap right now, but lets not sit here and say it's the defense or the goalie. It's all of them.
now, he has to be better, at least he WAS better earlier in the year. the same cannot be said for the team in general & the Team D overall at ANY time this year.

the only saving grace has been: Bryz was lights out earlier & Simmonds / Jake are carrying the O now.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
now, he has to be better, at least he WAS better earlier in the year. the same cannot be said for the team in general & the Team D overall at ANY time this year.

the only saving grace has been: Bryz was lights out earlier & Simmonds / Jake are carrying the O now.
This isn't true. You really think the team hasn't improved at all? Remember when they absolutely dominated the Islanders and...the Caps, was it? And then they also won a nice victory over Pittsburgh.

Luke Schenn and Grossmann have been damned, damned good defensively. Couturier hasn't been a living legend like he was last year, but he's still been solid defensively and crucial to team D.

Every stat you liked to try and point to last year for bad D indicates our D is actually at least passable. We are 8th for fewest shots against, ahead of the Rangers. They're up there for blocked shots too. The defense hasn't been nearly as horrific overall as you make it out to be, and has certainly been an improvement over last year.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Devastate

As a person who's played goalie at very high levels, and a big bryz fan, I'd like to say that his struggles have been just that. HIS struggles.

The defense could be better, but they are certainly passable. Good enough to win games.

He's been VERY shakey.

Closed Thread