HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL 2012-13 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Mandatory visors? What is this, a womens league? If a guy wants to wear a visor..fine, if he doesn't that's his choice.
Not really their choice though. From a teams perspective, if I am entered into a multi-million dollar contract with a player, he's wearing a damn visor and the kevlar socks. Now, I'm not saying add something like a cage but they should be using the resources that have been in the league for some time.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I rage that AT&T doesn't carry NHL Network
Seems like a good enough reason to drop AT&T. Between the games they carry and NHL Live, that station gets way too much time on my TV.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I really wish ESPN would just not cover the NHL, at all, ever. I also don't understand why hockey fans (not referring to anyone in here) always get so butt hurt with ESPN and their hate towards the NHL. Seems they just want to be accepted by ESPN so bad, and it's such a crap channel these days, that I don't have a clue why they would even want that. That goes without mentioning what happened in the past, and their lack of rights to coverage. Just annoying if you ask me.

With that said, I will say that I LOVE NHL Network's coverage. They do such a great job of balancing highlights, airing games, live look-ins, etc.
I don't understand why people why ESPN when there isn't a live sporting event on.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:45 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Seems like a good enough reason to drop AT&T. Between the games they carry and NHL Live, that station gets way too much time on my TV.
There are plenty of other reasons too.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Mandatory visors? What is this, a womens league? If a guy wants to wear a visor..fine, if he doesn't that's his choice.
That wearing safety equipment gets equated with playing in a women's league is what makes leagues like the NFL and NHL so much more dangerous than they need to be.

Last edited by Sevanston: 03-06-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Not really their choice though. From a teams perspective, if I am entered into a multi-million dollar contract with a player, he's wearing a damn visor and the kevlar socks. Now, I'm not saying add something like a cage but they should be using the resources that have been in the league for some time.
Beat me to it. Other workplaces mandate protective equipment for employees....why isn't a pro franchise allowed to do the same? Especially seeing as their investment is so great. They're investing millions in players, not a very good payout if they're sitting in the press box with an eye injury. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Not to mention, literally almost every other junior and pro league in the world mandates visors. I guess they're all girly and wussy, too. Not advocating for it in the NHL one way or the other but, really? What is this, 1950?

Unrelated, I still can't get over people trying to discredit this team and saying they aren't actually that good, they're peaking too early, they're gonna be worn out come playoff time, etc..it's gotten to the point that it's actually amusing on so many levels.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 03-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, I was not out of line one iota with my "Blackhawks are getting disrespected" thread. Yeah, I knew what would most likely happen with it but **** em, needed to be said. And it's not about being like the Canucks because the Hawks ARE NOT the Canucks and neither are the fans. It's about telling a massive group of people to ****.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

I just don't see why a player wouldn't want to wear a visor when injuries like that which occurred to Marc Staal can happen. I get that it may restrict abilities to some degree (and I think it would be minor at that), but safety should be paramount.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I just don't see why a player wouldn't want to wear a visor when injuries like that which occurred to Marc Staal can happen. I get that it may restrict abilities to some degree (and I think it would be minor at that), but safety should be paramount.
i think some people are just idiots. the skate blade taylor hall took to the face last year should have been a reminder of why it's a good idea to wear a helmet during the pre-game skate...but some players still dont'.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Much like the helmets, it is getting integrated at lower levels first. The NHL just needs to set a date and say if you come into the league after this date (and I thought they did?), you are wearing a visor and have no choice in the matter. Still though, like we were talking about, the team should be able to do that too. Wearing safety equipment isn't always the most comfortable thing...but then someone loses an eye or a finger or dies and reminds you of why you are wearing it.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Blue Liner

Over time you're seeing less and less guys not wear them, and that will continue to trend that way, I think. Once junior leagues started to mandate it that changed how many guys come into the league still wearing one. They were used to it and it didn't bother them so they kept wearing it. Some guys just don't want to bother and, for the time being, that's fine. It's their choice. For a long time it was a macho thing, guys just were perceived as less tough for wearing them. That's gone the way of the dinosaur and it's obviously much more the norm to wear one now.

What I think is nutty is recreational players not wearing one. It's one thing if you're paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, let alone millions, as part of your profession as a player and something happens to your eye. But everyday people taking that risk on a regular basis, especially those in careers where your full eye site is paramount to what you do for a living, is a bit silly but that's just me. As fun as it is to have nothing at all, I always go with a visor, myself.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Yeah, I was not out of line one iota with my "Blackhawks are getting disrespected" thread. Yeah, I knew what would most likely happen with it but **** em, needed to be said. And it's not about being like the Canucks because the Hawks ARE NOT the Canucks and neither are the fans. It's about telling a massive group of people to ****.
Yeah it's a combination of a lot of things; not watching every game the team plays and thus not knowing how they're actually playing and what's going on with them, a complete lack of hockey knowledge, forgetting that this core has in fact won a Cup recently and done it so there's a track record in place, sheer jealousy and/or dislike of the franchise no matter what, and trolling/stupidity/enter adjective here.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Sevanston

Saw a pretty sad article about Pronger's current status and how he has nothing to gain by coming back. This quote stuck out:

“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway,” muses Pronger, “where he wins two Super Bowls and retires on his own terms. Very, very few people get a chance to do that.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...om-nhl-return/

Old
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Illinihockey

Suck it Pronger

Old
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Players should have the choice, they are grown men. If GM's don't want their players not wearing a visor, don't sign those players. That's the chance you take when you sign guys to multi-million dollar contracts.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Players should have the choice, they are grown men. If GM's don't want their players not wearing a visor, don't sign those players. That's the chance you take when you sign guys to multi-million dollar contracts.
Or, as a businessman (or a collection of businessmen) you take the chance out of it collectively and make it a job requirement a la other business do with safety standards.

Again, not advocating either way, just saying, the argument can be made. Personally, I'm fine with players having the choice, but if they changed it to mandatory and/or grandfathered a rule in I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and would understand it.

NCAA players and 18+ junior players are adults, too, but don't get to choose. Where's the uproar there?

Old
03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Or, as a businessman (or a collection of businessmen) you take the chance out of it collectively and make it a job requirement a la other business do with safety standards.

Again, not advocating either way, just saying, the argument can be made. Personally, I'm fine with players having the choice, but if they changed it to mandatory and/or grandfathered a rule in I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and would understand it.

NCAA players and 18+ junior players are adults, too, but don't get to choose. Where's the uproar there?
Obviously I wouldn't lose sleep over it either, but it's not nessecary.

JR and NCAA players are a completely different topic. But ya, the ones that are adults should be able to decide whether or not they wear one. But they don't get much of a say in what happens in their league, the NHL players do.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Obviously I wouldn't lose sleep over it either, but it's not nessecary.

JR and NCAA players are a completely different topic. But ya, the ones that are adults should be able to decide whether or not they wear one. But they don't get much of a say in what happens in their league, the NHL players do.
I don't think so, either. I like them being able to make the choice and live with the consequences.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
coldsteelonice84

Ever see a guy coming back without a visor after an eye injury? I can't recall it.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
TwistedWrister90

I personally would wear a visor, but I'm with Hawkaholic. These are grown men; they know the risk they are taking. You might as well make mouthguards mandatory too if we're gonna get upset over every freak accident.

I think it's ridiculous that NCAA players are forced to wear cages considering almost all of them are 18 and older.

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 03-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Saw a pretty sad article about Pronger's current status and how he has nothing to gain by coming back. This quote stuck out:

“Everybody wants to go out like a John Elway,” muses Pronger, “where he wins two Super Bowls and retires on his own terms. Very, very few people get a chance to do that.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...om-nhl-return/
I guess you get what you deserve in the end.

The guy was a ****** and cheap shot artist. Don't miss him at all.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Ever see a guy coming back without a visor after an eye injury? I can't recall it.
Mats Sundin at the end of his career. I think it was a stick that hit him in the eye. Missed some weeks and did come back without a visor

Old
03-06-2013, 04:09 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Mats Sundin at the end of his career. I think it was a stick that hit him in the eye. Missed some weeks and did come back without a visor
With Vancouver?

Old
03-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Sevanston

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
In the NHL, a team can ban its players from growing facial hair, but can't ban them from going visorless. What an absurd league.

Perfectly stated.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
NHL has to collectively bargain any safety changes

NHLPA hasn't always been receptive to it

Closed Thread