HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weiss out for the year, other injuries

Old
03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Patience is a virtue in this case. There are going to be teams with high priced UFAs that are going to get cap crunched with the reduction coming. For example, no way Anaheim resigns both Perry and Getzlaf IMO. In addition, there will be salary dump type trades to get out from under contracts. This team is well placed if we do lose Weiss to free agency.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Patience is a virtue in this case. There are going to be teams with high prices UFAs that are going to get cap crunched with the reduction coming. For example, no way Anaheim resigns both Perry and Getzlaf IMO. This team is well placed if we do lose Weiss to free agency.
I agree.

Would not throw XS money at a 2nd rate free agent..

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
At this point I know it's unrealistic, but just let Weiss go to UFA for nothing, and pick up a center to replace him. I know people are pessimistic about us not willing to pay for a top FA, but we need one, we can't go into next year having Drew Shore as our top center. At his peak he is probably just a second liner.
We did that with Weiss the majority of his career....

I wouldn't mind going for a guy like Ribeiro or McDonald on a 1-2 year deal, for cheap.

I guess we'll just see how the team finishes and where we end up drafting.

I fully believe Tallon was prepared to give Bjug a realistic shot this year at making the roster, if he chose to sign back in June/July.

Another year goes by, maybe we go with a young center core.

I doubt we sign anyone major, until, hopefully, these top prospects pan out like expected. Then we'll be players for a key FA signing.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Pantherfan12

I want Weiss back. I know many people want him gone, and not because of bad blood,but because they want to move on and feel as though we could get something better than Weiss,but I really want him back. He may only be a really good 2nd line center, but he does have it all and gives 110% even after this season. I think he's a good character guy to have in the dressing room and I do think it would be something else to see the Panthers win the Cup sometime soon and see Weiss hoist the Cup in a Panther uniform.

On another note, is it completely scientifically impossible to re-sign Weiss AND bring in someone like Getzlef?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I want Weiss back. I know many people want him gone, and not because of bad blood,but because they want to move on and feel as though we could get something better than Weiss,but I really want him back. He may only be a really good 2nd line center, but he does have it all and gives 110% even after this season. I think he's a good character guy to have in the dressing room and I do think it would be something else to see the Panthers win the Cup sometime soon and see Weiss hoist the Cup in a Panther uniform.

On another note, is it completely scientifically impossible to re-sign Weiss AND bring in someone like Getzlef?
Getzlef is going to resign, perry on the other hand.. will test free agency. One can dream I suppose.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:24 PM
ShootIt

We don't have the coin for Perry.

A lot on the Trade board are expecting 7m++ for Perry. Too bad we are capped with Jovo and Kuba for a while.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:38 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Dont diasagree with any of the above. Itll come back to everything Bob Barker would say...The price is right.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
We don't have the coin for Perry.

A lot on the Trade board are expecting 7m++ for Perry. Too bad we are capped with Jovo and Kuba for a while.
We will never sign a player in free agency who will get around 7 mill+ for 7 years. Until we get a billionaire owner this will be a fantasy for Panther fans.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We will never sign a player in free agency who will get around 7 mill+ for 7 years. Until we get a billionaire owner this will be a fantasy for Panther fans.
We can only trade for one, and give up an Olesz in the process.

Unless Perry came out when we just traded off everyone 2 years ago, and he wanted to play here, he'll only sign here in NHL13.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't understand Weiss in this wrist injury matter. He said it he's had the injury since last season. Why the hell didn't he have surgery during the lockout? Is he stupid

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I don't understand Weiss in this wrist injury matter. He said it he's had the injury since last season. Why the hell didn't he have surgery during the lockout? Is he stupid
I don't get it either. Had he done the surgery right after the season ended, he would have had almost freakin' 8 months to recover or almost 4 months if the season had started as usual.

Something is really fishy on this whole thing..

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I don't get it either. Had he done the surgery right after the season ended, he would have had almost freakin' 8 months to recover or almost 4 months if the season had started as usual.

Something is really fishy on this whole thing..
wait.. where does it say Weiss said he had a wrist injury from last season?

Is there a link anyone could provide? It does seem a bit fishy..

Old
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
wait.. where does it say Weiss said he had a wrist injury from last season?

Is there a link anyone could provide? It does seem a bit fishy..
link:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/podcast...=348&iid=41772

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Thanks!

Old
03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

That was the most depressing interview ever. He is done.

How did this wrist injury last 4 years and now he does something about it? This makes absolutely no sense, at all!

I can't believe I questioned at one point why this guy wasn't named captain.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
That was the most depressing interview ever. He is done.

How did this wrist injury last 4 years and now he does something about it? This makes absolutely no sense, at all!

I can't believe I questioned at one point why this guy wasn't named captain.
Sad stuff.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
This is a good article about the situation. He said he didn't want to have surgery last season because he wanted to help the team make the playoffs, and he didn't do in the summer because it was a big year for him personally. He would have played his entire career without getting surgery if he could have. This guy is a warrior. It sounds like he was scared of what a second surgery on the wrist could potentially do him, but after seeing this latest doctor he seems reassured that he'll get back to 100%. I want him back on a 3-4 year deal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
gizmo12688

I don't want him gone. I know some of you are saying that we need to move on from his era and start anew, but he's still an asset to the team when he's healthy. This is the first season in a long while where he hasn't put up decent numbers.

I think we just really need a true number 1 center, which is hopefully one of Bjugstad, Shore, or even Huberdeau (if they decide to move him back to C). Weiss will be a huge asset as the 2nd or 3rd C.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
billysbreakdown

Hope he's coming back, certainly doesn't look like it though.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:14 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
This is a good article about the situation. He said he didn't want to have surgery last season because he wanted to help the team make the playoffs, and he didn't do in the summer because it was a big year for him personally. He would have played his entire career without getting surgery if he could have. This guy is a warrior. It sounds like he was scared of what a second surgery on the wrist could potentially do him, but after seeing this latest doctor he seems reassured that he'll get back to 100%. I want him back on a 3-4 year deal.

But with the CBA ending, why wouldn't he have gotten the surgery in April last year ASAP after elimination? It was pretty obvious the two sides were far apart.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I don't want him gone. I know some of you are saying that we need to move on from his era and start anew, but he's still an asset to the team when he's healthy. This is the first season in a long while where he hasn't put up decent numbers.

I think we just really need a true number 1 center, which is hopefully one of Bjugstad, Shore, or even Huberdeau (if they decide to move him back to C). Weiss will be a huge asset as the 2nd or 3rd C.
Weiss could definitely be the stopgap for Bjugstad and Shore to become our #1 and #2 Centers.

I'd hope Tallon can talk Weiss into a 2yr - $9 million deal and just bascially say:

Give me two more years of your career, if we don't push for the playoffs in 2013-14 or 2014-15 then you still have 6-7 years to chase the Cup somewhere else. These prospects will take this team to a new level and I want you to mentor them and be here while we make the playoffs and become a contender in two years time.

I think Weiss knows Tallon wants a winner here and his resume backs that up.

Chicago was a laughing stock for a while before their Cup win, Florida has been too. Look at Chicago now and look what Tallon has done with Florida in just two years with the playoffs and a loaded prospect pool.

Weiss knows this team is stacked with young talent and to bring some playoff success here would only raise his value down the road if he was to be traded. I would cringe everytime if I saw Weiss in a Maple Leafs jersey or any other that doesn't have a Panther on the front with #9 on the back.

I was on the fence to trade him but with this injury news coming around, I'd try and keep him in South Florida for at least another couple years. His last four years is enough of a reason why.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
Hope he's coming back, certainly doesn't look like it though.
I would love him back, but I feel Weiss deserves to choose his own fate. He has put a good amount time in this franchise. I personally do not feel he will resign.. but stranger things had happened.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

It'd be nice to keep Weiss for a dirt cheap contract. But, if we can't do that then I think we need to move forward.

On the other hand, we'll look really stupid if we don't get a vet to replace him. We are / going to have a young group of forwards, we need solid vets around these kids.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post

IMO we've seen the last of Weiss in Panthers red.
Quote:
"If it is the last game, it's the last game, and I hope that everyone understands why I made this decision. It's been a good ride."
That's not what a guy who seriously wants to stay with the only team he's ever played would say. If he seriously wanted to stay, he wouldn't even think about other options yet, let alone say that out loud in an interview. He's gone guys.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:25 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Weiss could definitely be the stopgap for Bjugstad and Shore to become our #1 and #2 Centers.

I'd hope Tallon can talk Weiss into a 2yr - $9 million deal and just bascially say:

Give me two more years of your career, if we don't push for the playoffs in 2013-14 or 2014-15 then you still have 6-7 years to chase the Cup somewhere else. These prospects will take this team to a new level and I want you to mentor them and be here while we make the playoffs and become a contender in two years time.

I think Weiss knows Tallon wants a winner here and his resume backs that up.

Chicago was a laughing stock for a while before the Cup win, Florida has been too. Look at Chicago now and look what Tallon has done with Florida in just two years with the playoffs and loaded prospect pool.

Weiss knows this team is stacked with young talent and to bring some playoff success here would only raise his value down the road if he was to be traded. I would cringe everytime if I saw Weiss in a Maple Leafs jersey or any other that doesn't have a Panther on the front with #9 on the back.

I was on the fence to trade him but with this injury news coming around, I'd try and keep him in South Florida for at least another couple years. His last four years is enough of a reason why.
The thing is I don't think DT wants him back, or at least not for the price Weiss probably believes he is worth.
From his interview today he said he would come back to the Panthers if they wanted him back.

I also don't see his numbers increasing right away after a second major wrist surgery.