HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Update 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 05:34 AM
sg58

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
how do they calculate this "shift end zone" thing? would zibby's stats be skewed in any way because of the fact that he changes on the fly almost every time? what if a player that has a lot of shifts starting in the offensive end gets lots of pressure then the other team dumps it in and the player changes? would that count as a defensive zone shift end?
It's only counted for whistles, so both coming on and coming off on the fly does not impact this at all. The quality of competition calculation, though, I believe is for every second on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiercioch2Karlsson View Post
Don't forget Z-bad's poor face-off % (42), which surely must have some explanatory value as to what zone he's entrusted to start in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Nice to see someone look at situational stats with some context for once.
Oh, for sure. He's a rookie and we can look at the reasons for why he's starting so much in an easier position but the easy conclusion here is that Zibanejad's ice-time is played in a much, much easier situation and I wanted to point that out since it seemed someone wanted to declare victory in this tired "Couturier vs. Ziba" debate that's been going on ever since draft day.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
operasen

Which are the prospects that could be available to Binghamton once their year is done? Ceci and Noesen I think. Puempel? Sdao? others?

Old
03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Which are the prospects that could be available to Binghamton once their year is done? Ceci and Noesen I think. Puempel? Sdao? others?
All prospects playing in the CHL whose team is eliminated.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Couturier's shut down skills might not be something you'd want to boast about at this point. He's a shutdown center on an awful defensive team and he plays a part in that. His offensive numbers are pretty disappointing considering the team he's on. He's about the 8th or 9th best producer in terms of forwards on that team.
Couturier is a 3rd line shutdown center so far in his career (which is good), he could become better and end up as a 2nd line center. That's his upside IMO.

Zibanejad is not as a far bet, but his upside is clearly higher

Anyway, so far, Couturier is doing what Chris Kelly has done as a rookie/sophomore. Yes, he was older but the point is we don't need to hype Couts more than his draft position already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's not all that surprising...Mika's a more skilled player than Couturier.
Which is why the debate and the conclusions made in absolute a few months ago were a bit retarded

I'll never understand what's the pressing urge to draw career conclusions a few months after a prospect is drafted... Only on HF?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
All prospects playing in the CHL whose team is eliminated.
Thanks

Old
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Wait, what?

Couturier: 41.9%
Zibanejad: 42.7%
Oh, snap! But wait, what?

Turris, Smith, and O'Brien are all 5 - 10% better than Z-bad at faceoffs.
Schenn is also 41.9% and Talbot is only 4% better, and all are considerably below 50%.

So there!

Old
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Is it bad that I want Owen Sound to make an early exit so Ceci can come play in the AHL?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Jp20

i don't know if anyone noticed this but zibanejad has only 2 PIM in 17 games. shows how disciplined and aware he is.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I wanted to point that out since it seemed someone wanted to declare victory in this tired "Couturier vs. Ziba" debate that's been going on ever since draft day.
I think my comment which restarted this discussion included a for a reason..

Old
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp20 View Post
i don't know if anyone noticed this but zibanejad has only 2 PIM in 17 games. shows how disciplined and aware he is.
Or maybe shows his lack of intensity.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Jp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Or maybe shows his lack of intensity.
go and look back at the toronto game. if it wasnt for his lines intesity (greening-zibby-condra) we would not have won the game

Old
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Bileur

So has anyone heard of any of the NCAA guys signing?

Old
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
So has anyone heard of any of the NCAA guys signing?
Wasn't there that huge college kid the Senators and everyone else were suppose to be chasing? Don't think he signed anywhere yet, but all these injuries makes Ottawa a great place to try to step right into the NHL.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 03-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Wasn't there was that huge college kid the Senators and everyone else were suppose to be chasing? Don't think he signed anywhere yet, but all these injuries makes Ottawa a great place to try to step right into the NHL.
I'm guessing you're talking about Andrej Sustr. Agreed, having a shot at playing in the NHL right away should be enticing.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about Andrej Sustr. Agreed, having a shot at playing in the NHL right away should be enticing.
Yeah that is the one I just didn't feel like attempting to butcher his name and was too lazy to look it up. Should also help that Ottawa has proven with Da Costa and Butler that they will at least give college guys a shot in the NHL. Plus maybe Milo can go sweet talk him in Czech.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:52 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
I think my comment which restarted this discussion included a for a reason..
Ha! You're not fooling me with your "people aren't always serious on the Internet" act.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Wasn't there that huge college kid the Senators and everyone else were suppose to be chasing? Don't think he signed anywhere yet, but all these injuries makes Ottawa a great place to try to step right into the NHL.
I mean more along the lines of our own college guys. Sdao, or even juniors like Aneloski or Costello?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

One guy that had a good under the radar season was Jeff Costello for Notre Dame. 5th rounder in 2009 (great ****ing draft for the Sens!) increased his production from 12pts in 28 games in his sophomore year to 26pts (9 goals) in 28 games this junior season.

I saw him play one game this year and mostly just noticed him for his size. 6'0 but about 210-220lbs, uses it in front of the net. His production increase may be systemic in that he's surrounded by a lot of talent at Notre Dame with Tynan, Russo, Lee, Rust, Lucia, Johns and Taker. He was 3rd on the team in scoring, 2nd in PPG only to Lee who's a pretty highly regarded powerforward prospect.

Hoping we sign his teammate in Taker. He sounds like another Tanev.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Wouldn't that be Dekeyser? Sustr is one of the top guys out there but I am pretty sure Dekeyser is the NCAA free agent that is the most highly touted.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
One guy that had a good under the radar season was Jeff Costello for Notre Dame. 5th rounder in 2009 (great ****ing draft for the Sens!) increased his production from 12pts in 28 games in his sophomore year to 26pts (9 goals) in 28 games this junior season.

I saw him play one game this year and mostly just noticed him for his size. 6'0 but about 210-220lbs, uses it in front of the net. His production increase may be systemic in that he's surrounded by a lot of talent at Notre Dame with Tynan, Russo, Lee, Rust, Lucia, Johns and Taker. He was 3rd on the team in scoring, 2nd in PPG only to Lee who's a pretty highly regarded powerforward prospect.

Hoping we sign his teammate in Taker. He sounds like another Tanev.
Costello is a real solid prospect and having a great year. I am a little surprised that he doesn't get more hype around here. He could be a really solid bottom six guy down the line. All scouting reports indicate that he is a pretty chippy player, maybe he is another Chris Kuntiz.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Wouldn't that be Dekeyser? Sustr is one of the top guys out there but I am pretty sure Dekeyser is the NCAA free agent that is the most highly touted.
I think Sustr is held in a higher regard amongst the crowd who (unfairly) see Zdeno-Chara-lite in this kid. Sustr doesn't play even close to as hard as Chara does, though. Projecting him to be anything like Chara is setting him up to fail.

Dekeyser is the better prospect in my eyes, IMO.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think Sustr is held in a higher regard amongst the crowd who (unfairly) see Zdeno-Chara-lite in this kid. Sustr doesn't play even close to as hard as Chara does, though. Projecting him to be anything like Chara is setting him up to fail.

Dekeyser is the better prospect in my eyes, IMO.
That's what I thought. Dekeyser is the more highly touted prospect. Sustr seems like a bit of a project with some good potential. I guess the issue is whether Sustr's potential is to be another Zdeno Chara or another Boris Valibik.

But it sounds like it is a pretty sure bet that Dekeyser signs with Detroit. So Sustr may be a good target.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:11 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Valibik was molasses and it made his height useless. I heard Sustr has good wheels.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Valibik was mollassos and it made his height useless. I heard Sustr has good wheels.
From what I've heard, he has decent wheels, but doesn't use his size in almost any capacity whatsoever. He's tall, but he's like the NHL version of Shawn Bradley out there:

Old
03-08-2013, 12:17 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
From what I've heard, he has decent wheels, but doesn't use his size in almost any capacity whatsoever. He's tall, but he's like the NHL version of Shawn Bradley out there:

Lmao, true but he's shown glimpses. Also, he has a very strong and active stick which separates plays like it's nothing. I think that's what is most intruiging about him. A big defender who can play hockey well and can still add a dimension that could become his biggest strength.

Closed Thread