HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: New Mazda3 Owner

Old
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a 3.8L supercharged engine. =]

0-60mph is around 6 seconds, and it hauls a$$ from any speed you're travelling at, bottom line, it's pretty fast, and very fun to drive. I also love that whine from the superchager when you really hit the gas =]

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
at least you can be safe in the knowledge that its unlikely to break down any time before, lets say, 2015.
That's true I think Mazda has a pretty good reputation on that front, though maybe not as good as Honda or Toyota. I would never consider buying any American made car nor leasing it beyond the warranty period. My father got all kinds of problems with 2 different Fords, and some weird ones too like the speedometer stopping working for some unknown reason (and that was after a 4 year period only!). It seems those cars are cleverly designed to mysteriously fall appart once the warranty is over.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:21 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
It seems those cars are cleverly designed to mysteriously fall appart once the warranty is over.
It's the other way around...they build the guarantee around how long the car lasts.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:25 AM
BobbyFischer*

It's true, as far as reliably is concerned, Toyota leads in best reliability followed closely by Honda.

Although my dad has a 2001 Chrysler Intrepid R/T and hasn't had any problems at all and hes at it since 2001. And no probs yet with my Grand Prix so.. but anyway yeah its no secret jap cars are made better/more reliability.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
It's the other way around...they build the guarantee around how long the car lasts.
In that case they should just put a 30-day limited warranty on any Ford coming out of the factory.

Old
07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
phil

lucky you, this car looks great, I wish I would own one, it's a nice affordable sports car... but also with space and class

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I've got a Jetta. Terrible experience with Volkswagen/electrical problems and so on. I think I've paid $15k in various repairs that shouldn't have needed repairing, and dealing with Volkswagen and my extended warranty has been a nightmare. Never again with Volkswagen.
If you paid $15k in repairs on a 2006 car, you've gone awry somewhere. I suspect you have a pre-2004 model, which is different from the redesigned 2006 models. Anyway, what I was saying is that the interior quality, feel and drive of the Jetta was far better than the Mazda3. I find that Asian cars have a cheap quality to the interior from using poorer materials, Toyota the exception, since they're made in Canada.
You also have to make sure you don't get one of the South American VW's, since they're far worse than the German-made ones.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
felixd - That Solstice is a nice looking car, I assume its as much fun to drive as it is to look at right? Never seen one of those before, although its not as if Pontiac is a household name for cars over here. Front end looks a tiny bit like a Porcshe. Hope you have fun with it. Although maybe not enough fun to end up flipping it. Can't imagine that would be fun in any respect.

Montrealer - Nice car, again, although maybe not as nice as that Solstice looks I was seriously considering getting a Mazda3 this time last year, I was looking at the hatchback version in metallic blue. I was on the verge of sorting out the funds for it when something else caught my eye. But the 3 is a nice car. Particularly liked the interior, everything seemed well designed and well positioned (little things like the stereo controls on the steering wheel and the glove box handle being near the centre of the car so the driver can reach it if needed). Took it for a test drive and it seemed a bright enough little car, although during the testdrive, i completely failed to get the hang of the gearbox. anyways, I hope you too enjoy your new car, at least you can be safe in the knowledge that its unlikely to break down any time before, lets say, 2015.
What did you get instead, Qui Gon Dave?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
meh. Mazda3's are like so 2002 years ago. Behind the trend, my friend. Nice looking car, though the handling at speed is poor.
LOL

Mazda 3 and 6 have great handling and its a fact...

I own a Mazda6 and the handling is way better thant my father's Lumina and old Golf

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Mike8

Quote:
If you paid $15k in repairs on a 2006 car, you've gone awry somewhere. I suspect you have a pre-2004 model, which is different from the redesigned 2006 models. Anyway, what I was saying is that the interior quality, feel and drive of the Jetta was far better than the Mazda3. I find that Asian cars have a cheap quality to the interior from using poorer materials, Toyota the exception, since they're made in Canada.
You also have to make sure you don't get one of the South American VW's, since they're far worse than the German-made ones.
Yeah, it's an 01 so not relevant to this discussion. This is German-made. I've had a Brazilian-made volkswagen in the early 90s and it never had any problems. Granted, it was a cheap car, but it still was the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.

News this morning is that Volkswagen will pay for 50% of the latest repairs, so that's decent at least. That's after two weeks of dealing with their nonsense, mind you.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
It's true, as far as reliably is concerned, Toyota leads in best reliability followed closely by Honda.
actualy in consumer report mitsubishi was second to toyota/lexus then 3rd cam honda/acura.
other notables nissans are dropping in terms of the reliablity as they're building many of there units in mexico, same story goes for VW.

BMW, mercedes, jags, hyundai/kia and many domestics were at the bottom of the list as far as reliablity goes.

its funny seing such luxury cars being so bad in reliablity though for BMW and mercedes its not a question of engine reliablity its more the electrical reliablity issues.
plus having worked for BMW before there service is insane!.

by the way i hope you enjoy your car montrealer,

other cars in that category i would look at is the corrolla xrs, civic si, and the best (in my opinion) the mitsubishi ralliart.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I've got a Jetta. Terrible experience with Volkswagen/electrical problems and so on. I think I've paid $15k in various repairs that shouldn't have needed repairing, and dealing with Volkswagen and my extended warranty has been a nightmare. Never again with Volkswagen.
I read numerous stories about the VW problems and stayed away when I bought a new car in January even though I liked the Passat. This article sounds like it could be you, Mike.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...281.A9081.html

Montrealer, congrats on the new car. I bought a 6 myself earlier this year. I think Mazdas are pretty underrated. The 3s are a great value, but for whatever reason, Mazda Canada doesn't equip them with side airbags like Mazda US does. In fact, quite a few of the Canadian manufacturers do that (Canadians are cheap on safety?). It's really too bad. Overall, I'm happy with the Mazda. One little beef I do have is that the seats are not as comfortable as I'd like. There is very little shoulder support as compared to American and German seats. A co-worker drives a new Dodge Magnum, and the shoulder support on that is a beauty.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
CHareth

Quote:
In that case they should just put a 30-day limited warranty on any Ford coming out of the factory.
I actually like the design of the new Ford Edge.

Old
07-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
The cops took my Pontiac Sunbird 1992 because I was riding it without a licence, assurence, plate... drivers mirror, flat tire... I loved my Pontiac.
lol, no offence, but that's so "russian" of you

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I actually like the design of the new Ford Edge.
Me too actually. In fact, design wise I like a lot of the American models better than their Asian equivalents. So I wouldn't have a problem leasing for the warranty duration for such a car. No buying though. And some of those cars are really fun to drive (I like the Chevrolet Malibu a lot personally).

Old
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Kirk Muller*

most asian cars are made in north america anyway. mazdas, hondas, toyotas, etc. the 2007 toyota camry is made 93% in north america.

Old
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
What did you get instead, Qui Gon Dave?
A car that was very much 'sleeker' than the Mazda3. I think based on the picture below you can see the attraction of it over the 3, as nice as that is. I got it second hand, no way i could afford it new, at least not for a few years, but its a Toyota so it seems a safe investment. Only issues with it have been as a result of wear and tear, needed new front discs and soon needs new front wheels, but thats to be expected, its over three years old now.

And while we are talking about reliability and American cars, Don't know how many of you are aware of a motoring TV show over here called Top Gear. The host of the show is well known and has had a string of high performance cars. Around last year, he test drove the new Ford GT for the show and fell in love with it and went on a mission to ensure he got his name on the list for one when they were released, regardless of the exclusivity of the car. Well, he got one. And as often as not, he mentions on the show what has gone wrong with the car over the past week. He even drove it to the studio one week and had to get a lift home when it wouldn't start up. Any number of electrical faults on it apparently. Kinda suprising they could spend that much making a car and selling it for such a high price yet you get better reliability out of a Ford Ka. And half the time, better performance, on account of the fact that the Ka will more than likely work

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 08-12-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Me too actually. In fact, design wise I like a lot of the American models better than their Asian equivalents. So I wouldn't have a problem leasing for the warranty duration for such a car. No buying though. And some of those cars are really fun to drive (I like the Chevrolet Malibu a lot personally).
I think the Malibu is based on the same platform as the Opel and Saab 9-3, so maybe Chevy borrowed some of the European spirit.

One thing that really bugs me about American cars is that they're shaped like too many Americans - big fat rear ends. So many of them have this giant ground clearance in the back with trunks that ride up so high. That makes the actual rear window tiny, which doesn't make for great visibility. Some otherwise nice looking American cars have been butchered with these horrid rear designs.

Old
07-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Marchy79

Last September The Ghost bought his first ever car

I bought a 1997 VW Jetta TREK edition (didnt come with the bike )
that was black, and originally french canadian like me (It came from Montreal)

Its an amazing ride, I wouldnt trade her in for the world... I love my car in a platonic friendship kinda way

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Habsy

Chrysler SRT-8 here

[IMAGE]http://thewolf130.tripod.com/300_1_1024x768.jpg[/IMAGE]

Stock pic but that's what she looks like.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
I think the Malibu is based on the same platform as the Opel and Saab 9-3, so maybe Chevy borrowed some of the European spirit.

One thing that really bugs me about American cars is that they're shaped like too many Americans - big fat rear ends. So many of them have this giant ground clearance in the back with trunks that ride up so high. That makes the actual rear window tiny, which doesn't make for great visibility. Some otherwise nice looking American cars have been butchered with these horrid rear designs.
Yeah I agree the Americans created their cars in their image.

I like a blend of style, functionality, and proportion. And most of all I like a car that looks solid yet not too bold. I think Dodge did really well on some of their models, though that's purely up to taste I guess. Some hate them. And maybe they do have the raised arse syndrome a bit. I personally like the Caliber and Charger a lot (design wise, haven't driven either one yet). Those are my kind of cars. Maybe I'll change my mind once I drive them, it's purely based on exterior looks at this point, like choosing a girl (ok I shouldn't have said that).

Old
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
mt_mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
2006 Pontiac Solstice-

Got it mainly because I thought it looked sexy, then when I drove it realized it has nuts acceleration due to it being so small and light. Also the most dangerous car I've ever driven, doesn't hold the road much, if I'm not careful I guarantee I can flip this over.
You say your car has "nuts acceleration", when it does the 1/4 mile in roughly 15.8 seconds??? hahahaha, only kidding....

Enjoy your "sports" car!

mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
lol, no offence, but that's so "russian" of you
Yup, just pure russian genius...

The cops were nice though.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Yup, just pure russian genius...

The cops were nice though.
the cost of getting it out of the car pound will probably be much more than what it would have cost you to renew your license and plates and get cheap one way insurance coverage.

Old
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
most asian cars are made in north america anyway. mazdas, hondas, toyotas, etc. the 2007 toyota camry is made 93% in north america.
Mazda 3's are made in Hiroshima. 6's are made in Normal Ill. I own 2 w/50000+ miles 1 small problem. Both are the same color as yours. Mine's a 5 door daughters is a 2.0 litre. Good choice. Built on the Volvo S40 frame. Volvo safety technology. Handles like it's on rails.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote