HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#23 | Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Islanders | Mar 5 | 7 PM W 6-3

Old
03-06-2013, 07:24 AM
steveat

vCash: 500
First, I want to say that for a fringe NHLer, McDonald has done far more for this team than we could have hoped for and I would no mind signing him. He is like and older and wiser Matt Martin. His checks are sooooo old school. Get down low and lean in with your shoulders. The way IT'S SUPPOSED to be done...not decapitation like the stupid kids do today.

I dono about you guys, but we need his grit and toughness...not to mention, he is not streaky like Aucoin or Okposo....he'll get points as they come.

On another note, I went to see what the Habs fans have been saying about this game. I wanted to see how fans of a winning team reacted to losing...hilarious..but they don't sound much different than us:

1. there's one dam line on the islanders and there are always alone in front of the net all game long
2. Just don't match up well with The Islanders. That Tavares line causes us fits.
3. Never want to play the Islanders again... Habs can't seem to do well against them.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Lshap

Wanted to congratulate you guys on your team's strong play. I'm not sure why my Habs can't seem to beat the Isles, but I am sure you have some dynamite skaters and great talent to build around. Good game and good luck!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
First, I want to say that for a fringe NHLer, McDonald has done far more for this team than we could have hoped for and I would no mind signing him. He is like and older and wiser Matt Martin.
I've changed my opinion on McDonald as well. I'm not suggesting he gets more minutes but on the 4th line, when he finishes checks hard and plays inspired, he can be a very useful player for the Islanders.

This is where I think a guy like Ullstrom may be in trouble. Ullstrom seems to think he's better than he is. He's becoming a guy who will try to make that extra move or be offensive when he's not. So you end up with an ineffective player more often than not. I'd like to see more effort, more simplified game with more physical play. I imagine he'll sit against the Rangers.

We have to love what Cizikas, Martin, McDonald bring to the table as a 4th line.

But Reasoner, with Ullstrom and Grabner is a mis-matched line that's a mess no matter how you look at it. I hate the lines.

Bailey-KO have been the best forwards the last 2-3 games, both in effort and effectiveness. They've been working hard and forechecking, cycling, generating chances and drawing penalties.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Hipster Doofus

Ullstrom is like 22. You want him playing aggressively like that and testing defenders. McDonald is 28 and content to pickup an NHL salary. Not a fair comparison, neither should be playing like the other

Id swap Martin with Grabner and model the line after Blake-Scatch-Weimer line. Grabs is a waste on Reasoners wing and Martin is just a skill level below those guys and a bit redundant.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Islanders1932

Also I'd like to give some love to Nielsen for this game. I thought he was outstanding and I noticed him on almost every shift in the first two periods.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Ullstrom is like 22. You want him playing aggressively like that and testing defenders. McDonald is 28 and content to pickup an NHL salary. Not a fair comparison, neither should be playing like the other

Id swap Martin with Grabner and model the line after Blake-Scatch-Weimer line. Grabs is a waste on Reasoners wing and Martin is just a skill level below those guys and a bit redundant.
I think he just wants Ullstrom to simply his game. He's a big kid. Play more North and South. Finish your checks. Thats how he was effective earlier in the season. Play to his strengths. Skating and using his size.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I've changed my opinion on McDonald as well. I'm not suggesting he gets more minutes but on the 4th line, when he finishes checks hard and plays inspired, he can be a very useful player for the Islanders.

This is where I think a guy like Ullstrom may be in trouble. Ullstrom seems to think he's better than he is. He's becoming a guy who will try to make that extra move or be offensive when he's not. So you end up with an ineffective player more often than not. I'd like to see more effort, more simplified game with more physical play. I imagine he'll sit against the Rangers.

We have to love what Cizikas, Martin, McDonald bring to the table as a 4th line.

But Reasoner, with Ullstrom and Grabner is a mis-matched line that's a mess no matter how you look at it. I hate the lines.

Bailey-KO have been the best forwards the last 2-3 games, both in effort and effectiveness. They've been working hard and forechecking, cycling, generating chances and drawing penalties.
Just for the heck of it, I'd love to see Bailey between Okposo and Moulson for a few games. I think that would be a nicely balanced line, and Moulson would convert some of the chances the other 2 guys create. And if Moulson could be effective away from JT, that would open up interesting possibilities for the 1st line.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Liked MM in the middle on the PP. Big body who is tough to move and not bad hands.

I also like what MacDonald has done on the 4th line. Can score some goals, takes the body, and isnt afraid to mix it up. I like that line of CM-CC-MM.

Now if we could just get rid of the usless Reasoner we would be better off. God, is he terrible.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Just for the heck of it, I'd love to see Bailey between Okposo and Moulson for a few games. I think that would be a nicely balanced line, and Moulson would convert some of the chances the other 2 guys create. And if Moulson could be effective away from JT, that would open up interesting possibilities for the 1st line.
I've been so damn curious as to what it would be like if JT and Moulson were separated. Moulson is a leech, but he's probably the best leech in the NHL because you can't get him off. He produces and he buries chances, plus he never misses a game so you can never get a chance to see what it would be like.

It's become one of the great mysteries in the NHL.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Just got home from the game. Some notes:

1) Refs were brutal tonight, for both sides
2) Attendance was brutal, probably worst I've ever witnessed. Normally the Habs fans invade the coliseum, but there was hardly anyone there period.
3) Probably the best game I've ever seen Martinek play, I'd like to see more of him more often.
4) McDonald and Zeeker are getting better, they're a physical presence we need (especially McDonald)
5) Martin's best game in an Isles uniform
6) Nielsen was heated all game and he was yapping all game, unusually angry for Frans
7) What caused JT to take a run at Carey Price? That was a strange play.
It was a weird play. But he was pissed at the officiating.

03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Great win.

I posted 80 ****ing times for the habs to not take the Islanders easy and they did. They got what they deserved.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post

No way you touch the Martin-Czikas-Mcdonald line right now. They are playing way to well.

I agree that Reasoner is killing Grabner and Ullstrom. I would prefer to see Nielsen replace Reasoner, give more ice to Czikas line and reduce playing time for Bailey - Okposo - Reasoner

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Now if we can play this way with the Bruins....physical all game and skating hard with good set up and passing?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
duster19

I thought Martinek was great last night. Amazing what the slighest bit of size and physicality can bring to a DEF. I wish Hickey was 5 inches taller, 50 lbs heavier and a step faster. Guys got a good head on his shoulder and is willing to do what it takes, I just dont know if he is going to be atheltic enough to make that next step. Really rooting for him...been one of our better dman when he plays.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Now if we can play this way with the Bruins....physical all game and skating hard with good set up and passing?

Exactly. Montreal is a small team. Lets see if the Isles can keep that physical edge against the Rags Thursday.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I think he just wants Ullstrom to simply his game. He's a big kid. Play more North and South. Finish your checks. Thats how he was effective earlier in the season. Play to his strengths. Skating and using his size.
He also has good hands a laser shot. Not sure why youd wanna nerf that being that hes not a liability in his role.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote