HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Vito_81

vCash: 500
Something involving Stafford for Stastny would be fantastic.

Stastny would be a good fit here. I think his time has come and gone in Colorado. A fresh start in a fresh conference could wake him up.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

Stastny would be a good fit here. I think his time has come and gone in Colorado. A fresh start in a fresh conference could wake him up.
Stafford, Brennan, and a guy like Peterson would be stellar.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I'd take a 2nd or a 3rd for Stafford at this point. I know Darcy doesn't like to sell low, but he's clearly got to go. I'm sure if his contract was 1.5M cheaper, he could have some value as a bounce-back candidate in a trade, but he's getting paid 2M per goal this year.

Honestly, half of the value you're getting in return for a Stafford trade is contract relief. With the cap going down, getting 4M off the books is huge. If Buffalo could get an asset that helps them move up in the draft, even better.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

I don't think Stastny can handle top defensive minutes, and we still have the same problem as now - four offensive centers: Hodgson, Ennis, Stastny, Grigorenko. I suppose they could move Ennis to wing and get someone else, but I'd prefer solving the problem directly. If we need to get more offense, add it to the wing.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyimmark View Post
I don't think Stastny can handle top defensive minutes, and we still have the same problem as now - four offensive centers: Hodgson, Ennis, Stastny, Grigorenko. I suppose they could move Ennis to wing and get someone else, but I'd prefer solving the problem directly. If we need to get more offense, add it to the wing.

My main question would be how is statsny on faceoffs. If he's any good on the dot then I think he'd be worth bringing in.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyimmark View Post
All day this.

Does bringing in Stastny really solve anything if he can't handle the toughest defensive assignments? What do we gain by having 4 offensive centers who all arguably (aside from Grigs this year) need higher offensive zone starts to succeed? I don't know **** about Stastny since I never watch the Avs, so maybe someone can fill me in here... Could he even remotely fulfill the so-badly-needed defensive center role?

Old
03-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

This Stafford thing bugs me. After he scored 30 goals, I told everyone I knew that the Sabres needed to trade him ASAP. His value was through the roof, but anyone who looked closely (hopefully not an overeager GM) could see that a 30-goal season was an exception, not the rule for Drew. Those goals came in big, streaky bunches, including several hat tricks, and it was going to be impossible for a guy averaging around 20 to repeat that feat.

Instead of selling high, though, Regier resigns Staff to a big deal. Now, with his value in the dumps and his cap hit a warning flag to the league, Regier's shopping him. A guy that could have been used to net a top player or some serious blue chippers has been likely reduced to a single pick. Best case scenario is that somebody that also needs to move an overpriced body (Stastny) wants to take Stafford on as a reclamation project. And yeah...best case scenario isn't that great. What a wasted asset.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:37 PM
DJN21

trade stafford-sign Clarkson in the offseason-run a line of kaleta-ott-clarkson next year and watch the magic happen as we **** everyone else in the league off.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If they're moving Stafford for another contract, they need some punch on the wing, even if it is another struggling player.

03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
This Stafford thing bugs me. After he scored 30 goals, I told everyone I knew that the Sabres needed to trade him ASAP. His value was through the roof, but anyone who looked closely (hopefully not an overeager GM) could see that a 30-goal season was an exception, not the rule for Drew. Those goals came in big, streaky bunches, including several hat tricks, and it was going to be impossible for a guy averaging around 20 to repeat that feat.

Instead of selling high, though, Regier resigns Staff to a big deal. Now, with his value in the dumps and his cap hit a warning flag to the league, Regier's shopping him. A guy that could have been used to net a top player or some serious blue chippers has been likely reduced to a single pick. Best case scenario is that somebody that also needs to move an overpriced body (Stastny) wants to take Stafford on as a reclamation project, otherwise, what a wasted asset.
I said the exact same thing after he had his big year 2 years ago: sell, sell, sell!

I remember friends and family calling me crazy, saying that Drew had "finally put it all together." How he was going to be our next captain, etc.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Some undrafted players to consider in: Laganiere, DeKeyser among ten NCAA free agents that could be NHL-bound.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
All day this.

Does bringing in Stastny really solve anything if he can't handle the toughest defensive assignments? What do we gain by having 4 offensive centers who all arguably (aside from Grigs this year) need higher offensive zone starts to succeed? I don't know **** about Stastny since I never watch the Avs, so maybe someone can fill me in here... Could he even remotely fulfill the so-badly-needed defensive center role?
Your team will score more goals and therefore win more hockey games. Pretty simple really.

You can't really count Grigorenko as an offensive center right now or even next season. If him and Girgensens develop soon, then you trade somebody or move somebody to wing and enjoy the fact that you have too many good offensive players.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
DJN21

Let Zajac talk the Devils brass up then at the deadline if the Devils are in and we're out try to snag Urbom or gelinas for stafford and hope we can trick them...

Old
03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Your team will score more goals and therefore win more hockey games. Pretty simple really.

You can't really count Grigorenko as an offensive center right now or even next season. If him and Girgensens develop soon, then you trade somebody or move somebody to wing and enjoy the fact that you have too many good offensive players.
Yes you're right... Because Stanley Cup winning teams never have centers that play strong 2 way games and consistently shut down other teams' top players. Teams who win cups have 4 Daniel Briere's because all you have to do is score more goals!

And I didn't count Grigorenko, hence the use of italics.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Regier was proactive in adding Flynn last spring. I wonder if he's looking at Hayes or Laganiere for some options on the wing? And based on this article's writeup, I'd hope that they're looking at DeKeyser.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
trade stafford-sign Clarkson in the offseason-run a line of kaleta-ott-clarkson next year and watch the magic happen as we **** everyone else in the league off.
Haha. That is a great idea.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm more afraid Regier will move Stafford out and take a net asset lose back-filling with someone like David Booth or PM Bouchard as to make it a lateral move at best.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If they're moving Stafford for another contract, they need some punch on the wing, even if it is another struggling player.
sounds like dustin penner

Old
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Yes you're right... Because Stanley Cup winning teams never have centers that play strong 2 way games and consistently shut down other teams' top players. Teams who win cups have 4 Daniel Briere's because all you have to do is score more goals!

And I didn't count Grigorenko, hence the use of italics.
There is no blue-print for winning the Stanley cup.

Not to mention, you can learn and develop defensive skill. Give me the guys who have the skill and I'll teach them to play defense. There's still plenty of time for Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko to develop into good defensive players (Ennis isn't bad right now).

Old
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Regier was proactive in adding Flynn last spring. I wonder if he's looking at Hayes or Laganiere for some options on the wing? And based on this article's writeup, I'd hope that they're looking at DeKeyser.
It came up in another thread, but DeKeyser is the guy I most want to see them land from the current NCAA UFA crop. And with their dearth of natural scoring in the system, Carey and Laganiere should be looked at as well. Even if they make it as AHL guys, they need scoring everywhere.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
ohheyimmark

Trade Stafford for the best defenseman you can get, preferably one that knows where his own zone is.

Trade Leopold and Regehr at the deadline for picks.

Sign one of Clowe or Horton, if either makes it to FA.

Sign Bozak.

Vanek/Hodgson/Pominville
Clowe (Horton)/Ennis/Foligno
Leino/Grigorenko/Ott
Gerbe/Bozak/Kaleta

Myers/Ehroff
McNabb/Sekera
Weber/X (Stafford replacement)

Not sure that team would be much better than what we have now, but it's at least halfway/sorta/somewhat realistic. Maybe.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:32 PM
ROR
fka BCS

Zero-goal Clowe would fit right in with this group.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
All day this.

Yes it does.

-He's good on face-offs, thats an improvement we badly need. A top 6 center thats good on draws.
-adds size to the center position (6' 205lbs).
-He's a playmaker which would allow Ennis to go back on the wing and be the sniper he was drafted to be.
-solid PKer
-good PP guy.

Stastny is a proven commodity as a top 6 center. He's a lock for 20 goals and his point totals hinge on his playmaking. His best seasons he had 50-ish assists. More recently he's had 32-35. He'd be a nice #2 center behind Hodgson.

Getting Stastny does not mean we aren't allowed to go and get another center.

For fun, our new top 6.

Ott/Hodgson/Vanek
Ennis/Stastny/Pommer

Or

Vanek/Hodgson/Pommer
Ennis/Stastny/Leino

Last edited by joshjull: 03-06-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The only issue with Stastny is cap: he's signed at 6.6M through next season, then a UFA. Next year might be tight given the raise Hodgson is gonna get after this season and the declining cap...definitely some salary would have to be shed (Leino/Stafford). Then he comes off the books at the same time as Vanek, Pominville, and Miller.

So I guess the question is: try to go after Stastny when he becomes UFA (for a cheaper $ amount) or get him now (and trade assets for him). It depends on whether you think Stastny could help next year's team be a contender.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:33 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The only issue with Stastny is cap: he's signed at 6.6M through next season, then a UFA. Next year might be tight given the raise Hodgson is gonna get after this season and the declining cap...definitely some salary would have to be shed (Leino/Stafford). Then he comes off the books at the same time as Vanek, Pominville, and Miller.

So I guess the question is: try to go after Stastny when he becomes UFA (for a cheaper $ amount) or get him now (and trade assets for him). It depends on whether you think Stastny could help next year's team be a contender.
The premise was based on the previously mentioned Stafford for Stastny trade. So Stafford's cap hit is out the door.

Closed Thread