HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

What if the Jets won the NHL Lottery...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
If CBJ is interested, trade it to them for their 3 - 1st rd picks in 2013, might have to throw in a 2nd.

Then move a 2nd (and/or prospect) to move up with one of those other 1st rd picks - to have 2 - top 10 picks. One top 5 (maybe top 3), other top 10. Jets would still have a 3rd pick in 1st rd (likely in the 20+ range).

Then draft:
Drouin - pure talent

Nurse - top 4, LH shut down dman

Fucale - I know, but Pavs???

Oh to dream.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Well I think the really nice part of this draft is there seems to be at least two future #1 centers available. I'd heard Drouin can play C as well but plays wing so he can play with MacKinnon. Barkov from what I heard has everything MacKinnon has except the top end acceleration. Read a lot of his scouting reports and he sounds a ton like Kopitar to me. Size, strength, good shot, vision and passing ability with great defense.

MacKinnon seems like the best fit for our team, but he may be the 4th or 5th ranked guy by the time the draft rolls around.

Nichushkin also sounds awesome. Him being in the KHL til 21 isn't the worst thing IMO. AFAIC it's better for him to be there as opposed to Canadian juniors or the NHL. The thought of him never coming over is overblown IMO.

Seth Jones has all the tools, but the truly dominant defenseman are what they are because they have the toolbox to go with it. It's almost impossible to tell if he has the smarts to dominate in the NHL until he actually does it. Nothing against him, it would just kill me to see us waste a top five pick on a Erik Johnson or Tyler Myers type player.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Fuelled by Passion

MacKinnon

Unless we trade Buff for a top tier center right before draft and then take Jones

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
Cut the [mod] Nationality crap, take the best player at the position you need.
Canadian kids grow up dreaming about the Stanley Cup. No one else does. In the words of Bryzgalov "we dont get paid in the playoffs"

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 03-06-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: qep
Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Personally i think the player the JETS need is Drouin. The kid has so much high end skill and the work ethic to match. He would instantly help the team's power play as early as next season be cause he is that dynamic.

So if they were picking 1st, I'd try to trade down to 3 (pick up another asset) or so if I knew I was guaranteed he'd still be there as GM's do seem to know what teams covet certain players that high in the draft.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Canadian kids grow up dreaming about the Stanley Cup. No one else does. In the words of Bryzgalov "we dont get paid in the playoffs"
your right. not a single other person on this planet who doesn't have Canadian citizenship has ever dreamed of winning a Stanley cup.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 03-06-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: please, let's not take it down that road...
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Nothing Is New

Take the best player. I like MacKinnon over Jones - a very good playmaking center may be more valuable than an excellent d-man. And Barkov wouldn't be bad at all. Good size.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Needs more Canadians.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Take whomever the scouting staff feel will be the best player, whether it's a forward or a defenseman.

If the staff feel like Jones is the #1 pick, then take Jones. If he and Trouba are ready to play in the NHL next year, make other moves to compensate (Postma, Hainsey (most likely already gone), possibly Redmond and Stuart as well). Once Bogo, Trouba, and Jones are ready to take heavy minutes, make a decision on Enstrom and Buff as well.

Or, if the Staff feel one of Drouin, Macinnon, or Barkov will be the best player, than go that route. I wouldn't be upset with any of these 3, but if the staff felt that Jones was the best, I wouldn't be happy with taking a forward "just because".

As an aside, I don't see as much press for Barkov on our forum. I wouldn't be upset in the least if TNSE thought he was going to be the best player. What he's doing in the FEL is special.
I feel like you gave everything BUT your own opinion. Lol Understand your point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
If CBJ is interested, trade it to them for their 3 - 1st rd picks in 2013, might have to throw in a 2nd.

Then move a 2nd (and/or prospect) to move up with one of those other 1st rd picks - to have 2 - top 10 picks. One top 5 (maybe top 3), other top 10. Jets would still have a 3rd pick in 1st rd (likely in the 20+ range).

Then draft:
Drouin - pure talent

Nurse - top 4, LH shut down dman

Fucale - I know, but Pavs???

Oh to dream.
Still don't understand people's fascination with taking Fucale. A goalie is at least a 4+ year project. Take one in a later round. Hell, in this scenario take one in the 2nd, but I don't agree with taking a goalie in the first unless you're thin in te system and have multiple 1sts. And we're not thin there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Well I think the really nice part of this draft is there seems to be at least two future #1 centers available. I'd heard Drouin can play C as well but plays wing so he can play with MacKinnon. Barkov from what I heard has everything MacKinnon has except the top end acceleration. Read a lot of his scouting reports and he sounds a ton like Kopitar to me. Size, strength, good shot, vision and passing ability with great defense.

MacKinnon seems like the best fit for our team, but he may be the 4th or 5th ranked guy by the time the draft rolls around.

Nichushkin also sounds awesome. Him being in the KHL til 21 isn't the worst thing IMO. AFAIC it's better for him to be there as opposed to Canadian juniors or the NHL. The thought of him never coming over is overblown IMO.

Seth Jones has all the tools, but the truly dominant defenseman are what they are because they have the toolbox to go with it. It's almost impossible to tell if he has the smarts to dominate in the NHL until he actually does it. Nothing against him, it would just kill me to see us waste a top five pick on a Erik Johnson or Tyler Myers type player.
Yea because adding another top pairing defenseman or a 6'8 defenseman that has #1 potential is a bad idea.

Last edited by BigTuna49: 03-06-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Derp
BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Flair Hay

Not a bad idea at all. His measurable are off the charts that's for sure.

I don't think I said it was a bad idea either...just that the risk of drafting a defenseman at #1 overall is greater than taking the best forward. Hardly face palm worthy IMO, save that for Leaf fans or something.

Another potential top pairing D would be awesome. But am I the only one that thinks unless we get a high end #1 center we are almost assured to go nowhere. Most Cup winning teams post lockout have an elite center AND a low end #1 or high end #2 to compliment him. Scheifele hopefully will be the Robin to someone's Batman.

Perhaps we could be the team to break the mold? Who knows, whoever we "would" pick we still have other puzzle pieces to figure out.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
sting13

Quote:
Grow Up. One player doesn't speak for everyone. You seem to know what every person
in the world is thinking. I'm so tired people hiding behind computers who question other
peoples integrity. How anyone can say that every single Russian, Swede, American etc.
never dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup.

I dare you to stand in front of Dustin Byfuglien and say that to him.

I'm a proud Canadian and cheer for our Nation but to question the rest of the World
about what they dream of is crazy. Unless you talk to ever single player, you can't
speak for them. Only 10 of the Jets 24 players are Canadian. I doubt they would
be thrilled with your comments.

When is the last time an all Canadian team won the Stanley Cup?

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Flair Hay

06 Canes - Staal and Brind'Amour
07 Ducks - McDonald and Getzlaf
08 Wings- Datsyuk and Zetterberg
09 Pens- Crosby and Malkin
10 Hawks- Toews and (Sharp?)
11 Bruins- Kreicji and Bergeron
12 Kings- Kopitar and Richards

15 Jets- ...hopefully :p

Old
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
Grow Up. One player doesn't speak for everyone. You seem to know what every person
in the world is thinking. I'm so tired people hiding behind computers who question other
peoples integrity. How anyone can say that every single Russian, Swede, American etc.
never dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup.

I dare you to stand in front of Dustin Byfuglien and say that to him.

I'm a proud Canadian and cheer for our Nation but to question the rest of the World
about what they dream of is crazy. Unless you talk to ever single player, you can't
speak for them. Only 10 of the Jets 24 players are Canadian. I doubt they would
be thrilled with your comments.

When is the last time an all Canadian team won the Stanley Cup?
Your comments have nothing to do with MY topic which is who Winnipeg will take should they win the lottery and how it would affect them.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Whileee

It seems like a pick in the top 4 would be ideal. Any of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin or Barkov would be a huge get for the franchise. It might really help the Jets take the next step up.

A pick in the 5-7 range could also provide a lot of upside, considering Nichushkin, Monahan and Lindholm as top forward prospects. Picks 8 and below are a little less exciting, though Nurse and Zadorov seem to be strong prospects. It seems that picking 10 and below might be much more hit and miss in this draft, with some players becoming very good and others disappointing.

This really is a crucial draft for the Jets. If they can nail a couple of great prospects, with at least one having star qualities, they will greatly improve the future trajectory of the franchise.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Your comments have nothing to do with MY topic which is who Winnipeg will take should they win the lottery and how it would affect them.
So why exactly did you call him out but not the other poster that was also off-topic?

Old
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Why?

Because I'm Canadian, I like Canadians and I would like more Canadians on my hometown team. That is all. If they were Manitoba/Winnipeg boys that would be awesome. It's purely for nationalistic reasons and I have no qualms or shame about saying so. Note that in my original post I said nothing to the effect of 'Canadians are the best and non-Canadians suck eggs' or anything. I liked that Eric Fehr, Winkler boy was on our team even though he stunk while he was here.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
06 Canes - Staal and Brind'Amour
07 Ducks - McDonald and Getzlaf
08 Wings- Datsyuk and Zetterberg
09 Pens- Crosby and Malkin
10 Hawks- Toews and (Sharp?)
11 Bruins- Kreicji and Bergeron
12 Kings- Kopitar and Richards

15 Jets- ...hopefully :p
I don't think anyone will question that. But I don't think we should be so quick to think Schief can't be that guy. It's still early. But I'd also take a center anyways too.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Because I'm Canadian, I like Canadians and I would like more Canadians on my hometown team. That is all. If they were Manitoba/Winnipeg boys that would be awesome. It's purely for nationalistic reasons and I have no qualms or shame about saying so. Note that in my original post I said nothing to the effect of 'Canadians are the best and non-Canadians suck eggs' or anything. I liked that Eric Fehr, Winkler boy was on our team even though he stunk while he was here.
Well good for you. Lol

Old
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Whileee

Quote:
These "foreigners" must be really talented to perform so well for Stanley Cup champions, even when they don't care.

It's a miracle that the Detroit Red Wings won those Stanley Cups with duds like Hasek, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fedorov, etc.

Malkin has been a real slug in the playoffs for the Penguins over the years too.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
sting13

Quote:
Nothing wrong with supporting your country but it's not howTrue North or any
NHL team does business. If Seth Jones is the player they need, that's who they need
to take. You can't pass over guys simply because they are not from your country.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
I don't think anyone will question that. But I don't think we should be so quick to think Schief can't be that guy. It's still early. But I'd also take a center anyways too.
I still have faith, he's coming along just fine. Problem is we need two. Really depends where we pick.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:53 PM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
If you actually read my posts in your thread, you would see I suggested a Russian
player and other people turned it into not taking them simple because of what country
they were born in. Maybe correct the people who got it off topic, not people who
actually answered your question.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
I still have faith, he's coming along just fine. Problem is we need two. Really depends where we pick.
#8..

Old
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Whileee

Quote:
#8..
I would really like to nudge it up to #7. That would likely guarantee an option to select Nichushkin, Monahan and Lindholm.

Regarding the OP, I would probably be inclined to go with Mackinnon or Drouin with the 1st pick. I like the idea of taking a top forward over a D-man, and not just because of organizational need. I think that it is harder to project a D-man's future contribution, though I think that Jones looks like he has great potential.

But I would also consider the idea of trading down with someone who is fixated on Jones or another player at #1, as long as we can stay in the top 4 and get another strong young asset.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
He's a LW. I don't think he's played center for a while. Didn't play it in the world juniors or the KHL/VHL this year. The question is not if he'll come over at 21, the question is if he'll come over at all.

Barkov is a Finn with duel citizenship. He was born and grew up in Finland. He played internationally for Finland.
I think this is a huge concern. At age 21 if Nichushkin is an emerging star in the KHL and is offered really big money to stay, it may be very difficult for the Jets or anyone else to sign him to get him over.

Now if we were the lottery winners why would we consider taking that chance with Jones, Mackinnon and Drouin sitting there for the taking?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I would really like to nudge it up to #7. That would likely guarantee an option to select Nichushkin, Monahan and Lindholm.

Regarding the OP, I would probably be inclined to go with Mackinnon or Drouin with the 1st pick. I like the idea of taking a top forward over a D-man, and not just because of organizational need. I think that it is harder to project a D-man's future contribution, though I think that Jones looks like he has great potential.

But I would also consider the idea of trading down with someone who is fixated on Jones or another player at #1, as long as we can stay in the top 4 and get another strong young asset.
Noooo, the guy that wears #8 for us.