General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 IZOD Indycar Series Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Actually, i can go ahead and answer those...

1. talked to Kat Legge the other day. No updates there. Briscoe has signed with OAK racing to run the 2013 WEC in the LMP2 class. I also expect him to be in a one-off for Penske at Indy.

2. Dinger is doing Barber, Long Beach and Indy for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if he ran full time after Barber, only missing Brazil after that.

3. Aero Kits have been pushed back yet again. I'll be surprised if they actually happen in 2014 at this point.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Actually, i can go ahead and answer those...

1. talked to Kat Legge the other day. No updates there. Briscoe has signed with OAK racing to run the 2013 WEC in the LMP2 class. I also expect him to be in a one-off for Penske at Indy.

2. Dinger is doing Barber, Long Beach and Indy for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if he ran full time after Barber, only missing Brazil after that.

3. Aero Kits have been pushed back yet again. I'll be surprised if they actually happen in 2014 at this point.
Thanks Kev. So if Briscoe and Dinger drive Indy for RP does that mean the Capt enters 4 cars? Did they pick up new sponsorship? Can't see him running out of his own pocket.(Even if his 3 or 4 car have a better chance to win than most regulars. )

I noticed Dinger ran (is running?) nascar. I recall Tim Cindric saying they would only consider him for the Indy ride if he would commit to open wheel beyond just the one race. Are his nascar rides on a one off basis week to week? I'd really like to see him (and Sam Hornish) go back to open wheel. They could bring some additional needed competition.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Thanks Kev. So if Briscoe and Dinger drive Indy for RP does that mean the Capt enters 4 cars? Did they pick up new sponsorship? Can't see him running out of his own pocket.(Even if his 3 or 4 car have a better chance to win than most regulars. )

I noticed Dinger ran (is running?) nascar. I recall Tim Cindric saying they would only consider him for the Indy ride if he would commit to open wheel beyond just the one race. Are his nascar rides on a one off basis week to week? I'd really like to see him (and Sam Hornish) go back to open wheel. They could bring some additional needed competition.
the Dinger is in a series of races for Finch, Eddie, there is no chance Hornish will return ever to Indycar, the rumblings are/were Hornish could've easily been a 3rd Cup entry had Alliance Trucking elected to go that route, Penske has him committed to stock cars, either Nationwide or Cup.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the Dinger is in a series of races for Finch, Eddie, there is no chance Hornish will return ever to Indycar, the rumblings are/were Hornish could've easily been a 3rd Cup entry had Alliance Trucking elected to go that route, Penske has him committed to stock cars, either Nationwide or Cup.
Yeah, I know, Hornish's wife has him committed to stock cars. I'd still like to see him come back but I know it won't happen.

As to Dinger's rides with Finch, well, that's the point of my question to Kev. If RP offers him an Indy car ride requiring a mostly full season commitment, can he do so or is he committed to Finch or others in such a way he could not leave?

Old
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Finch never does paper contracts. All of his agreements are handshake deals, and The Captain has already made it clear that Dinger's top priority is the Indycar season. Finch and Penske have a gentleman's agreement that Dinger is available to Finch as long as he's not needed by Penske. I have to feel the Captain is doing a little palm greasing with Finch to return the favor.

As for Briscoe, it's a very real possibility he could be in a 4th Penske ride at Indy. If he's not there, I'd put him in the 38 at Ganassi. Briscoe turned down full season rides with Foyt, Rahal and Dragon because he felt he could make something at Penske happen. Another downside to Briscoe is he brings no money with him, so he has to get a paid ride. Briscoe's a good driver, but he's going to have to wrangle in his ego if he wants to get back in the series.

thing I'm most interested in seeing at the Open Test? Who's in the 2nd Dale Coyne car? we know it's happening, but who's it gonna be? Lots of people say Narain Karthekayin.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Finch never does paper contracts. All of his agreements are handshake deals, and The Captain has already made it clear that Dinger's top priority is the Indycar season. Finch and Penske have a gentleman's agreement that Dinger is available to Finch as long as he's not needed by Penske. I have to feel the Captain is doing a little palm greasing with Finch to return the favor.

As for Briscoe, it's a very real possibility he could be in a 4th Penske ride at Indy. If he's not there, I'd put him in the 38 at Ganassi. Briscoe turned down full season rides with Foyt, Rahal and Dragon because he felt he could make something at Penske happen. Another downside to Briscoe is he brings no money with him, so he has to get a paid ride. Briscoe's a good driver, but he's going to have to wrangle in his ego if he wants to get back in the series.

thing I'm most interested in seeing at the Open Test? Who's in the 2nd Dale Coyne car? we know it's happening, but who's it gonna be? Lots of people say Narain Karthekayin.
I like Finch and I like the Dinger. I hope this works out for both of them. I remember meeting AJ's dad at Starbucks in Long Beach (Friday before the race) just before he went to nascar. I was wearing my Tony Stewart gear and his dad was quick to want to talk nascar with me and my friends even though we were at an Indy car race. He told us who his son was and how proud he was. Seemed like an OK guy.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Briscoe with a ride at Indy, I'm just surprised that RP could run 4 cars. If I recall he usually doesn't run more than 2 anymore.

I guess you figure Ganasi has forgiven Briscoe for wrecking all those cars a few years back?

I'd still like to see TK win Indy.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
I like Finch and I like the Dinger. I hope this works out for both of them. I remember meeting AJ's dad at Starbucks in Long Beach (Friday before the race) just before he went to nascar. I was wearing my Tony Stewart gear and his dad was quick to want to talk nascar with me and my friends even though we were at an Indy car race. He told us who his son was and how proud he was. Seemed like an OK guy.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Briscoe with a ride at Indy, I'm just surprised that RP could run 4 cars. If I recall he usually doesn't run more than 2 anymore.

I guess you figure Ganasi has forgiven Briscoe for wrecking all those cars a few years back?

I'd still like to see TK win Indy.
Eddie:

that's why Dragon exists, w/ Jay Penske, at the helm as to not create a conflict of interest, much like why Ganassi has split the 38/83 and Franchitti/Dixon (9/10), there were questions as Kev said, if sponsorship hadn't materialized w/ Phoenix Racing and Finch, as Kev stated, everything there is a handshake deal ever since Miccosukee was forced to leave as their sponsor, he ran 3 much of last year.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
KevFist
is best pony

So this morning, Penske made it official that he's running Dinger at Barber and Indy. Word today is the 2nd Coyne car is going to be Bia. Guess we'll find out on Monday. Dale says the 2nd car is a full time entry too.

Dragon is running two fulltime cars in Seabass and Saavedra. I wouldn't rule out a 3rd with Briscoe. that's where he started his Indycar career after all.

Tomas Scheckter says he has an announcement coming up.... Then again, he says that every year...

Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
So this morning, Penske made it official that he's running Dinger at Barber and Indy. Word today is the 2nd Coyne car is going to be Bia. Guess we'll find out on Monday. Dale says the 2nd car is a full time entry too.

Dragon is running two fulltime cars in Seabass and Saavedra. I wouldn't rule out a 3rd with Briscoe. that's where he started his Indycar career after all.

Tomas Scheckter says he has an announcement coming up.... Then again, he says that every year...
Yeah, somebody has probably hired him to wreck a car at Indy this year.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
OKHoosier41218

So I'm hearing that Justin Wilson's bro will take the road and streets while Bia takes the ovals in the 2nd Coyne car? Glad to see Stefen get a shot if that's indeed the case. Don't know much about him, though if he's anything like his brother he'll be a good one.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Yep.... Stef Wilson to the 2nd Coyne car. Bia gets Sao Paulo and the ovals. Stef's a good kid. He's really deserved a shot for quite some time.

Here's my first article from the test....
http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/11/in...words-or-less/

Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Yep.... Stef Wilson to the 2nd Coyne car. Bia gets Sao Paulo and the ovals. Stef's a good kid. He's really deserved a shot for quite some time.

Here's my first article from the test....
Thanks Kev. How's Dario doing now that he got rid of that boat anchor around his neck? It's gotta be an improvement at least for everyone else in the pit/garage area.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:35 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Dario was like a different person! Completely loosey goosey. Super relaxed.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Dario was like a different person! Completely loosey goosey. Super relaxed.
Glad to hear he lost the Hollywood influence.

Kev, are you traveling to any of the races this year?

Old
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Glad to hear he lost the Hollywood influence.

Kev, are you traveling to any of the races this year?
Yep! I'll also be at Barber, Indy, Texas, and Houston. Looking to do the entire schedule next year.

Here's my assembled works so far from the test. More to come.

http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/12/in...1-the-morning/
http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/12/in...1-driver-talk/
http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/14/in...2-driver-talk/

Old
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Yep! I'll also be at Barber, Indy, Texas, and Houston. Looking to do the entire schedule next year.

Here's my assembled works so far from the test. More to come.

http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/12/in...1-the-morning/
http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/12/in...1-driver-talk/
http://openpaddock.net/2013/03/14/in...2-driver-talk/
Thanks for the updates.

You are missing out if you don't do Long Beach. Sell your soul if you have to. Get there. I actually enjoy Friday better than race day. I go with some friends and we are there the whole day. Great atmosphere, great eye candy, lunch on the water, watch two practice sessions and see the drivers at end of the day paddock meet and greet. Dinner at Hooters just off the course. You can't have a better day on earth.

Edit: I guess after my sales pitch on Long Beach I should add this for those interested (lurkers too ). Every year you can find free tickets to Fridays Long Beach event. This year that will be April 19th. Here is a link where you can print two free tickets to attend. If you have the time, you should go. A great day at the beach.

http://www.iegreatdeals.com/2013/03/...riday-tickets/

Last edited by Eddie Shack: 03-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I'd love to do Long Beach! My buddy Rut is in the Celebrity race this year, AND y'all are getting the Robby Gordon truck race!

Old
03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
I'd love to do Long Beach! My buddy Rut is in the Celebrity race this year, AND y'all are getting the Robby Gordon truck race!
Oh, you know about that? My buddy knows Robby and has been bending my ear about Robby's big plans with the new series of truck races. I might get some free tickets for the LA or Vegas race. Tickets for LB not as doable due to the tie in with IndyCar.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
OKHoosier41218

I'm really curious to see what Stef could do. The more I've seen Justin race, the more I like him.

At least we're just a week away now. These long offseasons suck!

Old
03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom18 View Post
I'm really curious to see what Stef could do. The more I've seen Justin race, the more I like him.

At least we're just a week away now. These long offseasons suck!
I'll just put it this way about Stef. He got one session in the car at Barber because Bia had technical issues on Tuesday. By the end of the session, with absolutely zero experience in a DW12, Stef was a little over 2 seconds off Will Power's best time, and still dropping when time ran out.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
AintLifeGrand

Bold Predictions:

1. Newgarden, Rahal, Kanaan, Marco, or RHR win Indy
2. Will Power has more DNFs than wins
3. Rahal finishes in top 5 in championship points
4. Pageneaud carries SSM into the ranks of Andretti, Ganassi, and Penske
5. Dinger goes full time in 2013- Helio joins TK at KV

Old
03-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Bold Predictions:

1. Newgarden, Rahal, Kanaan, Marco, or RHR win Indy
2. Will Power has more DNFs than wins
3. Rahal finishes in top 5 in championship points
4. Pageneaud carries SSM into the ranks of Andretti, Ganassi, and Penske
5. Dinger goes full time in 2013- Helio joins TK at KV
You mean 2014? I've always liked the Dinger and am really glad to see him back in open wheel. I hope you are right.

I'd love to see TK win Indy. I've been pulling for him for a long time.

If Marco weren't a blood relative he would have been fired years ago. Way to cocky for a no talent hack. He could get lucky, but I hope not. 3 generations of Andrettis, and not one has ever been responsible for a wreck they were in. How incredible is that?

I really really miss Dan Wheldon. RIP Dan.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Marco is the most boring interview ever. Then again, I talked to Josef Newgarden right before I talked to Marco. Marco's grown up a bit. He doesn't give off the spoiled brat vibe in person anymore, but he just seems to have no personality.

I think Dario gets his 4th 500 this year. If he doesn't get it, I honestly think it'll be someone like Sato or Vautier.

Power? Nope. Will Power breaks through and gets his championship this year. It's either Power or Dixon.

I don't see Graham finishing Top 5. dare I say I think James Jakes will have a better season.

I agree on Pagenaud. He and Vautier are such a likeable pair. And to make sure everyone pronounces it properly, it 's "VOH-tee-ay" not "VAW-tee-ay"

I also agree on Dinger. I think he goes full time in 2014 as well. He said at Media Day the only real reason he went to Cup was he wasn't sure of his Indycar ride. turns out he was right, because Forsyth didn't go to the IRL post merger.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:29 PM
OKHoosier41218

Quote:
Marco is the most boring interview ever. Then again, I talked to Josef Newgarden right before I talked to Marco. Marco's grown up a bit. He doesn't give off the spoiled brat vibe in person anymore, but he just seems to have no personality.

I think Dario gets his 4th 500 this year. If he doesn't get it, I honestly think it'll be someone like Sato or Vautier.

Power? Nope. Will Power breaks through and gets his championship this year. It's either Power or Dixon.

I don't see Graham finishing Top 5. dare I say I think James Jakes will have a better season.

I agree on Pagenaud. He and Vautier are such a likeable pair. And to make sure everyone pronounces it properly, it 's "VOH-tee-ay" not "VAW-tee-ay"

I also agree on Dinger. I think he goes full time in 2014 as well. He said at Media Day the only real reason he went to Cup was he wasn't sure of his Indycar ride. turns out he was right, because Forsyth didn't go to the IRL post merger.

I agree with you on Will Power. My feeling on him is that once he gets a win on an oval (his Texas 2011 race 2 win aside), that he'll break through and finally get his title. Right now, he's my pick for Indy. I can't see Team Penske having problems at Indy again this year.

I'd love to see Dixon get another Indy win, though it'd be really cool to see another 4-time winner.

I can understand Dinger's reasoning for going to Cup, consider how much of a mess open wheel was at that time. While I was angry at first, you can't really fault him for chasing not only the $$$ amount and for some type of stability. It didn't seem right him being behind the wheel of a Cup car. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does behind the wheel of an IndyCar. I'd love to see him in IndyCar fulltime.

Kev, has there been any more rumors of any additions to the driver lineup this year? Or is everything pretty much set at this time?

Old
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:

Boring would be an improvement for Marco. The guy has a pissed off attitude any time he's interviewed. His schtick has grown way too old.

Dario owes TK an Indy win before he thinks about getting #4.

Sure would love to see Hornish back but I understand his wife put her foot down about that a few years ago didn't she?

Closed Thread