HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Don't look now, but Nashville is 10th in the West. And they are basically 11th since LA is 1 point back with 3 games in hand.

If we could get that pick in the 40-42 range, that would be superb.
would also be good if the stars missed the playoffs as well as the pick could end up in the low 70's if we get lucky. Need all 3 of flames, nashville and stars to miss the playoffs while needing Oilers, Avs, TB, Caps, Sabres to win more.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I'm pretty pumped about the whole draft being done in one day. I always hated the wait from the night of round 1 until the next day

Now to clear my schedule wayyy in advance for June 30th....

Old
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm pretty pumped about the whole draft being done in one day. I always hated the wait from the night of round 1 until the next day
Last June I was so pumped up for our pick at 33 - as well as so excited that we drafted Galchenyuk - I could barely sleep on that Friday night.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:

Same here, man. I wonder how it will be televised. Will they do the regular thing for the first round, and then end the program there? I would love to see it continue at least for the next few rounds. I'll probably be at a bar again for the draft, so it would suck if that's where the show ended and I had to start following it on my phone to see who we draft.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
All I hope for is that we see a Stephen Harper-Paul Martin fight someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofytown View Post
Can you watch the full 7 rounds on tsn or do yo need NHL network?
Those two posts - one directly after the other is just wrong.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Last June I was so pumped up for our pick at 33 - as well as so excited that we drafted Galchenyuk - I could barely sleep on that Friday night.
I had a dentist appointment in the morning the following day...I thought the draft started later (like 3pm instead of noon) and when I realized my error, it was too late to change the appointment.

So I was texting my brother the whole way home asking who we picked and who went where

As for the programming, they'll probably do like last year...TSN's show will end after the first round and NHL Network's awful coverage will pick up from there.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
S Bah

The Habs could always trade for the guaranteed #1 winner of all time from the Bruins the referees help!

Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Anyone watch the Dub?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=63193

Would he be worth any pick ?

He looks like he's alright skater.

Doesn't seem to be that good of a fighter when you watch videos.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan#1 View Post
Guys if we pick around 25 to 30 what do prefer Ryan Hartman,Kerby Rychel or Bo Horvat????
It's between Hartman or Horvat for me. Both of them have just as much upside as Rychel, but are also safer bets to become NHLers. I see Rychel as more of boom/bust prospects who's boom isn't even really that big. His skating, puck skills, and consistency all need some serious work.

Horvat is a leader and is great in the dot. His physicality comes and goes, but he's always working extremely hard at both ends of the ice. Great hands, too. I like his upside, he shows some good flashes, but I just don't ever know if he'll become a top 6 forward...even if he has the ability to do so. They are few and far between, so it really makes you wonder.

Hartman is very physical, skilled with the puck and is a great penalty killer. A really in-your-face type player. Because of that, I'd prefer Hartman. He's the type of player that we could really use. A gritty, skilled player who can slot anywhere in the line up and be effective.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
It's between Hartman or Horvat for me. Both of them have just as much upside as Rychel, but are also safer bets to become NHLers. I see Rychel as more of boom/bust prospects who's boom isn't even really that big. His skating, puck skills, and consistency all need some serious work.

Horvat is a leader and is great in the dot. His physicality comes and goes, but he's always working extremely hard at both ends of the ice. Great hands, too. I like his upside, he shows some good flashes, but I just don't ever know if he'll become a top 6 forward...even though he has the ability to do so.

Hartman is very physical, skilled with the puck and is a great penalty killer. A really in-your-face type player. Because of that, I'd prefer Hartman. He's the type of player that we could really use. A gritty, skilled player who can slot anywhere in the line up and be effective.
I love both players,(Bo and Hartman that is.) it's really a hard choice. Horvat is smart with the puck and has that leadership intangible. I'd pick Lazar over those two though who plays like both guys combined and is a much better fighter.

I have a man-crush on him. Would really be happy to land him, I doubt it happens, though. He will probably go to the Flyers or the Bruins...

Last edited by Mrb1p: 03-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Usually I agree but waking up last year just as they drafted Collberg was like Christmas.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:06 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Anyone watch the Dub?

At his size and reach he doesn't have to be Cassius Clay.There are a lot of talented players available as free agents still in the CHL and in the 5th,6th and 7th rds.Ryan Hartman is a really good choice in the 1st rd.he may be the BPA for the Habs when their pick comes.In a deep draft such as this one the BPA can be the exact player the Habs need,a player that's relentless in his checking and always finishes his checks.Hartman isn't alone when it comes to that Kerby Rychel,Curtis Lazar,Bo Horvat,JT Compher,Connor Hurley and Justin Bailey come to mind.All of these players would have made a difference in last night's match with the NYI's.They are the players to look for when building a playoff team and drafting late in the 1st or in the 2nd & 3rd rds.Possibly Samuel Carrier,that holds way more upside than Kanzig.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Anyone watch the Dub?

I've probably watched Victoria about a half a dozen times this year and nothing about him really stands out in my memory, which is both good and bad. I've been focused on other players that I'm more interested in on their team. Not the answer you want but that's the way it goes.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

This Petan guy impressed the hell out of me in the TPG.

Hopefully we can get him at some point.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
This Petan guy impressed the hell out of me in the TPG.

Hopefully we can get him at some point.
Petan is something like Giroux in his draft year. Offensive guru but slide in rankings due to size

Last edited by Mats86: 03-07-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
phillytennis

I like Hartman...around 25th overall!!

I would like us to pick Hartman or Petan...with our 1st overall pick. Petan can easily be another Kane or Giroux. I like the way Dauphin plays...we could use the Calgary pick to draft him early in the second round.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
MaxLacoste

With a late 1st round pick, Petan is my choice. He will be a steal and after 20th pick, nobody have is potential. Could be a first line player. With our 2nd and 3rd pick, we can adress our size need, with guy like De La Rose, Hill, Fasching, Morin, Downing, Olsson. We could even try to pick Petan AND Duclair. Then Hill and Morin. This would be a awesome first two rounds.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
With a late 1st round pick, Petan is my choice. He will be a steal and after 20th pick, nobody have is potential. Could be a first line player. With our 2nd and 3rd pick, we can adress our size need, with guy like De La Rose, Hill, Fasching, Morin, Downing, Olsson. We could even try to pick Petan AND Duclair. Then Hill and Morin. This would be a awesome first two rounds.
One thing I'd want is diversity in our line up. We don't have anyone in the style of petan and in the style of a big power forward(a real one, not a patches style one) in our prospect pool we should try to address this

Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
One thing I'd want is diversity in our line up. We don't have anyone in the style of petan and in the style of a big power forward(a real one, not a patches style one) in our prospect pool we should try to address this
The Habs might find the BPA is Lazar,Klimchuk,Hartman or Dman Diaby,all of whom will take a couple of years development at the very least.Power forwards usually take longer and the best bets in the 2nd & 3rd rounds are Ty Hill,Nick Moutrey,Justin Bailey then a few Dmen in Samuel Morin,Mirco Mueller and Mitchell Wheaton.Samuel Henley could be a late 3rd round pick from Val d'Or.William Carrier would be my pick for a 2nd rounder depending on his recovery from injury.Got to run.

Last edited by S Bah: 03-07-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
SnapVirus

Id take Jordan Subban. Just because im sure the Bruins will take him after us. And they would have two.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:38 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Have yet to start reading in to potential prospects for this draft so I can't really give myself an idea. Hypothetically, considering the level & quality of prospects available, would it be better for MB to use one of the second rounders along with our late first rounder to trade up and get a mid-first round pick? Or would it be wiser to stay put and trust Timmins to find some good talent by taking some risks since the Habs got a good quantity of top90 picks?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:38 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
All I hope for is that we see a Stephen Harper-Paul Martin fight someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Have yet to start reading in to potential prospects for this draft so I can't really give myself an idea. Hypothetically, considering the level & quality of prospects available, would it be better for MB to use one of the second rounders along with our late first rounder to trade up and get a mid-first round pick? Or would it be wiser to stay put and trust Timmins to find some good talent by taking some risks since the Habs got a good quantity of top90 picks?
With this kind of draft, the more picks, the merrier. But right now we have 6 picks in the top90, so I think we should stay put.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
would it be better for MB to use one of the second rounders along with our late first rounder to trade up and get a mid-first round pick?
It really depends on who is still available at that possible mid-round pick for me. There's a group of about 14-15 guys I think are worth sacrificing a 2nd (or more) to get if we're picking in the 20's.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Im not completely against getting Zykov, Rychel, or Hartman late in the 1st, but the more I follow things and assuming our draft postion is 20-26 range I'd love to see the Habs move up.

Grabbing one of Domi, Wennberg, or Erne would be a fantastic way to start the draft I think and are a step above the guys we'll see go in the 20's.

With two 2nd's and two 3rd's left there is still plenty of potential for quantity.

Last edited by KadoCH: 03-07-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Forgot Zykov
Old
03-06-2013, 11:39 PM
rockjngo

I don't know who we're taking first round but since we have 3 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks, there's some players who will be available in the second and third round we can consider.

Anthony Duclair
Jordan Subban
Andre Burakowsky
Jacob De La Rose
Ryan Kujawinski

Closed Thread