HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Dangleberry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Does NBC and MSG use the same camera? I don't remember seeing that ledge on the MSG feed..
There's a row of about 6 of them in front of me, some are focused on individual players, some on the puck. It's the same cameras, but could be a different crew.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
quite possible, but the camera just seems to be placed too far back from the ledge there. That ledge should never come into the shot
Now that I look closer, I see the ledge you're talking about from the NBC feed. Don't remember seeing that on the MSG feed, but ill look closer when I get home, I DVR every game.

I was referring to how slow the MSG camera operators have been since they moved the cameras down. They need to compensate differently because the cameras are closer to the ice. They should have it down by now though. Weird...

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post
No, just the opposite, actually. I wanted a beer, but I didn't bother getting up... because I knew if these guys aimed their wrath at me... I'd have run my mouth at them. It's just all about common courtesy. We pride ourselves on being a classy fanbase, but it seems that's going out the window pretty fast lately. It's a sad state of affairs.
Some fans in attendance need to hear it.... Getting up in the middle of the play when they're seated in the middle of a row of seats so that 10-12 people on either side have to stand up and ruin the view for many other fans who are just trying to follow the play without interruption.... Many people don't understand the common courtesy that is expected to be extended while attending a game and hearing other fans make mention of it sends the message quick.... I never open my mouth about it but I'm thankful of the fans that do. Last year I attended a game where an out of town couple sat next to me and they must have gotten up 5 or 6 times while the play was going on... Any time they wanted to use the bathroom or get another beer they would just get up with no consideration whatsoever..... It go to the point where I was going to politely say something to them but decided to bite my lip....

Also, I wasn't following when you suggested that there is less time between whistles????

I went to the Caps game a weekend or two ago which was my first trip to MSG this particular season. When we went to our seats we found that people were sitting in them.... The game was about to start so rather than make a commotion and disrupt peoples' view, we walked to the top of the arena walkway and watched the game for a few minutes until there was a stoppage in play. We notified an usher and showed him our tickets and he went down and notified the people in our seats to move, which they did.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
nyrmetros

Ideally, everyone in the arena should be standing during the game, so this wouldn't be an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBGIvCvokw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7EJp7nq7w

Old
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Now that I look closer, I see the ledge you're talking about from the NBC feed. Don't remember seeing that on the MSG feed, but ill look closer when I get home, I DVR every game.

I was referring to how slow the MSG camera operators have been since they moved the cameras down. They need to compensate differently because the cameras are closer to the ice. They should have it down by now though. Weird...
They are also zoomed in way too far. On Nash's 1st goal they were on him so tight you couldn't even see that he scored until well after it was in the net. Just silly.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
rick063092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt67 View Post
I'm not outspoken and I don't typically yell at people who get up during the game but sometimes I am thankful for the people who do.
People need to use some common courtesy and have some respect for the other spectators. Your not in your living room by yourself, think about it as sharing one very big screen with 18000 friends.
Wait for whistles before you get up.
Wait for whistles before you return to your seat even if there is no usher there telling you to do so.
Dont run to the bathroom or beer vendor 30 seconds before the end of the period unless there is a stoppage. The lines arent that bad and you have 18 minutes in between periods.
And please, know where youre going before you leave the tunnel, theres nothing worse than the same idiot standing in front of you during the game looking around for the same seat he couldnt find the last 3 times he went to get a beer (they don't move them during the game).
This!! and it's still astonishing how people still can't find their seats w/ section and seating posted above every tunnel entrance/exit in the place...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
alotlikehomer

People should definitely wait for a break in the action, but MSG didn't help matters by making rows of 24 seats.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt67 View Post
I'm not outspoken and I don't typically yell at people who get up during the game but sometimes I am thankful for the people who do.
People need to use some common courtesy and have some respect for the other spectators. Your not in your living room by yourself, think about it as sharing one very big screen with 18000 friends.
Wait for whistles before you get up.
Wait for whistles before you return to your seat even if there is no usher there telling you to do so.
Dont run to the bathroom or beer vendor 30 seconds before the end of the period unless there is a stoppage. The lines arent that bad and you have 18 minutes in between periods.
And please, know where youre going before you leave the tunnel, theres nothing worse than the same idiot standing in front of you during the game looking around for the same seat he couldnt find the last 3 times he went to get a beer (they don't move them during the game).
All very valid and excellent points. I was people-watching for a good amount of time last night, and what I noticed however, was that people WERE waiting for a whistle. All of a sudden, you'd see a swarm coming up the stairs. Unfortunately, you've got the bottleneck at the front of the wave that slows down everyone behind. And it was those last few people getting screamed at, when obviously they couldn't help it.

That said, I really do feel bad for the people on the ends of these new, disgustingly narrow rows. They're constantly getting up and down and up and down to let people in. The only saving grace about my new seats is that it's smack-dab in the middle of the row, so I only had to deal with people walking through during the intermissions... which is fine.

Maybe it's just something that's always happened, and I hadn't noticed the past 10 years or so. I used to be last row, with a wall behind me, so I didn't have to deal with much shuffling of bodies. This year, it's people in front, people behind, people next to us... all shifting, standing, sitting, talking about hack jokes they heard on the radio, their kids' crap sizes and consistencies, etc... all during play. At least my seats are cheaper this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Some fans in attendance need to hear it.... Getting up in the middle of the play when they're seated in the middle of a row of seats so that 10-12 people on either side have to stand up and ruin the view for many other fans who are just trying to follow the play without interruption....
Yeah, that absolutely should never happen and fk the people who do that. But that's not what I saw last night. I'm talking about people who were at the gate, waited for a whistle, and tried to get back to their seats before the next faceoff, but didn't get into the row in time. Not a TV timeout. I'm talking about the shorter gaps between a whistle and faceoff. Sometimes they come quick. The problem is, stairs now are too narrow and if you've got to squeeze past 5 people on the stairs, and 10 people in a row, it's a mad dash to get in.

As I said, I've found it far easier to just sit and wait till intermission. God knows my liver could use the break. But I guess the one-off people who only come to a game or two haven't picked up on that yet.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
That said, I really do feel bad for the people on the ends of these new, disgustingly narrow rows. They're constantly getting up and down and up and down to let people in.
Thank you.

I was telling my buddy last night that I miss my old six-seat row....

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
03-06-2013, 04:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yeah, that absolutely should never happen and fk the people who do that. But that's not what I saw last night. I'm talking about people who were at the gate, waited for a whistle, and tried to get back to their seats before the next faceoff, but didn't get into the row in time. Not a TV timeout. I'm talking about the shorter gaps between a whistle and faceoff. Sometimes they come quick. The problem is, stairs now are too narrow and if you've got to squeeze past 5 people on the stairs, and 10 people in a row, it's a mad dash to get in.

As I said, I've found it far easier to just sit and wait till intermission. God knows my liver could use the break. But I guess the one-off people who only come to a game or two haven't picked up on that yet.
Regarding the game the other night when you were describing your experience - was there by any chance an individual who was obnoxiously screaming 'WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!!!"?

Only reason I ask is that my old seats were in 425 which I think is now 220, which is close to where you said your section was.... And there was a guy who would sit at the back of Section 424 who was all over peoples' ass if they were getting up or going to their seats while the gameplay was going on.... My buddy and I always would have a good chuckle every time we heard him do it.... I was laughing when I saw photos of the new garden layout with regards to how big the sections are now, because I realized that that individual would have a much larger territory of seats to patrol & enforce, lol.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Regarding the game the other night when you were describing your experience - was there by any chance an individual who was obnoxiously screaming 'WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!!!"?

Only reason I ask is that my old seats were in 425 which I think is now 220, which is close to where you said your section was.... And there was a guy who would sit at the back of Section 424 who was all over peoples' ass if they were getting up or going to their seats while the gameplay was going on.... My buddy and I always would have a good chuckle every time we heard him do it.... I was laughing when I saw photos of the new garden layout with regards to how big the sections are now, because I realized that that individual would have a much larger territory of seats to patrol & enforce, lol.
Yeah, I hear that guy all the time. It's a wonder he doesn't tire himself out. Some people just have to play the role of a hero I guess. I can't be sure, but I think that guy is one section to the right of where I sit.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
JoeBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Ideally, everyone in the arena should be standing during the game, so this wouldn't be an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBGIvCvokw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7EJp7nq7w
Greatest dream ever.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yeah, I hear that guy all the time. It's a wonder he doesn't tire himself out. Some people just have to play the role of a hero I guess. I can't be sure, but I think that guy is one section to the right of where I sit.
I didn't mind it when I would hear it as I felt it added to the atmosphere and was a reflection of the stereotypical 'New Yorker' type of crowd.... Only thing that annoys me about the MSG experience now (aside from the outrageous price of concessions) is hearing the Potvin chant 5-7 times a game.....

Old
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
rick063092

It's easy to tell the people who have waited and are coming up the stairs en masse. Due to configuration of new MSG, no reason to yell for waiting for a whistle at these people..I have no problem however saying something to those making/coming back from a beer/ food/piss run during play..or deciding to stand in middle of aisle after making said run looking for his buddies..call it NY attitude or hockey etiquette..what you don't see anymore is people ducking/sitting in aisle if they get caught in between (which you used to see). I'm in the 200's a few have walked up to back of section when caught between whistle and quick face-off..but that's a lot of rows...

Potvin Whistle # is at least double that lately..as bad as that is, if they're playing a Canadian team, the booing the Canadian anthem and USA chants are ridiculous..

Old
03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Baby Punisher

I forgot to add to this thread last week after the Tampa game in which I attended.

First time at MSG since the upper level renovation. I actually enjoyed my time there. The leg room & seat size felt a little bigger than my own sec. 304 seats. The sight lines are much better. I feel like I can see the entire ice & my seats over all felt higher up than my previous seats yet the angle made me feel closer to the ice.

There were enough food & drink options. The halls seemed crowded in between periods, but it felt no diffirent than the old 100 section.

I am starting to wonder how the bridges will play a part in the new arena without being a distraction.

overall it looks nice, sounded ok, not as loud as the old arena. Personally I think MSG looks like every other arena out there & aside from the unique ceiling nothing sets MSG apart from any other venue.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I forgot to add to this thread last week after the Tampa game in which I attended.

First time at MSG since the upper level renovation. I actually enjoyed my time there. The leg room & seat size felt a little bigger than my own sec. 304 seats. The sight lines are much better. I feel like I can see the entire ice & my seats over all felt higher up than my previous seats yet the angle made me feel closer to the ice.

There were enough food & drink options. The halls seemed crowded in between periods, but it felt no diffirent than the old 100 section.

I am starting to wonder how the bridges will play a part in the new arena without being a distraction.

overall it looks nice, sounded ok, not as loud as the old arena. Personally I think MSG looks like every other arena out there & aside from the unique ceiling nothing sets MSG apart from any other venue.
I've always enjoyed sitting higher up in arenas to have more of a bird's eye view of the action....

Agree about improved sightlines in the new 200's (400's)... It's a shame they're going to add those bridges when everything is perfect just the way it is.... I like being able to see Gardenvision and being able to look across the arena and see the other sections as well as being able to see the ceiling.... The bridges will change all of that though....

Old
03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Jax1166

Quote:

Aren't your seats like 10X better now?

I went to the Garden last month and I cannot believe people would complain. It is the nicest arena I have been to...the 200s concourses are nicer than the Verizon club section.

It is very nice to have a less segragated set up.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Aren't your seats like 10X better now?

I went to the Garden last month and I cannot believe people would complain. It is the nicest arena I have been to...the 200s concourses are nicer than the Verizon club section.

It is very nice to have a less segragated set up.
No, it's really not. Imagine sitting in the middle of the section where 10 people have to get up as opposed to only 3 or 4. Before, it was easy to meet up with people during intermissions. Now it's just a huge ****ing hassle unless you're in nearby sections. The new concourse is narrow as ****, probably because of additional vendors and such. Honestly, I wasn't fully aware about the new seat size until the past few games. If you have 3 grown men sitting in a row, it's gonna be knee to knee. Worse than the MTA bus if you ask me.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
RUSF18

I don't mind the seat size, and I'm not a skinny guy...but the narrow concourses are really terrible. I have no idea what they were thinking. There is absolutely no room to accommodate both walking traffic and concession lines backing up. And there's no way to prevent the back up thanks to how MSG staffs and operates the concessions.

There's a beer line right outside where I normally sit (226 thanks to a buddy), one with three sets of multiple taps. You have three guys working them, and their job is to check IDs, fill beers, ask for money, and make change. Sorry but that is enormously stupid. Hire two people to work in between these three guys to handle the cash and check IDs so that these poor guys can fill beer and fill it quickly. It doesn't help that they've made beer prices to be the most difficult possible for change-making purposes at $10.25 or $10.50. Obviously they do it that way instead of a nice quick $10 so those quarters end up in the tip jar, but the extra time that goes into it probably loses them more money in the long haul.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
NYRSection227

I used to be in the first row of the old Section 304 with the first two seats on the aisle and now in row 2 of the new 227, exactly in the middle of the row. I like the new seats in terms of sightlines and although higher, closer to the ice. One issue I have is now I'm smack in the middle of the new, longer row, making it tougher to get in and out even during intermission. Leg room is no better than my old seats with the retaining wall in front of me, even though the 2nd row is considered a "gallery row" and that legroom would be better than the old seats. Everything else looks great but the jury's still out with me. One thing I can say is the seats in row 1 are definitely not worth the $50 more a game the ticket price calls for.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
I don't mind the seat size, and I'm not a skinny guy...but the narrow concourses are really terrible. I have no idea what they were thinking. There is absolutely no room to accommodate both walking traffic and concession lines backing up. And there's no way to prevent the back up thanks to how MSG staffs and operates the concessions.
The concourse for the upper bowl is now located on the 8th floor. The concourse for the old 200's / 300's used to be on the 7th floor (Hence the gates to the old yellows and greens being in the 70's).

The amount of space between the back of the bowl and the perimeter of the building itself shrinks as you go higher in the building. You can argue that since the new upper bowl was pushed closer to the ice, you get some of that back... it may even a BIT wider... But the problem is that you now have everyone who used to make use of the old 300's AND 400's now need to use the same concourse. In the past, you had not only the 7th floor "full circle" concourse, but the "hidden" concourses on the 8th floors (which ran along 31st and 33rd streets).

Circulation between seats and concourses has definitely suffered in the renovation.

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

At MSG now and they've already started work on the lobby. Don't know how to describe it but they blocked off a big section of the north and south sides of the lobby.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
At MSG now and they've already started work on the lobby. Don't know how to describe it but they blocked off a big section of the north and south sides of the lobby.
With the NHL season ending late and the Knicks with good chances of getting past the first round, MSG is going to have a time crunch to build those new bridges and replace the garden floor, ice plant, scoreboard, and entire lobby. So I guess it makes sense that they have to start now. I bet they'll have to cancel the Knicks preseason games again and make the Rangers start on the road for the first couple weeks

Old
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Here's a picture. Posting it from my phone so I can only post the link.

http://twitter.com/NYRFAN218/status/...227520/photo/1

It's the same exact thing on th north side of the lobby too. It seems like a major fire hazard if there ever was one considering how jam packed it is leaving after a game already but oh well.

Closed Thread