HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point/how do you rest players

Old
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Taze em

vCash: 500
At what point/how do you rest players

Hey guys longtime lurker and this streak has been a treat to watch. I wonder how/if/when you all would rest some players.

To me starting at 15 games left, I'd start resting guys on b2b especially on the road. Also, do you see Hayes/morin or anyone coming up to see some time in a replacement role?

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
madgoat33

start managing minutes soon and straight up rest guys if/once we hit 58pts.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
Hey guys longtime lurker and this streak has been a treat to watch. I wonder how/if/when you all would rest some players.

To me starting at 15 games left, I'd start resting guys on b2b especially on the road. Also, do you see Hayes/morin or anyone coming up to see some time in a replacement role?
Yeah, I think it would be wise to give Hossa a game or two off near the end, Bolland as well, and then anyone who is banged up. I wouldn't change their minutes in the game much but banged up guys and guys that tend to get hurt like Bolland and Hoss should get a game or two breather to recharge their batteries. You want to keep the same rhythm with the shift changes and pace during the games though, regardless of what the lineup is that night. Also, as you mentioned, we have a group of good young players that need to get some NHL time this year if they can.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Illinihockey

Was thinking about this earlier. Do what Popavich does with the Spurs, just let Keith sit for a game, let Hossa have a night off...let the 3rd and 4th lines carry the bulk of the minutes some nights.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

They were resting during the third period yesterday.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Was thinking about this earlier. Do what Popavich does with the Spurs, just let Keith sit for a game, let Hossa have a night off...let the 3rd and 4th lines carry the bulk of the minutes some nights.
I agree 100% with this although I might take it one step further than pop (wonder if Bettman would get angry ala stern v pop). I really don't care about the presidents trophy so some that do might disagree but a real advantage the hawks have given themselves is the ability to be100% in the playoffs. Sit the big guns and let some of the young guys play especially on the road.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 AM
sketch22

The Hawks can't bring anyone up unless a current roster player goes on LTIR or is demoted. So if they decide to rest the big guns the only people they could be replaced with are the guys in the press box right now.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
The Hawks can't bring anyone up unless a current roster player goes on LTIR or is demoted. So if they decide to rest the big guns the only people they could be replaced with are the guys in the press box right now.
Right which is why I brought up resting Keith and Seabrook. You have Brookbank sitting there ready to go and sounds like Montador will be around soon as well. You can't really bench a bunch of the forwards but you could put one or two on the bench and play Mayers and Bollig (or send Bollig down and bring up another player).

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Right which is why I brought up resting Keith and Seabrook. You have Brookbank sitting there ready to go and sounds like Montador will be around soon as well. You can't really bench a bunch of the forwards but you could put one or two on the bench and play Mayers and Bollig (or send Bollig down and bring up another player).
If send billing down, bring up Hayes and sit hossa

Old
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
This is what I said like a week or so ago, even mentioning the Spurs handling their stars like that. Good comparison and the way I would like to see it. Rest a star or 2 here and there if you have a one game road trip, let that player stay home. Things like that. We build this lead in the standings, we should maximize the benefits that could provide.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
jaysoneil

Rest players in a season cut in half? They're just gaining steam.

Depending on the playoff seed, give a guy a game off or two mainly to give the depth guys some playing time before the playoffs.

Other than that, let this train keep rolling.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Sarava

I wouldn't give anyone a day off unless they seem to be physically dragging. But you can limit their minutes and try to keep them fresh in the first place. And I think we've seen Q doing that since the start of the season.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
sketch22

Quote:
Once Monty comes back someone will have to be sent down to open up a roster spot for him (or he could be sent down to keep the roster as is).

Old
03-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Once Monty comes back someone will have to be sent down to open up a roster spot for him (or he could be sent down to keep the roster as is).
IMO you make him a healthy scratch the rest of the season then buy him out this summer. Don't let him play when he gets back, because he will probably get injured again.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
IMO you make him a healthy scratch the rest of the season then buy him out this summer. Don't let him play when he gets back, because he will probably get injured again.
I understand the sentiment. I was just saying that the Hawks would still have to waive him or someone else once he comes off of LTIR. Even if the Hawks don't plan on Monty playing, once he is off LTIR he will still take up a roster spot until he is waived and assigned to Rockford.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:52 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

At this point in the season, Q needs to keep rotating the 4 lines like he has done most games…. Avoid the temptation of overplaying any player or line. The great first half should allow some flexibility to rest players later in the season…. A luxury that some teams won’t have due to a sluggish start to this season. It may take some convincing to sit anyone for a game here and there, but I would definitely give Hossa, Sharp, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook some time off. As well as Kane, Stalberg, Bickell, Shaw, Leddy and Kruger who all played during the lockout.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Cullksinikers

You wait until the last handful of games.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Could give some certain players a night off as healthy scratches, but not before 10 games are left and we know for sure that we won the Division

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:01 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Once we lose a game. So October.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
You wait until the last handful of games.
I'd much rather have our full compliment of players in the last handful of games to get a rhythm going into the playoffs.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Maybe some very minor resting for players nursing unreported injuries or something but i dont like the idea of benching guys. Above all else, what the Hawks have going for them the most right now is consistency. Dont shake that up unless we absolutely need to.

We roll 4 lines, 3 dpairs, and 2 goalies better than anyone else in the league. Better than any team i've seen in a while. THAT is our advantage. You cant play really well for the first half and then not give it your all the 2nd half and expect to coast the rest of the way. Thats how playoff disappointments happen.

Its a 48 game season. Not 82 games. As long as Q distributes the minutes the right way, which he's done a fantastic job of doing so far, the Hawks should be fine.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:33 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

You don't mess with success. Concern is going to be some injury but it's not like you can sit everyone once you clinch. Roll four lines once the team is sure there is not as much to play for.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
xX Hot Fuss

I also find it funny that people here think that anyone on the Hawks roster would want to sit for a few games if they were totally healthy. This isn't week 17 of the NFL, this is hockey. These guys live, love, and breathe this sport...they're not sitting

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I also find it funny that people here think that anyone on the Hawks roster would want to sit for a few games if they were totally healthy. This isn't week 17 of the NFL, this is hockey. These guys live, love, and breathe this sport...they're not sitting
Who said they would want to sit? There's this guy that makes decisions called the coach who could tell them they're getting an extra day of rest.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
madgoat33

ya know, Peyton manning was always super willing to sit...that's why he kept his helmet on and stood next to his head coach for aquarter+ while he was forced to watch his team blow a lead

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote