HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks - Pens

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Two things about Gill...

1: Him and Scuderi were hated on all through the regular season for their lack of ability to outlet the puck with any purpose, as well as for their skating deficiencies (mostly Gill obviously.
2: In the playoffs that pairing worked splendidly, because they didn't actually play 'Bylsma hockey', and for Gill in particular, the playoffs is his habitat as the refs simply don't call obstruction the same way. Hence he could stand up forwards entering the zone in a completely different way than most times during the regular season.

So - for Murray much of this is the same actually. He is also a better playoff performer than his regular season play would suggest.
If we traded Niskanen as part of getting a top6 upgrade, say, then I could surely dig a Murray pickup at the deadline (but I think San Jose will be less willing to deal him than their fans, because they KNOW that he is an impact guy for them in the playoffs).

Question is if Murray could insulate Letang... allow him to roam? He has been used to play with Dan Boyle, and Letang is now better than Boyle in pretty much all ways except shot/PP ability. Perhaps let Despres join Despres more for offensive zone draws to give him some more ice and make sure Murray doesn't have to keep up with LEtang TOI wise....

Orpik Martin
Murray Letang
Despres Engelland

Not a pushover defense, that. At least it shouldn't be.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Something like Engelland and a 5th for Murray and Niskanen and Kennedy for Hainsey.
Masochist much?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Illinest

I just want Gill back.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:50 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Orpik Martin
Murray Letang
Despres Engelland

Not a pushover defense, that. At least it shouldn't be.
I appreciate you wanting an intimidating defense, but I would go further and say I'd even rather have an intimidating offense: namely big, physical wingers who could really lean on other teams defense. I'd rather focus on being an even more difficult team to play against in the offensive zone than the defensive zone. (and I HATE to give credit to Philly, but they have done a very good job of adding size on the wall/up front with Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn, etc.)

So think about this: if we could trade Kennedy's 5'9 stature for Iginla, Stewart or Perry as power forwards? I'd way rather spend our assets in that direction than thinking about getting a guy like Murray who has ZERO future with this team, and who would not be inexpensive to acquire. (and he's probably not even available anyway)

Old
03-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I appreciate you wanting an intimidating defense, but I would go further and say I'd even rather have an intimidating offense
I am not the one around here most hell bent on intimidation, but I do want a D that can deal with strong forechecks; one that has genuinely complimentary pairings and one that doesn't let our high scoring go to waste by being blown apart by a bit of huff and puff.
Nor do I want a D that relies too intensely on rookies. No one who cares about winning should.

I would rather say that we score enough that it is not an absolute requirement to talk about our size deficiency up front.
Getting such a player would be a 'very nice to have'. But not at the expense of further pussifying our D. Again, I don't even think we have to add a D-man. But if we don't, it has to be because Despres makes it next to Letang. Niskanen-Letang will not hold up under fire. I just know that, and we really don't have anyone else unless we break up Martin-Brooks, and I see zero reason to do so.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:11 AM
catdaddy
Worried Yet?

Quote:
I appreciate you wanting an intimidating defense, but I would go further and say I'd even rather have an intimidating offense: namely big, physical wingers who could really lean on other teams defense. I'd rather focus on being an even more difficult team to play against in the offensive zone than the defensive zone. (and I HATE to give credit to Philly, but they have done a very good job of adding size on the wall/up front with Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn, etc.)
I'm inclined to think this way as well. Right now we aren't physically wearing other teams down in the offensive or defensive zones. Guys like Murray and Gill can do that in the defensive zone but they give up a lot of mobility to do so. Basically you'd be trading one strength (mobility) for another (physicality). That might make sense for a playoff run where stamina is critical, but if you can bring in larger, more physical forwards who have some skill then you can accomplish the process of wearing down your opponent and maintain a deep and mobile defensive corps. Hopefully the cost of acquiring such a player or players won't be prohibitive. If it is then I say bring in a Dman that can clear the crease and consistently punish teams who try to set up shop around our net.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:44 AM
JTG

If we were dealing with the Sharks...I want Joe Pavelski

Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If we were dealing with the Sharks...I want Joe Pavelski
Well who doesn't

I'd say Pavelski and Couture are their two untouchables in terms of forwards.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:01 AM
JTG

Yeah, I have completely forgotten that Pavelski isn't the redheaded step child there anymore. I still think he's pretty much ideal here, especially for Geno and Neal. Plays a physical game, can set up and score, right handed, can take faceoffs and win them with frequency, very responsible all over the ice, and plays a style that'd mesh really well here.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
I just want Gill back.
I want Scuderi back

Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
regard

Our system wasnt the same when Gill was here under Byslma. IIRC

Old
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
redsono93

What would it take to get Havlat?

Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Well who doesn't

I'd say Pavelski and Couture are their two untouchables in terms of forwards.

This is true. These guys are their future and are virtually untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
What would it take to get Havlat?

Either not a lot, or we could get Havlat++ for Brooks Orpik.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Pigs On The Wing

I don't want Douglas Murray on this team. He can't skate to save his life. I know Gill couldn't skate either, but he had success because he had great reach and when the '09 playoffs came around his bearhugs for some reason became legal.

Wish we had a guy like Matt Greene on our back end.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

I'd love for us to pick up Clowe. Big, mean, force along the boards, solid playmaker, good in front of the net, comes from a different conference, impending UFA, value at an all-time low.

He's pretty slow, but I don't think that would be a huge problem on Malkin's line.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:53 PM
redsono93

Quote:
This is true. These guys are their future and are virtually untouchable.

Either not a lot, or we could get Havlat++ for Brooks Orpik.
Havlat would be a great option in case we luck out on Perry and Iginla.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Sjb141

I've mentioned it before, but - I absolutely love Douglas Murray. Has been one of my favorite players for a long time. I'm just curious as to how anyone could watch him play the last year or so and think he could be a fit here.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Can't we just bring Hal Gill back? He's cheaper and better than Scuderi.
I was pissed when he left and was pissed Shero wasn't able to grab him last year at the TDL.

I remember posting about the pens signing him when he was a UFA before he signed that Leafs deal and people were soooo quick to spit fire.

FFWD a few years later and he is one of the main reasons we won that cup... but hey what the hell do I know! ha

Old
03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'd love for us to pick up Clowe. Big, mean, force along the boards, solid playmaker, good in front of the net, comes from a different conference, impending UFA, value at an all-time low.

He's pretty slow, but I don't think that would be a huge problem on Malkin's line.
Agreed on all fronts. He brings stability to that 2nd line as well as adding some much needed toughness to play against.

Somethings this team is really lacking.

I would welcome Murray as well on the back end.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:26 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I like the idea of a Murray-type on this D corps. But (and I'm going to try to put this delicately since people seem particularly prone to getting their PCP's in a twist for contrary opinions, lately) I don't really think he'd be a good fit in this system and that we'd likely hate him within a week.

In fact, I don't know how much I'd give up for any defensive help, period, this year. Until some, um, adjustments can be made. If they can be made.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I like the idea of a Murray-type on this D corps. But (and I'm going to try to put this delicately since people seem particularly prone to getting their PCP's in a twist for contrary opinions, lately) I don't really think he'd be a good fit in this system and that we'd likely hate him within a week.

In fact, I don't know how much I'd give up for any defensive help, period, this year. Until some, um, adjustments can be made. If they can be made.
By this I really hope you mean the disco dip-**** gets canned...

Closed Thread