HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
If Clowe goes anywhere, boston is the place for him. id take Jared Knight and a 3rd for him.

but id hate to be the poor guy who hits seguin. One of lucic clowe or chara is coming after yah.
I don't like Knight at all. Spooner's who I want.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:38 PM
WestCoast

vCash: 500
Why wouldn't we start unloading our top guys this year? The time for some rebuilding has probably come, why does DW seems so keen to keep everybody?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Why wouldn't we start unloading our top guys this year? The time for some rebuilding has probably come, why does DW seems so keen to keep everybody?
Because the reality is that they don't really need to rebuild. They're not so bad or old behind Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle that they need to blow it up.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Right in the middle of the playoff race. Its not the right year. The trade deadline is going to be a let down for a lot of people.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Because the reality is that they don't really need to rebuild. They're not so bad or old behind Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle that they need to blow it up.
I think, at least as the roster stands, that DW is on a three year "retooling" program. We're in year two right now. I think that next season is where we'll start seeing the end result. If the team gets into the playoffs and gets something done, that's a bonus.

A few games ago I was all for letting koala go, but I'm starting to believe the issues with the team are largely personnel related - players not willing to adjust their game or just not executing.

Hopefully DW is able to turn the impending UFAs into some new assets. The Clowe playing injured and Murray playing every day thing makes no sense unless the sole purpose is to protect the players you're going to hold onto.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Right in the middle of the playoff race. Its not the right year. The trade deadline is going to be a let down for a lot of people.
Lol.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
sjshark91

Scratch that.

Time to become sellers and gather younger players.

Last edited by sjshark91: 03-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:18 AM
WestCoast

Might have a chance to make the playoffs, but we have almost nill chance to beat some of the better younger teams this year if we keep the same personnel so it's almost a waste to keep some of the players that could garner huge returns.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

This would be the perfect opportunity for a lottery pick.

-Sharks struggling to score goals, so it won't even look fishy
-TMac can be the scapegoat and get fired in the offseason
-Strong draft
-Short season so not much suffering, and casual fans won't remember much anyway.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:35 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
This would be the perfect opportunity for a lottery pick.

-Sharks struggling to score goals, so it won't even look fishy
-TMac can be the scapegoat and get fired in the offseason
-Strong draft
-Short season so not much suffering, and casual fans won't remember much anyway.
Exactly. I was advocating precisely this before the season started.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:37 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Leafs fans are in love with Clowe for whatever reason. What can we get from Toronto?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:37 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Leafs fans are in love with Clowe for whatever reason. What can we get from Toronto?
Tim Hortons franchise?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
I think, at least as the roster stands, that DW is on a three year "retooling" program. We're in year two right now. I think that next season is where we'll start seeing the end result. If the team gets into the playoffs and gets something done, that's a bonus.

A few games ago I was all for letting koala go, but I'm starting to believe the issues with the team are largely personnel related - players not willing to adjust their game or just not executing.

Hopefully DW is able to turn the impending UFAs into some new assets. The Clowe playing injured and Murray playing every day thing makes no sense unless the sole purpose is to protect the players you're going to hold onto.
The problem with the retooling theory is that next year is a salary cut year one way or the other because of the dropping cap. They will need a new top six forward and they won't have much cap space to get one. A trade will be tough without losing defensive depth. The goal needs to be getting deeper and not swapping depth around like they did with the Seto/Burns trade even though that was a good trade.

Until they get three lines of contributions, whether it's three scoring and two scoring and a shutdown, AND at least four good puck-movers (not adequate or average but good) then you're not going to contend. You're going to rely on luck to go anywhere and the Sharks don't have a lot of that...never have...never will.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
We probably could have got Kadri or Kulemin for him in the off-season.

If we could package Clowe+ for the Leafs first ASAP, I'd cry of happiness.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Exactly. I was advocating precisely this before the season started.
The only way that works is if there is a sudden change of heart from DW's M.O. and Hasso doesn't mind. As a former player, DW has far too much pride to throw away a season even if he knows his team is not going anywhere.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
sjshark91

Doug Wilson rebuild.

That's funny.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
The only way that works is if there is a sudden change of heart from DW's M.O. and Hasso doesn't mind. As a former player, DW has far too much pride to throw away a season even if he knows his team is not going anywhere.
Yeah... Not sure if ownership is gonna bite. But then again, they could clean house and start their own era? I wish.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Yeah... Not sure if ownership is gonna bite. But then again, they could clean house and start their own era? I wish.
I would support it if Hasso has a good man to go to that will run the ship right and work on what needs to be worked on. I can't believe he would though.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:09 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
If Clowe goes anywhere, boston is the place for him. id take Jared Knight and a 3rd for him.

but id hate to be the poor guy who hits seguin. One of lucic clowe or chara is coming after yah.
I agree Boston would be the place for him, guys like him are loved by our fan base

I'd probably do that trade. there are some posters on our board who have inside connections that are obsessed with Knight and think he is going to be a very good NHL player. he plays a Bruins style of hockey and I would hate to see him go before he gets a healthy shot in the AHL, but to get Clowe I'd strongly consider that trade.

Quote:
I don't like Knight at all. Spooner's who I want.
I don't blame you, but Clowe is a rental and is playing poorly right now. wouldn't trade Spooner for him at this point. I'd be hesitant to trade any of our big 3 offensive prospects (Spooner, Knight Khokhlachev) right now for Clowe. could live with trading Khokhlachev and even Knight for him just because i really like Clowe and think he is going to turn it around soon. plus he is exactly what we need on our third line.

if it was the offseason and Clowe was locked up for at least another year at his cap hit Clowe for Peverley straight up would make some sense. Bruins couldn't do that right now tho.

Quote:
i know people always talk about rebuilding on the fly, but the sharks could actually do it quite easily and remain competitive. keep Couture, Pavelski, Galiardi up front and Vlasic, Burns, (Demers and Braun possibly?) You're all set in goal.

then you can probably trade Marleau and Thornton for a young solid roster player and first or high end prospect each. Clowe could possibly get you a high end prospect or a 1st and mid level prospect from a contender. I'm sure Havlat would bring in some value, mid round pick for Handzus. Boyle would get you something valuable, and if you traded stuart(probably not cause he just signed there?) he could bring something.

so you'd tank the rest of the year and get a high draft pick, plus a couple young solid roster players and potentially a couple high-end prospects and mid level prospects. you guys could retool quickly. most teams wait to long to rebuild and then there star players who have value either leave or get to old to bring in anything that would really help the team going forward. if you guys did it now i could see you guys getting a lot of value back. also, not to nag, but you guys never should of traded McGinn.

Sorry, i have way too much time on my hands right now...

Old
03-07-2013, 10:13 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

can we target players who can actually score? that is all.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Tim Hortons franchise?
I'm sure glad we don't have Tim Horton's here, or I'd be 50 lbs heavier!

Quote:
We probably could have got Kadri or Kulemin for him in the off-season.

If we could package Clowe+ for the Leafs first ASAP, I'd cry of happiness.

I too would weep tears of joy

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Everyone keeps talking about trading Marleau. Unless they refuse to re-sign him for his next contract, Marleau will retire a Shark.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
can we target players who can actually score? that is all.
But the Sharks are where scoring players come to die. Our current system is just not able to create goals.

The 2 main problems I see are TMac and JT. TMac should be fired first to see if the new coach can bring about a change in JT's mentality. If that doesnt work then JT needs to be traded next.

JT is a PPG+ player who will not be replaceable right away but it will hopefully get us some good picks/prospects to build around and change the mentality of the team.

03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
Everyone keeps talking about trading Marleau. Unless they refuse to re-sign him for his next contract, Marleau will retire a Shark.
I'm totally fine with re-signing patty if he's willing to take a pay cut.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Clowe should be traded
Murray should be traded
One of Demers or Braun should be traded
One of Couture, Pavelski, or Thornton could be traded (Pavelski most likely)

Closed Thread