HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What must Edmonton do

Old
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
The biggest issue is that Steve Tambellini is clearly incompetent. I wouldn't trust him with my fantasy team, let alone a professional hockey team.

As others have noted, they need to part with at least one of their young skilled forwards in order to pick up a stud D Man.

Who's the odd man out?

Not Eberle. He's got that "x" factor and is only getting better. The Oilers' MVP.
Not RNH. He may be having a bad year, but centermen with his skill set don't grow on trees..
Not Hall. He's their only Top 6 forward capable of creating space for his teammates.
Not Gagner. He's a perfect Number 2 Center who provides consistent secondary scoring.

Personally I would trade Yakopov. His value is very high, and quite frankly he doesn't fit the Oil's needs, both short term and long term.
I think Gagner isn't the perfect #2 center because of the make up of the rest of the Oilers top 6. He's just like the rest of the Oilers forwards but doesn't have as high of a ceiling.

...and you can't trade Yakupov. He's just too good. He easily has the potential to be the best goal scorer of all these young players. His one timer is just freakishly good.

That was a bullet and he didn't even wind up.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Hugo Sham

lots of east west perimeter guys with super skill. may need to consider trading one for a shooter with size. Guys that come to mind - pacioretty, horton, moulson, hossa etc...but most of these guys are impossible to get...
maybe a guy with lesser hands who will go to the net - like a clowe in the off-season...
and as mentioned need a bit more grit at the back-end too

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Get rid of their incompetent GM.
I dont see how Tambellini is completely responsible for the failure of an entire organization. GMs maybe fall guys but it takes alot of different factors to blame one man for a team mess

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
zeus3007*

Ok. History lesson for everyone. The Oilers, up until mid 2009-2010, were not in rebuild mode. Yes, they weren't a good team, but they were trying to be competitve by going after high priced free agents (Hossa), trying to trade for big names (Heatley), and sacrificing their team youth, depth and draft picks to do so. The wheels fell off in 2009, and Oil management finally realized they needed to rebuild. The team was filled with holes at that time, basically every position was filled with AHL'ers. Go back a little further, and aside from Chris Pronger for one year, the only real top end talent the Oil had since the late 90's was Ales Hemsky. So Oil management correctly decided that they needed to bring in some skilled players.

That was three seasons ago. While the Oilers certainly needed top end skill, and I think they have gotten it, they neglected to fill in the support roles properly. They got Smyth, who isn't what he used to be. They signed Belanger, who aside from killing penalties and winning faceoffs, has been useless. The only real decent depth pickup was Ryan Jones.

The easiest part of this "rebuild" is done, getting our star players. Now we need management to focus on getting some real good depth role players to fill out the lineup, and some more muscle in our top six. A more competent GM could have brought in those types already, but that's the next step.

The key I think, is to realize that this is only the third year of the rebuild. As crappy as it is to accept it, expectations for this team to contend for the playoffs were probably unrealistic. We need more gritty, hard workers and veterans who can teach the kids how to win. Easier said than done, but that's what they need.

Thanks for reading my essay.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
HavlatMach9

Seems like they lack a good veteran leader. Who do their young players turn to?

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Kershaw

You'll get nothing of value without parting with the big 5.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
So who will their 2nd line centre be if they trade Gagner? He provides consistent secondary production.

Plus, he is more experienced than the other young guns.
Well, if we're talking about what the Oilers need to do to be more successful. One of them would be bringing in a stronger 2nd line center. I have no problem with Gagner. He has as much heart as anyone in the league...but someone's got to go. I'd prefer it be Hemsky or Paajarvi plus picks/prospects.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:58 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
How do you get a stud defenseman without giving up any of those forwards?

Edmonton can try to get Seth Jones by trading up but teams want a huge overpayment..

I think the Oilers need 3 things: Better complimentary players for the young forwards, a good bottom 6, and an entire makeover for the D getting rid of everyone except Schultz and re-signing Smid.

Then they will win more games than they have so far.

Plus, if the Oilers are playing bad and still around .500, I count that as a good thing. One good streak and they're in the playoffs.

Does Oscar Klefbom qualify as a potential stud dman?

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
lots of east west perimeter guys with super skill. may need to consider trading one for a shooter with size. Guys that come to mind - pacioretty, horton, moulson, hossa etc...but most of these guys are impossible to get...
maybe a guy with lesser hands who will go to the net - like a clowe in the off-season...
and as mentioned need a bit more grit at the back-end too
Clowe - Gagner - Yakupov

would be better than

Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky

As a second line.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:01 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Seems like they lack a good veteran leader. Who do their young players turn to?
They turn to the mighty Whiffcoff

Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I dont see how Tambellini is completely responsible for the failure of an entire organization. GMs maybe fall guys but it takes alot of different factors to blame one man for a team mess
The Oilers have had 4 different head coaches since Tambellini was hired back in 2008.

Almost every single one of his free agent signings have failed. The only good players he's brought in have been 1st overall picks. He's failed to give them a supporting cast of any kind. The Oilers finished 29th last season and all he did was add Yakupov, Schultz and fire Renney...in favor of a rookie coach.

Tambellini has had no problem putting the blame on one guy(his head coach). It's time the real problem gets dealt with.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You'll get nothing of value without parting with the big 5.

Slats is that you??

Old
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Build down the middle from the goal out. Wingers are the last necessity. They need to look at the Kings. The first move of our rebuild imo, wasn't moving Demitra for O'Sullivan and Lewis, it was moving Visnovsky for 2 much needed pieces in Stoll and Greene. In other words, move one of those forwards for multiple much needed pieces. Those are the type of deals Edmonton needs to make.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

No, the Oilers don't need to trade any of their star forwards. Eberle's 22, Gagner's 23, Hall's 21, and RNH and Yakupov are both teenagers. Each one of those guys is so far away from their prime it's silly to suggest the team will have scoring problems forward.

Dubnyk's a good goalie. Haven't run the numbers on him, but he looks like a legit #1. The defense can be fixed into "adequate" range through free agency or trades for solid depth guys from teams with a glut of top 6ers -- Gardiner in Toronto is the victim of a numbers game right now, and you've got to think Nonis is looking to move out one or more of Holzer, Kostka, Fraser, Komisarek and possibly Liles. Focus on drafting mobile two way defensemen now and down the road. Problem solved.

Really Oils fans, the sky is not falling. Sit on your talent and watch it grow.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Build down the middle from the goal out. Wingers are the last necessity. They need to look at the Kings. The first move of our rebuild imo, wasn't moving Demitra for O'Sullivan and Lewis, it was moving Visnovsky for 2 much needed pieces in Stoll and Greene. In other words, move one of those forwards for multiple much needed pieces. Those are the type of deals Edmonton needs to make.
That trade was such a mistake for the Oilers. On paper it was fair with maybe even the slight edge going to the Oilers but in reality, that move was made when they were in denial about where they were as an organization. All we have to show from that trade is a crippled Whitney...and Stoll/Greene are exactly the type of players the Oilers need.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Tw1ster

They need to draft a defense-man 1st overall this year

Tw1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

They need to draft Aaron Ekblad next year. Best prospect I have ever seen defensively, he could've been in the NHL since he was 16. A rock like him on the blueline with Schultz providing a dangerous scoring threat would be a killer combo

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Clean house. Get rid of their entire upper management. That will make a world of difference.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:24 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Maybe we can get a hypnotist to make the player think they are the following:

nuge=gretzky
hall=messier
ebs=kurri
yak=anderson
schultz=coffey
hemsky=klima (just because)

I once heard shaun Van allen got knocked silly and didn't know his name. Ted Green piped up and said " tell him he is Wayne Gretzky!" hey it could work.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
bobafettish*

trade one or two of their so called intouchables and start building from the backout.

the fact that some people think schultz is good defensively kind of tells you soemthing.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Maybe we can get a hypnotist to make the player think they are the following:

nuge=gretzky
hall=messier
ebs=kurri
yak=anderson
schultz=coffey
hemsky=klima (just because)

I once heard shaun Van allen got knocked silly and didn't know his name. Ted Green piped up and said " tell him he is Wayne Gretzky!" hey it could work.
I love that story.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
sunnyvale420

They got impatient and giddy expecting to turn the page after their first overall pick. They shouldve kept those 1st overalls in juniors and the ahl to dominate and develop strength and chemistry and brought them up when horcoffs contract expired or a year before. Now theyve burnt through ELCs and may fall into the cbj rushed prospects dillema. They need defense but most D take years to develop. I dont want to see it but once alfredsson retires they should trade one of the wingers to ottawa for karlsson

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 AM
DontgoZiggy

Don't trade away any of the young core, trade all the spares first, players like Hemsky. Get bigger in the centers and trade for D help. A few more role players couldn't hurt either.

Perhaps deals like

Hemsky for Volchenkov or Orpik

Go all in for Getzlaf or try and pry Kesler from the nucks

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Fire Kevin Lowe.

You can't judge Tambo for making the wrong decisions as a puppet manager.

Tambo is essentially an assistant manager who's being paid the same salary as a GM so that if anything goes wrong it doesn't fall back onto Kevin Lowe as easily.

Did Tambo hire Kelly Buchberger, Steve Smyth, Charlie Huddy, Craig Simpson, Craig Mac-T or Dave Semenko? No. Lowe did. And if he could, he'd hire Messier, Kurri or Wayne instantly. Not because they've proven that they're capable of doing anything, but because they're his friends and he's got nobody else to turn to.

Last I checked Dave Semenko was our pro scout.

Kelly Buchberger is a coach in our system. :faceplam:

Steve Smith at least had some experience in coaching, but the Craig Simpson hiring was a joke. I don't know enough to say anything about the hiring of Huddy.

Craig Mac-T is/was coaching material, but not for the style of game we Oil fans insist on watching. Mac-T would without a doubt be an amazing Soccer coach. They love those 1-0 games.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
That may be true, but we've seen coaching changes, "culture" changes, and a bevy of highly talented youngsters come in, only to see the same result. The only other constant to go with the poor results is Lowe and Tambo. This is a year where expectations were a little higher, and all I've seen our GM do to address the situation is bring in a #6 Dman and 4th line energy guy. But if we're going to play armchair GM, here's what I'd do:

1. Trade Hemsky. He's looked good for the most part, but to accommodate him we've been moving Yakupov to LW (not as much recently) when the poor kid is already questionable defensively, has a language barrier and is a rookie. Shouldn't it be Hemmer, the seasoned vet, making the move to LW? Come deadline I'd hope he can garner a 1st. My guess would be PIT or DET.

2. Acquire Kulemin from the Leafs. I think he'd be a great fit on the opposite side of Yakupov. A hard worker who bangs and has a good defensive game, he'd be a positive presence for Yakupov. He also would bring size to the top 6 (6'1 225). I think Kuli and Nuge paired together would be enough defensive acumen to mask some of Yakupov's deficiencies in that area. Now the only problem is would the Leafs deal him and what would they want?

3. Get bigger down the middle. I'm fine with Nuge and Gagner, but that means our 3rd and 4th line C's need to upgrade in size and physicality. Amnesty buyout Horc, trade Belanger at this years deadline. Belanger's replacement could be found in Jerred Smithson who does everything Belanger does but with more physicality and stands 6'3 209. As for 3rd line C, that's a little tougher, which may mean we're stuck with Horc one more year.

4. The D is an obvious need with no quick fix in sight. But I would try and offer sheet OEL, 5 year 36mil. Compensation would be two 1sts a 2nd and 3rd. Front loaded with 10mil in the first year, 8 being a signing bonus, there is a chance they can't afford t pay the bonus without an owner in place.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote