HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goaltending prospect(s) to Pittsburgh

Old
03-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Goaltending prospect(s) to Pittsburgh

One of Pittsburgh weakest spots in my opinion other than their Forward depth is their lack of goaltending prospects.

Currently for Pittsburgh we have Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun. Vokoun is on a $2m contract with another year after this but If he plays as he is right now for the rest of the season I could see him being bought out. Behind him in the AHL team is Brad Thiessen and Jeff Zatkoff. Thiessen has had a few games already for Pittsburgh but didn't do well and struggled and I wouldn't be confident with him as a back-up. Zatkoff is doing well for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and could be given the gig in the future.

We drafted two goalies last year in Scott Murray and Sean Maguire and we also have rights to Patrick Killeen (ECHL goalie - won't make it). Scott Murray and Maguire are a few years away from even making it close.

So - who could we get?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
quins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
One of Pittsburgh weakest spots in my opinion other than their Forward depth is their lack of goaltending prospects.

Currently for Pittsburgh we have Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun. Vokoun is on a $2m contract with another year after this but If he plays as he is right now for the rest of the season I could see him being bought out. Behind him in the AHL team is Brad Thiessen and Jeff Zatkoff. Thiessen has had a few games already for Pittsburgh but didn't do well and struggled and I wouldn't be confident with him as a back-up. Zatkoff is doing well for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and could be given the gig in the future.

We drafted two goalies last year in Scott Murray and Sean Maguire and we also have rights to Patrick Killeen (ECHL goalie - won't make it). Scott Murray and Maguire are a few years away from even making it close.

So - who could we get?
I think it's Matthew Murray

quins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Fastasaurus

Svedberg and Cross for Pouliot and Matta?

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Beezeral

I can't remember the last time a team went out and gave up assets to acquire their goalie of the future when there wasn't a current need at the NHL level. Odds are the penguins either keep up the status quo or address the issue in the draft.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Murray is playing great in SSM, I wouldn't panic yet. Shero got a few during last years draft

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I can't remember the last time a team went out and gave up assets to acquire their goalie of the future when there wasn't a current need at the NHL level. Odds are the penguins either keep up the status quo or address the issue in the draft.
this. no need to get gauged on the trade market. adding Jeff Zatkoff, Sean Maguire and Matt Murray in a SINGLE offseason was a nice influx of talent into the system.

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think they're fine.

Zatkoff has a 1.90GA and 0.921 SV/% in the minors. Not a bad emergency option.

Murray and Maguire are in the system as long-term projects.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Exit Dose

Address it in the draft. Goalie prospects aren't worth much in trade, and most teams prefer holding onto theirs.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Sutter16

I think Murray may turn out to be a steal. I know its very early but what he's 6'4"? He's a project but he might turn out.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
The perfect post nice and early in the thread.

The Penguins just spent 3rd & 4th rounders on goalies in the last draft, have one of the better goalies in the AHL this season signed through next season, and have no need at the NHL level.

Prospect swaps are rare...goalie prospect swaps just about never happen. They're too much of a wildcard.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Adirondack Flames

Leland Irving.

He is much better than he gets credit for, but he seems to have lost his place in the organization. Now with Kiprusoff back, MacDonald as the backup and now Danny Taylor being sent back to Abbotsford he will be the backup in Abbotsford at best.

He will be a UFA this summber due to the number of games he has played, but I am certain he will sign somewhere if they are willing to give him a chance again. The asking price would be minimal as well.

Worst case for the Pens you let him walk after the season, best case he turns things around and looks like he did last year.

Say Irving for a 6th or 7th round pick?

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:42 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Enroth for Cooke

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Leland Irving.

He is much better than he gets credit for, but he seems to have lost his place in the organization. Now with Kiprusoff back, MacDonald as the backup and now Danny Taylor being sent back to Abbotsford he will be the backup in Abbotsford at best.

He will be a UFA this summber due to the number of games he has played, but I am certain he will sign somewhere if they are willing to give him a chance again. The asking price would be minimal as well.

Worst case for the Pens you let him walk after the season, best case he turns things around and looks like he did last year.

Say Irving for a 6th or 7th round pick?
Irving wouldn't be a good fit for the Pens. He deserves to get a look at the NHL level, and he's not going to pass Vokoun, even though he's been really bad the last couple of games it doesn't wash out a career of being a very good goalie, and we already have 2 very capable AHL goalies.

As had been said already, there's really no need. Murray is a project, but has NHL starter upside, and we've yet to see Zatkoff at the NHL level. Shero said a few years ago he likes to add a goalie prospect every year, and he's done that either by college ufa (Theissen), trade (Modig), or drafting. You have to figure that eventually one of them will turn out and be able to stick as a back up, and if not, Fleury isn't old by any means and there's always capable backups in free agency every year.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Beezeral

only time you see a prospect swap is when it is clear that both players need a change of scenery and at that point its unlikely you can really consider the player still a prospect

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

IMO, the Flames may have one of the best goalie prospect pools in the league. Leland Irving isn't going to fit in Calgary so he can probably had for cheap. Joni Ortio is one of the top goalies in the SM liiga, Kari Ramo is carrying Avangard in the KHL and is arguably the leagues best goalie, Lauraunt Brossoit is one of the top goalies in the CHL for the Oil Kings while Jon Gilles is an elite goalie in the NCAA for Providence... Each of those goalie prospects are elite goalies in their respective leagues so we can probably afford to deal one away

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:16 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Svedberg and Cross for Pouliot and Matta?
that doesn't even look close

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

We have Eddie Lack, he could be had since we have Joe Cannata who is also looking like another very nice goaltending prospect. Aswell as us having Schneider here for the meantime and near future since Lack is almost NHL ready.

it would take a high end prospect coming back though since Lack is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I hope Pens 'simply' sign a promising goalie in Europe in the off season and deal Vokoun to a team that needs an 1A/B solution. With a one year contract at 2 million, this shouldn't be impossible, although of course Vokoun would have to agree as he has an NTC.

I still think Vokoun will come useful to the Pens this season and for the majority his bad outings have coincided with terrible defense also. But his past record did indicate that he thrives with consistent games and a high workload, and he isn't going to get that in Pittsburgh.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:21 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Draft a goalie this year - problem solved. Comrie would be a great pick up in the second round. Or sign a goalie FA like with what the Sabres did with Andrey Makarov.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 PM
PensFan68

I think things for the Pens will remain the same for quite some time. Fleury will be the starter, and we'll go out and get a vet backup. At some point I'd think we'll give a young guy the backup role, but I think for the next few years we'll be seeing a vet backup.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
drizzydrew22*

Quote:

So - who could we get?
i dont think many teams are losing sleep at night bc their worrying about goaltender prospects especially the penguins, WB/S have the best goaltender duo and defense in the league and after that i dont think it matters to much

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Vokoun for Dekanich + Montoya?

Vokoun would be perfect for Ondrej. He needs to be pushed/mentored at the same time, why not by a veteran countryman?

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:21 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Vokoun would be perfect for Ondrej. He needs to be pushed/mentored at the same time, why not by a veteran countryman?
Dekanich is 26, not really a prospect anymore (let alone Montoya). that said, i'd consider it but most likely decline it.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Don't go overpaying now.....

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

So - who could we get?
Um, Jeff Zatkoff is a top 5 guy in the AHL right now and like you mentioned as well, we have Murray and Maguire. And Scott Murray? Lol, who?

If Shero feels he needs more, he can go after Parker Milner (Pittsburgh boy and a damn good College goaltender).

Don't need to trade for any. Not yet anyway.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote