HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
  #1
moog35
Registered User
 
moog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?

moog35 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  #2
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?
The last few game he's made some passes that make me think maybe he just might just pull it together this year. He's certainly looked better the last few games (not just the skating about fast bit). I'm prepared to give him another little while to see where he ends up.

I'd like to see the Nucks try and get a play making centre for that line of Booth-XXX-Kassian, not sure Kesler is the best fit.

me2 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
  #3
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
I will tell you my opinion but its my observation only.

Booth does not succeed more for a very obvious and often over looked reason. His ability to see the ice and pass the puck is not even close to NHL capacity.

His speed, strength , passion , drive , and his shot are all above average NHL quality.

So opponents defend him by taking away his shot , forcing him to either try a low percentage shot anyways, or turn the puck over since he cant pass.

The only way we can utilize his strengths is to have Kassian / Kesler carry the puck and make the decision to pass or shoot. Kesler has not used him linemates well in the past year or so and will need to return to the things that made him successful when he got so many assists.

Kassian is more than capable of passing and is quite the budding play maker.

Booth has to drive to the net to receive a pass or deflect a shot or get a rebound.

Wizeman* is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 PM
  #4
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I like Booth. Probably tied with Garrison for most underappreciated Canucks.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
  #5
Aqualung
Registered User
 
Aqualung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
I think Schroeder who's a pass first player, and Kassian who will pass or shoot and plays along the boards better, along with Booth who has great wheels for the open ice would make a great line. Read this AV! No Lapierre, he doesn't fit.

Aqualung is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
  #6
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,067
vCash: 500
Quick warning to all - discuss David Booth the NHL player only. Any discussion of his personal beliefs or his extra-cirricular activities will be removed.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
  #7
professorchaos
Registered User
 
professorchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Booth needs to somehow find chemistry with a teammate. He plays a very similar game to Hansen, but has superior offensive skills. The only problem is he doesn't have a Higgins to gel with. IDK who can fill that role.

professorchaos is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
  #8
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 50
Agree that Booth has the tools. Last night he was getting chances. The goals will come.

The bonus for Booth scoring is that it draws checking away from the Sedins, of course. Booth is hard to check. If he is able to force his way through coverage and score awesome chances it will also unsettle opposition coaches, no? It's a complication, it contributes to team success.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
  #9
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I like Booth. Probably tied with Garrison for most underappreciated Canucks.
Underappreciated?

0 goals on the season will do that to a player's fan perception.

roach9 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
  #10
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Booth does not succeed more for a very obvious and often over looked reason. His ability to see the ice and pass the puck is not even close to NHL capacity.
This is part of it (or even most of it) but there were a few times I see him with the puck, looking up to see a teammate open only to have him look back down and forgo the pass. Frustrating.

Fat Tony is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
  #11
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?

It's both and more. He needs a playmaker to truly shine IMO.

I wouldn't say his hockey sense is bad every play out either. He's just very inconsistent in how thinks the game, play by play. When someone regularly scores 20 goals, I have a hard time saying they have bad hockey sense on every play of every game. Clearly, there are some plays where he just gets it, and it's the back of the net. Other times, he struggles. That's the maddening part with this player.

On the whole though, some 2nd liners have carved out careers with far less going for them. In that sense, I think he brings more to the table than the average fan appreciates.

Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
  #12
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
He's only got in a half-dozen games or so thus far, he's gonna need about twice that to get the timing back and put it all together. The rest of the guys have already gotten up to game speed while Booth is still working out some of the kinks. He's playing hard though, getting his chances for sure, driving the play and skating really well.

Smokey McCanucks is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
  #13
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?
He's actually looked better than I remember from last year. He's not pulling up on any hits, finishing a lot of checks, winning his share of puck battles and getting the puck to the net. He's still a complete non factor in terms of puck movement but at least has played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Something he only did in spurts last season.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:36 PM
  #14
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I will tell you my opinion but its my observation only.

Booth does not succeed more for a very obvious and often over looked reason. His ability to see the ice and pass the puck is not even close to NHL capacity.

His speed, strength , passion , drive , and his shot are all above average NHL quality.

So opponents defend him by taking away his shot , forcing him to either try a low percentage shot anyways, or turn the puck over since he cant pass.

The only way we can utilize his strengths is to have Kassian / Kesler carry the puck and make the decision to pass or shoot. Kesler has not used him linemates well in the past year or so and will need to return to the things that made him successful when he got so many assists.

Kassian is more than capable of passing and is quite the budding play maker.

Booth has to drive to the net to receive a pass or deflect a shot or get a rebound.
I totally agree with this, he's like a 8 year old kid that can skate fast but has no clue how to see the ice or pass or play in his own zone. It's like he stopped developing as a player at that age. his shot is also terrible.

He really is clueless for sure.


Last edited by NugentHopkinsfan: 03-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.
NugentHopkinsfan is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
  #15
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
He's actually looked better than I remember from last year. He's not pulling up on any hits, finishing a lot of checks, winning his share of puck battles and getting the puck to the net. He's still a complete non factor in terms of puck movement but at least has played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Something he only did in spurts last season.
Sounds like quite the grinder for 4.2 million. He should be making less than Hansen even if he is scoring because he is not a complete hockey player at all.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
  #16
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,296
vCash: 500
Scorer at the same pace last year as he did in Florida in his last season there.

He has been bringing tons of energy lately.

serge2k is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
  #17
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
He's actually looked better than I remember from last year. He's not pulling up on any hits, finishing a lot of checks, winning his share of puck battles and getting the puck to the net. He's still a complete non factor in terms of puck movement but at least has played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Something he only did in spurts last season.
This isn't true. He's been skating the puck into the offensive zone a couple times a game and moving the puck up the wall well when not playing with Lapierre and Kassian.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:48 PM
  #18
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
I would like a Booth Schroeder Kassian line please, I also have a lot of time for how Booth plays the game.

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:48 PM
  #19
vector209
Registered User
 
vector209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Booth is what he is: an overrated player who can skate fast and drive the net but is a black hole offensively. Plays go to die when they land within his vicinity.

I watched his first thirty games as a Canuck and just had this feeling that there was no breaking in period with this guy, despite how many believed otherwise. What we saw was what we got and so far, he hasn't proven me wrong there.

vector209 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
  #20
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This isn't true. He's been skating the puck into the offensive zone a couple times a game and moving the puck up the wall well when not playing with Lapierre and Kassian.
When I say puck movement I'm refering to moving it to his linemates. He can shovel it up the wall with the best of them. It's setting up his linemates for shots that I rarely see.

Hopefully he gets to play with Schroeder and Kassian soon. AV seems completely oblivious to the fact Schroeder's passing ability dwarfs that of Lapierre and that Booth is the guy you want on the receiving end of nice passes, not Tostito.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:57 PM
  #21
dps
Registered User
 
dps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I would like a Booth Schroeder Kassian line please, I also have a lot of time for how Booth plays the game.
I agreed, I want to see this line tried for 5 games or so, for better or worse. Not the typical AV try outs where you get one shift to make something happen and if you don't the lines get reversed.

I would also like to speculate out loud (probably not originally mind you) that I think part of the reason why JS isnt putting up as much points as he could is because he is afraid. Afraid that if he attempts to make a offensive move that is 'risky' defensively and backfires even a little bit he will get demoted, benched, or scratched.

Just look at Ballard, he's been pretty solid on a more regular basis than some of our top d-men defensively, but he had a bad game in phoenix and got scratched for two games.

*shrug*

OT: I don't mind booth, I'm willing to give him the rest of the season, probably next as well (granted things are looking up) to see what he is really made of. I liked him with kesler and Higgins last year before he took a knee to the knee.


Last edited by dps: 03-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.
dps is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 10:06 PM
  #22
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps View Post
I agreed, I want to see this line tried for 5 games or so, for better or worse. Not the typical AV try outs where you get one shift to make something happen and if you don't you're demoted.
Yea I hate how AV dose that, you finally get a line combo you've been wanting to see for a while, you think it might work, then boom, its gone.

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
  #23
Johnny Canucker
Registered User
 
Johnny Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,158
vCash: 500
I honestly think Booth can go the whole season and not score a goal.


Empty netters not included.

Johnny Canucker is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
  #24
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
I honestly think Booth can go the whole season and not score a goal.


Empty netters not included.
Question is, do you think he will, and are you gonna put vcash on the line?

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 10:21 PM
  #25
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
The last few game he's made some passes that make me think maybe he just might just pull it together this year.
He might suffer from the "Rick Nash" syndrome. His play makes him look like he should produce 2x as much as he actually does. Oh well, great for advanced stats.

kthsn is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.