Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
yes, because TWO teams have shown that it can work means it absolutely would work in the Wilds favor to do that. There isn't an eye-rolling graphic big enough for me to use in response to this right now.
More then two teams have fired their coach during the season and had it work in their favor, just ask Robbie Ftorek for starters.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
More then two teams have fired their coach during the season and had it work in their favor, just ask Robbie Ftorek for starters.
If you're ok with taking that risk, more power to you. I wouldn't be, and CF has made it crystal clear that Yeo's job isn't even close to being on the line at this point. A loss to the best team in hockey right now isn't going to change that

Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
If you're ok with taking that risk, more power to you. I wouldn't be, and CF has made it crystal clear that Yeo's job isn't even close to being on the line at this point. A loss to the best team in hockey right now isn't going to change that
Do you really think CF would come out and say that the coaches job was in question? He would be a terrible GM if he ever did do something like that.

I also didn't advocate firing Yeo i was simply pointing out that more then two teams have made coaching changes mid-season and had it work in the positive, hell Ftorek was fired with 9 games left in the season and the Devils won the cup.

If a GM thinks they have the wrong coach then they should fire him sooner rather then later so it doesn't fester and become a bigger problem. I have no idea what CF thinks about Yeo but i promise you that if he has doubts about Yeo he will not let you, I, players or anyone in the press know about it until the day he calls a press conference to announce he has fired someone.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

It's a big risk to switch coaches mid-season and hope for the luck the Kings got last year. But if you're a GM who's convinced your current coach just can't get the job done, then keeping him around the rest of the season might be taking an even bigger risk.

Sometimes the unknown risk is better than the certain failure.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
wildark45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Do you really think CF would come out and say that the coaches job was in question? He would be a terrible GM if he ever did do something like that.

I also didn't advocate firing Yeo i was simply pointing out that more then two teams have made coaching changes mid-season and had it work in the positive, hell Ftorek was fired with 9 games left in the season and the Devils won the cup.

If a GM thinks they have the wrong coach then they should fire him sooner rather then later so it doesn't fester and become a bigger problem. I have no idea what CF thinks about Yeo but i promise you that if he has doubts about Yeo he will not let you, I, players or anyone in the press know about it until the day he calls a press conference to announce he has fired someone.
I read Feaster. Poor Calgary.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The last two years, six teams made a coaching change. Here are the changes in win percentage:

Anaheim: 0.375 to 0.534
Buffalo: 0.382 to 0.500
Los Angeles: 0.517 to 0.613
St Louis: 0.461 to 0.703
Toronto: 0.507 to 0.417
Washington: 0.568 to 0.558

Old
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The last two years, six teams made a coaching change. Here are the changes in win percentage:

Anaheim: 0.375 to 0.534
Buffalo: 0.382 to 0.500
Los Angeles: 0.517 to 0.613
St Louis: 0.461 to 0.703
Toronto: 0.507 to 0.417
Washington: 0.568 to 0.558
At least in Anaheim's and Washington's case the fact was that the dressing rooms had tuned the coaches out. There was nothing wrong with the message, it just wasn't getting through. In Yeo's case I don't think he's lost the room, instead either a) the players haven't yet learned the system or b) the system is not suited for the players. In either case I doubt we'd see an immediate improvement in the teams play if Yeo would get fired.

Also you shouldn't make a coaching change just based on here and now. If the underperforming has continued for a long time, then it can be the right decision due to the forementioned reasons. How has Yeo been during his short time here? Great first half, horrible second half, now average first half. The only thing that irks me is his treatment of Granlund and inability to keep lines together, but the first is as much on Fletcher as it is on Yeo.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Meh, I'm kinda leaning towards just finishing out the season with Yeo now (unless we REALLY take a nosedive and fall down to the basement of the conference).

Old
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I'm kind of in the same boat as far as being, "meh" towards Yeo finishing the season.

I don't know much about Ruff, so I don't know if it would be a loss to not get him.

The team has made some strides towards improving, but they are still very up and down.

I wish I had a better understanding of what to look for as far as how to judge a rookie coach, which Yeo basically is.

The constant thing I've noticed, is that he does not adapt well, and he seems lost on when to intervene in game situations at times. It would be cool to know more on how Fletch would go about judging the situation.

Do you treat him like you would a rookie player? Like Granlund maybe? Granlund has shown improvement. Is Yeo showing this same improvement in his own way?

Or do you have to treat coaches differently? If they're not cutting it, they get cut.

If anyone has any insight, I would be curious to learn more.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thinking of some stretches of losses that could result in a Yeo termination...

Mar 5-12 (CHI - NSH - VAN - ANA) - tough schedule the next few games.

Mar 16-Apr 4 (VAN - DET - SJS - DAL - PHX - DAL - LAK - STL - SJS - LAK) - Wild could conceivably lose most of these games, like far more than half. Wild goes anything less than four wins and Yeo's gone. I mean, do they play ANY of these teams well?

They have a pretty easy schedule to close the season so obviously if Yeo can get past that stretch, he'll be there until summer at least.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as far as being, "meh" towards Yeo finishing the season.

I don't know much about Ruff, so I don't know if it would be a loss to not get him.

The team has made some strides towards improving, but they are still very up and down.

I wish I had a better understanding of what to look for as far as how to judge a rookie coach, which Yeo basically is.

The constant thing I've noticed, is that he does not adapt well, and he seems lost on when to intervene in game situations at times. It would be cool to know more on how Fletch would go about judging the situation.

Do you treat him like you would a rookie player? Like Granlund maybe? Granlund has shown improvement. Is Yeo showing this same improvement in his own way?

Or do you have to treat coaches differently? If they're not cutting it, they get cut.

If anyone has any insight, I would be curious to learn more.
You treat coaches differently if the team is expected to have that same curve. Yeo young coach, young players expected you know them.

You go and get Parise and Suter and that mentality changes. Veteran superstar players and you switch to a smaller learning curve.

Two years ago, Healtey, Parrish, Barker, PMB, Cullen, Backstrom were all coming off. So last year and this year were the years to grow. Maybe even next year. Then make the move. We got a gift and took it. Now the plan changed and the expectations on Yeo changed. He has not delivered.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it's all silly. doesn't even rate a curse word anymore.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Sharppi
Interestingggghnnngg

Wild needs to generate more shots. How do we generate more shots on goal?

Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Better breakouts, better puck movement through the NZ, better puck control in the offensive zone, not passing up shots, moving feet on the PP, getting better shooters in scoring position on the PP...

Old
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Better breakouts, better puck movement through the NZ, better puck control in the offensive zone, not passing up shots, moving feet on the PP, getting better shooters in scoring position on the PP...
but that all sounds like player issues. aside from the better shooters in scoring positions part, but that might be really hard considering how few "good" or above shooters we have--if the other team has done any homework they know who they are and will be watching them. We're better off hoping crappy shooters will get a handful of shots off per pp and eventually one will get in.
Heatley for instance is always draped on during PPs. thats why he can't get shots off most of the time. someone is always on his nuts.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Personally I think a different defensive zone strategy would give them quicker and more frequent breakouts which would help the NZ movement and the zone entries and getting more odd man rushes.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Personally I think a different defensive zone strategy would give them quicker and more frequent breakouts which would help the NZ movement and the zone entries and getting more odd man rushes.
i'm with you on that, but cautiously. we've been a lot better defensively lately IMO and it might be a tradeoff that doesn't pay out switching it up.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:10 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

There are a number of teams around the league that are not living up to expectations, and the rumors are starting to grow as to the safety of their head coaches job: Flyers, Canucks, Yotes, Buffalo (they already fired theirs), add any underperforming cap spending team.

Granted it is all speculation at this point, but we all know there will be a couple coaches who get fired this year, probably during the summer, but who knows.

Which potential coach would you be interested in?

Again, this is all speculation, but I'm tired of just *****ing about Yeo at this point.

Coaches need to coach. If they aren't doing that well, they need to go (and will in most situations). Coaches who don't win, don't have a long life expectancy on a team. We can't wait two or three more years for Yeo to maybe figure his **** out.

Personally, I would love the Wild to take a run at Laviolette if he became available. I wanted him initially, and would really like to see what his mindset could do with this team. I do not want some overly defensive-minded coach again. I know it is very important, but I would like to see a little better of a balance between offense and defence. The way Yeo coaches is very passive in the defensive end, which makes it only harder to get any offense going. I would like to see a more aggressive team.

It kills me to watch a team like the Avs. We win more games, but they are more dynamic, and I believe have greater potential once they figure out their offense and defensive balance. We have the potential to be more dynamic, but we need a different coach to do so.

Yeo does not know how to work with the parts he is given. He has only shown that he knows one way to do things, and if that does not work, he is a deer in the headlights. Then to make matters worse, he beats his head against the same wall over and over, thinking he can make it work his way. It's like a child trying to jam various sizes of circular tubes into the star hole.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

NHL network analyst seemed to think Laviolette will be fired soon if they don't turn it around. If we don't make playoffs with this payroll, I just don't see how Leipold wouldn't call for Yeo's head. Team has been playing better lately, but nowhere near expectations yet. I kind of want to fast forward to game 40 and see where we stand.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:54 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I want Tippett. It'll have to be after the season, but that should be the target.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Totally thought of TP when Yeo threw that fourth line out for the offensive zone draw with a few minutes left...and then put the top line out for the defensive zone draw right after. Like...does he hate scoring goals? Why would you put your least productive players on the ice late in a tied game in the most advantageous scoring position? Just ridiculous.

That and the Granlund thing, also ridiculous. Unless we somehow find out there was some unspoken agreement he would never be sent down. I mean, third line, fourth line, scratch is the pattern over and over again. Yet Coyle gets top pairing and while he's not looking bad, isn't looking great either.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

and yet here we are, about to take the division lead tonight despite everything. if we make the playoffs, there is no way in hell Yeo is getting fired despite what anyone thinks of our powerplay. and they will let him finish the season.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 950
I think we take enough shots we just miss the net so many times. For every shot we take we usually miss at least that many which is not acceptable. Obviously, we can get better, but I think it just starts with hitting the net,

Stop complaining about Yeo goes. He has us 2 points out of 3rd in the conference. Your grasping at straws because he isn't giving your favorite player the ice team you think he deserves...whoever that may be.

He's going to finish out the year as coach. ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. And he will probably stay through next year no matter what as well. At the very least...if he's so terrible he will be fired midway through next year.

Suck it up. Stop complaining about the coach. He's not going anywhere and through everything he's not doing that bad of a job.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
I think we take enough shots we just miss the net so many times. For every shot we take we usually miss at least that many which is not acceptable. Obviously, we can get better, but I think it just starts with hitting the net,

Stop complaining about Yeo goes. He has us 2 points out of 3rd in the conference. Your grasping at straws because he isn't giving your favorite player the ice team you think he deserves...whoever that may be.

He's going to finish out the year as coach. ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. And he will probably stay through next year no matter what as well. At the very least...if he's so terrible he will be fired midway through next year.

Suck it up. Stop complaining about the coach. He's not going anywhere and through everything he's not doing that bad of a job.
Agree 100%

Old
03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Granlund is not my favorite player, he's not ready for the NHL.

Look, I haven't seen anything out of Yeo as a coach that makes me feel he's doing the Wild any favors. He has improved the team's defense, which is good. But the offense is still stagnant and the power play is much worse under his tenure. I keep hearing about players needing to buy in to his forecheck but it doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Wild have an extremely tough schedule coming up. We'll see where they are on the other side of it.

Closed Thread