HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Booth is a similar player to Mason Raymond with four key differences:
-better balance
-worse hockey sense
-worse stickhandler
-won't shock you with the occasional upstairs roof shot

Old
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I would like a Booth Schroeder Kassian line please, I also have a lot of time for how Booth plays the game.
Fail

The less time Schroeder is on the ice the greater the chance of the Canucks winning.
He's a poor man's Steve Kariya, a Josh Holden wannabe, a past his prime Dan Woodley.

Get over him already.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
Fail

The less time Schroeder is on the ice the greater the chance of the Canucks winning.
He's a poor man's Steve Kariya, a Josh Holden wannabe, a past his prime Dan Woodley.

Get over him already.
I read your post and would still like to see that line.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Johnny Canucker

I wish we had a few less Booth/Raymond/Schroeder types
(skate fast, head down, no creativity, little chance of scoring)

and a couple Mark Recchi/Peter Sykora that all they could do is light the lamp and nothing else.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
I wish we had a few less Booth/Raymond/Schroeder types
(skate fast, head down, no creativity, little chance of scoring)

and a couple Mark Recchi/Peter Sykora that all they could do is light the lamp and nothing else.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

A waste of cap space who will hopefully be dumped on someone shortly or bought out completely in the summer. Canucks could be in cap jail if not, especially after Gillis played poker with the Leafs on Luongo and lost.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Golden Boy
The Spy in Beantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
Booth needs to somehow find chemistry with a teammate. He plays a very similar game to Hansen, but has superior offensive skills. The only problem is he doesn't have a Higgins to gel with. IDK who can fill that role.
I would argue that Hansen is the more complete player. Hansen is probably one of the most underrated playmakers/passers on the team. He may not shoot well, but his passes are usually good, coupled with his tenacious forecheck and speed, and defensive awareness. Booth doesn't always compete in the defensive zone, and doesn't have the vision that Hansen does. The only way that they are similar in my opinion is their speed, that's about it.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
He might suffer from the "Rick Nash" syndrome. His play makes him look like he should produce 2x as much as he actually does. Oh well, great for advanced stats.
Lappy has been on for 7 in 22. Higgins 14 in 22. Hansen is 21 in 21! Even the much maligned MayRay has been on for 19 gf in 22 games.

Small sample sizes and all, but I don't know if he's contributing that much on the ice this year either. Team has scored 1 goal with him on the ice in 7 games. But like I said he's looked like a reasonable player the last 2 games and if he keeps it up (some nice neutral zone passes, good speed and drive) the team should start scoring with him out there.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus

Old
03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Yeah real creative head down and wrister in to the crest.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
I would argue that Hansen is the more complete player. Hansen is probably one of the most underrated playmakers/passers on the team. He may not shoot well, but his passes are usually good, coupled with his tenacious forecheck and speed, and defensive awareness. Booth doesn't always compete in the defensive zone, and doesn't have the vision that Hansen does. The only way that they are similar in my opinion is their speed, that's about it.
Hansen is a BOSS. take him over Higgens/Kassian/Shroeder/Raymond any day.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Yeah real creative head down and wrister in to the crest.
Schroeder is arguably that 3rd most creative player on our team, behind the Sedins. I would say he's more creative than Hodgson (since everyone's in love with him); his creativeness is what got him drafted in the first round in the first place...

Old
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
Booth is what he is: an overrated player who can skate fast and drive the net but is a black hole offensively. Plays go to die when they land within his vicinity.

I watched his first thirty games as a Canuck and just had this feeling that there was no breaking in period with this guy, despite how many believed otherwise. What we saw was what we got and so far, he hasn't proven me wrong there.
His first 30 games as a Canuck:

30 GP, 10 G, 10 A, 20 PTS

Not sure about you, but for what David Booth is as a player I'd be more than happy to see him put up 27 goals and 27 assists in 82 games. In fact his first 30 games have probably been his most memorable as a Canuck.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

His hockey sense is the only missing part of his game, the most important part.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
His first 30 games as a Canuck:

30 GP, 10 G, 10 A, 20 PTS

Not sure about you, but for what David Booth is as a player I'd be more than happy to see him put up 27 goals and 27 assists in 82 games. In fact his first 30 games have probably been his most memorable as a Canuck.
How about his last 23 games?

23 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 3 PTS

Add in terrible defence, no playmaking, his injury risk, no chemistry with anybody, other than occasional heads down rushes and some hitting he brings nothing valuable to the hockey team at a 4.2 million dollar price. We could pick up two guys that can grind just as well for that price.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Johnny Canucker

Top 6 players shouldnt be missing tap ins

Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Lappy has been on for 7 in 22. Higgins 14 in 22. Hansen is 21 in 21! Even the much maligned MayRay has been on for 19 gf in 22 games.

Small sample sizes and all, but I don't know if he's contributing that much on the ice this year either. Team has scored 1 goal with him on the ice in 7 games. But like I said he's looked like a reasonable player the last 2 games and if he keeps it up (some nice neutral zone passes, good speed and drive) the team should start scoring with him out there.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus
The team shoots a putrid 2.3% when Booth is on the ice, it will at least double that. Booth will eventually get his goals.

In the meantime Booth draws a lot more penalties then he takes which doesn't show up in personal stats but when our PP clicks it will definitely help out.

I'm not too worried about Booth he's been playing some good hockey for 10 months off and he isn't even being sheltered. The biggest surprise thus far (advanced stats wise) is the play of Jordan Schroeder, disappointing to say the least.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
The team shoots a putrid 2.3% when Booth is on the ice, it will at least double that. Booth will eventually get his goals.

In the meantime Booth draws a lot more penalties then he takes which doesn't show up in personal stats but when our PP clicks it will definitely help out.

I'm not too worried about Booth he's been playing some good hockey for 10 months off and he isn't even being sheltered. The biggest surprise thus far (advanced stats wise) is the play of Jordan Schroeder, disappointing to say the least.
It is? He's doing about average in possession stats (and was doing better until he got moved to the 4th line) and has had crap luck with his PDO, so just like Booth he should break out of his slump soon enough.

The biggest problem for him has been that he hasn't found chemistry with anyone other than Raymond. Possession wise they've both been worse apart than together.

Last edited by Tiranis: 03-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
How about his last 23 games?

23 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 3 PTS

Add in terrible defence, no playmaking, his injury risk, no chemistry with anybody, other than occasional heads down rushes and some hitting he brings nothing valuable to the hockey team at a 4.2 million dollar price. We could pick up two guys that can grind just as well for that price.
I wasn't trying to attack all arguments, just one.

But Booth is coming off injury and needs to be treated with patience. When he's on he's a very useful player for us. One that drives the net with confidence and throws his body out there. When he's not, well I think you know.

But let me ask you, when the Sedins aren't scoring what exactly is it that they bring to the table? It's the same argument you present, with the same answer. Of course they score more often, but besides some playoff series it's been the same story.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Schroeder is arguably that 3rd most creative player on our team, behind the Sedins. I would say he's more creative than Hodgson (since everyone's in love with him); his creativeness is what got him drafted in the first round in the first place...
Arguably is correct.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It is? He's doing about average in possession stats (and was doing better until he got moved to the 4th line) and has had crap luck with his PDO, so just like Booth he should break out of his slump soon enough.

The biggest problem for him has been that he hasn't found chemistry with anyone other than Raymond. Possession wise they've both been worse apart than together.
Schroeder's biggest problem is that he only generates 1 shot per game. He won't stay in the NHL unless he can double that number, at least. Schroeder isn't driving the net with the puck enough and this will have to change if he wants to stick around.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
Fail

Get over him already.
Wow have you seen lapierre play lately? Schroeders playing with grinders and is vastly miscast, someone who can distribute the puck like schroeder would be a much better option. I am not saying schroeder is the answer as 3c long term, but he is a better option then lapierre right now who has been a black hole.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Schroeder's biggest problem is that he only generates 1 shot per game. He won't stay in the NHL unless he can double that number, at least. Schroeder isn't driving the net with the puck enough and this will have to change if he wants to stick around.
If this were his 2nd season, I would agree. In his first year though? He has time. Not the first guy to put low shot totals in his first season.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
crazyforhockey

last game he looked very good ... very impressive for a guy just off the IR... and getting up to speed

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
some people on here think hes 'the most creative player outside of Sedins' . 1 shot per game........not exactly offense generator.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
I can't see him doing any better with the cards he is dealt at the moment, If he's given a better role, say in Lappys place, he will do better.

Closed Thread