HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What must Edmonton do

Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 PM
McMercy

vCash: 500
It would be foolish to trade any of the young guns right now. We have to keep Gagner because young offense producing centers like him are expensive. Trade Hemsky and future (2014 picks) for a power winger on the left. We draft Barkov at the draft, we will probably "Finnish" in range for him. If not trade up. Hit the Ufa market hard and trade unused roster players and picks to fill holes.

Hall-RNH-Yak
Paarjvi-Gagner-Eberle
Clowe-Barkov-Clarkson
Eager-Horcoff/Belanger-Jones/Brown

I know it's a little unreal but not impossible. This is what winning teams look like. Players that can move up and down the line up and still be productive. The depth of Oil is weak and nobody can truly play as strong on the puck as they do without it. We need a Center prospect with size and skill behind Gagner and two power forwards, and an upgrade on roster depth. Pittsburgh had 5 big picks before becoming the team they are, the guys are young and playing a new system that I feel is holding them back because of splitting focus on defensive responsibility. Not a bad thing but takes adjustment.

Last edited by McMercy: 03-06-2013 at 11:23 PM.
McMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Maybe we can get a hypnotist to make the player think they are the following:

nuge=gretzky
hall=messier
ebs=kurri
yak=anderson
schultz=coffey
hemsky=klima (just because)

I once heard shaun Van allen got knocked silly and didn't know his name. Ted Green piped up and said " tell him he is Wayne Gretzky!" hey it could work.
Nah

Nuge = Gretzky/Gretzky lite
Hall - Anderson
Ebs = Someone we didn't have in our hay days. His 2 way play isn't good enough to compare him to Kurri.
Yakupov = Someone we didn't have in our hay days.
Schultz = Coffey
Hemsky = Hemsky.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Don't know if the Oilers or their fans would even consider moving Yakupov, but that's what needs to be done. They need more balance. I'm not talking in one for one deals, but for 2 or 3 good assets that are close to sure bets to be productive contributors to the overall team success.

If they could get Despres, Harrington/Dumoulin, Kennedy and maybe their 2013 1st for Yakupov (and maybe something minor) they'd give their team that much better balance and would be better for it. The return may not be "sexy" but it would be beneficial and I think the value is there. Penguins will be tempted to add a scoring winger for Crosby.

*** Just an unbiased opinion from a fan of neither the Oilers or the Penguins***

Last edited by untouchable21: 03-06-2013 at 11:23 PM.
untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
McMercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Don't know if the Oilers or their fans would even consider moving Yakupov, but that's what needs to be done. They need more balance. I'm not talking in one for one deals, but for 2 or 3 good assets that are close to sure bets to be productive contributors to the overall team success.

If they could get Despres, Harrington/Dumoulin, Kennedy and maybe their 2013 1st for Yakupov (and maybe something minor) they'd give their team that much better balance and would be better for it. The return may not be "sexy" but it would be beneficial and I think the value is there. Penguins will be tempted to add a scoring winger for Crosby.

*** Just an unbiased opinion from a fan of neither the Oilers or the Penguins***
Disagree! Better options than making a powerhouse even better. Other teams have better prospects and role players. If I did move Yak it would be for quality.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
donut
#TeamATC

vCash: 21342
You need skilled and gritty players. Players such as Lucic, Clowe, Backes to name a few. A top-2 D-man would be very helpful too. Consider moving Whitney for prospects/picks at the trade deadline as well as Hemsky.

donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:53 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93calder2012 View Post
Disagree! Better options than making a powerhouse even better. Other teams have better prospects and role players. If I did move Yak it would be for quality.
Despres and Harrington both are quality defensemen that would help make the Oilers better in the long run.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Markus078

Other coach, that's hart to swallow, I'm Austrian and Ralph Krueger has done legendary work here with the VEU Feldkirch. But it seems that he is more suited to the European hockey.

Grit and heart. By looking at your team and the drafting you had it's a shame this team is still where it is - miles away! From my point of view this team has a born looser mentality. Most of your superskilled forwards are made for the grinding play. That's what wins! If your team is on PP you will be fine but as long as you are on ES or PK you will need those type of players who grind out everything of your opponent.

Defense, as a Ducks fan I hate to say but you have one of the best offensive D prospect in the league in Justin Schultz. But what's else? Smid is fine but I see the rest in the mold of softer additional players.

Goaltending, well I think that's the biggest issue, I'm not sold on one of your goalies.

Tons of holes in my opinion. I do also believe the Oilers have a window now. When all of your young skilled forwards get their second contract you will have problems finding the filling pieces CAP wise. You will loose at least one of RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Schultz to get the return you will need. Gagner will not be enough.

Just my two cents, nothing more!

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Momesso

The Oilers need a new coach, and some quality depth to support their young nucleus. IMO they don't need to trade any of their big 5 (including J.Schultz here).

What's sad is that Tambi and Lowe haven't made any decent picks or acquisitions outside of those #1 picks and winning the lottery with J. Schultz.

Losing character guys like Brodziak and Stoll and Greene makes a bigger impact than you think.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:40 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
The young oilers are still growing.. un-brainwashing renneys system from their minds and having to learn kreugers new fresh system is a bit difficult especially since the kids played in OKC for most of the year where they played a different more offensive game there. As a result the oilers are missing the net on their shots because they are being rushed to get them off, due to the new transition tactics employed in kreugers system. Give them some time folks, t's only been 20 something games. They will develop more patience and start putting those pucks on net.

The management knows they have holes, they know which players they want to fill them, but they wait for the right timing to do so. They still have to purge a few players from the system and get one or two more high draft picks this season and next before they will plug all the holes and move forward towards the playoffs.

there's a reason why lots of the oilers contracts all end at the 13-14 season, its because thats where they will become serious contenders. It's basically teaching the kids how to play until then, and letting the team take its knocks.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:49 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I post this under speculation because i am just thinking how to fix this once proud Team
You're asking this question on HF?

According to HF, the ONLY way to become a Stanley Cup contender is to first become a lottery team. Just keep at it. You're only a few more 1st overall picks away.

Last edited by flameaholic: 03-07-2013 at 01:59 AM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:54 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Craig Mac-T is/was coaching material, but not for the style of game we Oil fans insist on watching.
What does this mean?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:02 AM
PariseSuterKoivu

They need a smart, high character veteran wing on each of the top 2 lines to show the kids what it takes to win.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
well thats not gonna happen with 18M$ spent on khabi whitney horcoff and hemsky

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:21 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I am a Die hard Oilers fan . I love the skill they put together , but they are not scoring enough to make the playoffs . I have mention it before the Oilers need more grid and physical play and we need to trade a skill guy . Other Oilers fan jumped down my throat say skill trumps grit . I disagree . You need a balance . I will also say i think GMST is a joke he does nothing to improve our team . I do not want to see his smiling face again if we end up with a lottery pick .
Please help me fix my Oilers threw . Trade , UFA and drafts .
I post this under speculation because i am just thinking how to fix this once proud Team
OP, The growing pains you feel are normal for team development.
Most of the time you did well taking the best player available early on,
Now of course, they can't all be hits.
You've got some really nice prospect D around the corner.
Balance is important, it helps, but its not everything.
Chemistry more so, but it also is not everything.
Talent, IMO, is the single biggest factor, but even that is not enough all by itself.
Luck, timing, are all factors.

Another issue is getting the proper return.
Rangers and Oilers are complementary on paper, but have not made a major deal lately because the exact combo cannot be agreed upon.

to bottom line it, a big time deal that simultaneously hurts and helps could be done by both.

This is not do-able today because Staal got hurt, though a full recovery is expected. But for example....

Oilers need more D now, plus grit.
Rangers need righty complement for McD who can QB point + more snipers

Yakupov + J Schultz + Hemsky + Potter + Pitlick
for
Staal + Girardi + Stepan + Boyle + Michael St. Croix + Andrew Yogan

On paper, this can be shown to work and arguably is approximately balanced.
But many Ranger fans are too fixated on D to surrender even 1, let alone their balanced L-R pair of All Star backliners. And on your side, Schultz is viewed untouchable by most, though there is more open mindedness about moving Yakupov,

Analysis of the above btw...
Staal + Girardi are real solid D = your new 1st pair
Stepan established quality 2c w/upside, main thing he does you need is distribute the puckl which allows for more kick ass solid top 2 lines. Gagner goes to third line, makes more secondary scoring, and Brian Boyle provides hard work, 6'-7" size, shutdown defense. St. Croix (a speedy W) and Yogan (a taller C) have a track record of scoring.
You are losing some scoring, but you have enough firepower to spare,
Would have considered Horcoff as a sweetener instead of Hemsky, but Rangers can't take on expensive longer term contract.

for NY
suspect Schultz did not opt to come here initially not because of McD, but because of Torts and this crazy system that has tooooooooooo much blocking. I have no love for Torts and if it is an issue for JSchultz, then get rid of Torts sooner than later.

McDonagh - Schultz
MDZ - Stralman
Gilroy - Potter
Eminger reserve for this year, McIlrath hopefully next year

Yakupov - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider Hemsky Nash
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Powe Halpern Pyatt

Pitlick a nice C prospect w. speed, needs to develop more, but a decent project. Could be a 4th line C in 2ish years.

It is hoped Lindberg, Fast will surprise next year. If so, depending upon play, Richards an amnesty buy out early next year or end of year, cannot be traded due to cap recovery.

Hemsky now playing decent, not worth the $$. but that deal ends next year. Depending upon if Gaborik signs 3ish years for a little less, he stays or is dealt for assets, possibly helping add to D and C depth.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Oilwings

Fire Tambo and KLowe. Tank the season, there are no positives left in the season. None so whatever. Get in position to draft Jones. Franchise dman are hardly ever traded. Take Jones with the #1 pick. Trade RNH for the 2nd overall pick and take MacKinnon. Trade Eberle or Yakupov for the 3rd overall pick and take Barkov. Centre position will be set for the next decade. A GM with half a brain will be able to bring 2 wingers with size with the 2 2nd round picks we have. Trade Hemsky and Gagner for more established players or to Pittsburg for Despres and Harrington/Morrow/Bennett. Engage in trade talks with LA to get Bernier. Buyout Horcoff and Smyth. Move DD to another team like the Panthers for Kulikov.

A new GM will have the following core to work with.

Hall MacKinnon Eberle/Yakupov
???? Barkov Bennett

Jones J. Schultz
Klefbom Despres
Kulikov N. Schultz

Bernier

This is of course a huge shakeup and is needed in a huge way.
Also get some new jerseys.

A new GM, a new coach, new jerseys and a new rink in 2 yrs.

Last edited by Oilwings: 03-07-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

Oilers need to draft Barkov.

Then get one good d-man.

Get rid of Hemsky and Horcoff + one d-man.

If Hemsky/Horcoff/that one d-man/some pick or prospect will get us an upgrade to the defence and the chance to draft Barkov, we will be more than fine.

Barkov would be a good 3rd lince center next year and I think it would be the perfect role for him to start his career.

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Try and trade Yak to whatever team is picking Seth Jones and then draft another less stellar forward with there own pick.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:51 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

balance.
first, their to small down the middle on their top 2 lines. You won't win in this league with two small centers anchoring your offense, if I were them I wouldn't be banking on any of their prospects with size being able to handle it. they have to sign, or trade for a bigger, more physical top 2 line center.

next, their defense is just mediocre, that d core will never go anywhere unless you score an insane amount of goals.

I like them on the wings, but top teams are built down the middle, it's hockey 101

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Connor Mcdavey
5-14-6-1

vCash: 636
fire the incompetent gm and everything will fall into place.

Connor Mcdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Paralyzer008

A better built bottom six, a top six power forward, a No.2 D-man

That's honestly about it, but that's enough pieces to make them a non-playoff team. Just ask Calgary, they are probably a No.1 C from making the playoffs but they never can get one.

Clowe fits your power forward bill, no one else will be available to fill that spot. Probably need to find a d-man with a Hemsky + Paajarvi package, I like Horcoff but if he was amnestied then they have more flexibility. Hartikainen would be the eventual Smyth replacement. If Edmonton waits until 2014, Phaneuf is a solid fit as a UFA if he makes it to July 1. Not many available d-men.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Brown

J.Schultz-?
Smid-Petry
N.Schultz-Klefbom
Fistric

Dubnyk
UFA/trade goalie backup

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 03-07-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:18 AM
major major

1. There is a serious problem. The Oilers have been getting outplayed even more this year than in previous years, and the biggest reason is their inability to win/maintain possession in puck battles. All 4 lines.

2. The problem is not just youth. Its also imbalance. They need stronger puck battlers in the top six; Eberle and Nuge won't grow into it.

3. Ryan Clowe is only part of the solution, as he doesn't score much anymore and is at best a middle sixer. A gritty top line scorer would be a huge improvement.

4. Who to move, besides Hemsky?

Yakupov is amazingly skilled. Insane shot. But he is less valuable to the Oilers than to many other teams around the league, who would pay a huge amount to acquire him.

The #1 is a huge asset, and potentially very high in a good draft, but the Oilers have so much youth its getting bad for their youth. The pick is worth more to another team.

Trading either Yakupov or the pick would return huge value, and purchase the top line grit and defensive improvements to make the Oilers instantly a much better team.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:53 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Just want to say I appreciate the folks who contributed actual proposals (nice to have an outside perspective). It's easy to say "trade one of the big 5 for a center with size or top4 D"...it's a lot harder to find a hockey deal that's good for BOTH sides. You don't want to just give away a young superstar...and in the same breath, other teams aren't going to hand over theirs (I'm looking at you OEL!). So that suggestion is kind of meaningless without something to back it up.

PS: Fire Tambo and Lowe already!

JJTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:59 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
They must trade Taylor Hall to the Sharks. That Will Fix Everything.
Hall is their best player and will be last to go

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:09 AM
McMercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
OP, The growing pains you feel are normal for team development.
Most of the time you did well taking the best player available early on,
Now of course, they can't all be hits.
You've got some really nice prospect D around the corner.
Balance is important, it helps, but its not everything.
Chemistry more so, but it also is not everything.
Talent, IMO, is the single biggest factor, but even that is not enough all by itself.
Luck, timing, are all factors.

Another issue is getting the proper return.
Rangers and Oilers are complementary on paper, but have not made a major deal lately because the exact combo cannot be agreed upon.

to bottom line it, a big time deal that simultaneously hurts and helps could be done by both.

This is not do-able today because Staal got hurt, though a full recovery is expected. But for example....

Oilers need more D now, plus grit.
Rangers need righty complement for McD who can QB point + more snipers

Yakupov + J Schultz + Hemsky + Potter + Pitlick
for
Staal + Girardi + Stepan + Boyle + Michael St. Croix + Andrew Yogan

On paper, this can be shown to work and arguably is approximately balanced.
But many Ranger fans are too fixated on D to surrender even 1, let alone their balanced L-R pair of All Star backliners. And on your side, Schultz is viewed untouchable by most, though there is more open mindedness about moving Yakupov,

Analysis of the above btw...
Staal + Girardi are real solid D = your new 1st pair
Stepan established quality 2c w/upside, main thing he does you need is distribute the puckl which allows for more kick ass solid top 2 lines. Gagner goes to third line, makes more secondary scoring, and Brian Boyle provides hard work, 6'-7" size, shutdown defense. St. Croix (a speedy W) and Yogan (a taller C) have a track record of scoring.
You are losing some scoring, but you have enough firepower to spare,
Would have considered Horcoff as a sweetener instead of Hemsky, but Rangers can't take on expensive longer term contract.

for NY
suspect Schultz did not opt to come here initially not because of McD, but because of Torts and this crazy system that has tooooooooooo much blocking. I have no love for Torts and if it is an issue for JSchultz, then get rid of Torts sooner than later.

McDonagh - Schultz
MDZ - Stralman
Gilroy - Potter
Eminger reserve for this year, McIlrath hopefully next year

Yakupov - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider Hemsky Nash
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Powe Halpern Pyatt

Pitlick a nice C prospect w. speed, needs to develop more, but a decent project. Could be a 4th line C in 2ish years.

It is hoped Lindberg, Fast will surprise next year. If so, depending upon play, Richards an amnesty buy out early next year or end of year, cannot be traded due to cap recovery.

Hemsky now playing decent, not worth the $$. but that deal ends next year. Depending upon if Gaborik signs 3ish years for a little less, he stays or is dealt for assets, possibly helping add to D and C depth.
J Schultz won't be moving. Like most fans trade isn't as balanced as you hoped.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:23 AM
416Leafer

They need a GM with some balls. Last summer, I recall Edm fans in the trade forum saying hte idea of a Yakupov for OEL trade was absurd and a waste of a 1st overall pick... Not that Phoenix would have done it, but a player like OEL would add much more to the team than Yakupov would.

IMO if they put Yakupov, Gagner, Klefbom, and a 1st on the table, they could likely acquire a top pairing D, maybe a #1, and a 2nd line C with size. That would leave them with RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, Top Pairing D, and 2nd line C with size... Pretty solid core IMO. Better than what they have.

Enough with this Gagner + MP for your franchise player crap. Edmonton CAN greatly improve their roster, if theyre willing to move a significant piece.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote