HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If You Had To Trade One Who Would It Be, Hemsky or Gagner?

View Poll Results: If You Had To Trade One Who Would It Be, Hemsky or Gagner?
Hemsky 169 75.45%
Gagner 30 13.39%
Flip A Coin 25 11.16%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

vCash: 500
Hemmer because he is more of a known commodity. Gagner likely hasn't peaked yet. Also, positionally, it makes more sense with Yaks and Eberle on the RW.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:41 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'd flip both and never let any of the "big-3" play together ever.

I'd also consider flipping one of Yak/Ebs with Hemmer/Gagner.

But that's too drastic for some people. Maybe a 4th 29/30th place finish will help seal the deal.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Burger Baron

vCash: 300
Both...and Eberle

Gagner + Hemsky + 3nd for Berglund + Stewart
Eberle for L. Eriksson

Paajarvi Berglund Eriksson
Hall RNH Yakupov
Jones Horcoff Stewart
Hartikainen Barkov Petrell/Rajala/Brown

1st line with defense and size
2nd line with speed ans skill
Steady 3rd line
Finnish 4th line (With our 2013 pick)

Burger Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
I really don't want to see either go but I chose Hemsky as wingers are more replaceable than centers. Both have rebounded this year to have really good seasons. I also think the return for Hemsky is bigger than Gags.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Plays die on Hemsky's stick. He takes too long to make decisions, and when he makes them they're the bad ones.

Yeah, he'll score a few goals here and there, but I'm tired of seeing him loop around the net with the puck and make a bad pass instead of taking a shot.

McRib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
93calder2012

Here is my take!

Trade Hemsky at the Deadline. His value should be the highest and trade him to a team that needs scoring for a better 3rd/possible 2nd line player. We draft Barkov and slip him on 3rd line. Trade 2014(1st) pick and prospects for dmen. Fill in gaps with the best Ufa's we can attract.

Hall-RNH-Yak
MPS-Gagner-Eberle
Trade/Ufa-Barkov-Trade/Ufa
Ufa/trade/ Current roster-Horcoff-Jones/ Brown

Defense gets Klefbom, Ufa and or trade

Possible Ufa's include Clarkson, Clowe, Ect. It's a good selection. Clowe/ Clarkson would be my hopefuls they could move up and down from 2nd to 3rd adding depth. The same goes with Jones.

93calder2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Both

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:45 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Plays die on Hemsky's stick. He takes too long to make decisions, and when he makes them they're the bad ones.

Yeah, he'll score a few goals here and there, but I'm tired of seeing him loop around the net with the puck and make a bad pass instead of taking a shot.
Not to mention the limp wristed give away passes back to the point on the power play, or the getting rubbed out on the wall with the push back of an old man or the passes in his own zone to no one in particular or the cowering away from taking a hit to make a play.....

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
dss97

It depends. If we are drafting top 5 and are in a position to take Barkov, then Gagner. Otherwise Hemsky.

I don't really want to trade either, but if the package was right I would think that way.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 PM
dss97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Baron View Post
Both...and Eberle

Gagner + Hemsky + 3nd for Berglund + Stewart
Eberle for L. Eriksson

Paajarvi Berglund Eriksson
Hall RNH Yakupov
Jones Horcoff Stewart
Hartikainen Barkov Petrell/Rajala/Brown

1st line with defense and size
2nd line with speed ans skill
Steady 3rd line
Finnish 4th line (With our 2013 pick)
Dream on..

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
You'd get better value for Hemsky, but I'd rather keep Hemsky.

Gagner to me is still a work in progress. He'll continue to get better.

Honestly though, it depends on what team are trading with and what you get back.

If it's the right deal, then trade either one.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Impossible to answer without knowing the value each are getting.

I think Hemsky is ripe for a GM to overpay on, but we'd have to replace his experience. Honestly, a lot of people would hate this but if I was in charge I would be looking to cash in on a Smid and Hemsky package.

Smid is up for a contract and I'm guessing his agent is going to be asking for closer to four which is in my opinion too much for his skill set. Hemsky and Smid together should bring a upgraded Smid like player (like prime regehr) and next year Yak replaces Hemsky.

Then the tough decision gets made because some our the top six, which would be a combined thirteen years old, would have to be dealt away for experienced offensive talent. It's hard to make trades with our roster because we have so flung ourselves into development and sucked so hard, we are going to have to pick the right potential to trade away for immediate help which carries inherent risk.

Tough to trade away a player like Gagner because it could haunt you for the rest of your life, but our management is going to have to face some of those scenario's very soon or we'll continue to waste cheap contracts

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I love both, but it is Hemsky easily. His injury history alone dictates you trade him.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Gagner makes a bigger hole in the lineup if he's traded. I think he's still got more upside than Hemsky as well.

Neither is great defensively... but I think Gagner has better chemistry with those he plays with.

Hemsky is an enigma when it comes to chemistry... really tough to find linemates he meshes and clicks with on a regular basis.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
MessierII

I feel Hemsky is just a part of the losing culture here. First one off the ice at practice, plays really well for a couple games then disappears for a while etc, etc

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:08 AM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
Gagner, or both... get some size/physicality in the top six and the ability to win face-offs.

The Oilers get out shot and out chanced most games because they seldom have control of the puck, and when they do its usually an offensive zone re-entry (hope I have my hockey lingo right), which they seemingly more often than not fail at. If they won more face-offs they would control the puck more, and if they had more size and physicality, retrieving the puck in either zone - or even entering the zone - would be easier. Heck, even the fellows covering the games are seeing it and calling the Oilers on it.

After a few more years of seasoning this may no longer be the case, as Hall and Eberle and Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins will not only be a little bigger and stronger, but they will be wiser and a little more seasoned as well. (I hope you like the play on words - seasoning/seasoned = hockey season - its as witty as I get before morning coffee ).

Hemsky has all-world talent, but, and I have been saying/seeing it for years, he is an enigma of a player and I am sure an enigma to play with. Gagner is a good player; bless his heart and drive. But despite all this and despite his points, I still don't see him as the 2C the Oilers need. Perhaps trade Hemsky and try Gagner at wing... personally, I would like to see both gone, Yakupov playing 2RW, and a better 2C and big and mean 2LW (or 1LW and try Hall on a line with Yakupov).

Its obviously much easier said than done - with a slight qualification, I imagine both Gagner's and Hemsky's values are quite high right now.

Trade away the enigma, and trade away Gagner - not because he isn't the sort of player 'we' should be wanting, but because - in his particular role - he is not the player 'we' are needing.

longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:38 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I feel Hemsky is just a part of the losing culture here. First one off the ice at practice, plays really well for a couple games then disappears for a while etc, etc
First player off the ice but the first player on the score sheet! Hemskys practice habits are way overblown here. The Edmonton media can turn the fans on any player. I won't disagree with the losing culture though, Gagner has been around for a long time too but he always seems to be motivated and works through it.

I've gone to numerous open practices and I've never seen Hemsky skate off early. The entire team gets off the ice at the same time except for the rookies who pick up pucks. Hemsky has left early plenty of times, probably due to a nagging injury.

The media here is ridiculous.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Horcoff, Hemsky, and recently Smyth are pretty much first off. Seen Eberle and Hall bail pretty quick most times I've been at practice as well.

Guess which one isn't a good old Canadian boy....

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Rains

Hemmer for sure, there is much more replacements for him as a winger as opposed a center. Plus I'm kinda done with his 1 great game out of 8.

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Koto

Hemsky, we need the C.

Although I'd trade Eberle or Yakupov...since we could actually get something for them.

Run with top-6RW of Yakupov/Eberle + Hemsky

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Horcoff, Hemsky, and recently Smyth are pretty much first off. Seen Eberle and Hall bail pretty quick most times I've been at practice as well.

Guess which one isn't a good old Canadian boy....
Really? I am disappointed in the young guys. It's not like Ebs is killing it this year. I guess they already got their contracts.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Really? I am disappointed in the young guys. It's not like Ebs is killing it this year. I guess they already got their contracts.
Well I haven't been to any after the beginning of the year pretty much so it could be different now that they are slumping.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:28 PM
NMK

Gagner is only 23, is a better scorer, could play center or wing, is a better leader, has more grit, and is money in shootouts.
I love Hemsky, but if the two could fetch the same player that would make us a better team, you trade Hemsky in a heartbeat.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Moneypuck

Move them both, along with Smid, or the first rounder in 2014 for Shea Weber.

Hall moves to center next fall to make room for Drouin. With a good looking top 6 along with an undisputed top pairing blueliner, things will be much differnet next season. Anyone know of a near perennial .925 goaltender that's available?

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Move them both, along with Smid, or the first rounder in 2014 for Shea Weber.

Hall moves to center next fall to make room for Drouin. With a good looking top 6 along with an undisputed top pairing blueliner, things will be much differnet next season. Anyone know of a near perennial .925 goaltender that's available?
No offense, but you have lost your mind.